The Active Network

The Active Network Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Inspirational Company, but acquired business unit was not a good fit
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee), Avon, COOctober 10, 2014
Pros: flexible, exercise, products
Cons: business unit leadership
The Active Network has an incredible mix of products and people that have made the company a success. I joined their team via an acquisition and unfortunately the line of business I was a part of did not align tightly with the rest of the organization. Investments to the product, employees and customers have not been made.

My customers were the most – more... incredible aspect of my experience at The Active Network. Many of the relationships I had spanned 10+ years and I believe my customers know I did my best every single day. – less
Great people
Online Account Manager (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 28, 2014
Pros: work/life balance, great colleagues
Cons: many changes in leadership over six years
I've been lucky to have worked with talented group of fun and hard working people over the past six years. These colleagues make this company such a great place to work at.
In a state of change, but heading in the right direction
Sales (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 8, 2014
Pros: the people, the vision, career opportunity
Cons: product needs updating, internal company communication is lacking, processes can drudge down company time
company is going through a constant state of change after acquisition. However, key management is up and coming with the right tools and planning to make the new company vision work.
ACTIVE started out so promising... what happened?
Sales, SMB (Current Employee), Broomfield, COMarch 25, 2014
Pros: amazing co-workers & great health benefits. the activex exercise program was wonderful..
Cons: inadequate crm, plethora of customer service issues, product bugs, upper management is clueless, poor work/life balance, unethical behavior on the sales teams.
The only consistent metric over the past 6-months is the requirement to make 50 outbound sales calls daily with a CRM instance that is completely inadequate. The sales staff has no way to determine who is or is not a customer.

I've learned that "hope" and health benefits is the only thing keeping me with this company.

Upper management is silo'd and – more... has no idea what is going on with the product, customer satisfaction or operations.

Mid-management did a great job hiring, because my co-workers are FANTASTIC! Really talented group, but leaving quickly.

The hardest part about my job is trying to support a product that is deteriorating and using a CRM instance that is useless.

The most enjoyable part about my job is talking to customers who are still excited about the product and haven't been affected by product bugs (yet). – less
Not the ideal spot
Engineer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 22, 2014
Nobody at this company has a sense of other people's time, especially management. No work/life balance and it's all about "what have you done for me lately" no matter how much work you put in.

There is management by fear here and speaking out about it does nothing. Active had a great culture when I started but that is slowly being killed by management. – more... Do not go here if you can avoid it. – less
Active is a bad investment
Product Manager (Current Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: great physical facility
Cons: no appreciate for work done well in spite of the roadblocks created by the management team
Work life balance is off the rails 10-14 hour days especially with everything moving to China. Worst management team especially those from Monster, that name fits, manage by fear/intimidation old school factory thinking not worthy of a supposed technology firm.

I enjoyed the products, the sports environment and the folks that got things done.

I had – more... reaffirmed that there are great people to learn from in every company and found some. I also saw first hand how people get promoted/put into positions they can't handle professionally or emotionally.

Hardest part of the job is constant A.D.D. of "leadership" team. Even more so watching talented enthusiastic people get beaten down within months. Such a waste of time, talent and potential. Sad really. – less
All in all a great place to work
Account Executive (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: great compensation
Cons: lack of structure
Great place to work, superior leadership and sales coaching.
The culture is what made this place great - but its changing...
sales (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: activex
Cons: constant changes, bad technology investment/development
ACTIVE has always been about work/life balance however many of the founders that held that as a core value have left and the new management doesn't seem to value this as much. That said, pay is not great but when the atmosphere is at its best, employees see past it.
A great place to work!
Inbound Response/Lead Generation Manager (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 7, 2014
ACTIVE has been great to work at, and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The sales team is very metric driven, and always has their eye on the bottom line. It is promoted to go after deals that "make sense" rather than trying to put a round peg in a square hole.
fun, friendly work environment
Media Marketing Intern (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 6, 2014
fun work environment
supportive staff
great learning experience
Simple Work For Unprofessional Management
Client Application Specialist (Former Employee), Carmel, INDecember 8, 2013
Pros: easy
Cons: repetitive, lacking management
This was a typical phone support tech job: a daily grind consisting of responding to emails and answering calls relating to software issues on the client's part. It's a middle man position that is mainly in charge of continued education for clients--actual software related fixes are passed to another team. Immediate team was capable and easy-going.

