The Brick Employee Reviews in Canada

Decent Place to work
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJanuary 16, 2016
I started working at The Brick as a Sales Representative. They hire you part-time and make you work full-time hours that way you don't get benefits and if you don't make commission they only have to top up your pay for part-time hours even though your working full-time. It's only worth being a sales rep if you know for fact, it's a busy location. I now work CSR and I find it much better. Pay sucks, no benefits, not much room for growth but the people are amazing to work with, so is management. It's a great place to work if your not looking for a career.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
You will never make more then minimium wage
Best place for a commission salesperson EVER!
Sales/Manager (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SKOctober 11, 2015
Maybe it was because I had the best regional manager in the history of regional, managers, The Brick stands out as the best place I have ever worked, period, Great pay, great people, great everything.

Highly recommended, particularly for those who want to try out commission sales.

Great benefits, great people, and crazy money if you are willing to work for it. Best managed company ever. Room for advancement everywhere you look.

I wish I had never left.
Pros
Tons of traffic because of tons of money thrown at advertising.
Cons
Having to deal with occasional unrealistic or outright crazy people on customer service issues.
dont do it
dont want to say (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 28, 2015
I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to work somewhere with low pay, sub-standard benefits, and deal with drama and politics. Then this is the place for you!!! Double standards, and unrealistic expectations? This is the place for you!

Social committee is great, work hours are great.

Everything else isn't.
Pros
social committee
Cons
no advancement opportunities, numerous hr violations and labour board, petty insecure management
Poor management
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Employees work under high pressure, income based on commission only. No job security for long term, you get paid less for tasks requiring high mental effort.

Poor incentive plans for employees and solely based on Maslow's theory of motivation. They need to change their approach to motivate their employees, employees are scared to lose their jobs and make every possible effort (good or bad) to sell products. Company should use 360 degree performance review for Managers, and employees should be allowed to give honest reviews without any fear of reprisal against them.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Poor management
Good place to work but not much support from Management
DATA ENTRY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 20, 2016
Entering 80 to 100 invoices in the system as well as telephone orders.
J have learned to prioritizes my job to getting it done on time with minimal errors,
My Managers is and absolute sweet and kind person. when it comes to upper management there is minimal assistance as to the verbal abuse that is received from other managers.
I love my co workers very much we have a wonderful relationship.
Getting all the data entered at a curtain time in the morning.
Pros
wonderful place to work.
Cons
some managers are terriable.
General manager issues
Reception/Customer service (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCAugust 12, 2015
There is an HR complaint going in due to harassment in the work place.
Co workers were amazing and the customers were really great people.
Pros
it was an income
Cons
long hours, shift changes without notice, no overtime, no room for advancement, no benefits
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ONNovember 14, 2015
The brick is a great place to work and learn the skill set necessary for success in the field of sales. It is competitive in nature as it is a full commission environment. The management is excellent and works with employees to develop their potential. Co-workers are competitive but helpful and work well as a team.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not much opportunity for advancement
Don't do it!
not say (Former Employee) –  OntarioMay 9, 2016
I was not trained properly therefore leaving me with tons of error in my preformance. Asking for questions had the whole team looking at me side ways. I felt very degrading in my situation. I felt lack of respect and communication. No one verbally spoke about the areas that needed improvement it was more so let's laugh about you and turn you into a joke.
Pros
If you wanna feel young again and go back in time to your high school days this is the job for you
Cons
Everything to the management to the actuall job.
Productive knowledge
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2016
Very high exceptions to sell, regardless of customers flow. Coworker family is very together, but faint atmosphere of a cutthroat environment lingers.The co workers where I worked very bad I really hate that type of place. The hardest part would be knowing hoe to use the companies software system for different situations.
Pros
Commission allows for good / free lunch sometimes
Cons
High expectation
Busy and Great to work with staff
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 14, 2016
I've learned most of my experience and without a doubt my job was secure but the pay was not that great. The co-workers are great to work with and management are great understanding.
Pros
Pay was not secure
Cons
Co-worker and managment are great to deal with
Productivity
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2015
- Typical day at work consisted on cleaning certain areas in the store. Needed to check price tags if promotions were done to bring down. After it was finished you would start work and assist customers.
- Co-workers are friendly, caring, easy to get along with, helpful, and healthy competitors.
- Learned to use Point of Sales quickly on the computer. Able to apply a customer for The Brick card and calling bank if needed. Could provide the customer with knowledge of product and its features and benefits plus warranty.
- Hardest part of the job was when few customers would walk into a store in a day and were not interested in buying, or were in to pay a bill/pick-up. Another hard part was finding the right product for the customer as soon as possible as the products were at warehouse and available in certain days.
- Most enjoyable part of the job is everyday was a new day to learn something new.
Pros
great environment
Cons
inconsistent schedule
Challenging Work Environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONOctober 24, 2015
A typical day at my current positions includes ensuring a soft close of business from the day before.

