Tesco

Tesco Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
goood
Worker (Former Employee), London, ENGDecember 2, 2014
I have always had good luck on a good team and good management
Very repetitive work
Till operator (Former Employee), Barnstaple, ENGDecember 2, 2014
I worked here as a winter job, i found the work on the tills to be fairly uninspiring. Its one of those job that you can feel yourself age when you are finished work for the day - its by far the easiest job i have done but by far the least satisfying.
good work place
Night Crew Manager, Trainee Manager, Night Packer (Former Employee), Newbridge, KEDecember 2, 2014
Pros: cheap lunches, seaeonel partys
Cons: hours, lack of training
very east to work for and I enjoyed most of my time their and the team was good.
Fun, productive place to work
General Assistant (Current Employee), KilmarnockDecember 2, 2014
Pros: staff benefits
Cons: part time hours
I work night shift in Tesco as a general assistant for Price Integrity. My job entails changing point of sale and changing price labels. Price increases must be completed before start of trade at 6am to make the store legal for trade. This makes some shifts very challenging as some nights such as promotion change nights there can be as many as 2500 – more... legal labels to be scanned and put out on the shelves. I prefer nights like this as I like a challenge. The shift also goes by quicker when I am busier. I also have some great co workers who are team players and fun to work with. As the store is closed at night the manager puts on the radio and we also have a laugh and a joke which helps keep morale up. – less
decent job ok wages
Customer service assistant/ Cashier (Former Employee), londonDecember 1, 2014
Pros: discount on products
Cons: long hours
long hours alot of standing invoved
overtime if needed
decent company
Hard-Working
Customer Assistant in Staffroom (Current Employee), Stevenage, ENGDecember 1, 2014
Cons: i have a 12 hour gap, from when i finish work at 7pm on a saturday, i am back in at 7am on sunday morning.
It's nice to work in a busy environment as there is always work to be getting on with.
Cleaning is an on going job. Get given job to complete.
Serving, cooking and preparing food for majority of the day.
tesco
tesco (Current Employee), Coventry, ENGNovember 30, 2014
its a OK company to work for the pay inst the best they way they treat there staff inst the best that's the real reason i'm looking to get out.
productive workplace
Customer Assistant (Now Bakery) Part-time (Current Employee), Tesco Extra WhitstableNovember 29, 2014
my typical day go in, get setup, work stock do reductions 3 times a day and make sure the deparment is swept all that days date are found and make sure waste is cleared in preparation for the days ahead.

i've learned a fair amount in my time at tesco what it takes to be efficient and brilliant in working with a team to make sure that your deparment – more... does its job and reaches its goals and targets set each and every week and ive learned to be more confident in myself and with others and to really try and help myself and others to understand aspects of the job and what the company wants.

my co-workers are very hard working and good people who can be serious and get the job done but also know to have the laughs and the good spirit to keep it a happy working environment.

the hardest part of the job would have to be doing other things for other departments when you are alone on certain days and trying to do all of your work plus others and sometimes in a retail environment its just not possible or plausible so i would say thats the hardest part.

the most enjoyable part is working as a team and having a good bunch of people around the place and that feeling of accomplishment when you achieve something together be it small or big it makes you feel great, so i'd say that is the most enjoyable part of the job. – less
Manage Store
Store Manager (Former Employee), London, ENGNovember 28, 2014
Mange KPI's
Manage Duty managers and staff
Improve Customer service skills
Average workplace
Cashier (Current Employee), TwickenhamNovember 27, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: too many
When i hear the word 'Tesco' alot of emotions come into my mind. some of them good and some of them bad. There is no straight forward way of saying this. You can say the only reason i have held on for so long is because of financial reasons. i have developed many skills as a part time cashier, but i feel like its time to apply my skills elsewhere. It – more... is a great place to work as a part time job- meeting new faces, building a rapport with customers and seeing the friendly regular customers on a weekly basis. A typical day at work requires your full attention, as you are dealing with money the whole time you are there. You are liable if there is a till shortage of money which is why it is important you know what you are dealing with. The most enjoyable part of the day is looking at the time and knowing it's your time to go home. My co-workers are lovely people to work with, except the management who think they are on a whole new level to us. No friendly faces, always busy and never making time to deal with your problems or if you feel like you need to be heard, basically your average stereotypical boss who you have no choice but to put up with. It has come to a point where i wake up in the mornings wondering if it's really worth going in for, but like i said, it's financial reasons which make me get out of bed every day and go into work. it's a job i see no future with. thinking about being there this time next year haunts me. There's no other way i can say it. It's a place where you don't know how long you can put up with before you feel like you will explode. It's been 3 years since i've been working for the company and i have met people who have been working there long before i was even born. it's time i find myself another job, in which i will feel like my work is being appreciated rather then ending up being there longer than i can ever imagine. – less
fun but stressful job
Personal Shopper (Former Employee), London, ENGNovember 27, 2014
Pros: staff shop
Cons: chiller cold
very little time to get what you need to do, had fun most of the time and miss the place, would recommend
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee), Harlow, ENGNovember 26, 2014
Pros: great pay
Always busy, assisting others,. Enjoyed it. Can't work there anymore as they moved distribution to another part of the country
learn and go
customer Assistant (Former Employee), edinburghNovember 26, 2014
Pros: other benefit
Cons: long hour
done work intime
finishing works importent
dealing with customer with patience
learn everyday with customer
Comparable to life as cattle.
Deli, Checkout, PFS... (Former Employee), BicesterNovember 26, 2014
Pros: friendly colleagues and coworkers, equal opportunities, generous wage, cheap cooked lunches for staff, 10% staff discount given after 6 months, strong union presence.
Cons: useless management, extremely high workload, holiday is extremely hard to come by, unsociable hours, made to do jobs you aren't trained to handle.
The typical day in Tesco involved picking up the mess left behind by the colleagues you were relieving. By the time you'd set yourself up properly; you were an hour behind on your work. However, if you just got on and left the previous persons mess then *you* are penalized, NOT the person responsible.

