The Body Shop

The Body Shop Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Your always learning, with new products
Cashier (Former Employee), saint john, NBJanuary 21, 2015
When i worked there i loved it, you learned a lot a things about where the products comes from who its helping and the proceeds go to where they say they are going. but at the time the management wasn't good. i hear know though its better.
Lovely coworkers and great product
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: great product, staff discount, co workers, smells amazing, cruelty free, fair trade
Cons: few shifts, part-time only, head office, minimum wage
Being in the corner of a mall, traffic can be quite slow. When I open the store I prepare the registers and floor for customers. Checking email to see if there are any changes to the sales. When the store opens it is slow. I make a list of things that can be done throughout the day if one hasn't already been made.

All the people I have worked with have been absolutely amazing. They are the kindest people I have met. I became friends with them very quickly, whether it was the current staff when I joined or the new hires.

The best part of this job is that you get to work with people you enjoy being around.
It is fun place to work and you can enjoy all the products
Sales Associate&Back up Team Leader (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: good employee discuont
Cons: break is short and team is really important
The job is always busy or you need to keep yourself busy. There is always something do to, greet customers, restock, and learn more about products. I learn a lot form as job as a team lead. I lean how to communicate with other employee because it is so different when you need to give them orders and coach them. Also, I learn more about how to make a store nice and do first thing first. The hardest part of the job is you really need to have a good team or it will be the worst job you ever have. I love the product and I am always enjoy working there.
A workplace that taught me a lot of new skills!
Customer Consultant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 14, 2014
Pros: great discount, free products!
Cons: constantly changing environment
A typical day at work included assisting customers with skincare, bath and body care, and makeup needs; ringing customers through cash; and restocking merchandise.
I developed skills in applying makeup on other people by giving makeovers to customers, I also learned to recommend the right makeup and skincare products to customers based on their needs and concerns. My coworkers were all very fun to work with and my managers always made sure I did my job to my level best.
I really enjoyed giving customers makeovers and being able to interact with them on a more personal level! I found it really rewarding because they loved the looks!
Work under tension,no leadership, negative feedback, unreasonable schedule
Co-Manager (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 20, 2014
Pros: good pay & benefit
Cons: has to be strong & able to take unfair treatment & negative feedback
- Very good products to sell
- not well planning in training
- not positive working environment
- not focus on upkeep of store cleanliness
- no support for new comer
- has to be strong self-learn
- no 2 way communication
- harsh on people w/ disability
- force you to quit, not by wording, but by body-language & cold shoulder
Team Leader (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJuly 11, 2014
Working for The Body Shop was amazing. The people, the management and especially the training. Here I learned excellent customer service, 7 steps of the sale, how to be a supervisor and manager that brings the best out of my team. I learned what it take to not just build but to also keep the business going. The hardest part was leaving and the most enjoyable time was Christmas. Christmas at The Body shop will always be my fondest memories.
Day in life
Shop Manager (Current Employee), Regina, skJune 20, 2014
Pros: above
Cons: none really
I really love working for a company with same culture and beliefs I have. Love to work with a product I believe in. Plus a great support system from co-managers and upper management.
good place to work
Stock Merchandiser (Former Employee), London, ONMay 20, 2014
Its an alright place to work, not much money per hour. It would start by counting cash float, helping customers, and closing. Would only work 5 hours a day for 50.00
Terrible Store manager, unrealistic expectations, overly competitive environment, unethical products
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 12, 2014
Cons: bad manager, terrible pay, unethical
I first applied to The Body Shop because of how ethical I thought they were. After being there awhile i learned that they are completely fake. They claim to be against animal testing but are owned by L'Oreal and they do test on animals. The most recent product they came out with was called moisture white, a product to lighten skin tone. All staff were told to sell to anyone who looked of Asian descent which is unbelievably racist. Store Manager was completely unreliable, and unorganized and called sick staff in to cover her shifts. All in all a terrible work environment I do not recommend working for The Body Shop at all.
Good company that does a lot of charitable work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Brampton, OnMay 2, 2014
Pros: charity work
My typical day involved selling while giving excellent customer service. I hired and trained new staff and coached current staff. We made it a fun environment for employees, plus we were involved in charity work for local shelters and fundraisers. We were like a family.
I was involved in loss prevention procedures for the store plus inventory control.