I am responsible to ensure daily accounting reports are run and funds are corrected. Further I ensure that all business is confirmed for a nine day lead time.

I am also responsible for ensuring customers expectations are not only met but also exceeded in their purchases. Lastly, I am responsible for a balanced till and assisting customers at all times whether they be physically at the business or phoning in.

I have been able to excel in my current position and have been recognized regionally as a top performing employee. As such, both my management team as well as my fellow employees often come to me for assistance and advice.
Unprofessional Management
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJanuary 30, 2016
The Brick would be a great place to work at if there were a proper management team in place. They offer little to no training to help one excel in their position.
Pros
Commission based income
Cons
Negative atmosphere
A steady and moderate job
Sales Associate & Customer Serivce (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONMay 16, 2016
Very high expectations to sell, regardless of customer flow. Coworker family is very together, but faint atmosphere of a cutthroat environment lingers
Pros
Commission allows for good pay
Cons
High expectations
Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 5, 2016
The brick offers a lot of benefits and real life opportunities that strike the job to be taken accountable for. The staff are lovely, and help you through the training process, and much more!
Pros
20% off
Cons
Not enough hours
It was a great place to work. Staff were Awesome.
Warehouse; Delivery (Former Employee) –  Camrose, ABFebruary 20, 2016
I met and helped a-lot of customers, they appreciated you. The staff like the help I offered, and the Manager gave me complimates. Overall, a great place to work.
Pros
Met a-lot of customers, If you do your job, You will get along great.
Cons
Meeting the odd Grumpy customer.
Literally the worst job I have ever had
"Warehouse Manager" (Former Employee) –  Gibsons, BCJanuary 28, 2016
I was hired to manage the inventory and delivery at a privately-owned branch. The owner who hired me promised me an office of my own and managerial freedom, then immediately backed down and told me that I was just another guy. The training was nonexistent, as the owner who hired me only showed up every few weeks for a few days or so then took off, and the manager of the store was commission-based and training me was literally a waste of his time and money (I don't mean this negatively, I understood his position). Despite having a serious back injury when I was younger, I was drafted into driving a vehicle I have no training or experience on and hauling and delivering furniture, including huge fridges or other heavy appliances. All efforts to get extra training on the things I needed were met with "later" or "I'll just do it for you". I was finally fired when I finished all my duties early, saw to it that my delivery team was finished all their work early, and went home early - on my birthday.

I have had jobs where I was paid literally to shovel manure or wipe up vomit and they treated me more humanely than this place did.

If I had to offer any advice at all to the owner of this store, it would be to step back and be more hands-off. Oftentimes the right hand had no idea what the left was doing because there were too many cooks in the kitchen, and the morale was absolutely rock-bottom at all times as a result.
Pros
The sales team were very nice, and I ended up closer than I expected with the manager
Cons
Literally everything else
Tough Work
Farm Hand (Current Employee) –  Mono, ONJune 24, 2016
Good farm job with tough work and long hours. Co-workers are great and funny. Boss is easy if you need a day off. If you love animals, long days, and tough work this is for you.
...place shut down
Merchandiser-Sales person (Former Employee) –  Laval, QCApril 4, 2016
It was in Quebec but the experience was aweful

crazy hours, paid like a strawberry picker.

Manager knows less than you and act like he is the king

never again
Terrible company to work for
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 22, 2015
I spent 12 years of my life working for this company as a Store Manager and it was great, UNTIL Leon's acquired the company.

They started stealing from employees, they cut the sales consultants commissions, they took away managers' bonuses and incentives and brought some nearly impossible targets to hit so managers would make almost no money.

They increased their prices on customers and told us to not give customers as much discount. in 2014 they had a record year in profitability and they got even more greedy and started taking away more from employees and increased their prices on customers AGAIN.

There is no work life balance, every level of management works you until you end up in a divorce and lose your family by never being home or until you break down.

Their turn over rate has been over 70% in the last year and it's increasing month after month.

STAY AWAY!!!
Pros
NO PROS ANYMORE!!
Cons
NO WORK LIFE BALANCE - NO MONEY - NO INCENTIVES - DEMANDING MANAGEMENT (Starting from the president, down) - THEIR HANDS ARE IN YOUR POCKET - NO RESPECT FOR EMPLOYEES -