The Body Shop

The Body Shop Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very productive and fun work environment
General Sales Manager / Coach & Trainer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2014
Pros: team, owner, customers, great store
Cons: corporate take over
Typical day?
9-5
Open store, review sales from previous eve.
Sell to customers, coach and train staff on PK every shift.
Set goals and targets for self, staff and store.
Manage team.
Motivate and challenge the team.
Books, Schedules, Inventory control.
Communicate with owner.

What Did I learn?
Management, Leadership, Public Relations skills. People skills.
How to run both a small and large team. Recruiting, refining sales skills, how to be an effective coach and trainer.
How to be a mentor.
Balancing relationship with staff and being an effective Leader.
Inventory control, merchandizing skills, organizational skills.
How to create and promote goals and targets and coached on how to achieve them.
Budgets

Management?
Here would have been Owner as I was Management. My relationship with the owner was excellent. He was a very good and supportive player. Very involved in his stores and my teams. Flexible and excellent to work for.

Co-workers?
I had wonderful teams of very dedicated staff. They loved their jobs and their co-workers and even worked on their days off just to be around each other. We ran a very successful store together. I had a fantastic Assistant Manager who ran the show when I went between stores, and who later Managed the shops when I took time off for other ventures.
Members of my Team who went on to their own careers came back to me during holidays and other busy times through out my years at The Body Shop.

Hardest Part of the job?
Watching Corporate come in and take away what the founder worked so hard to build.

The most enjoyable part of the job?
The team – more... and the regular customers.
Selling and the friendly competition the team had to be the best. – less
Fun and Friendly work place with flexible hours
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 8, 2013
Pros: flexible around school, ethics, helpful co-workers
Cons: few hours
A typical day at work includes: getting updated on the sales going on for the day, products we may have gotten in or ran out of. We are also told our goals for sales, ATV and number of memberships to sell. We then go about greeting and helping customers with their wants and needs. This sometimes means looking up ingredient lists for people with allergies, calling other stores to see if they have a product, asking about the customers skin types to figure out the best product for them. It could also mean helping someone find a gift, which can be complicated or easy depending on how much they know about the person. Very rarely have I had to resort to a simple gift card rather than finding a suitable gift that people of all ages and likes would enjoy. I have learned about various ingredients that a only found in products found at the Body Shop that help support community fair trade or that are healthier than regular products you could find at other stores. The management is great, but sometimes hard to learn info from and I have had to look up information on the company website. The hardest part of the job is that there are not many hours to be had. the most enjoyable part is being at work! My co-workers are great and have a great knowledge base of the products themselves so we often help each other out. Another part I love about this job is that it is not just about sales as many retail jobs seem to be. I spend a lot of my time actually getting to know all about the customer and we become more friends than the usual customer-sales associate relationship that leaves you feeling – more... like a machine rather than a person. – less
The Body Shop was definately the most exciting - and best smelling - job environmentI have ever worked in.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Devonshire mall, Howard.February 21, 2013
Pros: half an our free roam lunches around the mall!, (i loved how you can leave and do whatever you like in that time)
Cons: if you were having any feelings of loniness throughout the day, you were screwed because there was a lot of pretty girls around :p
To be honest, the typical day at work was a walk in the park, and however exciting the environment was, the job itself was unstimulating because my social skills already surpass that of a sales associate for beauty products- but a job's a job, am I right?
My favorite part had to be taking in the shipments and stocking, because I am the type of person who ADORES stretching their memory and I loved having to know what product was where and how much at all times, and doing all the calculations in my head all the while, boy did I enjoy that! The co-workers and management there were to die for in their levels of kindness and compassion and I could not have asked for a better work team. Unfortunately the only information I learned there was a few new bits on teatree oil and vitamin E products, etc. All in all, the Body shop was a dream job and I was glad to work there for the short time that I did, because there was no hard tasks whatsoever.
Really love working there
Customer Consultant - Seasonal (Former Employee), Oakville, ONMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Good discount, awesome products, great customers
Cons: Long hours on their hard-wood floors can hurt your legs, booking time off is a pain
I loved working there. I loved the products, I loved the stories of the products, I loved what the job entailed, and talking to the customers there. Typical day is on your feet, approaching customers, and explaining products. You have to have a basic knowledge of skincare and basic skin conditions and chemicals in products. You have to know the benefits of different ingredients (ex. hemp vs. vitamin E for dry, red skin) and how to market it to the customer. Customers were always friendly. Management can be really good or really bad. I've worked in one store and had to go to another store for a couple nights because they were short staffed. One of managers was very overwhelming and demanding, the other was very kind and fun and free-spirited. It's all about who you get as a manager. Co-workers are alright. You either have your friends or you have your competition. Hardest part is selling the membership card, most enjoyable part is the customers and the products. Getting ready for work is fun too - I've never had a job that asked me to get make up on and be as pretty as I can be.
Fun, energetic place to work, with a strong focus on community fair trade values.
Key holder/Team Leader (Current Employee), Kitchener, OntarioJuly 18, 2012
A typical day at The Body Shop starts with ensuring that the Point of Sale system is balanced, and working correctly. After completing the morning paperwork, the day is focused on ensuring that all customer needs are met, and all associates know their personal goals and the goals for the store that day.
Through working at The Body Shop I have learned how great it is work for a company with strong values such as, community fair trade, and not testing on animals. Through these strong values, I appreciate any company with a strong set of values, and that put their customers first.
The hardest part of my job at the team leader is balancing managing my fellow associates, and the interpersonal relationships I have formed with them.
The most enjoyable part of my job is providing our customers with great products that I am proud to sell to them.
It was a great place to work.
Customer service (Former Employee), Langley, British ColumbiaJune 26, 2013
Pros: good work environment, employee discount, working with customers
Cons: long hours, management turnover
I had a lot of fun working there. The other employees were really supportive. My manager was fun to work with too. The entire team was great to work with. Even during the holidays or during a big sale when times get tough, we still had a load of fun but still got the job done.

