The Brick Employee Reviews

productive and enjoyed working there.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2017
very nice place to work with a lots of challenges. I learned about customer service orientation and how to deal with them effectively.
I enjoyed working in a team and I helped my co-workers and achieve my goals efficiently.
Working in a commission job should be your last option
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2017
Typical day at work-Wait for the customers to walk in the store and assist them with their purchases.
Learned- about the products- furniture, mattress, appliances and electronics sold by the company through the brick learning site, fairs, training, etc.
Management just cares about the numbers and their priority is selling warranties, plans, etc.
Most of the people around are friendly and co-operative.
The hardest part- it is a commission based job, so the more you sell the more you earn. But during slow traffic(which is most of the times) you have to wait long hours for the customer to enter the store and with so many sales people on the floor you have to wait for your turn to approach customer.
Best part is- you do not have to stand for long hours unlike other retail places. During holiday seasons you earn good amount.
Pros
Ample relaxation time during slow traffic
Cons
Long hours, pay is less for the amount of effort and work, stressful
worplace assesment
reatil sales consultant (Current Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK4 November 2017
I learned a lot at the brick when it came to customer service and making sure the customer was satisfied not only with the intial purchase but also with the follow up. the follow up included scheduling delievery/pick up dates, calling them to make sure they received and are happy with the product and letting them know of any new sales that are coming up.
Pros
sales bonuses for performance
Do not approve
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB3 November 2017
I was constantly stressed out working for the Brick. Commission pay is highly competitive and this causes fights amongst co-workers. I'm glad I left. Goodluck!
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Easy to become bored
Productive and fun place to work with a great team
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC26 October 2017
I worked at The Brick for 3 years and couldn't have been happier to do so. My fellow employees and management team were supportive, hard working, always willing to lend a helping hand and enjoyable. It's impossible to say what I enjoyed most about the company as it ranges from my work in general to regular and new customers.
Pros
Great team, great pay, great benefits
Possible room for growth
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC25 October 2017
Not a bad place to work. Management is respectful and there seems to be room for advancement within the firm. I recommend it to anyone who needs work.
Like working in Limbo
Multiple Positions (Sales, CSR, Warehousing) (Former Employee) –  Multiple19 October 2017
Working at the Brick is kind of surreal. If you're passable as an employee, don't messing things up too badly too often, and show up for your scheduled shifts, you're basically employed for life (at least in Ontario's Bricks anyways). But at the same time, so many employees are simply "passable" that if you show even a hint of intelligence or aptitude you get shoved into the management training programme and promises about your future get shoveled onto your lap. It feels pretty good for a while, but it rubs off quickly when you realize that management has no intention of doing better than yearly twenty cent raises and slashing hours when they screw the budget.

The people are usually nice enough, or at least fun enough that work isn't so bad. Nothing is exceptionally difficult, except some customers who either were promised something impossible or randomly decided the Brick would move heaven and earth to make their wildest fantasies come true. You'll never be punished for not being able to literally change the fabric of reality to make some of their wishes materialize, but neither will you get a pat on the back or a raise for making minor miracles happen. You'll get good stories to laugh about at least.

Management ranges from well-trained and thoughtful to bumbling and impossibly irrational. You'll get requests from one manager like "go help put that couch by that door," then three hours later when they leave another manager will come up and say "put that couch back, manager A had you construct a fire hazard." With customers, sometimes you'll answer the phone and be given
  more... fixable, approachable issues you can knock out in five—other times you'll be saddled with multi-week (or month) problems because some doorknob high up the food chain refuses to do their job, but also refuses to deal with the fallout (ie. getting screamed at by customers) so you get to be their fall guy. You'll also see some pretty astoundingly shady stuff happen. Usually those managers involved will get fired or put under a microscope for long enough to be fired later.

