The Brick Warehouse Employee Review

View all The Brick Warehouse reviews

Productive and results oriented environment
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 August 2013
Typical day: customer complaints, ordering furniture for store and ensuring floor was decorated according to CORE, inventory management, training of staff, reviewing daily, weekly and monthly operations reports, budget management and P&L variance accountability, payroll, recruiting/job posting/interviews/training, disciplinary action and performance management.

Learned: I learned a lot about furniture (fabrics, materials, quality), store decoration, P&L variance explanations, inventory management.

Management: High turnover of management and staff. Succession planning almost non existent, not always the best people for the job were promoted (sometimes seniority was the key factor, not necessarily the skill set, several bad fits for the stores that resulted in higher turnover).

Co-workers: A mix of teenagers to middle age in various positions and several ethnic backgrounds. Communication was sometimes difficult due to language barriers, age and culture differences. I had to step in often to resolve conflicts with employees and customers.

Hardest part of job: high turnover due for the most part to low wages and hard physical work and customer complaints. It was sometimes difficult to keep my cool with screaming customers who were abusive and completely unreasonable in their demands.

Most enjoyable: Variety of responsibilities, from HR to inventory to store decoration, customer service, payroll, budget management. Every day was different. Also worked at all 4 Brick locations in Calgary. Opened brand new store in Beacon Hill.
Pros
Worked at all locations, I was sent to stores with staff problems to help bring them back to par.
Cons
Extremely long hours, no recognition whatsoever, low salary

Other The Brick Warehouse Employee Reviews

shipper and reciever
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 November 2017
A typical day at work is always being at work on time and being a hard working team player that helps out the whole entire team when behind at work. Iv learned to never give up and always show your 100% effort even when times are tough outside of the work place. The hardest part of the job is working with somebody you dont get along with but that should never get in the way of completing your tasks at work. The most enjoyable part of the job is always learning something new.
Retail commission sales is not for everyone
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON7 November 2017
The Brick was a nice place to work, never really had any complaints while I was there. I only left because I just was not earning enough to make ends meet.