Tesco
2,012 reviews

Tesco Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun and challenging.
Frozen Department/Customer assistant (Former Employee), Enfield, ENGAugust 25, 2014
Pros: long breaks, personal dinner lady.
Cons: few warnings, highly stict.
While working for Tesco I came across many problems with management as I was working in a small store. But we all pulled together and made it better for our customers.
Security in your job
General Assistant (Current Employee), Lowestoft, ENGAugust 24, 2014
Able to work your way up the ladder if you want and the pay is very good
Cashier (Former Employee), londonAugust 23, 2014
My typical day routine would be mainly cashier as well as stocking products.I learned how to speak and behave towards different customers as well as working under pressure and sorting out problems with customers. The co-workers were supportive and friendly.
a fun and friendly place
Sales Assistant (checkout) (Former Employee), lutonAugust 22, 2014
i enjoyed working with people, i found it easy to learn things eg working on the till, serving customers.
Great for job security and paying the bills.
Customer Assistant (Current Employee), SouthamptonAugust 22, 2014
Pros: job security, friendly co-workers and suitable to pay bills.
Cons: lack of additional or full time hours, large turnaround of staff, lack of staff on certain departments is a general worry also
Tesco is a good place to gain retail experience if you want to become a manager.

A typical day involves, working on bread and cakes, replenishing stock, recording waste and transfers out to suppliers and other important stock control duties. Often i will be moved to other departments to help, which i don't mind as we all work as one team. I learn various – more... things, how to provide great customer service and how to deliver it on a daily basis with a smile.

Management is mostly good, I am often treated with respect and so treat them with respect in return. I enjoy working with my co-workers as it is important to have a good social work life and they enjoy my company. The hardest part of my job is nothing really, i've worked at tesco for 7 years and fully understand my responsibilities and can carry out my work as an individual or as a member of a team.

The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with customers and making sure they can find what they need and putting a smile on their faces. – less
Great Working Environment
Customer Services (Former Employee), BrighouseAugust 21, 2014
In the 5 days I worked at Tesco I learnt a lot about the working industry while how to deal with customer queries.
fun workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee), Sunderland, ENGAugust 21, 2014
Pros: two breaks
Cons: worked weekends
hard but time went fast enjoyed working nights got treated with respect
Close to were i live
Delicatessen Assistant, Union rep (Former Employee), Billingham, ENGAugust 21, 2014
Pros: near to were i live
Cons: night shift work
The staff were friendly and fun to work with and hours were perfect as I had young children
Fantastic company where an individual can work their way up
Customer Services Manager (Current Employee), Warrington, CheshireAugust 21, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: long hours
Process based company where routine is combined with variety. People are certainly the greatest asset and will always deliver on the proviso shared beliefs and objectives are at the forefront.
Good rates of pay
Customer Assistant - Counters (Current Employee), Stow on the WoldAugust 20, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: frequently short staffed
Tesco pays very well for what we do but we aren't always treated with respect, although we are expected to give it. Things quite often seem out of hand and we are expected to do the job of 3 people on a daily basis as we are frequently short staffed considering the amount of custom we get on a day to day basis. Management could be better but a few of – more... the managers do hear us out on our concerns of we address them. – less
meeting different people
Stock Controller (Former Employee), Larkfield, ENGAugust 20, 2014
Pros: discount card and shares
Cons: work late hour
sorting stock
making sure products are correct
working as a team
making sure stock is correct on shelf's
working with the public
A great company to work for.
General Assistant, Hardlines (Current Employee), Stourbridge, ENGAugust 19, 2014
A typical day at work at Tesco goes like this:
I arrive at work and clock in. I then have to find my team leader or manager to announce my presence and to find out my list of jobs for the day. Sometimes midday I am checkout relief, so I will hop on a till and serve customers until im no longer needed. Then carrying on with my list of jobs (either pulling – more... out back stock cages and replenishing those or working on labels for the home and health department making sure they are the correct size and in the correct location on the shelf) until my shift is over.
Tesco is a great place to work for, I've made some fantastic friends and learned a great deal. To be honest I don't have a particularly hard part of my job. I've been taught all the necessary skills I need to complete my job. The management team are all really approachable and helpful and my co-workers are always on the ball. I can count on them to do their jobs properly. my most enjoyable part of the job is working with friends, I get on well with my colleagues and thats a great part of the job. – less
fast paced work place
Cafe Assistant (Former Employee), Edinburgh, SCTAugust 19, 2014
a typical day in the tesco cafe, was very fast paced, making sure tables where clean, cooking of food, taking food temperatures, record keeping.

Here i leaned food hygiene was most important and the greeting of customers

my co-workers where very friendly

hardest part of the job was the very fast pace in which the cafe worked.

the most enjoyable – more... part of the job was alost the hardest and that was the fast pace. – less
Fantastic team
General Assistant (Former Employee), DudleyAugust 19, 2014
Pros: staff discount, pension and holidays
Cons: long days
Helping provide a positive experience for all customers
I learnt new skills across a wide range of departments including Options, Produce and Deli
Great teams, worked well together in absence of management, all team members knew their roles and what work needed to be done
Really enjoyed my training
Trainee Manager (Former Employee), Bathgate, SCTAugust 19, 2014
Overseeing all supervisors to ensure performance was where it needed to be.
Making up shift rota's
Attending and carrying out management meetings
productive and very social place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee), Newbury, ENGAugust 18, 2014
Pros: subsidised canteen, pool table
Cons: long hours
A typical day at work would be to sit on a checkout for nine hours and think about what your customers needs are, as every customer is different.
Ive learned the different types of customer and what type of shopper they are. I usually have quite a nice set of customers during my shift that come to me for excellent customer service.
Im currently learning – more... a bit about team leading and running the checkouts to improve my skills.
The hardest part of my job was speaking to my customers with a stammer, but usually overcome the fear soon enough.
The most enjoyable part of my job is coming into work and socialising with the customers. – less
Boaring and repeadative
Trolley Assistant (Former Employee), Cumbernauld, SCTAugust 18, 2014
Pros: cheap lunches
Cons: impaitent customers
transferring trolleys from the bays to the front of the shop. How to move the trolleys safely. Never really dealt with management. Didn't get much time to get to know colleges. The hardest part of the job was impatient customers.
it was fun to work at the time
Customer Services Assistant (Former Employee), London, ENGAugust 16, 2014
when you got a costumer coming back saying the product didn't work but then they say costumers always right !!
then you do the best for that costumer to deal with the product to replace new one..

what i learned was when a costumer was upset about there product you know how to deal with the costumer how to make things get fix..

management. was good – more... he learned me a though things..

my team workers was as good a robert dyers team..

always on my feet ain't got one really when you enjoy work thats it..

the enjoyable about work is seeing people everyday and seeing to costumers i love it when i put that smile on the costumers face when they walk out the door.. – less
poor management
Cashier (Former Employee), Prescot, ENGAugust 15, 2014
managers where over stretched and had to do smaller tasks like stack shelves rather than look after there department because of the lack of staff. this left some departments indecisive and not running efficiently. there was more evidence of lack of staff as the Internet shopping department had to work as over time everyday with managers and other departments – more... contributing in order to get the orders complete. – less
Good for Senior management, not for starters
Officer (Former Employee), Bangalore, KAAugust 15, 2014
Freshers and starters need to stay away from here and find more competitive environment to work in.

About Tesco

Tesco, the world's fourth-largest grocery retailer and the UK's biggest retailer, runs over 5,000 stores in the UK. Its operations – Read more