The Brick Employee Reviews in Canada

Loader
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 13, 2016
Management wasn't really around nor was it fun to load trucks on your own. Tons of work place injuries were happening due to the lack of proper training on lifting techniques and team work to team lifts. I got injured at this job and still to this day suffer from a work place injury from the brick. Pay was alright but it was hard to advance in this company as I saw tons of workers that worked there for 30 years and still were loaders and working another job to get past the bills.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Lack of safety training and follow up
Nothing special
Warehouse & delivery (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 9, 2016
Typical warehouse job, management is subpar and run by desk jockeys who act like they know whats going on. Talked to "lifers" and employees who have been there for only a few years and there is resentment and disapproval from the employee body all round. Employee request and concerns are rarely heard.

I worked night shift for a while and started drinking coffee ( never did before ) which cause me to use the washroom after each coffee ( one after each break ) the manager had the nerve to question my rest room habits.
Was A Mess
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONJuly 31, 2016
The training was minimal as the supervisor would just do it once and expect the employees to learn the scan gun/computer duties from a "brick university" training program that provided no hands on help.

The store manager was nowhere to be seen when i had questions, especially regarding pay, The operations manager provided no help as well. Basically none of the managers really helped with problems, they only boasted about how we created the problems.
My co workers also felt the same way.

When I first started i didn't get paid for 1 entire month along with some other coworkers. Then once the pay issue was "resolved" I didn't receive my pay for another 3 weeks. I had no answers when asking the managers regarding my pay.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Lack Of Management
Productive knowledge
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2016
Very high exceptions to sell, regardless of customers flow. Coworker family is very together, but faint atmosphere of a cutthroat environment lingers.The co workers where I worked very bad I really hate that type of place. The hardest part would be knowing hoe to use the companies software system for different situations.
Pros
Commission allows for good / free lunch sometimes
Cons
High expectation
Don't do it!
not say (Former Employee) –  OntarioMay 9, 2016
I was not trained properly therefore leaving me with tons of error in my preformance. Asking for questions had the whole team looking at me side ways. I felt very degrading in my situation. I felt lack of respect and communication. No one verbally spoke about the areas that needed improvement it was more so let's laugh about you and turn you into a joke.
Pros
If you wanna feel young again and go back in time to your high school days this is the job for you
Cons
Everything to the management to the actuall job.
Good place to work but not much support from Management
DATA ENTRY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 20, 2016
Entering 80 to 100 invoices in the system as well as telephone orders.
J have learned to prioritizes my job to getting it done on time with minimal errors,
My Managers is and absolute sweet and kind person. when it comes to upper management there is minimal assistance as to the verbal abuse that is received from other managers.
I love my co workers very much we have a wonderful relationship.
Getting all the data entered at a curtain time in the morning.
Pros
wonderful place to work.
Cons
some managers are terriable.
You literally pay to be there!
Sales accociate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABJuly 12, 2016
This job pays straight commission but if you don't sell enough to make minimum wage then they give you the money to reach the minimum only to take it from you the next pay check. Absolutely stressful and degrading! How they get away with it I don't understand but its a real morale killer. Management is always negative and is incapable of finding the positive in anything. The longer the employment the worse the employee. Straight commission in this manner is a real poison. Not to say i haven't made some life long friends in being employed there but we all left quite frustrated by the ineptitude of the corporate senility that has effected every position from top to bottom. I learned a lot but an unnecessarily torturous manner. That business needs to start again at a small store level to regain Bill Comery's true vision. I wonder just how much more successful we could have been if we were treated better and not micromanaged to such a high degree.
Pros
Friends I made
Cons
Being micromanaged and ruled by children.
A steady and moderate job
Sales Associate & Customer Serivce (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONMay 16, 2016
Very high expectations to sell, regardless of customer flow. Coworker family is very together, but faint atmosphere of a cutthroat environment lingers
Pros
Commission allows for good pay
Cons
High expectations
Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONMay 5, 2016
The brick offers a lot of benefits and real life opportunities that strike the job to be taken accountable for. The staff are lovely, and help you through the training process, and much more!
Pros
20% off
Cons
Not enough hours
Decent Place to work
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJanuary 16, 2016
I started working at The Brick as a Sales Representative. They hire you part-time and make you work full-time hours that way you don't get benefits and if you don't make commission they only have to top up your pay for part-time hours even though your working full-time. It's only worth being a sales rep if you know for fact, it's a busy location. I now work CSR and I find it much better. Pay sucks, no benefits, not much room for growth but the people are amazing to work with, so is management. It's a great place to work if your not looking for a career.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
You will never make more then minimium wage
Poor management
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Employees work under high pressure, income based on commission only. No job security for long term, you get paid less for tasks requiring high mental effort.

