The Bargain! Shop Employee Reviews

management sucked. if you didnt suck up to her your hours got cut
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hudson Bay, SK10 April 2017
management was manipulative and two faced. District manager does nothing to help the situation. manager was biased about people younger than her and made that very clear. They refuse to give full time.
Pros
nothing besides the paycheque
Cons
backstabbing workers. useless district manager
productive workplace
certified keyholder / cashier (Current Employee) –  New Hamburg, ON31 March 2017
assisting customers / stocking shelves/ marking down prices on the products and checking expiry dates on the products. checking emails from DM / receiving
benefits
It was okay.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Deloraine, MB24 February 2017
I have to write 150 characters about a place I haven't worked at in like 10 years. Geez indeed really? I shouldn't have put down so many jobs. How many characters are left? Oh okay I get to stop writing now.
Disorganized, but good as a first job
Sales/Cashier/Stock (Former Employee) –  Haliburton, ON14 January 2017
Was my first official job and one of the only ones available to me in a small town. It was occasionally disorganized, but not a bad place to work overall
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Short shifts
Not worth the minimum wage
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Springhill, NS10 January 2017
I worked at a store as the only male. Was expected to do much more then job description. Was not paid for 3 holidays and although I continued to aproach manager and district team and proved I met labour standards to recieve pay, it was never recieved. My final straw for the company was our store furnace went for 2 weeks not working during a maritime cold snap. We called head office, store building owner and nothing was being done to correct it as if heat was not an important until our store manager took it upon herself to not open as all wimdows were completely covered on ice. The district and head office lost their minds for loss revenue instead of wondering why they themselves did not correct the situation.
Cons
Too many to list
Fun and interactive workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON1 October 2016
TB!S was one of my most enjoyable jobs. The people were amazing..at store level and head office. Very friendly environment all around. At the time there was room for advancement. Traveled to many stores to train others and do store set ups. All around great place.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Not so great pay.
it paid the bills....
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morrisburg, ON25 April 2016
typical day consisted of serving customers, rearranging merchandise, unpacking stock to put out on the sales floor. I learned better time management.
Fun and rewarding experience
General Labor (Former Employee) –  St. Stephen, NB30 April 2015
I worked at The Bargain! Shop as a temporary laborer for three weeks, helping renovate the store, as well as stock new shelves. The job was physically demanding, as one would expect, but it was a very good experience overall. The atmosphere was pleasant, the manager and all my co-workers were kind, and we all pulled our weight together.
Great opportunity to learn and grow
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON7 January 2015
Working for The Bargain! Shop provided me with a lot of opportunities to grow as a person and a manager.
The hard part was working with very minimal staff and still expected to get the job of 10 people done,
The staff made it fun to come to work.
Pros
attomy
Cons
no hours to run a store effectively
very dead
Cahier, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SK16 October 2014
was not too excited to work for hitler
loved the layout. loved the sales
Pros
employee discounts
Fairly easygoing workplace, great for scheduling
Associate (Former Employee) –  Petrolia, ON26 April 2014
Started out as a fair job. Typical work day involved serving customers as well as stocking shelves. Learned a lot about multitasking and time management. Co-workers were hit and miss. Some had a lot of negativity towards many of the others, so there were a lot of tense moments and a lot of favouritism. The job got harder as hours were cut by head office and we wouldn't have enough people working at a given time for certain jobs to be able to be finished before the end of the shift. For example, when I started working there would be one person working the cash, one person working on the floor and as a second cashier when needed, and a keyholder. However, when hours were cut, there was only the person at the register and a keyholder, the keyholder would essentially have to do enough work for two people on the floor as well as work as a second cashier. However, even when there were more hours, scheduling was very flexible and forgiving, if you needed a day off on short notice you could get it and they were also very patient with working around any other schedules.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Few hours
I met a lot of different and interesting people.
Office Associate/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Port Alberni, BC21 December 2013