Management see such a high turnover of staff that – more... you become a number, rather than a name. Unless you have been working for Tesco for more than 5 years you were seen as temporary. I, personally, did not even see my contract until I had passed the probation period of 6 months. This was due to "the companies rights to protect internal resources". After three years of employment, I learned to see through the thinly veiled lies they hurled at me 24/7.

They did not respect my personal life at any time. During my employment I had an organ removed. Their first question was for an estimated date that I was able to return. It was very clear they wanted to sack me as soon as I was sick. It made me feel like a criminal!

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the managers. I can fully appreciate the delegation of duty as it is a vital part of their role as a manager. However; they gave ALL their duties out to people who were not able to handle it so they could sit in the "Confidential Office" and pretend to be busy. As a result; everyone was too busy to help each other because they were doing jobs they weren't trained to do.

Unfortunately; the bad vastly outweighed the good. The staff who weren't in senior managerial roles were lovely. If you managed to find a manager who cared about your issues then you found yourself clinging to them as their they were a winning lottery ticket. The customers, especially the ex-retail staff and regular customers, were always friendly, chatty and very pleasant. However, a five minute chat with a customer, even if trying to make a sale, was met with a 25 minute 'informal' meeting about wasting company time.

Disclosure: The review above was my personal experiences at a single Tesco over a 3 year period of part time and full time employed on varying shift patterns with a range of responsibilities. I know several people at different stores who are very satisfied with their employers and enjoy work.

Advice: Learn your contract as though it were your death warrant. Join the union immediately and stand up for yourself. Tesco has such a high turnover of staff these days that until you prove you are there to stay they really won't care about you, your life or needs. – less
shelf-stacker (Former Employee), Szeged, CSNovember 24, 2014
I worked there as a student so it was a part-time job. My task was to put the goods to the selves and sometimes the cleaning. I think that the company should employ more empleyee because too much tasks belong to one worker.
Good company to work
Customer Advisor (Former Employee), Bristol, ENGNovember 24, 2014
Some days are better than the others. Target based but good support and team work
fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Current Employee), London, ENGNovember 24, 2014
it was good fun to work at tescos sometimes but it can be hard work
Friendly, helpful fun place to work
Shop floor assistant (Former Employee), Launceston, ENGNovember 24, 2014
Pros: on occasions we would get a free buffet.
I worked part time 22 hours per week. I came in and restocked my section. Helped out in the warehouse loading and unloading vans. Helped customers with their shopping. Collected all cardboard off of the shop floor and loaded on cages and then disposed of it. Helped out on other sections when needed.

I learned how to organise my section. How to deliver – more... the best customer service. How to work as a team. How to also work alone.

I found everyone very friendly and helpful. I got on with all the staff and management.

I did not find anything hard but i never went on the tills and i know i would struggle with this.

Everyday was enjoyable. I loved working with all my colleagues and i loved my job. – less
Fun workplace
Customer service assistant (Current Employee), Milton KeynesNovember 23, 2014
Pros: /
Cons: short break
The staff are lovely
The boss is very miserable
I love the customers and the job
Productive dynamic workplace
Cashier/Shop Assistant (Current Employee), St. HelensNovember 21, 2014
Pros: overtime is always available
Cons: split shifts across different departments
A typical day at work consists of starting at 5pm and doing 'Job 14', a task which involves checking stock on various departments and removing items that are on the current date along with scanning items and quantities of them for tomorrows review. Due to the departments we have to cover on this job it takes most of the shift, with us often having to – more... reduce items that are on todays date in order for them to sell and therefore reduce waste for the store.
I've been taught how to check stock and reports on the computer, along with being highly competent in using the tools required for my job, such as a PDA.
I work closely with my team members, with there being at least 2 of us on a shift which has increased my teamwork and communication skills. – less

About Tesco

Tesco, the world's fourth-largest grocery retailer and the UK's biggest retailer, runs over 5,000 stores in the UK. Its operations – Read more