The Brick Employee Reviews

For hard workers
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 October 2016
Don't count on benefits take 6 month before you get anything, and doesn't have good coverage
Depending where you work you can have a nice team to work with.
Schedule is not stable though.
After all the atmosphere of your department depends on your manager.
Pros
Cons
Unstable schedule
Worst place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 January 2017
Management is horrible, company held my check, and claimed I didn't work certain hours, and staff members were disrespectful. This location need to get their acts together, and treat people better! If you work customer service (no matter how mad the customer makes you) you should always remain calm! Never heard that kind of disrespect to a customer in all my years of working customer service. Now I know why this location has so many complaints! The reviews says it all!
Was A Mess
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON31 July 2016
The training was minimal as the supervisor would just do it once and expect the employees to learn the scan gun/computer duties from a "brick university" training program that provided no hands on help.

The store manager was nowhere to be seen when i had questions, especially regarding pay, The operations manager provided no help as well. Basically none of the managers really helped with problems, they only boasted about how we created the problems.
My co workers also felt the same way.

When I first started i didn't get paid for 1 entire month along with some other coworkers. Then once the pay issue was "resolved" I didn't receive my pay for another 3 weeks. I had no answers when asking the managers regarding my pay.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Lack Of Management
Fun and Hard Work!
Delivery Driver Helper (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 December 2016
Good job, keeps you active, body fit and mind clear. Many different customer relations situations. Makes you think on your feet and how to problem solve quickly with minimal errors. Not a job for everyone though, you need to have a mind-set to empower you and keep you motivated as this job is physically demanding.
Pros
Meet a lot of new people on a daily basis.
Cons
Long hours and physically demanding.
Horrible place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, QC13 September 2016
Worked there for just over a year. Very disorganized. Management claims to be there for you to answer all questions but when you ask them anything they yell at you and belittle you. Can ask the same question to 3 diff people and get 3 different answers . Expect too much. No appreciation of anything accomplished. Pick favorites. Employees not treated equally. Was miserable the whole time I was there. Not recommended.
Pros
My co workers
Loader
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 August 2016
Management wasn't really around nor was it fun to load trucks on your own. Tons of work place injuries were happening due to the lack of proper training on lifting techniques and team work to team lifts. I got injured at this job and still to this day suffer from a work place injury from the brick. Pay was alright but it was hard to advance in this company as I saw tons of workers that worked there for 30 years and still were loaders and working another job to get past the bills.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Lack of safety training and follow up
You literally pay to be there!
Sales accociate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB12 July 2016
This job pays straight commission but if you don't sell enough to make minimum wage then they give you the money to reach the minimum only to take it from you the next pay check. Absolutely stressful and degrading! How they get away with it I don't understand but its a real morale killer. Management is always negative and is incapable of finding the positive in anything. The longer the employment the worse the employee. Straight commission in this manner is a real poison. Not to say i haven't made some life long friends in being employed there but we all left quite frustrated by the ineptitude of the corporate senility that has effected every position from top to bottom. I learned a lot but an unnecessarily torturous manner. That business needs to start again at a small store level to regain Bill Comery's true vision. I wonder just how much more successful we could have been if we were treated better and not micromanaged to such a high degree.
Pros
Friends I made
Cons
Being micromanaged and ruled by children.
Decent Place to work
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON16 January 2016
I started working at The Brick as a Sales Representative. They hire you part-time and make you work full-time hours that way you don't get benefits and if you don't make commission they only have to top up your pay for part-time hours even though your working full-time. It's only worth being a sales rep if you know for fact, it's a busy location. I now work CSR and I find it much better. Pay sucks, no benefits, not much room for growth but the people are amazing to work with, so is management. It's a great place to work if your not looking for a career.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
You will never make more then minimium wage
Nothing special
Warehouse & delivery (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 July 2016
Typical warehouse job, management is subpar and run by desk jockeys who act like they know whats going on. Talked to "lifers" and employees who have been there for only a few years and there is resentment and disapproval from the employee body all round. Employee request and concerns are rarely heard.

I worked night shift for a while and started drinking coffee ( never did before ) which cause me to use the washroom after each coffee ( one after each break ) the manager had the nerve to question my rest room habits.
Swamper in Calgary
Swamper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 December 2016
I worked as a Swamper doing deliveries in and around the Calgary area, The hours sometimes were really long, Management did not care how long you needed to be out there....
Pros
Not a boring Job
Cons
The Hours
Sales Consultant for four years
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC16 June 2016
A decent place to work, if you are willing to put in the effort, are sharp enough, and comfortable with all sorts of people and cultures.

Training is a joke, but that varies greatly by store. Other sales consultant don't want you there getting their sales, so you have to be there all the time, you have to be sharp. and you have to grab as many customers as you can. Be ready for a workday full of sitting around doing nothing when there are no customers. Working a whole day and not getting paid gives you an idea of how tough it can be. Go in everyday with energy, positivity, enthusiasm, and you can do just fine.