On a typical day my duties included opening or closing the store, providing excellent customer service, preparing cash register floats, sorting and filing daily/weekly/monthly paperwork, preparing and delivering bank deposits, receiving purchase orders and processing vendor returns and store transfers using Microsoft Back Office Application, performing cash register transactions with accuracy, reconciling cash register totals with computer, managing my departments and maintaining planograms, preparing store for inventory, completing and forwarding the necessary year end paperwork.
As the #1 Keyholder associate I worked closely with management and would take care of day to day store operations when my manager was on vacation or sick leave. I was responsible for reading daily emails and passing tasks along to my co-workers.
The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting and getting to know a lot of different people customers and co-workers included. The hardest part of my job was when co-workers left town or went to work somewhere else.
Pros
Every second weekend off, benefits package.
Cons
Staff turnover.
company always looking for managers-enough said
manager (Former Employee) –  southwestern ontario25 November 2013
As a manager a typical day was 10 hours so when you factor in that it was a salaried job I wasn't making much more than minimum wage with all the reponsibilities. I learned that no matter what you do if they want to get rid of you they will. I have a hard time rating the company even a 1 star since the salary wasn't good, bonuses were taken away if you didn't have a good performance appraisal, upper management NEVER worked in a store (or it seemed that way), job security and advancement were for a very few and you were at work most of the time and on weekends so work/life balance didn't exsist.
Pros
great staff and customers made the long hours enjoyable
Cons
everything else
Wonderful
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oliver, BC17 July 2013
I had good hours and staff was friendly and fun to work with. When i work there it doesnt feel like work.
Pros
flexible hours, good pay, friendly staff, good hours
Cons
lack of things to do for cashiers
Extremely disorganized
Key holder (Current Employee) –  Alberta21 May 2013
It seems as though the ones at the top have never worked in an actual store. Which should be a requirement for upper level management. It all feels like make work projects from head office to individual stores. Since the CCAA filing in Feb, it also feels like the people at the top are the only ones that matter, not the little people that actually open the stores on a daily basis. My manager is great as are my co-workers. That will be about the only thing I would miss if and when I leave this company.
Pros
Great co-workers, very accommodating of my messed up schedule
Cons
Lack of proper upper level management
Probably one of the most disorganized company I have worked for
Ops (Current Employee) –  Toronto17 April 2013
If you seek a company that excels at communication then TBS is not for you. In all aspects of the above rating system I found it hard to even rate them with one star. If you are currently looking at any postings available here, please do your research into the company but please remember that the storys you read will be painted over to make the company be good....Not a disgruntled employee just an honest one
Good retail job
Part-time Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Wingham, ON3 April 2013
There were ups and downs when I was with this company. I experienced good management, but I also experienced not so great management, but I learned a lot from it. I got to work with a lot of great people and I made many new friends. The Bargain Shop is a very enthusiastic, but busy environment. It's always fun and if you enjoy interacting with people, this is a great job. Something must have went right because I was there for three years.
cashier at the Bargain Shop
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Exeter, ON18 March 2013
typical day...working at cash
...stocking shelves and pricing items
....customer service
.... keeping store neat and tidy
... responsible for health and safety
....sometimes working with co-op student
got along fine with co-workers and management
hardest part of job was remembering to check BBE on products
most enjoyable was dealing with the consumers
learned computer skills...patience...tact...how to deal with difficult situations properly
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
working weekends and holidays
Great enviroment. Face paced enviroment. Customer oriented
Manager (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON17 March 2013
The Bargain! Shop has always been a wonderful, challenging job. I love the customers. I enjoy teaching and coaching associates.
Pros
leading the team to success, customer focus
Cons
store closing
Productive, Fun, Good Environment, Good Core Values
Treasury Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, Ontario, Canada9 March 2013
A very good place to work. I worked with stores, managers and CFO/CIO. Management was very nice and understanding.

The hardest part of the job was sometime not getting answers from co-workers on a timely manner, in order to complete a task at hand.

I really liked working at The Bargain! Shop Holdings Inc. Since they have gone into Bankruptcy protection my job was no longer available once I was to return from maternity leave.
Pros
lots of fun social activities, good employees, good managers
Cons
no bad issues..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Bargain! Shop. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5