Tesla Motors Employee Reviews

Work hard, minimal pay
Detailer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 October 2017
I was let go "fired" for being a student worked full-time during the summer +45 hours a week. Started school in the fall and was only available 3 days a week. They fired me because I didn't work enough hours. This company has a messed up work ethic. In the end 13 people where fired at one location. I don't recommend working for Elon Musk. Unless you are a workaholic.
Pros
Title
Cons
Long hours, bad management, ego filled boss, employees
You have to drink the Kool Aid
Technician (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 October 2017
Touts “Radical Entrepreneurship” as justification for a lot of poorly thought out strategies and very bad decisions. These bad decisions impact your life as an employee and also result in a very poor quality of the product. I lost several good teammates last week to a mass layoff disguised as performance reviews. I have a year until my shares are vested, assuming I survive the next performance review. Take the job only if you are willing to drink the Kool Aid.
People don't quit companies...they quit management.
Owner Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 August 2017
Lured in by the grandeur of working for a company that is "changing the world". They are no different than any other company so don't be fooled. Elon.
Was fun to work in team
Line Crew (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 July 2017
Consider a good team and th job is pretty fun. Learn a lot every, but only few people can advance on this team. A lot of privilege like free theater show, music show, artist show
Pros
Free show
Cons
Night shift job
Great Company
Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 October 2016
So much room for growth. Management is with you every step of the way. Great benefits if working full time. Intelligent staff. Fun work environment.
Productive and fun working place
Sr. Payroll /Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 April 2016
I did not work for Tesla Motors, I worked for Tesla Exploration Ltd. Great employees, fun atmosphere, company is loyal to employees. Can wear blue jeans everyday, not that we did.
Pros
Accountability
Cons
Down turn in the Oil & Gas industry
Terrible place to work
helpless (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 February 2016
No management
no communication
treat employees like slaves
no chance for advancement
no that oil is worth little, their only positive was they had a product in demand. No its not and the complete lack of management skills shows more.
Pros
Cons
just about everything
Best Job Ever
Intern Engineer (Former Employee) –  Frémont, QC15 January 2016
You do meaningful work. Crazy hours but you don't mind. Almost everyone in management is there because they deserve it and seems like everyone around you is a genius.
Great Company to work for.
intern (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 January 2016
I was an intern there and got to learn a lot from the best in the industry. Very smart people using the best processes in the world.
Awesome company to work for.
Operational Excellence Intern (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CA21 November 2015
Really enjoyed my time as an intern. Supportive mentors and extremely smart individuals. Free pop corn on Wednesdays.
Not my favorite
309A Apprentice (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON9 November 2015
Not my idea of a good work environment. angry managers, hostile owner, and marginalized staff... would not recommend working for them if you could avoid it,
Working for Tesla there is a motto...
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, On25 October 2015
That motto is T E S L A, Takes Every Single Love Affair.

The hours are very long, the pay is very low for a company that is touted as a premium brand and there is no such thing as a work life balance. The mandate for a technician is that every vehicle must be back on the road within a 24 hour time period. Tesla has a metric measuring one day turnaround. This is great for the customer. Terrible for a shop, what if parts supply falls short, what if tools break, what if my shift ends. Tesla doesn't like people working overtime because it raises overhead. This applies to raises as well, a one percent raise is not even cost of living increase. Giving shares that require 4 years of vesting is given. However that is taken away from you if you quit or are let go as they haven't vested yet, regardless of the fact that those were your bonus.
Pros
Amazing people to work with in the shop
Cons
No work life balance
Productive and fun work!!!
Staging Hand (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2015
I really enjoyed working with Tesla Exploration. They were a great company to work for.
Every morning we had to attend safety meetings before starting work, to learn about our job responsibilities for the day.
We drove to the worksite and started our day. most days I would run the roller, stagehand and do general labour.
The hardest part of the job was working with the weather conditions.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a great crew, completing our work to the best of our abilities each day.
Fun workplace
Delivery Orientation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 August 2015
We are changing the world and the way people perceive cars. You have to be committed and believe that what we are working on is possible.
Pros
Driving the best car in the world
Cons
Good
Intern and Web Designer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON1 January 2015
Good, good, good.Excellent staff. Great management. It's great.
Employé a contrat
RECORDING CREW HELPER – LINE TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 December 2014
Travail toujours sécuritaire et ambiance agréable

Moi j'ai eu une expérience de travail super enrichissante et productive. Nous partons pour travailler fort mais toujours avec sécurité. Une super belle organisation et des équipe le fun à travailler. bien aimé mon expérience.
Pros
Hebergement, dejeuner, allocation, belle gang, travaillant
Camp/ hotel
LABOURER (Former Employee) –  alberta14 June 2013
This job I didn't mind it was hard work in time where you had to walk threw maybe 4 feet snow with a 50lb cable around your neck or in your arms. The guys were awesome to work with and all round its was fun but hard in times. Worste part was it was cold for the most part -25-35 all the time.
good place to work
Line Crew (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 June 2013
i enjoyed my time there, people were nice and work was hard and i enjoy hard work
fun work
line crew (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 January 2013
it was a good place to work staff is fare
and i fould it all right place to work
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Fun nature walk all day.
Recorders Helper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 December 2012
I liked it because of the travel and work outs a person gets from doing seismic.
Pros
long hours and outdoors all day long.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesla Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9