A typical day at work consisted a lot of helping customers with their shopping. I did a lot of consultations with them. I also earned the nickname of the Human Dictionary. It was really rewarding for me to see the results when they came back with good reviews on the products and regimes that I recommended.

One of the hardest things about my job were when a customer came in angry about something. I always managed to calm them down, but it was quite stressful, not only for myself but for the atmosphere of the store as well.
High energized, fun workplace
Cashier and Sales Person and Stock person (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: great management and staff amazing product
Cons: minimum wage
A typical day at work consisted of dealing with cash, selling and restocking and trying out the amazing products.

I learned how to better deal with cash. I learned how to open and close a shop. I learned how to properly sell product.
I learned about the products.

The management was amazing!! Best people I have ever worked for. They were very friendly but consistent and stern when needed. Very organized, understanding and driven. Wonderful people.

My co-workers as well were very friendly, fun, enthusiastic, organized and driven.

The hardest part of my job was - nothing except getting paid minimum wage.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the management and staff and the amazing product i got to try out and sell each day!!
Lovely coworkers and great product
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: great product, staff discount, co workers, smells amazing, cruelty free, fair trade
Cons: few shifts, part-time only, head office, minimum wage
Being in the corner of a mall, traffic can be quite slow. When I open the store I prepare the registers and floor for customers. Checking email to see if there are any changes to the sales. When the store opens it is slow. I make a list of things that can be done throughout the day if one hasn't already been made.

All the people I have worked with have been absolutely amazing. They are the kindest people I have met. I became friends with them very quickly, whether it was the current staff when I joined or the new hires.