Poor incentive plans for employees and solely based on Maslow's theory of motivation. They need to change their approach to motivate their employees, employees are scared to lose their jobs and make every possible effort (good or bad) to sell products. Company should use 360 degree performance review for Managers, and employees should be allowed to give honest reviews without any fear of reprisal against them.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Poor management
Busy and Great to work with staff
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 14, 2016
I've learned most of my experience and without a doubt my job was secure but the pay was not that great. The co-workers are great to work with and management are great understanding.
Pros
Pay was not secure
Cons
Co-worker and managment are great to deal with
It was a great place to work. Staff were Awesome.
Warehouse; Delivery (Former Employee) –  Camrose, ABFebruary 20, 2016
I met and helped a-lot of customers, they appreciated you. The staff like the help I offered, and the Manager gave me complimates. Overall, a great place to work.
Pros
Met a-lot of customers, If you do your job, You will get along great.
Cons
Meeting the odd Grumpy customer.
Sales Consultant for four years
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 16, 2016
A decent place to work, if you are willing to put in the effort, are sharp enough, and comfortable with all sorts of people and cultures.

Training is a joke, but that varies greatly by store. Other sales consultant don't want you there getting their sales, so you have to be there all the time, you have to be sharp. and you have to grab as many customers as you can. Be ready for a workday full of sitting around doing nothing when there are no customers. Working a whole day and not getting paid gives you an idea of how tough it can be. Go in everyday with energy, positivity, enthusiasm, and you can do just fine.

Tips:

Take as many customers as you can.
Take the customers others don't want, even though you might not want to.
Stay away from co-workers who try to trap you into negative conversations.
Don't complain about work to co-workers.
Learn how to sell. Watch videos. Read articles. Practice different techniques.
Try to understand what the managers actually need of you. Their jobs are very different than yours.
Make friends with the operations team. You will make more money if you do.
Tough Work
Farm Hand (Current Employee) –  Mono, ONJune 24, 2016
Good farm job with tough work and long hours. Co-workers are great and funny. Boss is easy if you need a day off. If you love animals, long days, and tough work this is for you.
...place shut down
Merchandiser-Sales person (Former Employee) –  Laval, QCApril 4, 2016
It was in Quebec but the experience was aweful

crazy hours, paid like a strawberry picker.

Manager knows less than you and act like he is the king

never again
Unprofessional Management
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJanuary 30, 2016
The Brick would be a great place to work at if there were a proper management team in place. They offer little to no training to help one excel in their position.
Pros
Commission based income
Cons
Negative atmosphere
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ONNovember 14, 2015
The brick is a great place to work and learn the skill set necessary for success in the field of sales. It is competitive in nature as it is a full commission environment. The management is excellent and works with employees to develop their potential. Co-workers are competitive but helpful and work well as a team.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not much opportunity for advancement
Great Staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJanuary 27, 2016
Was fun working with the people there but there was stressful busy times as well. Hardest part sometimes was working on commission because there is days with no sales but then there are days where you make thousands in sales.
Perfect job for university students
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  British ColumbiaAugust 16, 2016
So far, my experience here has been great. Sure there are some cons to my position, but the pros definitely outweigh them.

The experience really depends on what you make of the job. There are many aspects that my co-workers may not like about the position, but for me, I never let the tiny, stupid things affect me.
Additionally, there are some stressing situations (such as dealing with an overwhelming number of pick-ups) but ultimately it really depends on how you can handle stress.

In terms of co-workers, most of the people I have worked with have been very nice and easy to get along with (although there always is that one self-entitled person who thinks they are above others).

My supervising manager is, without a doubt, the best manager that I have ever worked with. She is very relatable, as well as easy to talk to. Not only that, she treats me and everyone around us with the respect they deserve.

The most enjoyable part of the job, for me, is when I deal with amazing customers who are happy to talk to me. Usually when that happens, I will more than likely go out of my way to ensure that the customer leaves here with a smile on their face.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great co-workers, low stress
Cons
Higher-ups

2.9