Tips:

Take as many customers as you can.
Take the customers others don't want, even though you might not want to.
Stay away from co-workers who try to trap you into negative conversations.
Don't complain about work to co-workers.
Learn how to sell. Watch videos. Read articles. Practice different techniques.
Try to understand what the managers actually need of you. Their jobs are very different than yours.
Make friends with the operations team. You will make more money if you do.
the brick
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 December 2016
A great organization to start out a selling career and build upon your sales and customer service skills, met many wonderful people and had the chance to network with great organizations
fun environment
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2016
the environment was good and fun but it was physically hard job.Overall it was good place to work and the management were very reasonable people. the commute was short and not too far to drive
Pros
fun environment
Cons
heavy lifting
Pretty horrific experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, QC15 June 2016
Worked for a total of just over half-a-yea before my call-center (1 of 2 in the country) SHUT DOWN; absolutely no surprise..

Customers are likely to feel they've been cheated out of service, price and/or general product-quality. Constant reviews, business-reports, media-stories and even anti-Brick Facebook groups bring out the apparent opinion many share.

It took me 2-3 months in to realize it wasn't that well managed.. I would have left, but felt I could attempt to serve my customers fair and treat them with respect, and also contacted head-office/higher authorities on multiple occasions, skipping over my immediate supervisors as to avoid a run-around. Even while being praised for my perspective and striving to save both the business and customers, nothing ever happened (in terms of advancements, recognition, or even thank yous). As somebody who studies EQ of business and branding, I at least had a strong contrast to compare AGAINST what one should do to become successful.

Many complaints and experiences led me eventually advise NOT to buy from The BRICK, which again, highlights the incapability of standing behind a product/company you believe in. A terrible job-experience thankfully gave insight to a company as a whole that lacks essential leadership in today's growing age.

The BRICK runs a sprint, and not a marathon when it comes to their brand and how they treat their customers (as a company across Canada).
Pros
It's only 5-days a week
Cons
Lack of Leadership, Poorly Managed, Horrid Customer Service, Unfaithful Store-Policy, Dishonest
Poor management
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 January 2016
Employees work under high pressure, income based on commission only. No job security for long term, you get paid less for tasks requiring high mental effort.

Poor incentive plans for employees and solely based on Maslow's theory of motivation. They need to change their approach to motivate their employees, employees are scared to lose their jobs and make every possible effort (good or bad) to sell products. Company should use 360 degree performance review for Managers, and employees should be allowed to give honest reviews without any fear of reprisal against them.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Poor management
dont do it
dont want to say (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 October 2015
I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to work somewhere with low pay, sub-standard benefits, and deal with drama and politics. Then this is the place for you!!! Double standards, and unrealistic expectations? This is the place for you!

Social committee is great, work hours are great.

Everything else isn't.
Pros
social committee
Cons
no advancement opportunities, numerous hr violations and labour board, petty insecure management
Don't do it!
not say (Former Employee) –  Ontario9 May 2016
I was not trained properly therefore leaving me with tons of error in my preformance. Asking for questions had the whole team looking at me side ways. I felt very degrading in my situation. I felt lack of respect and communication. No one verbally spoke about the areas that needed improvement it was more so let's laugh about you and turn you into a joke.
Pros
If you wanna feel young again and go back in time to your high school days this is the job for you
Cons
Everything to the management to the actuall job.
Perfect job for university students
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  British Columbia16 August 2016
So far, my experience here has been great. Sure there are some cons to my position, but the pros definitely outweigh them.

The experience really depends on what you make of the job. There are many aspects that my co-workers may not like about the position, but for me, I never let the tiny, stupid things affect me.
Additionally, there are some stressing situations (such as dealing with an overwhelming number of pick-ups) but ultimately it really depends on how you can handle stress.

In terms of co-workers, most of the people I have worked with have been very nice and easy to get along with (although there always is that one self-entitled person who thinks they are above others).

My supervising manager is, without a doubt, the best manager that I have ever worked with. She is very relatable, as well as easy to talk to. Not only that, she treats me and everyone around us with the respect they deserve.

The most enjoyable part of the job, for me, is when I deal with amazing customers who are happy to talk to me. Usually when that happens, I will more than likely go out of my way to ensure that the customer leaves here with a smile on their face.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great co-workers, low stress
Cons
Higher-ups
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ON14 November 2015
The brick is a great place to work and learn the skill set necessary for success in the field of sales. It is competitive in nature as it is a full commission environment. The management is excellent and works with employees to develop their potential. Co-workers are competitive but helpful and work well as a team.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not much opportunity for advancement
Good place to work but not much support from Management
DATA ENTRY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 March 2016
Entering 80 to 100 invoices in the system as well as telephone orders.
J have learned to prioritizes my job to getting it done on time with minimal errors,
My Managers is and absolute sweet and kind person. when it comes to upper management there is minimal assistance as to the verbal abuse that is received from other managers.
I love my co workers very much we have a wonderful relationship.
Getting all the data entered at a curtain time in the morning.
Pros
wonderful place to work.
Cons
some managers are terriable.

2.9