The Body Shop Employee Reviews

productive, friendly staff
Customer Consultant (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC29 January 2017
I start my shift by punching in electronically, checking in with management to see what our daily deals are, and then I check our communications book from Head Office to see if there are any new updates or policies. I'm constantly learning new things as we bring in quite a fair amount of new product, which requires obtaining new information. The hardest part about my job is trying to sign new customers up as members because a lot of the time, the customer find its not worth it to purchase a membership due to they don't come in often. I enjoy most about my job my co-workers, I love the people I work with they definitely bring up moral daily.
Cons
No shock mats as we are on our feet all day
The company doesn't care
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 January 2017
Targets are unachievable. No benefits for part time employees. Called HR on my boss for multiple things (harassment, time theft, abuse in general) only to be answered with "shes my friend and I hope you're telling the truth. No communication between head office and store, products being discontinued for months before the store hears about it and has a large waiting list for said products.
Pros
Paid Lunches
Cons
no benefits for part time employees. Small bonuses if you get them
Will fight for human rights for everyone except their employees!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario15 June 2016
Probably one of the worst work experiences I have ever had. I worked there on and off for 8 years. At the start it was awesome. They have awesome values and stood by them. As the years went on it got worse and worse. Started putting mirco beads in their products and then signed up with Loreal. The pay is not good and you are overworked. Promised promotions which they should for employees who work hard within the company..make you work harder and lead you on. I will always be a customer of this company but will never ever work again for them!
Good seasonal job
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 February 2017
I worked there over the Christmas/Holiday season and it was a great experience. Management was excellent and the training was good.

The pay is too low for the amount you do though. The company makes huge profits over the holidays and they should be able to afford a decent pay for seasonal staff
Pros
Half price discount
Cons
Low pay for the work you do.
Great values, underpay employees
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2016
Working for The Body Shop in a part time role is great, you get a wonderful discount and a flexible schedule. But once you get into management is where the company falls short. Employees do not get paid for over time work, when the work load is more than 40 hours a week, and underpay their employees. I love the products but I would not be working for this company again.
Pros
Discount, occasional free new products
Cons
Heavy workload with nothing in return
nice team but falling company
Customer Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 October 2016
I started at a "golden age" with the best team and a nice manager. Since there was a different CEO and a new district manager, I feel the company is not quite well managed. Employees are not as passionate at work as before. It happened once that a store has completely NO staff and they have to borrow people from other store to cover their hours and that problem was not solved in a month. The company pays very base hourly wage and no commission.
Pros
get paid for 30min lunch break
Working At The Body Shop
Customer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 February 2017
I couldn't have asked for a more fun, inclusive, and fair first employer. From my first day I felt very welcomed by all my co workers. Hours were great and flexible when needed, and trainers were competent. Salary was fair, and product knowledge was super easy and fun
Fun, Learning experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2016
Loved working there. It was a different environment everyday. The volume of customers varied every hour and it was challenging and that was the enjoyable part of the job. Learning something new every hour about the products and attending seminars and conferences helped with the customer service. The hardest part of the job was management. They tried to maintain an amicable environment but the managers and the supervisor was extremely biased.
Pros
Free samples
Great Compant to work for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB7 June 2016
A typical day at work would be assisting customers on finding the product they were looking for, receiving stock and putting it on the shelves or stock room.

Working as a team with other co-workers as well as leading them to be successful. Thinking of different ideas to help drive business.

I worked very well with the Manager that was there at the time.

Co-workers( the main staff were great). Most of them had a good relationship with myself and the manager. We were very accommodating.

The hardest part of the job would have been trying to do well when it was slower.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working for such a great company with great products. I loved working for a company that had such a passion to use products that were not harmful to you.
Pros
Great products
Cons
Long hours at Christmas
Productive and fun environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 November 2016
Focus on daily target and stretch
how to sell with enthusiasm and retain customers
work as a team to meet targets and give legendary customer service always
Pros
great team/culture
Cons
not enough recognition
Great position!
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON6 February 2017
I loved the customers, staff, the work! Always something to do just overall a really amazing spot for me to kick start my beauty career ! Couldn't have asked for any better.
horrible managment, technically a great company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario9 March 2016
company is great, on a level of products and technically how they want things run,

the management hired into any location, at any level, has no communication with staff, tend to be negative and rude towards staff on a personal level,
and they offer no career advancement opportunities,
Pros
free products at launches, discounts
Cons
no management quality
very productive and a fun place.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK7 January 2017
i got to talk to customers, meet new people,talk about the body shop products. i was also a cashier. i made new friends. i was a good sales representative.my colleagues were all fun and good to me. the work environment was good.
Pros
free lunches and got paid for my breaks.
Cons
customers were rude
Workplace culture
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 February 2017
working friendly environment, the most enjoyable is product knowledge, understanding community trade around the world, very inspiration.

a typical day at work is being creative.
Fun, rewarding, great management, lots of support
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 September 2016
Love working for The Body Shop, not only can I feel good about working everyday for a brand that is a leader in ethical standards, but its a fun job. The products I love, the teams and relationships I have made. I wouldn't want to work anywhere else.
Pros
Free Product, Against animal testing
Lovely place to work.
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC28 September 2016
Loved working for The Body Shop, all the great smells and produces made it easy to talk about and sell. I really enjoyed doing customers makeup and demonstrating how produces worked.
Fun place to work
Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 September 2016
I enjoyed working closely with the mechanics and learning new things about vehicles. I enjoyed dealing with clients and upselling new parts for the vehicles.
Pros
Free lunches
The bodyshop
Shop manger Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta canada14 April 2016
Poor management not a honest company.Great co_ workers. NOT TO TRUST MANAGEMENT get everything in writing. THE BEST PART helping the customers.
Pros
50% off products
Cons
Poor management
Really love working there
Customer Consultant - Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON17 March 2015
I loved working there. I loved the products, I loved the stories of the products, I loved what the job entailed, and talking to the customers there. Typical day is on your feet, approaching customers, and explaining products. You have to have a basic knowledge of skincare and basic skin conditions and chemicals in products. You have to know the benefits of different ingredients (ex. hemp vs. vitamin E for dry, red skin) and how to market it to the customer. Customers were always friendly. Management can be really good or really bad. I've worked in one store and had to go to another store for a couple nights because they were short staffed. One of managers was very overwhelming and demanding, the other was very kind and fun and free-spirited. It's all about who you get as a manager. Co-workers are alright. You either have your friends or you have your competition. Hardest part is selling the membership card, most enjoyable part is the customers and the products. Getting ready for work is fun too - I've never had a job that asked me to get make up on and be as pretty as I can be.
Pros
Good discount, awesome products, great customers
Cons
Long hours on their hard-wood floors can hurt your legs, booking time off is a pain
It was a great place to work.
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Langley, British Columbia26 June 2013
I had a lot of fun working there. The other employees were really supportive. My manager was fun to work with too. The entire team was great to work with. Even during the holidays or during a big sale when times get tough, we still had a load of fun but still got the job done.

A typical day at work consisted a lot of helping customers with their shopping. I did a lot of consultations with them. I also earned the nickname of the Human Dictionary. It was really rewarding for me to see the results when they came back with good reviews on the products and regimes that I recommended.

One of the hardest things about my job were when a customer came in angry about something. I always managed to calm them down, but it was quite stressful, not only for myself but for the atmosphere of the store as well.
Pros
good work environment, employee discount, working with customers
Cons
long hours, management turnover