The BC SPCA is 118 years young and growing stronger every year. We are a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to protecting and enhancing the quality of life for domestic, farm and wild animals in British Columbia. Through our 41 locations throughout BC and provincial office in Vancouver, the BC SPCA provides a wide range of services and programs to help nearly 29,000 animals in distress and need each year.
Our Vernon & District Branch is in need of your helpful, energetic team spirit to fill the full-time role of Animal Care Attendant (ACA 1). You uphold the highest standards in animal welfare and you are passionate about animals. Under the direction of the Branch Manager your experience with animals will assist you:
- To maintain the entire physical plant in a clean, sanitary, and efficient manner on an ongoing basis and in a collaborative manner.
- To ensure kennels, runs, and cat cages are kept in a manner that is best suited for the animal’s health and welfare as per the ShelterSense protocols.
- To monitor the health and welfare of the animals through the maintenance of up-to-date kennel cards, recording information on whiteboard and daily logs, and completing daily welfare sheets.
- To maintain animals on a proper diet ensuring daily feeding, watering, exercise, and enrichment.
- To perform general bathing and grooming of animals.
- To treat animals humanely, with compassion and concern, and in a manner consistent with the BC SPCA’s five freedoms.
- To perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid Class 5 BC Drivers’ License
- A sound knowledge of animals, their breeds, characteristics and common diseases
- Previous kennel or animal care experience will be considered an asset
- Demonstrable interest in all aspects of animal welfare
- Position is physically demanding and includes heavy lifting, pushing and pulling which requires an individual with the ability to maintain a level of fitness and endurance to fulfill the required duties
- Positive attitude and a strong desire to provide excellent customer service
- Computer experience: Windows, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Flexible and able to work weekdays, weekends and statutory holidays
Successful candidates will be legally entitled to work in Canada and be required to undergo a criminal record check as a condition of employment. To be considered for this opportunity, please respond to this ad by send us a resume and a cover letter (in Word or PDF format) no later than October 31st, 2103.
TO ENSURE DELIVERY USE THE FOLLOWING SUBJECT LINE FOR YOUR EMAIL:
"SPCA Job Posting-Vernon FT"
No telephone calls please. We thank you for your interest in the BC SPCA, however; only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The BC SPCA is a Registered Charity BN 11881 9036 RR0001