The Beer Store

The Beer Store Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fast paced environment with diverse expectations.
Store Health and Safety Representative (Current Employee), Chatham-KentJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Pays for online college courses
Cons: Mediocre pay, lack of hours.
Over the last 4 years working for the Beer Store I have come to see many pros and cons. First of all for all those who wonder I'll clear the air since it is always the first question I get. No, there is no free beer or employee discount. There are other perks however that come with the job.

For starters most positions that are with The Beer Store are part time. Full time jobs do exist, however there are people in our seniority group that have been there for over 8 years and still can not land one of these highly sought after positions. The pay rate starts at minimum wage however this is a very common with most larger companies for whatever excuse they can pull out of a hat that day.

With that being said there are a lot of bright sides to The Beer Store. The work place is a unionized environment which allows it to come with a few perks. Over time it is possible to work up from minimum wage up to upwards around almost 18$ an hour, which in retail isn't bad. The largest perk of all is the online courses sponsored in collaboration through the union, UFCW and Mohawk College. Presently it offers courses to complete a certificate in Occupational Health and Safety, Basic Computing Skills, Health and Fitness, and Labour Relations. (These may have changed as I know the union is looking into other partnerships with other educational institutes).

As far as day to day tasks, everybody is trained on using the till, sorting empties (which is by far the least glorious job of all), using the electric transporter and lift truck, opening and closing the store, and receiving money – more... orders from Brinks. As workers gain more seniority, there are greater expectations of them.

For the most part management at the Beer Store has been pretty good. In my time with the company I have gone through 4 managers and only had a serious issue with one which was cleared up. I do believe the company does well to pick good individuals for management however I do understand there is a high turnover rate. This is often due to lower then expected pay in comparison to other management positions and the idea that the position would be a "desk job".

One of the hardest parts of my job is how monotonous the work becomes. Most days when you greet a customer, you will get a response like, "Blue, or Bush Light". Although most regulars at the Beer Store have not been much for conversation from as much as I could pull from them, some others have been useful for networking.

One of my favorite parts of this job that I will take away from it is how much you get to learn about beer itself, the brewing process and increasingly with the company reinvention, food pairing. As a person who appreciates beer with flavor and character it has done wonders for opening up the world of beer. So much in fact that I have begun my own home brewing.

All things considered the Beer Store does provide a decent part time job (or a for now job as I call it). It is not a position that will pay your bills. You will absolutely need to juggle a second job on the side. But a person can do worse, and given our present economic climate it is not a bad place to be. – less
Great workplace environment made possible by the people who work there.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Markham, ONJune 1, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Cons: limited hours for part timers
There is no typical day at The Beer Store because the duties vary day to day which include stocking, cashier, unloading trucks, supervisor duties etc. The most important thing that I have learned is that customer service is vital to the overall success of a business. The management is dedicated and my co workers make it possible to want to come to work everyday. The most enjoyable part of the job is conversing with the customers.
Productive and unique work place.
Cashier and Sales Associate (Current Employee), Dunnville, Ontario and Toronto, OntarioMay 28, 2015
Pros: The environment
Cons: Lack of hours
On a typical day at work were greeting customers and providing product knowledge. As well as a cashier a typical shifts includes stock and sales associate duties through out the store as well with customers. Ive learned a lot about beer and beer companies as well as food pairing and the difference between beers as well as customer service skills. At this job I work as a individual as well as part of a team which is great as I increase my skills as a individual as well as my skills being a leader and a listener depending what roll in the group I'm doing at said time. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to. test my product knowledge when helping customers. I love talking with new people and striking up conversations but I'm also fascinated with the different kinda of beer and the amount of things that can be done with beer so sharing that knowledge with someone is very rewarding. Regarding the hardest part of the job, I think every job is challenging to some degree but I find at this particular job its constantly the same challenges and they gradually become easier with your increase in knowledge and skill, so I wouldn't say there are any particular challenges that stick out to me.
Productive and engaging workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 9, 2015
The Beer Store is a productive and engaging work environment that encourages hard work and excellent customer service.
Productive fun environment to work in
Retail Associate (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMay 6, 2015
Busy, fast paced working environment with lots of fun. co- workers are always in a fun cheerful mood which brings in positive vibes.
great work, bad employee attitudes
Clerk (Current Employee), Dufferin MallApril 21, 2015
Pros: easy job, flexible hours
Cons: not enough hours
Working at The Beer Store is both labour intensive and customer service driven. With recent changes, it demands even more from their employees while giving back less. Being promoted is largely circumstantial and politics driven. Hard work is rarely rewarded and as a hard worker, I am unhappy giving my all to a company that does not recognize my abilities. Quite often, a positive attitude and strong work ethic is met by resistance from employees at all levels, which I believe to be a common factor in unionized environments.

