The Cotton On Group

The Cotton On Group Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Former employee 7 plus years Lara Warehouse
Replenishmant / Inventory (Former Employee), Lara, VICJune 13, 2015
Pros: 50 % off staff card - if you get one and if it will work for you
Cons: low pay, bullying, lazy workers, no training, dimwit managers ......
Gave this company over 7 years of hard, honest work.
Worked public holidays, overtime and any shift they needed me to work. For what?
From day 1 I have never been trained in any role - I hit the ground running and learnt as I went along.
To be constantly harassed and bullied and discriminated against.
Bullies taking pot shots at fellow workers. They know they can get away with it. Formal complaints land on deaf ears.
Being told to sell out customer orders when it is available but the manager wont let us do our jobs properly.
In online one day I was forced to short sell 200 customer orders. I refused but they ignored me and wondered why the customers rang in complaining. Entering customer orders on system as being sent when they are still being packed - just to meet daily Kpi. The order turn around should be 48 hours - it is closer to 5 days.
The only way to be promoted is to play sport, be related or friends with someone high up, or be a male.
Dumb young new workers being promoted above those with experience and having the nerve to ask those experienced in role to train them. Then they think they can stand around and do nothing but talk to each other.
Managers that are friends or family of company owner. That is the only reason they became managers.
This company is a joke. It made me into a person that I did not like and I was always frustrated with their attitude towards workers. We were a number and our opinion or work values meant nothing. I am so glad I resigned in the end and am glad to see the back of them. I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone.
the worst job experience I've ever had!
store manager (Former Employee), VADecember 22, 2012
Pros: discount
Cons: human resources, senior management. understaffing, no payroll...the list is endless
where do I begin...I was so excited that a new company was coming to the area, I had heard and such great things about the product, I did my research on their website and their values were something I was looking for in a new company. as a very successful retail manager I came with tons of experience both on the operation and visual end, little did I know I was hired as a "glorified sales associate" the company does all the hiring and recruiting, human resources consists of one person that seems to handle everything for the entire company...I was expected to run an entire store on my own from fitting room to shipment ringing out customers while still maintaining a high level of customer service all while executing visual merchandising updates that came in on a daily basis, all done by one person...meal and rest periods are non existent! I was lucky to get a full break...the district manager would micro manage everything...she had no clue what was going on half the time...unrealistic goals and expectations were set..when expressing my concerns her reaponse was "this is the way it's always been done" wow! the funny thing is she is no longer with the company..I'm sure age left for the same reasons...it's just a horrible situation...I do not recommend this company...the need to get a lot of stuff together...like their pos system...the first few weeks I was open I was only able to ring out cash transactions because their register system is a disaster...and only 2 people handle IT for the entire country! insane! overall keep looking for other employment not worth it!
No room to grow, horrible depressing work environment
Store Manager (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 3, 2012
Pros: every other weekend off and all sundays off
Cons: everything else
I was a store manager at Cotton and had over ten years of retail management experience behind me. I was recruited coming in telling me this was a great expanding company with a lot of room for growth. The expectations are impossible for a manager to do. You are always alone and always tasking with very little time to help customers. Loss prevention is a nightmare as nothing is sensored and you are there alone in a large store. The benefits for the company are horrible and often are not accepted or dropped by local doctor's offices. Vacation is also a big issue as you are promised one thing but then told another. Also good luck being paid on time or correctly as the timeteq system is a joke and often wrong and when payroll goes to fix time instead of directly depositing money into your account they issue you a pay card that you can use as a debit card or you can ONLY go to WalMart and take out your funds all at once but it has to be the first time but will charge you three dollars even though they say it will not. Lastly, be aware that as a store manager you are a glorified sales associate and be aware that you will be treated in a disrespectful way by upper management. I highly recommend that if you are looking for a job in retail management stay away....go to another respectable employer and take an ASM position you will get paid better and your life will be much happier.
Fun working environment
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Causeway Point; WoodlandsMarch 27, 2015
A typical day at work would be folding the clothes on the table and arranging the wall stocks, serving the customers and assisting them while ensuring the store's cleanliness.

I picked up a lot of skills throughout my 2 years of working here. Examples would be opening and closing the store, folding the clothes according to the standards, organizing and packing of stocks in the backroom, operating the cash registers and also, doing the monthly visual merchandizing changes.

Management wise was fine. I am very thankful that I got to work with managers, who are very understanding and friendly and always made work fun to come to.

