The Beer Store Employee Reviews

Never gave me a chance to learn
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 April 2017
Was expected to memorize their horribly designed cash register in 2 weeks. The people where nice and I was very fast at sorting but was let go because i couldn't memorize who brews every single beer in the whole store within 2 weeks.
its not the lcbo
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON23 April 2017
It's not what you think very poor moral. Constant cuts that make you work harder with poor pay and benifets it's a paycheque every 2 weeks nothing else trust me on this just ask any manager
Pros
good staff
Cons
upper management has no clue
Volunteering for Bottle Drive
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON15 April 2017
Volunteering at the Bottle drive is a great experience. The staff there are super friendly and it is a great cause and everyone you come in contact with are nice and there is no hard time.
Started as part time, now I'm here for life
Store manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 April 2017
I came here to work as a part time employee, and save up enough to go to school. Basically, in the long run, I didn't end up going to school, but decided to progress with my career through the beer store. I was there for two years, I worked hard, and I got promoted. I now make just as much, if not more, than someone who has a college diploma. It's an amazing job, I love my employees and the opportunities it presents. If you manage to get into the beer store, KEEP IT. Unions are hard to get into! AND there's a pension!!!
Pros
Paid lunches, good pay, moving up fast, fun, union
Cons
Winters are sparse, the job can get dirty
Working at the beer store
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 April 2017
Very good people ,great workplace. Fast pace keeps you on your toes. Social and always interacting with people. management is good,there always there for any questions you may have. Hardest part would be the lifting. Most enjoyable part would be working with your team and meeting new people.
Pros
fast days
Cons
always busy
Fun work environments with many opportunities to learn new things
Retail Sales (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON3 April 2017
This job requires both physical and mental ability. I am always learning about new products we carry and constantly gaining confidence in this workplace. My fellow employees help bring some fun to the job. We always try to help each other out when possible.
Can be a great team building experience
Customer Service Rep (temp) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 April 2017
Great company to get experience in the frontline workforce.

Going to add much of nothing to get the minimum of one hundred and fifty characters, unfortunately I have said all I can come up with.
Pros
Team Work
Cons
Poor supervisor attitudes at with some
The Beer Store
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON27 March 2017
I really enjoyed my time working at The Beer Store, in Toronto and Kingston locations. The job was hard work but rewarding. At times I would've appreciated more working hours. In all great work and life experience.
Fun and Informative
Bottle Sorter (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON20 March 2017
At the Beer store it was a fun place to work with little stress or pressure. Very relaxed and fun managers. Was overall a great job to work at during highschool
Great atmosphere, fast pace, professional
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 March 2017
A core business in Ontario. The Beer Store creates a positive and cohesive work environment that is extremely professional, very well managed and fulfilling to be a part of.
Pros
Fast pace, room for advancement
Cons
Lack of hours on occasion
Intimidating at first but ultimately enjoyable work
Driver Helper/Order Assembly (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON9 March 2017
The two main tasks for new employees is driver assistant and order assembler, either riding along with the truck driver's to deliver beer across the region or assembling orders with an end rider pallet jack in the warehouse.

The management and culture of the workplace are inviting and welcoming, and helpful with new employees still learning.

Learning to operate an end rider pallet jack as well as valuable customer service skills dealing with restaurant and bar owners to ensure they are getting their product in a reasonable and timely manner.
Pros
Travelling all day, varied work
Cons
Unpredictable hours/opportunity for advancement
stay away save yourself the grief
Retail Associate / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halton Hills, ON6 March 2017
Horrible don't recommend unless your desperate for a job. Over worked. Horrible morale. Very dirty job especially the empties. Expect management to not care about your safety. Minimum wage with union dues so not very rewarding. Hard to advance in this place.
Pros
NONE !
Cons
IT SUCKS
Overall good place to work, fun staff, engaging with customers, tasks to be completed. No always enough hours and pay was lower than expected
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2017
- A typical day at work consisted of opening the store preparing tills, interacting and engaging customers throughout the day. Storage of stock in the back, loading of product onto the shelves. Till check and closing responsibilities such as cleaning and inventory at day end.

- I learned that I really enjoy and excel with customer service, how to manage people of varying backgrounds and abilities. I realized the work is too repetitive and the compensation isn't that good. Overall I need more challenging work with more room to grow and learn.

- Workplace culture was good everyone was friendly and I enjoyed talking with them.

- Hardest part of the job was dealing with customers when we would run out of product and having to explain to them when things go wrong its not necessarily our fault.
Pros
inteacting with people all day
Cons
low pay, bizarre hours
Minimum wage job
Barrie Cross Dock, Warehouse Employee (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON1 March 2017
It is a minimum wage job to start, but pay and benefits are fairly decent if hired on permanent part time, or full-time. Management seems to turn over a lot so its hard to get used to any one manager or management structure.
Easy job but bad pay compared to competitors
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 February 2017
Pros:

- If you truly want part-time hours like if you're a student (or just looking for retail experience) you'll get them here September-April (I average 5.5-11.5 hours a week during the down season), it's much busier in the summer though and you'll get 16-24, some managers are more flexible than others with schedule making
- Great people to work with for the most part, some of the full-timers are lazy though and are always leaving early
- Straightforward job for casual workers, you'll be on cash 99% of the time

Cons:

- Dealing with empties!! Customers are messy and sometimes rude to deal with
- Almost always understaffed (literally 2 people run the entire store the majority of the time, one on cash and one in the back) and customers get understandably impatient during rushes
- Working overtime is absolutely forbidden, a manager told me this directly and told me I would have to call other stores to find someone to cover my shift instead of giving it to someone at our store who would've made a measly 1.5 hours OT pay
- The job advancement is even worse than the LCBO (which takes about 10 years to get full-time status), some people have waited over 8 years for just permanent part-time status
- You start at minimum wage while also paying union dues... LCBO starting pay is like $14 something just for training/probation period.
Fantastic work place
Retail Sales / Cashier Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 February 2017
Lots to do and never boring! Great management, great co-workers, great customers in a great area! Everyone has an equal opportunity to learn and excel in the company
No advancement opportunities.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON22 February 2017
The only opportunity of advancement is going from part time to full time. You essentially still do the exact same tasks. Decent wages for a fairly easy job, but company rewards seniority too much and hard work far too little.
Pros
Decent wages, flexible hours/shifts, keeps you busy
Cons
Lack of advancement
excellent place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Port Hope, ON22 February 2017
A typical day at The Beer store is very busy. It is continues with purchase of empty returns, and beer sales. Great team environment, and leaders. the work life balance works great for my family. In due time the pay increase, and hours will increase with seniority.
Pros
lots of room to advance.
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 February 2017
The coworkers were all friendly. Great experience, would recommend working at The Beer Store. The hardest part of the job was handling empties on a Saturday. Sometimes the cans and bottles would be extremely dirty, but that was part of the job. However, most customers were really nice. You also learn a lot about different brands of beers!
Great place to work with great co workers
Costumer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fergus, ON17 February 2017
You get to meet new people everyday, is a fast working environment and the management is great. You get your hands dirty and feel good about it after.
Pros
Great flexible hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Beer Store. Our community is ready to answer.