The Cotton On Group Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Somerset14 February 2017
Days at Cotton On is always busy and keeping me really occupied which helps me past the time better. I've learned quite a number of things like stock takes, cashier, and handling difficult customers. The management are friendly and strict but nevertheless makes work enjoyable. The hardest part of the job, is when dealing difficult customers that keeps demanding stuffs. And the most enjoyable moments of work is with the colleagues that makes work welcoming and enjoyable.
Pros
Staff benefits
Cons
Good company to work out
Christmas Casual (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC21 December 2016
The aspect about cotton on is that it is incredibly flexible once you know the knowledge and the nook and crannys of the system. If you ever move, and need a job, you don't have to worry about relearning or being re-trained, you can simply apply or even be transferred to a CO group in your area.
That being said, the culture is very humble and friendly. I worked in Rubi and it was very sales-oriented, never the less it did help me advance my knowledge in retail.
However, the down side is that as a Christmas Casual, I didn't receive many shifts to begin with in the beginning (once a week) and it was just annoying as I only got three hours per shift.
Pros
50% discount, flexibility to work anywhere within the company, very contingent management
Cons
short hours for christmas casuals
productive workplace where an A game is always needed
Senior Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC25 February 2017
a day at work is a day you must be on your A game, customer service skills are essential as well as focusing on the input and output of stock. I've learnt a lot about working for the company in relation to meeting different and diverse people, from knowing the benefits of a LP manger to a Visual merchandiser. The culture within the workplace is homely and welcoming, I'm friends with each and every single person I work with and we are all on the same level. The hardest part about my job? hmm, that's a difficult question to answer as I love working in retail so I find nothing to be challenging. The most enjoyable part is serving customers, seeing how happy it makes them when a sales assistant takes the time out to help an individual.
Pros
customers
Cons
lifting boxes
Great workplace positive vibes.
CASUAL SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Mackay QLD18 February 2017
Great positive atmosphere within all stores that form the Cotton On Group. Management is amazing and do their best to ensure that balance is maintained between your social and work life. They offer amazing benefits for being an employee and all they ask in return is for your 100% effort in the workplace.
Great place, poor management
Customer Service and fashion coordinator set-up (Former Employee) –  Gilroy, CA3 March 2017
In my time working for this company I had to fill positions I had not been trained for and had to act as a leading manager since we were never able to hold a manager. Then got in trouble for processing transactions only managers were allowed to do, while our manager was off duty, such and so forth. I did love my job, and I learned a lot, but for the amount of effort I put in, I think there should have been better compensation. Also pretty hard to advance in the company.
Pros
Location was good
Cons
Terrible management
Your typical retail job.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CA6 December 2016
This was my first job and though I've spent over 3 years with them, I saw no advancement aside from a 50 cent raise. If you're looking to move with a company and grow, this probably isn't your best bet. Otherwise, it's a great place to work for your first job, especially if you enjoy customer service. Taught me a lot about entry level customer service and allowed me to experience tasks that assistant managers and managers deal with in order to receive experience that way. Co-workers were a blast to be with and the environment overall was enjoyable to work in.
Pros
Great discounts for employees and great environment to work in.
Cons
No benefits, no way to move up.
No room for progression unless you suck up
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD28 January 2017
You won't be able to go up in the company unless you suck up to the top management team.
They start off by saying how much room there is for career progression but you will never see it.
Management are terrible, shifts get cut through text message an hour before you start a shift sometimes. Rosters are only released after constantly asking management for them.
Only management get any form of rego nation for the store, and most managers will leave the store looking horrible for the rest of us to clean up.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything el
Fun environment
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur6 March 2017
We always have to check our daily book to know what our roles for each day. I learned how customer serviced are and know how to handle if the shop are full of crowded during the Year End Sale. The management is good. The culture of the workplace are full of fun and nice environment. We get to see new people each day. The hardest part of the job is we have to deal some customer issues. Then, the most enjoyable part of the job, we're working in one team and always be together to support each other.
Pros
Staff Purchased
Cons
Short Break
Competitive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape20 January 2017
My typical day at work required packing, cleaning, neatening clothes on racks. Searching for stock, calling other stores to find out product information.

