The Dow Chemical Company

The Dow Chemical Company Employee Reviews in Canada

fast pace, technology based work Enviorment
Sr. Analytical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABMarch 6, 2016
Great place to work as long as upper management likes you. lots of areas for in-house training but little to no support for off site training. I have gained knowledge of troubleshooting instrumentation, method validation, and quality control. I’ve work with many advanced technologies like Sulfur chemiluminescence detector (SCD), Capillary Flow Technology (CFT), and pressurized liquid injection system (PLIS). There was a wide variety of co-workers at Dow many are nice few are not. The hardest part of the job was always justifying your existence and the importance of your position. Since I started a career at DOW two plants where shutdown and lots of cutbacks. The most enjoyable part of the job was the flexibility to get the job done. No one was over your shoulder telling you what you should do and in what order. You had your job responsibilities and you needed to do them.
Pros
Benifits, Pension
Cons
Very territorial
great work culture
Field Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABAugust 10, 2015
Good management. high safety standards. safety awards. occasional free meals. good moral. shift options. chance for advancement.
Pros
free lunchs
Cons
long hours at ties
Great plant, other operators are good, but management incompetent which doesn't help morale.
Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort SaskJanuary 26, 2013
If management could get with the times and treat the operations staff better, than there wouldn't be a better place to work. Unfortunately their degrees don't automatically give them the required knowledge or training to be a "REAL" manager. Many empty promises to look into things that never materialize.

As far as plant goes, it is top notch.
Pros
good work schedule, good opportunities such as temporary assignments around the world if desired, good fellow operators
Cons
management poor, compensation just below area average

Comment – June 4, 2013

seems to be common trend, incompetent management!

The Great Place To Understand Your Future Goal
Process Automation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Alberta, CanadaJuly 15, 2015
I work as a process automation engineer, daily from 8-5 pm. I always have issue with the lake of understanding of other people culture from some high management personal.
Pros
Strong Knowledge
Cons
Poor Multiculture
their good
Shutdown General Foreman (Former Employee) –  Red deer,abOctober 2, 2015
I worked for Dow many times. The Dow people where quit good i didn't mind working for them and would work for them again. I like working for this company.
Shift work is a pain as i was an operator for 30 years
Chief Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONAugust 11, 2015
Dow Chemical for me was a good fit for me due to my background in the different areas i had worked before i was hired there.
The people i worked with were top notch and could not ask for anyone better.
The worst part of the job was the shift work, missing holidays and kids birthdays and events at their schools.
Global corporate company
Inventory/Buyer/Operations (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABMarch 18, 2015
Excellent company to work for as I was able to develop my career with continuing education to advance and stay motivated. Enjoyed working in the team environment.
Pros
Professional company to work for
Cons
Hazardous exposure to chemicals
process operations require more than just physical effort.It is a time learned skill that takes more than just class room bookwork.It takes years.
Chief Operator/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SKSeptember 17, 2012
great work force.
challenging employment.
Dow showed patience in developing peoples skills and allowed anyone with the ambition to strive forward as far as they wanted to.
A typical day of work was usually full of challenges and as chief the hardest part of my job was trying to stay impartial in dealing with people, both co-workers and management. If you were good at your job you learned every day and I enjoyed every bit of it.
Good work life balance.
Lead Estimator (Current Employee) –  Fort SaskatchewanSeptember 17, 2014
Good work life balance.

Friendly staff.

Very good safety culture.
Close to home
Piping and Instrumentation Drafter (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABJune 14, 2013
A typical day is from 7:30-4:00, and that is flexible. I have learned the Dow way of doing things, the management is present but not mircromanaged. The people I work with on a day to day basis are cooperative and friendly. The hardest part is not being able to advance. I really enjoy the flexibility of having the opportunity to do my outside of work activities
Pros
flexibility, close to home
Cons
not being able to advance
great work environment
Scaffolder/Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABNovember 18, 2013
Team meeting to start in the morning.
Forman would break everyone into teams.
Each team would have a scaffold to erect or tear down
learning about scaffolding was very enjoyable in a team work environment.
Pros
great balance between work and life
Cons
dangerous
working conditions
Field Coordinator (Former Employee) –  PrentissJune 27, 2012
Very good people to work with. Treated with respect..Culture they thrive for is second to none.