Enjoyed serving the customers and succeeding goals.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONApril 10, 2014
Pros: great people
Great place to work, especially as a student.
I learned how to be very quick and independent.
Management is friendly and understanding
My co-workers are sweet and caring people
The hardest part of my job is being a full-time student at the same time.
The most enjoyable part about my job is working for a company that has great values and believes.
Very productive and fun work environment
General Sales Manager / Coach & Trainer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2014
Pros: team, owner, customers, great store
Cons: corporate take over
Typical day?
9-5
Open store, review sales from previous eve.
Sell to customers, coach and train staff on PK every shift.
Set goals and targets for self, staff and store.
Manage team.
Motivate and challenge the team.
Books, Schedules, Inventory control.
Communicate with owner.

What Did I learn?
Management, Leadership, Public Relations skills. People skills.
How to run both a small and large team. Recruiting, refining sales skills, how to be an effective coach and trainer.
How to be a mentor.
Balancing relationship with staff and being an effective Leader.
Inventory control, merchandizing skills, organizational skills.
How to create and promote goals and targets and coached on how to achieve them.
Budgets

Management?
Here would have been Owner as I was Management. My relationship with the owner was excellent. He was a very good and supportive player. Very involved in his stores and my teams. Flexible and excellent to work for.

Co-workers?
I had wonderful teams of very dedicated staff. They loved their jobs and their co-workers and even worked on their days off just to be around each other. We ran a very successful store together. I had a fantastic Assistant Manager who ran the show when I went between stores, and who later Managed the shops when I took time off for other ventures.
Members of my Team who went on to their own careers came back to me during holidays and other busy times through out my years at The Body Shop.

Hardest Part of the job?
Watching Corporate come in and take away what the founder worked so hard to build.

The most enjoyable part of the job?
The team and the regular customers.
Selling and the friendly competition the team had to be the best.
Productive and a good energy
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Markham, ONFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: the sprays and creams did not give me a headache
Cons: nothing at all maybe the weather getting to work but work itself no cons.
The girls i worked with were amazing and always so sweet. I loved the environment and how happy everyone was coming and leaving work. It was a great experience unfortunately, I had to quite due to the fact that I moved to Toronto.
welcoming environment, no opportunity of advancement
Sales (Former Employee), ontarioFebruary 3, 2014
very good work environment as long as you are open to change. The people make the atmosphere. No chance of advancing. Everything else sucks. Definitely a dead end no matter how good or bad you are. Respectful management
Cashier (Former Employee), Belleville, ONJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: meet new people, fun, enjoyable
Cons: on your feet a long time
I loved working at the Body Shop. I was on cashier helping customers and making sure they have found everything they were looking for. I learned about their products more. My managers and co-workers were really great.
Fun place to work with excellent manager and co workers
Sales Associate and Key Holder (Former Employee), Banff, ABOctober 24, 2013
Pros: outstanding work moral
Cons: n/a
I usually opened in the morning with preparing the float,starting the computers opening the doors.As I key holder I had access to the safe.
Closing procedures were POS administration and Cash out ,finish paperwork and report to head office.
Stocking up,keeping track of orders,customer service advisory and
knowledge of our products was something I really enjoyed as a Body Shop sales associate.This company has great values and that is what I stand for as well.
The Body Shop sells very good products that I continue
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaOctober 7, 2013
Happy fun atmosphere where the assosicates truly love the product they sell.
It was a great place to work.
Customer service (Former Employee), Langley, British ColumbiaJune 26, 2013
Pros: good work environment, employee discount, working with customers
Cons: long hours, management turnover
I had a lot of fun working there. The other employees were really supportive. My manager was fun to work with too. The entire team was great to work with. Even during the holidays or during a big sale when times get tough, we still had a load of fun but still got the job done.

A typical day at work consisted a lot of helping customers with their shopping. I did a lot of consultations with them. I also earned the nickname of the Human Dictionary. It was really rewarding for me to see the results when they came back with good reviews on the products and regimes that I recommended.

One of the hardest things about my job were when a customer came in angry about something. I always managed to calm them down, but it was quite stressful, not only for myself but for the atmosphere of the store as well.
Loyal and energetic company
Sales Associate and Store Key Holder/MOD (Current Employee), Newmarket, ONJune 10, 2013
Great Staff
Great Values
Management team was efficient and fair to staff
I was able to strengthen my leadership skills, as well as gain insight on approaching customers, up selling product, and connecting sales.
Being able to successfully assist customers was a rewarding feeling that drove my sales.
Having customers come back and compliment my work ethic was rewarding.
AMAZING training program, FUN and HAPPY place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Part Time) (Former Employee), London, ONMarch 31, 2013
Super nice staff, very fun environment. Customers were always happy campers and great supporters of our line.

The training provided was amazing and makes employees feel very confident with what they are selling

About The Body Shop

The Body Shop International plc is the original, natural and ethical beauty brand. Our heritage is an amazing story of firsts. – Read more

The Body Shop Photos