As a whole, working at The Beer Store is great! They are flexible, there are occasional perks, and once promoted, the compensation is above average for retail.
Great Job to work while balancing school and athletics
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), St. Catharines, OntarioApril 14, 2015
Communicate regularly with customers to ensure satisfaction, resulting in receiving positive customer reviews and positive feedback from customer survey results
Great place to work, treat you fair, and dedicated to personal growth.
Retail Store Manager (Current Employee), Listowel, ONApril 1, 2015
Pros: Lots of support, team/family atmosphere, hours of operation, opportunity for growth, diverse extra responsibilities.
The Beer Store really focuses on personal growth and support. Gives you appropriate tools to promote success. Hours of sale are great for most locations and very interactive with your customers.
easy work days and good people to work with, people who are not in decent physical shape will find it challenging.
Temp.Part Time (Former Employee), Fort Erie, ONMarch 10, 2015
Pros: free lunches at times and a good work environment
Cons: irrational customers who tend to be a handful.
most of the work is fairly easy if you are of average fitness. a day includes working on the till loading the shelves and maintaining a clean store. management was friendly but stern when it mattered and always backed its workers appropriately. Co-workers were great easy going, friendly and willing to help customer or fellow employee. The job did not consist of many difficult areas. The most enjoyable part of the job was loading the shelves it included being active and carrying up to 40 pounds but this is usually the job of the senior employees.
Interesting
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Simcoe, ONMarch 1, 2015
I learned a lot in a short period of time but didn't get to really advanced her before I left. I got to learn about the different types of beer and distributers before I left along with the chance to balance safes and tills
good environment and really nice people to work with
Customer Sales (Current Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 18, 2015
the beer store was a fun place to work at where both the managers and fellow workers were relate able and shared similar interests. the environment was very friendly and the getting to know more about beer was interesting. sometimes it was difficult to deal with customers when rejecting intoxicated patrons who become very upset and aggressive.
fun place to work, not enough hours
Beer Store Clerk (Former Employee), Iroquois Falls, ONJanuary 29, 2015
liked working here. great people, liked the customer service as well as the job, no room for advancement in this small store in a small town. Needed a better pay and more hours, looking for more of a career choice.
The Beer Store and BDL
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: social gathering every thursday evening
The Beer Store and Brewers Distributor Limited is a high paced environment. High volume invoices with both companies over 20,000 invoices needed to be processed each month. I would ensure all invoices are validated with proper approval levels according to our policy and guidelines. Posted all batches entered into our accounting system. Posted all payment batches. Handle all levels of enquiries between management and vendors and customers effectively.
I learned to to be a team players, how to work and respect my co-workers and all levels of management.
I loved all of my co-workers, we are polite to each other and we are helpful to each other.
The love of my job made my job very enjoyable and looked forward everyday to do my work
The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that at the end of the day I have made a difference both with accomplishing my daily task and working with excellence people.
lot's of social interaction.
Cashier (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 7, 2015
the hardest part of job was being painfully aware of peoples dependencies of alcohol. Great job for students, permanent part time and full time positions are far more secure. Everyone buys beer just like being a garbageman, everyone needs garbage removed.
Good working Environment
COSTUMER REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee), 3561 Lawrence Avenue E. Scarborough, ON M1H 1B2January 7, 2015
Enjoyed working with my co-workers
Enjoyed helping customer fulling their needs
Awesome job to have.
Cashier (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 7, 2014
Pros: breaking bottles, staff, great atmosphere.
Cons: busy, low hours, empties, rude customers
Currently work at the Beer Store and I love my job. It's a love/hate, but it's easy to overcome the hate by breaking bottles in the back. Flexible schedules and great staff.
Great job working as an assembler for the beer store warehouse
Assembler (Former Employee), Whitby, ONNovember 24, 2014
Pros: very clear on work expectations and assigned duties
Cons: somewhat repetitive.
Work was never too demanding, Each day starts by being assigned a number of orders to be completed by the end of the work shift. The orders were always a reasonable amount and were never too much to handle. Great atmosphere as the management and workers were kind, helpful and all along good people.
The beer store
Customer Service (Former Employee), Barrie, OntarioOctober 30, 2014
Pros: great employer
Cons: low hours
Served customers with extremely excellent service.
problem solved, balanced daily floats.
loved working there great employees.
Productive and fun work place with great fellow employees, making an awesome team to be apart of.
Part Time Retail/Sales Clerk (Current Employee), Elliot Lake, ONOctober 15, 2014
I happily sign in at the beginning of my shift and start off by getting my point of sales station organized and ready to go whether it be on the bottle return side or the full good side. Always remembering to provide great quality customer service and maintaining a clean and organized environment through out the day, I follow safety hazard guidelines and make sure to work together as a team. At this location I learn something new everyday which I enjoy very much. I don't find anything hard about my job anymore but giving the physical strength this job requires it is a great work out challenge. the most enjoyable part of my job is being able to work with very cool and kind people every shift and being able to be apart of making a difference in recycling and fundraising for charities.
Fast paced environment with high volume customer traffic
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Orleans, ONOctober 6, 2014
Pros: great job atmosphere
Cons: summertime empty bottles returns
Point of sale customer service sales and bottle crushing entails most of the day with the odd joke thrown in. Team work is essential for every day operations to flow smoothly.

1 2 3