My co-workers were an awesome bunch of people to work with. There's never a single day at work where I don't smile, laugh and have fun while I'm working because they made the environment fun to work in.

The hardest part of the job would be during sales period, where the store will be packed with staff and customers alike and the store will be in a mess. Often, we would only leave the store past midnight during sales period, just to ensure the store's cleanliness.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to have fun while working. I would always dance to the music that is being played within the store while I'm racking up, in a bid to keep the customers entertained and make them smile or laugh.
Fun and energetic work place
Retail manager (Former Employee), Pretoria, GPJuly 22, 2014
Pros: discounts on any of the cotton on groups stock, friendly energetic staff
Cons: long hours of standing, no parking reimbursment or assitance
I learned a lot during my time working for Typo. My manager was a little bit forgetful or disorganized at times but the staff i worked with were awesome. They were a very friendly and energetic bunch. everything during retail hours was a laugh (work was done with a smile on our faces) we worked together even between the different branches to try and obtain the best results possible. I learned to work on the P.O.S systems, was given sales training, and helped give training to some extent on the new staff. I fixed little things in stores and even as the store manager (or support manager in the beginning) took turns in doing the silly little things that make a big difference, such as displays and window washing. They have a very good training program for manager and assistant managers. they have a week of interesting hands-on theory and practical training done by a professional in the group whose sole job is to guide us. They even do a follow up and assist further down the line.
I learned to delegate and work as a team and gained a better understanding of the retail industry. Just about everything could be done by everyone in the team, with a couple of exceptions
Productive and Fun Workplace
Showing excellent customer service (Former Employee), Melbourne VICFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: 50% off clothes
Cons: cleaning
Cotton On is a really active place to work. There is always something to do, which should come as no surprise due to it being retail. A typical day at work would be greeting customers and helping them out if they can't find something or have a question about the sales. I learned a lot while working there, especially about how to solve problems and also being a customer myself that I should always think about the staff while shopping because customers don't see what happens when no one is looking. Management is amazing and very precise, they always want you to be comfortable and happy about the job and they want to make sure that your enjoying your work which is important. My co-workers are really amazing people, they are always there to help out if your stuck or need something. They are always looking out for you and making sure that everyone is getting their breaks and staying happy and enjoying work. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I make a customer smile. I love it when I can help them out and they walk away saying "wow, she was so helpful" or I when I know the answer to a question, that also makes my day.
no comment.
management, cotton on (Former Employee), brisbaneOctober 10, 2013
I did enjoy my job. Although I do think the expectations were ridiculously high in store, From budgets to getting daily tasks, getting everything done almost seemed impossible to achieve! Higher management weren't very pleasant either. It seems to me like their culture was "treat em mean keep em keen" and sadly a lot of Australian retail business's operate that way which is completely wrong! It just doesn't make employees very enthusiastic to come to work everyday when your not getting rewarded for the fantastic job you have been doing, every day it's picking at something new.

Training was terrible and I learnt absolutely nothing because my trainer was as intelligent as a squirrel

In store casuals were not trained properly as the store manager was just too lazy to properly train them.

with all of the blood, sweat, stress and tears you put in the job, in the end the good money really isnt even worth it.

and you'll never get promoted, just saying!

With the right management I think cotton on group would have an amazing reputation. But sadly the company is just not living up to the company values in which they set so high fore themselves.