I learned how to put customers needs first, to be friendly and understanding. Empathy was a great lesson from this job as customers came with different problems. The company culture was cool, young and vibrant. The hard part was the long work hours due to the Christmas season but enjoyed benefits of commission.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Long working hours
fun environment with acceptance of cultures and people
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Parramatta NSW 215015 February 2017
Love going into work. Its a place where you don't even feel like your working, because you're just surrounded by people who love people, which brings out the best in everyone. Ive learned that getting to know your customers really help in the way you can provide for them to the best of your ability. Management is handled professionally. Everyone at work has different back rounds but thats what I love about work, is that everyone is accepting. The hardest part of the job would be being stuck in fittings just because I love working out on the store floor. Just everything working in Cotton ON is a great experience where my skills grow every time I work.
Pros
store discounts
fun and warm environment
Internship (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, GA2 March 2017
Very organised and relaxed working environment. Must work hard but at the end of the day the hard work pays off. Management sector was very organised and well structured.
Pros
Did get free luch
Cons
Lunch time was short for the hours worked
Fun workplace
Retail Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New Zealand Auckland Manukau21 February 2017
Company is full of energy that eveyday is a new day with ideas that flows around the company, that is shared gloabally to keep the excitement and the joyful feeling alive.
Everyday workoing for the company, theres always something new exciting to do, from dressing up to face painting, of course from the professionals, giving away fun packs for the kids to take home and also free goodies on big day events. Cotton On group is so divers, that we tend to learn new things every of different cultures and just the fact that each individual has something to offer interanlly is amazing. the Cotton on group is more like family instead of a company.
Pros
Funful events weekly to keep the kids and parents entertained.
Cons
No cons
Productivity and high sales driven
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Sandton, Gauteng21 February 2017
Budget breakdown, Planning, Financial management, Sales Customer service, Recruitment and training, General admin, Stock management, Maintaining store image
High fashion retail requires high energy levels
The culture amongst the people is enjoyable.
Productive and fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape3 March 2017
The Cotton On Group has its benefits but the long hours seem to get the best of a person. It is a fast paced environment and has high expectations for its workers. One of the Cotton On Group morals is fun so that's what makes it exciting everyday.
Pros
50% discount
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD22 September 2016
Typo provides opportunities for career progress and creates a fun environment to work in. My only issues with Typo are the personal politics of management staff and a lack of communication between management and the casual staff.
Pros
Staff discount, friendly work environment.
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bugis18 February 2017
Cotton On has a very vibrant and young corporate culture - due to their young and trendy products - and this was one thing that motivated me to work in Cotton On.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Management is a little weak
it's not a fun place to work
sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Bedfordview, Gauteng28 January 2017
I have been been a PPT for 3 years now. They always give people from outside first preference in terms of promotions. All our complaint have not value to the regional and top management.
Cons
fast paced, fun work environment
Christmas Casual (Current Employee) –  Auckland27 December 2016
I enjoy working here. I started as a Christmas Casual in early November, and now been asked to stay on for a shift or 2 each week permanently.

The team and environment of the company is great, I felt included and was trained well to gain experience with customers and customer service.

Typical day, I would make the store look tidy, talk to/greet customers, put out stock and handle the till.

I see management frequently as they visit the store, they are a little bit intimidating, but overall nice people.
Pros
great team and environment, 50% staff discount
Cons
short shifts for normal days (not christmas time)
fun easy place to work
Retail Sales (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX19 December 2016
I enjoy this job however i need more than 30 hours a week and so i cant make it on this job alone but any retail job gives low hours. Management is good and takes care of employees.
Pros
nice long breaks, nice staff, friendly people
Cons
low benefits
exciting and challenging, extremely tight on budgeting
Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC recently Wacol QLD1 February 2017
a great company with good values. creates a positive and healthy work environment and staff development.
in distribution however, the fast pace and the assurance of customer satisfaction (retail) was maintained to it's best possible results, was done on a tight and sometimes not so realistic level.
overall an enjoyable experience but not so good for me with a work/life balance, as I would always want to stay till I finished the day.
Pros
monthly bbq, nice enviroment
Cons
long days between 10 and 14 hrs usually.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cotton On Group. Our community is ready to answer.