The Beer Store Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work!
Full Time Stockperson (Current Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ONJanuary 18, 2016
A typical day at work for me was going in to open, getting cashes ready, beer in the fridge and occasionally loading and unloading trucks before daily business started. After the store was open, you work cash (empties or full side), sorting empties, getting beer for customers, completing transactions, filling single can cooler and cleaning and keeping store tidy and organized.

I worked for The Beer Store for almost 10 years. I learned almost everything I know about customer service, beer products (through online and personal training), and what it takes make sure people leave wanting to come back.

Management is fantastic both at the store and district level. Everyone is very supportive of staff advancing and doing what they can to help you get to where you want to be.

Co-workers were the best part of the job. At our store we were not just co-workers, we were a team. We came to work, did the job but most importantly, had fun doing it. We supported each other and made sure that if we came in a bad mood, we left in a great one! This is probably what I will miss most about the job!

The hardest part of the job was the lifting and repetitive motions. However, the company provides you with the training you need to make sure that no injuries come from the job. If you follow procedure and don't rush, you leave in the same condition you came to work in.

The most enjoyable part of the job was again, the people I worked with. If I had to choose something else it would be the incentives and the recognition. They make sure to tell you that you're doing a job well
  more... done and offer didn't programs to get you into the spirit of working for them and exceeding with customer service.  less
Good environment
Accounting clerk (contract) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 12, 2016
Overall great company to work for with a great CEO. You feel like you are adding value to the company with your day to day tasks.
The only thing I don't like is that the company has majority of its staff in head office on contract which creates a lack of job stability and security.
Great part time job!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Every day at TBS is fast paced and exciting for anyone who enjoys customer service. Majority of the customers are always happy to be in the store, and my co-workers were all positive, helpful, and hard working. A great place for any student to work while in school.
nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONNovember 9, 2015
I great place to work. I've been working part time with this company for 11+ years. Advancement can be difficult because of the union. It is more of a physically demanding job then that of a mentally challenging position.

If you like interacting with the public, and enjoy a physically demanding position. this job is for you.
The Beer Store
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  London, ONNovember 6, 2015
Inbound call center job processing beer orders for licensees and retail partners in Ontario and western Canada. Also performed general office duties
awesome customer service based company
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Wawa, ONSeptember 26, 2015
A typical job at work consists of serving customers, answering phone calls, disposing many empty alcoholic beverages, from wine and liquor bottles to cans to using the machinery to move bins as well as full pallets in the warehouse. I also complete empty counts as well as complete money transactions and exchanges with Brinks security. Also my typical shift includes closing the store at the end of the day.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
only part time
Productive Energetic Work Place
Senior Part Time Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONSeptember 24, 2015
A typical job at work consists of serving customers, answering phone calls, disposing many empty alcoholic beverages, from wine and liquor bottles to cans to using the machinery to move bins in the warehouse. I also complete empty counts as well as complete money transactions and exchanges with Brinks security.
Pros
Other co-workers
Productive workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  BrooklinSeptember 21, 2015
Supportive management and coworkers at the Beer Store. The hours are very flexible and it is a fun environment to work in.
Awful. Don't walk, RUN from this company.
Regular Employee (Former Employee) –  AnonymousAugust 22, 2015
The Beer Store used to be a work place you could be proud to say you are a part of. Not anymore. From my experience, working at the logistics aspect, not retail- there is very little room to grow or develop. Minimal pay, yet very high expectations from your superiors. Management has to be the worst I have ever seen. They don't listen to the existing issues or employee suggestions, they rather sweep everything under the carpet and then scratch their monkey heads when things go wrong. This company is PRO MANAGEMENT. Which is great if you`re a supervisor, but for us typical workers, it is not a good place to be. As for the people- prepare to rewind back to high school. The gossip, rumors, and harassment that goes on in the workplace is flabbergasting. It is so dreadful there the turnover rate is astronomical. There is lots of hiring due to this fact- it is too bad I would not even recommend my worst enemy to apply! Terrible.
Pros
None.
Cons
pro management, little pay, high expectations, stressful, politics
Fun job; under-payed for work done
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  StrathroyJuly 17, 2015
For this job, it is really the coworkers that make it worthwhile.
I earned minimum wage ($11/hr) however, the pay is unfair due to the wide range of duties and the work atmosphere.
The rush always begins at around 5 O'clock, as well as being hit with taking empties.
Cons
High pressure, fast pasted
Fast paced environment with diverse expectations.
Store Health and Safety Representative (Current Employee) –  Chatham-KentJuly 6, 2015
Over the last 4 years working for the Beer Store I have come to see many pros and cons. First of all for all those who wonder I'll clear the air since it is always the first question I get. No, there is no free beer or employee discount. There are other perks however that come with the job.

For starters most positions that are with The Beer Store are part time. Full time jobs do exist, however there are people in our seniority group that have been there for over 8 years and still can not land one of these highly sought after positions. The pay rate starts at minimum wage however this is a very common with most larger companies for whatever excuse they can pull out of a hat that day.

With that being said there are a lot of bright sides to The Beer Store. The work place is a unionized environment which allows it to come with a few perks. Over time it is possible to work up from minimum wage up to upwards around almost 18$ an hour, which in retail isn't bad. The largest perk of all is the online courses sponsored in collaboration through the union, UFCW and Mohawk College. Presently it offers courses to complete a certificate in Occupational Health and Safety, Basic Computing Skills, Health and Fitness, and Labour Relations. (These may have changed as I know the union is looking into other partnerships with other educational institutes).