Oh well, better luck next time CO.
DO NOT APPLY FOR XMAS CASUAL AT TYPO
Christmas Casual (Former Employee), Kotara, NSWSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: not enough shifts
Staff were super friendly but let me tell you, arriving at work for them to tell you that you shift has been cancelled is a peeve and it happened more than once. I think I had about 3 shifts the entire Christmas employment period with some of my longest shifts (7pm til midnight) being cancelled half hour prior because they had too many staff on. The only thing worth it was that I still got the 50% discount despite working so little. I'd be sent home after 3 hours of a 6 hour shift (min they can give you is 3) because they were paying more people than they could earn. I don't understand why they are employing Xmas Casuals again this year, the store is not large enough to need more than 3 people on the floor at a time and hiring 7 Xmas staff on top of the 4 permanent staff already on was ridiculous. I'd be interested to know if any other branches of CottonOn had this same problem with their employment. The most work I did was going in 2 hours before open to do damaged stock with 2 other people. Even then I still got sent home just after opening because they did the books and, what a surprise, they had employed too many people for the day.
Ridiculously High Expectations
key holder (Current Employee), FLMarch 18, 2013
Pros: good pay, good discount
Cons: all blame on employees, understaffed, few hours, too much responsibility, short deadlines
I would gladly settle for getting little to no recognition for what I do versus being blamed for things that are more strongly influenced b external forces. If numbers aren't satisfactory, they assume you made no attempt to add on products or assist customers. KPI expectations are the same on Black Friday as they are on a random Tuesday in October. One of the biggest rules to to always have someone in the front of the store, but many times only one person is on the schedule at a time; during audits we have been counted against for working on a task that must be done out of that zone (ex. straightening up racks of clothes in the back of the store). Refunds, voids, and low sales (even in cases where you can see a customer counting coins to cover the last few dollars of their current total) count against employees and performance satisfaction. If a customer cannot find what they need because it is out of stock or not carried at all, or they change their mind on wanting an item, it does not mean the employee is not performing their job.
Most unprofessional company
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), AucklandAugust 28, 2014
Cares little about their employees. Is happy to have part-timers managing shifts and other part-timers for the same salary. Used to have a time and a quarter wage on Sundays, but suddenly after years revoked that. Company is extremely unorganised especially in its delegation of tasks. No employee not on salary can expect to get a consistent number of hours because the company hires more staff than hours they have to give, in order to have backup staff, who most of the time only get 3 hours a fortnight. A true example of maximising company profits, minimising employee benefits. The only benefit is the 50% off merchandise discount, limited to 20 items a month for part-timers, however this is not given without some benefit to the company, the discount means that employees will buy the products, putting money in their pockets and wear the clothes to work therefore promoting the brand to customers. The company attempts to promote a series of values to its employees, none of which are actually demonstrated by the brand.
Co workers WERE FUN!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Camarillo, CANovember 15, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: assistant management
My days Cotton On were fun! the Start of my day was to clock in, get updated with what needed to be done that day, and where I was placed, and I was off to fulfill my duties. My co workers were an awesome team, very outgoing. No disrespect to management. The main manager was very professional with what she did, very flexible with our schedules, and fair. assistant managers needed a little more work in their communication skills with co workers, but other than that they were fine. the Hardest thing I experienced there was fitting rooms. My job was to open fitting rooms, and once the customer was done, I had to make sure they were clean, and put go back on the rack, then back on the floor. This doesn't sound bad, but in busy days, you get a line at the fitting rooms and customers tend to just throw their cloths at the go back rack. there were we had Piles of clothes. After about a week I became a pro and developed my technic. The most enjoyable part was at the cash register.I enjoyed Ringing up Happy satisfied customers.
Not what I signed on for....
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee), USJuly 16, 2012
Pros: pay is decent
Cons: no say in staffing, lack of hours to run store, lack of organization within company, way too much stress, not fun for management at all.
Took a position as a store manager, and at first, really loved my job. Pay is decent, and I was told there was a lot of room for advancement due to the rapid expansion in the US. They tout "work-life balance," but that is not the reality of this company. There is very little leadership, and things change at the last minute, and upper management expects the impossible. The biggest challenge, however, is the incredibly limited number of hours you are given to run a successful store. There is no coverage, and you rarely interact with your employees, so training and development is a no-go. I'm often caught at the register for long periods, making customer service a challenge. Overall, not what I signed on for, and I am not new to retail by any means. I am an incredibly hard worker, but Cotton On essentially expects you to take it all on yourself, and for me, it's just way to stressful of an environment.
Good product, somewhat unrealistic expectations.
Store Manager (Current Employee), Arcadia, CAAugust 1, 2012
As the store manager, the expectation is to wear all hats in a typical day, as often I'm the only one in the store until about 1:30. The hardest part about the structure of day-to-day operations is covering the floor, and loss prevention, while handling all of my administrative duties.