But it's fun when it's not stressful. You have to get used to being yelled at, or figure out coping mechanisms, because you will be yelled at eventually. Some dumb butt will eventually get you blamed or take some heat for their mistake even if you don't make any big/noticeable ones. Smaller stores have a good sense of community and supervisors or departmental managers generally are pretty easy going.
Pros
If you're trainable you're untouchable, good community
Cons
Stressful, customer expectations way too high (who's promising all this?), getting shouted at, low wage, low raise, advancement slow, unclear policies, unclear advancement structure, some difficult coworkers or regional higher up employees
Good job, bad management
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 October 2017
The work was great, but the management was very disorganized. They would not listen to new-comers, and did not follow proper procedure when it came to disagreements with the employees.
Productive and fun workplace.
Responsible in Customer service, payments, returns (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 October 2017
Staff was amazing. Productive job. Learned so much and would love to recommend this job to anyone that loves to interact with people. Very good working environment.
Casual fun workplace with friendly staff
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB2 October 2017
A typical day is normally fairly slow where you could solicit while you waited for work to arise. You learn lots about merchandising and how to persuade a customer to close a sale as a sales associate. As a CSR, you deal a lot with online sales, orders over the phone, assisting customers with questions and concerns or directions. There really was no hard part of the job. Being technologically inclined learning how to operate the system wasn't difficult, but may be for the average mind.
Pros
Friendly environment, Slow Pace
Cons
Slow Pace
good
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK29 September 2017
made some good money on commission and was able to develop my sales skill while becoming top sales person in my region for more than a few months in a row
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 September 2017
Enjoyed my time there as well. At the store it was a positive culture. Dealt like we were just a number. Work life balance was not the greatest. Overall good place to work
chill environment, policies a little off
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK27 September 2017
unfair compensation structure
a lot of pressure on sales staff
communication is minimal between sales and delivery system, between sales and management
awesome showcase reps
Pros
incentives
Cons
compensation structure
Boring and Long Hours
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK26 September 2017
A lot of standing around waiting for customers to walk in the door. Extended hours from 10-12 hours on days there was a special offer. Not good for anyone who has a family. Great for people who enjoy having no life or personal time.
Pros
Lots of places to sit when slow
Cons
Slow days = Long hours.
One of the best places to work
CORPORATE SECURITY ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 September 2017
This company sees their employees as names, not numbers. The Brick was the most productive places I've ever worked (they also had a lot of fun too) My management team showed me so much about my chosen field.
Bad company for sales employees
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ontario24 September 2017
All management promises are 100 % lies, company only looks for new ways to cut commission and income of sales employees.

Worst company for sales people to work
Pros
nothing
Cons
so many
Pushy staff and rude customer service management needs improvement
Employee (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC18 September 2017
When I started the job was good. But the customer service department was a gong show. For the amount of time I was there the turn over rate really said it all. Compensation was good for the amount of work you do but the policy for respect in the workplace here is a joke. Understaffed and undertrained. Questionable place overall.

The policy for working at the brick is not that bad its the enforcement that needs work.
Lots of perks work wise. Good deals for staff. Lots of incentives.
Pros
Good breaks job perks incentives for good work
Cons
Management customer service store policies
Lots of perks
Warranty Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 September 2017
Good place to work, lots of work/life balance. Supportive culture. The nature of my job was claim related, so not very positive to begin with, but the company as a whole is good. Helping people was the best part of the job.
Pros
lots of perks
Cons
work load was extreme, low pay
very unorganized environment, stressful long days where too much was expected, poor planning was a major stressor.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NS5 September 2017
average day consisted of sales people providing surprises of favors they offered on your behalf to close a sale. usually a surprise at every delivery had to move other furniture or remove old furniture.
Commission Sales
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB29 August 2017
The Brick was my first job in a commission sales environment. I learned how to sell a product and break out of my shell. It was difficult to get proper operations training. It was also difficult to move up
Pros
Amazing family/work balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Brick. Our community is ready to answer.