The – more... managers for this role seemed incompetent at their jobs. Did not inform their employees of work quality or issues that may arise. This created severe problems. – less
Ok position
RESERVATION AGENT (Current Employee), Work at homeNovember 19, 2013
Pros: work at home
Easy position
Dealing with mean people over the phone.
Repetitive work.
Productive and Free Spirited Workplace
Program Manager - Wellness (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 11, 2013
- flexible work hours
- promotes and encourages an active lifestyle
Worst company on the face of the planet.
Some IT Guy (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJune 5, 2013
Pros: no
Cons: everything
If you're looking for a job, I would not walk but RUN AWAY from Active Network. From the top down, this company is in a state of utter disrepair. Management has no idea what they are doing, their infrastructure is the laughing stock of services company and most of their employees hate not just the management but the company as a whole.
Not Much Pay
Work-At-Home Call Agent (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 10, 2013
Pros: easy job
Cons: low pay
Pay was very low, but as far as expectations, they were not high. They tried to get upsell into this, but it is not a realistic incentive.
Strong compensation and culture derided by poor management
Account Executive, Strategic Alliances (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 9, 2013
Active provided it's employees with great compensation and benefits packages, as well as many opportunties for self improvement through career training and outside health/wellness services

However it suffered from high turnover, lack of overall direction and management oversight.
Accounting department (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 11, 2013
Pros: trainers
Cons: management is not friendly
It's a very laid back company. No much advancement but if you do a good job you can pretty much stay here until you retire.

Upper management is not very friendly but you can survive.
Nastiest place ive ever worked
OPM rep (Former Employee), Frostburg, mdJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: benefits are decent but expensive
Cons: everything
I worked at the one in frostburg md for many years. From management on down this place is horrible. No job security and one of the highest turn over rates in this area. Low paying, hours suck. I cantt say anything positive about this company at all. Pathetic!!
Fun, sports related publically traded company
Senior Account Executive & Senior Account Manager (Current Employee), Bothell, WANovember 28, 2012
Pros: benefits, relaxed office environment.
Cons: inconsistent compensation plans for sales reps
Typical Day: Make sales calls to directors from around 8am - 2pm. Prospect more leads to finish the day. Keep track of everything in CRM system.

I've Learned: SaaS systems how they operate. Effective B2B Sales closing Techniques, How to breakthrough Gatekeepers, Resolving Contract negotiations, How to work smarter and not harder.

Management: Started – more... off excellent before company went public. Currently management doesn't seem to be on the same page as the sales team on a number of fronts: Announcements, Compensation, Turnover are the biggest.

Co-Workers: They are great! Really have enjoyed working with everyone there. Everyone for the most part is active and loves sports.

Hardest Part of the Job: Working thru difficult contracts.

Most Enjoyable: Working with people in the sports industry – less
Great Culture, but Low Pay
Software Consultant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 28, 2012
Could create my own work schedule, but they did not really promote based on skill it was based on who management was friends with.

April 12, 2012

I feel like every company only promotes based on who management is friends with... there is a trust factor and that is every company :)

November 17, 2012

I like the statement in the post "management who was friends with" that is a known factor, this is why I run my own business, if I'm going to kiss-up to anyone, I will kiss-up to my clients/customers. This is what people told me, which I was too old no one wanted me, well, "they" will take the "who you know" before someone with the qualifications and education any day. So with all "that" going on, your own business is the way to go:>). The situation is about "how much" bottom line. So with my small shop analogy I will undercut all the big gurus out there.

About The Active Network

The Active Network delivers integrated technology solutions, marketing services and online media properties that enable and encourage – Read more