What I'm learniing is that I may be better suitted to a higher volume environment, where there's more labor hours allocated to sales coverage, something closer to my previous position at H&M, where a store genrates in a day's busines what my Cotton On store generates in a wek. This is why Im currently still seeking employment. The most enjoyble part is any tme I can overlap with the staff and can take a momentto teach them something new. People developmen has always been my favorite aspect of my job. In terms of my rlationship with my manager, I feel the expectations are unrealistic and there's implied pressure to work off the clock to meet these expectations.
Productive and fun workplace with an amazing team
Retail Assistant - Part time Casual (Former Employee), Mt Ommaney, BrisbaneSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: discounted products to staff.
Cons: not enough hours
A typical day at work would be to ensure all merchandise are correctly priced and stocked well. The store is maintained clean at all times, sorting out shelves for new stock to arrive.
Greeting customers and providing the best customer service to ensure that the customers are happy with their choices.
Handling the cash register would be the hardest aspect of the job, especially during busy days for e.g sales, holidays etc sometimes you have so much on your mind you need to ensure that the customer is given the correct amount of products purchased and also change given.
Most enjoyable part of the job would be getting to know and work alongside fellow staff members. Always looking out for each other and maintaining a good relationship in order for the store operations to run smoothly.
Productive fun work place
Part time - casual (Former Employee), Lower Hutt, NMarch 25, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: on your feet all day, hard work, long hours, over time.
A typical day at Cotton on would be to do SOD (start of day) on the tills and fill out the daily planner for job tasks to do that day. Would then open the store and start serving customers. Through out the day we would do multiple boxes of stock, serve many customers, help customers out with clothing, sizing, accessorizing, cleaning the store then cashing up end of day.
I learned amazing customer service, how to use the register, how to cash up end of day and start of day, banking, stock, stock transfers etc.
Management and co workers are so easy to get along with!
The most enjoyable part of the job is the customers.
The hardest part of the job is keeping the store up to cotton on standard if the store was busy or we had a lot to do that day. Store cleanliness is the the main priority.
Managment needs to get their act together.
Key Holder (Current Employee), West CoastMay 25, 2013
Pros: smoke breaks, good team
Cons: awful schedules, no chance for promotion, dead end career
Over four years of retail experience, hired as a Key Holder and treated like a new associate. Promise growth within company but that is not going to happen. Management does not know how to make a schedule. Either you are given hours and then they are all cut or you aren't scheduled at all and they call you every day to come work. Always understaffed. I love the team I work with and the traffic we get in the store, but you will be under appreciated. Upper management is always changing so don't except your hard work to go noticed. They said they would do performance reviews/raises in May and we just so happened to get a new Store Manager/ District Manager in May so raises were delayed. How convenient..
Would be a top place to work at if....Better Training in" People Management Skills". required by Branch Managers.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Canelands, Mackay, QLD, Australia.January 5, 2013
Pros: it would be a great place to work at if they soughted the problems out.
Cons: better training in" people management skills".
With the attitude of the QLD Branch"Female" Manager towards one of the Mackay Canelands store Managers & staff ,I would be very surprised if the stores will stay open in Canelands Mackay.
As a customer and a ex - employee, I have witnessed 1st hand standing up of employees in front of other customers and abuse
ive language by the same QLD Branch"Female" manager.
This type of behaviour is a court offence if taken futher by employees.
This shows that there is a lack of "Training in People Management Skills" in staff management by this company.
Productive and fun environment
Retail Assistant (Current Employee), DFO BrisbaneSeptember 3, 2015
Working at this company has helped me improve my customer service skills. I have also gained some new friends and made a great improvement in my career. I have learned many different ways on how to sell the products within the store, I've learnt about the companies requirements and the goals we have to reach each working day and how to succeed in reaching them. Cotton On is a great place to work for but it does need a more productive managing system. The most enjoyable part about the job is working with customers and working with my team workers, there is not a blunt day, its always a fun and exciting environment. I really get along with my co-workers, we've all built a strong inside and outside relationship.
Brilliant life experience!!
NZ Visual Merchandising Specialist (Current Employee), Auckland, New ZealandAugust 31, 2014
Pros: work life balance is encourage in the company thus i have gym training everyday after work
Cons: no a creative role that i'm looking for but benefit a lot from the role
This is a challenging job but not without rewards. I have learn a lot from my manager and the job itself. All from people management to KPI, GP, etc. I've worked with people from all walks of life and we worked very well as a team. Have widen my experience in retail operation and management skills with also knowledge of volume trades.

There isn't any hard part of the job mainly beneficial and enjoyable one where I get to work with all the lovely team members; supporting each other and making sure we all succeed as a team.
Fun And Eventful
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Napier,December 9, 2013
Pros: awesome co-workers
Cons: there is none!!
This as a first job prepared me for the work environment, and got me ready for early mornings!! The hardest Part of the Job was gaining the confidence to approach customers and talk easily to them, but over time i got the hang of it and i very comfortably can talk to customers now. The most enjoyable part of this job is defiantly helping people find the perfect gift for loved ones, and really selling the products within the company. A typical day at work is just to greet customers with a polite open greeting/question and making sure to squeeze a promotional deal into the conversation. Throughout the job i have learnt customer service and how to organize successfully.
Headquarters