The Bouchier Group Employee Reviews

glad to have been a part of the company
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 September 2017
Great people to learn from and understand the construction process and learn what to and not to do as a manager. The benefits are awesome. The salary is fair.
Cliques and poor management
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills19 April 2017
If you don't know someone or your not of native decent, you will not succeed. Regardless of your operating skills, inter personal skills, or effort given you'll be treated like your disposable and receive no acknowledgement.
Day to day operations are poorly organized.
Pros
Flights, camp
Cons
Cliques, really poor management
A safe and interesting place to work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB1 April 2017
Catching the bus to the laydown, having our safety tool box, than our stretching prior to going to work. filling out our Job Safety Annalises and FLHA"s, once on job site with our equipment.
I learned that the oil sands industry is a very safe work environment.
The management has their job, and it is what the owners dictate to them. The culture there is very bias. depending on your race or culture.
The hardest part of the job is watching some employees advancing quicker that others.
The most enjoyable part of the job learning about the oil and gas mining industry. Watching how all the different contractors worked together to put a complete plant together to extract oil from the ground. And leaving completed digs looking better than natural.
Pros
good turn a rounds and money
Cons
some company policies
Very Poor Upper Management, and extreme favoritism
ex employee (Former Employee) –  Multiple Sites8 January 2017
Way to much favoritism, lack of real support from upper management, and the overall feeling of just being a number.
The company was good in it's early years, they now seem to have forgotten the workers who got them to the place they are now.
Bouchier is however, a good starting job in the oilsands.
Pros
Good shift options
Cons
Negative work environment
Wow just another native outfit that think there in title
HEO (Former Employee) –  Albian7 January 2017
From the start management backwards lead hand no clue I though going to this up and coming outfit was going to be direct nop I was wrong .stay away
Pros
Flights
Cons
No clue for management
Terrible Forman
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 December 2016
The coworkers were awsome.

The supervisor I received was terrible. Tried to bring up issue and was shut down. All coworkers were unhappy with him but afraid to speak up. Was very disorganized.
Everyone wanted to trade to to the other shift.

I think as a whole Bouchier is a good organization if you get the right supervisor.
Pros
Coworkers were great
Cons
Terrible Forman
Great crews, horrible upper management
Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McKay, AB7 November 2016
The workers at Bouchier (CNRL) are great. Supervision plays favorites but they do seem to try to keep everyone working. Until the time to choose comes, then its friends first.
RIDICULOUS management structure. Supervision and lead hands seem to be the ones out running around trying to find work. Makes you wonder what the people making the big bucks actually do.
Im yet to see any benifitial contributions made by the site operations manager. Should he not be the one doing bids, quotes and securing work? From what I hear he does ZERO. Except collect a big pay check.
Overall Bouchier is good to work for, when they actually have work for us. But we get sent to camp quite a bit due to lack of work.
I have worked all over the oilsands and in my experience site/operations managers have a constant presence and are involved in all aspects of the site. That doesn't happen at CNRL with Bouchier.
We need an operations manager that can keep Major Projects working. Or at least tries.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Management is disengaged
Expect to shovel if you are an equipment operator
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Impierial24 October 2016
Only way to get into equipment there is if there buddie is sick expect to be on a goon spoon and be treated as a goon your self, and as soon as your back starts to hurt expect to get laid off
Pros
Camp, 10 on 10 off
Cons
Really bad managment its not even organised chaos
All around not a good management. Favoritism is a big thing
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Cnrl horizon13 July 2016
1st week was awesome. Till started to see the favoritism with in thr superior roll! Seen how it was to get a head not by working hard & or safe/smart.in all honesty this would be a great place to work but the MANAGMENT is horrible.
Pros
Fly in & out camps
Cons
Very bad management "supervisors" CNRL!
Good workers,terrible lead hands. Too cliquey
heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Cnrl,Kearl Lake15 December 2015
Met some good people . Too bad the supervisor's heads are too big to be able to recognize the ones who make them look good.The CNRL HORIZON group are the worst. I spent time at Kearl Lake with Bouchier & it was totally different. Well organized & everyone is treated with respect.
Pros
Equal time of work & days off.
Cons
Very cliquey, too much playing favourites.
its not how hard you work, it only matters who you are friends with
laborer (Former Employee) –  Firebag, Suncor26 March 2015
Supervisors recognize employees that are friends first, ignoring other hard workers who have the experience and drive to advance in the company.
Pros
14/14 shift
Cons
Hired on as permanent, then told job is seasonal after 3 shifts.
Very Family Orientated
General cleaner (Former Employee) –  Jack pine Shell Canada10 April 2014
I enjoy my time working with them very much.
It was always positive I looked forward to going to work everyday and the people I got to work with were all amazing.
Pros
Great management
work place friendly
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB3 November 2013
typical day on the job was first we had a tool box meeting and waiting until the row call was done when got assigned place to work that night when we were done that job. the supervisors gave us more jobs we can do around site. what I have learned on that job was how to be more of a harder of worker then I am now and do the job correctly without getting hurt. the management wasn't to bad I didn't mind it. the hardest part of the job was working on the coldest night of winter sometimes, but I didn't mind that's why you always come prepared for that job. my co workers were great to work with. I was with a crew of people that got along well with one another. the most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people from different provinces and hearing their stories about their work experience in the oil sands since it was my first job working in the oil sands or working out of my province Saskatchewan. if I enjoy doing I'm glad I got to experience that.
Pros
Camp, free lunch, making new friends
Very stressfull, not managed good
Heavy Equipment Operator/Labourer09/16 (Current Employee) –  Fort mcmurray, AB22 March 2012
Managment is disrespectful and under appreciating to employees.
Not recognized for jobs done, and not a very safe environment do to
Pushing production not safety.
Pros
camp provided
Cons
not enough pay to deal with there drama.