The best part of this job is that you get to work with people you enjoy being around.
Terrible Store manager, unrealistic expectations, overly competitive environment, unethical products
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 12, 2014
Cons: bad manager, terrible pay, unethical
I first applied to The Body Shop because of how ethical I thought they were. After being there awhile i learned that they are completely fake. They claim to be against animal testing but are owned by L'Oreal and they do test on animals. The most recent product they came out with was called moisture white, a product to lighten skin tone. All staff were told to sell to anyone who looked of Asian descent which is unbelievably racist. Store Manager was completely unreliable, and unorganized and called sick staff in to cover her shifts. All in all a terrible work environment I do not recommend working for The Body Shop at all.
A workplace that taught me a lot of new skills!
Customer Consultant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 14, 2014
Pros: great discount, free products!
Cons: constantly changing environment
A typical day at work included assisting customers with skincare, bath and body care, and makeup needs; ringing customers through cash; and restocking merchandise.
I developed skills in applying makeup on other people by giving makeovers to customers, I also learned to recommend the right makeup and skincare products to customers based on their needs and concerns. My coworkers were all very fun to work with and my managers always made sure I did my job to my level best.
I really enjoyed giving customers makeovers and being able to interact with them on a more personal level! I found it really rewarding because they loved the looks!
Awful place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto ONMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Reasonable wages
Cons: Lack of planning
I always wanted to work at the body shop so when I got hired I was very excited, however, this only lasted a couple days. The manager lacked enthusiasm and organization, I got zero training and the schedule was awful, I was pretty much on call when I clearly told them I had another job, they still did not care.
I had to leave because it was just awful, I hated it and felt so uncomfortable, co workers are very helpful and nice but the management lacks a lot of organization and planning. There is a lack of communication so one manager would say one thing completely different from another.
In sum, I would never go back there. This is a shame since I love to shop at the store and I love their products
Great Company to Work for
Part-time Permanent Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 2, 2015
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: n/a
The Body Shop is a great place to work as it deals with face to face interactions. If you enjoy meeting people and adding value to their day, then The Body Shop is the company to join. TBS ensures that there is continual training provided on a regular basis to maintain knowledgeable employees . The Body Shop allows their employees to share their ideas to hep the company stay current with trends and with what appeals to their clients. Everyday was a great working day, from the energetic employees to the customers who wanted to educate themselves on proper skin care & about TBS's community trade program.
It is fun place to work and you can enjoy all the products
Sales Associate&Back up Team Leader (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: good employee discuont
Cons: break is short and team is really important
The job is always busy or you need to keep yourself busy. There is always something do to, greet customers, restock, and learn more about products. I learn a lot form as job as a team lead. I lean how to communicate with other employee because it is so different when you need to give them orders and coach them. Also, I learn more about how to make a store nice and do first thing first. The hardest part of the job is you really need to have a good team or it will be the worst job you ever have. I love the product and I am always enjoy working there.
Fun place to work with excellent manager and co workers
Sales Associate and Key Holder (Former Employee), Banff, ABOctober 24, 2013
Pros: outstanding work moral
Cons: n/a
I usually opened in the morning with preparing the float,starting the computers opening the doors.As I key holder I had access to the safe.
Closing procedures were POS administration and Cash out ,finish paperwork and report to head office.
Stocking up,keeping track of orders,customer service advisory and
knowledge of our products was something I really enjoyed as a Body Shop sales associate.This company has great values and that is what I stand for as well.
TBS is a beauty company providing the consumers with a product that is not only fantastic but it supports and sustains world wide initiatives.
District Sales Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 14, 2012
Pros: world wide, great market, great peers
Cons: lack of direction, lack of consistant management
TBS is a world wide company. The Canadian market is going through alot of changes and I would consider very unstable.

My position consisted of daily review of sales, setting action plans, touchbases, conference calls and shop visits. This position exposed me to the beauty industry which I was not familular with.
contiuous learning and great atmosphere
Customer Consultant & Key Holder (Current Employee), Sarnia, ONJuly 21, 2015
Pros: company promos when new product comes out
Cons: none
Everyday is a new learning experience, with new products coming out every few months, your always learning something new about current or new product, daily specials and ongoing customer service.
My boss is the greatest holds everyone to their own standard, and holds everyone accountable to obtain goals... love seeing return customers that remember me and what I've taught them about skin care or make-up application.
Good company that does a lot of charitable work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Brampton, OnMay 2, 2014
Pros: charity work
My typical day involved selling while giving excellent customer service. I hired and trained new staff and coached current staff. We made it a fun environment for employees, plus we were involved in charity work for local shelters and fundraisers. We were like a family.
I was involved in loss prevention procedures for the store plus inventory control.

Enjoyed serving the customers and succeeding goals.
Work under tension,no leadership, negative feedback, unreasonable schedule
Co-Manager (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 20, 2014
Pros: good pay & benefit
Cons: has to be strong & able to take unfair treatment & negative feedback
- Very good products to sell
- not well planning in training
- not positive working environment
- not focus on upkeep of store cleanliness
- no support for new comer
- has to be strong self-learn
- no 2 way communication
- harsh on people w/ disability
- force you to quit, not by wording, but by body-language & cold shoulder
Productive and Fun Workplace
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee), Dartmouth NSMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Paid Breaks
A typical day at work consists of helping customers find what their looking for and telling them all about what The Body Shop stands for. I learned all about the products to ensure the best product for the customer, the co-workers were amazing and the management were always there in case we had any questions. The best part of the job was when it was busy because the time just flew by and you didn't even notice.
Team Leader (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJuly 11, 2014
Working for The Body Shop was amazing. The people, the management and especially the training. Here I learned excellent customer service, 7 steps of the sale, how to be a supervisor and manager that brings the best out of my team. I learned what it take to not just build but to also keep the business going. The hardest part was leaving and the most enjoyable time was Christmas. Christmas at The Body shop will always be my fondest memories.
Employees