As far as day to day tasks, everybody is trained on using the till, sorting empties (which is by far the least glorious job of all), using the electric transporter and lift truck, opening and closing the store, and receiving money
  more... orders from Brinks. As workers gain more seniority, there are greater expectations of them.

For the most part management at the Beer Store has been pretty good. In my time with the company I have gone through 4 managers and only had a serious issue with one which was cleared up. I do believe the company does well to pick good individuals for management however I do understand there is a high turnover rate. This is often due to lower then expected pay in comparison to other management positions and the idea that the position would be a "desk job".

One of the hardest parts of my job is how monotonous the work becomes. Most days when you greet a customer, you will get a response like, "Blue, or Bush Light". Although most regulars at the Beer Store have not been much for conversation from as much as I could pull from them, some others have been useful for networking.

One of my favorite parts of this job that I will take away from it is how much you get to learn about beer itself, the brewing process and increasingly with the company reinvention, food pairing. As a person who appreciates beer with flavor and character it has done wonders for opening up the world of beer. So much in fact that I have begun my own home brewing.

All things considered the Beer Store does provide a decent part time job (or a for now job as I call it). It is not a position that will pay your bills. You will absolutely need to juggle a second job on the side. But a person can do worse, and given our present economic climate it is not a bad place to be.
Pros
Pays for online college courses
Cons
Mediocre pay, lack of hours.
Great workplace environment made possible by the people who work there.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 1, 2015
There is no typical day at The Beer Store because the duties vary day to day which include stocking, cashier, unloading trucks, supervisor duties etc. The most important thing that I have learned is that customer service is vital to the overall success of a business. The management is dedicated and my co workers make it possible to want to come to work everyday. The most enjoyable part of the job is conversing with the customers.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
limited hours for part timers
Productive and unique work place.
Cashier and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dunnville, Ontario and Toronto, OntarioMay 28, 2015
On a typical day at work were greeting customers and providing product knowledge. As well as a cashier a typical shifts includes stock and sales associate duties through out the store as well with customers. Ive learned a lot about beer and beer companies as well as food pairing and the difference between beers as well as customer service skills. At this job I work as a individual as well as part of a team which is great as I increase my skills as a individual as well as my skills being a leader and a listener depending what roll in the group I'm doing at said time. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to. test my product knowledge when helping customers. I love talking with new people and striking up conversations but I'm also fascinated with the different kinda of beer and the amount of things that can be done with beer so sharing that knowledge with someone is very rewarding. Regarding the hardest part of the job, I think every job is challenging to some degree but I find at this particular job its constantly the same challenges and they gradually become easier with your increase in knowledge and skill, so I wouldn't say there are any particular challenges that stick out to me.
Pros
The environment
Cons
Lack of hours
Productive and engaging workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 9, 2015
The Beer Store is a productive and engaging work environment that encourages hard work and excellent customer service.
Productive fun environment to work in
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 6, 2015
Busy, fast paced working environment with lots of fun. co- workers are always in a fun cheerful mood which brings in positive vibes.
great work, bad employee attitudes
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dufferin MallApril 21, 2015
Working at The Beer Store is both labour intensive and customer service driven. With recent changes, it demands even more from their employees while giving back less. Being promoted is largely circumstantial and politics driven. Hard work is rarely rewarded and as a hard worker, I am unhappy giving my all to a company that does not recognize my abilities. Quite often, a positive attitude and strong work ethic is met by resistance from employees at all levels, which I believe to be a common factor in unionized environments.

As a whole, working at The Beer Store is great! They are flexible, there are occasional perks, and once promoted, the compensation is above average for retail.
Pros
easy job, flexible hours
Cons
not enough hours
Great Job to work while balancing school and athletics
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, OntarioApril 14, 2015
Communicate regularly with customers to ensure satisfaction, resulting in receiving positive customer reviews and positive feedback from customer survey results
Great place to work, treat you fair, and dedicated to personal growth.
Retail Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Listowel, ONApril 1, 2015
The Beer Store really focuses on personal growth and support. Gives you appropriate tools to promote success. Hours of sale are great for most locations and very interactive with your customers.
Pros
Lots of support, team/family atmosphere, hours of operation, opportunity for growth, diverse extra responsibilities.
easy work days and good people to work with, people who are not in decent physical shape will find it challenging.
Temp.Part Time (Former Employee) –  Fort Erie, ONMarch 10, 2015
most of the work is fairly easy if you are of average fitness. a day includes working on the till loading the shelves and maintaining a clean store. management was friendly but stern when it mattered and always backed its workers appropriately. Co-workers were great easy going, friendly and willing to help customer or fellow employee. The job did not consist of many difficult areas. The most enjoyable part of the job was loading the shelves it included being active and carrying up to 40 pounds but this is usually the job of the senior employees.
Pros
free lunches at times and a good work environment
Cons
irrational customers who tend to be a handful.
Interesting
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ONMarch 1, 2015
I learned a lot in a short period of time but didn't get to really advanced her before I left. I got to learn about the different types of beer and distributers before I left along with the chance to balance safes and tills