Tesco
2,262 reviews

Tesco Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Traveled a lot which was great.
Top Drive Technician - Rental Division (Former Employee), Leduc, ABOctober 7, 2014
Pros: well looked after on a lot of things
Cons: pay first and get reimbursed.
Field work was nice and traveled outside Canada to U.S and Russia. Those experiences were great
Good work balance and flexible hours
Service team leader (Former Employee), London UKMay 25, 2014
Pros: good training, career development and free food
Cons: long hours
Managing co-workers at the front end of the store environment and making it a pleasant experience for customers.

Team work , problem solving skills, customer relationship management and communication skills.

Management were approachable

My co- workers support each other.

The hardest part of the job was working long hours

The most enjoyable part – more... of the job was putting a smile on customer's face and achieving sales target. – less
Sold out to the Americans and then sold off potential future money making key assets.... Sad!
Technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 15, 2014
Pros: given creative freedom to achieve the required work result.
Cons: peers trying to take over your projects because of their lack of capabilities and competence
I was given the creative freedom to achieve what was required while working Top Drives, Casing Running and Casing Drilling Downhole Tools. Travelling abroad with Tesco was great and well organized. The sad part is having peers who their only mission is to get a bonus at the end of the year at all costs. When you are the one working for it and they do – more... nothing then openly tell you that several times to your face... – less
Never a dull day at work
General Accountant (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMay 7, 2014
Work at the office was never dull. The work was entertaining although the work environment was somewhat dull.
Overall good company, hard to keep managment, and office staff, everyone always changing position, quitting or getting fired.
Tonghand (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABApril 12, 2014
Lackinging certain characteristics as a company, to big of a corporation attitude for what should be looked after as a small bussiness attitude, wheres as the employees are treatded more important, after all it really is the hands that make a Tong company.
Great Company
Document Controller (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 15, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
• Skilled in all aspects of recording transactions, posting cash receipts, reconciling accounts, and ensuring accuracy and completeness of data.
• Managed Accounts Receivable, monthly statements for clients, monthly reconciliation of sub ledger / general ledger, prepared bank deposits and cash receipts, monthly reporting to finance manager.
• Reconciled – more... various G/L accounts, G/L entries, month end process. – less
Fun workplace
Checkout Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee), Aberdeen, SCTMay 30, 2013
Pros: salary which more compare to other supermarket in uk
Cons: no
Tesco was great place to work and it was very fun work place. But same time tesco provide best customer service and for it always keep their employees happy with competitive salary and other benefits.
Productive, learned new challenges
Technical Writer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2013
Cons: long hours
At Tesco for 6 years, working for 4 years in Accounts Payable and then was given an opportunity to move to another position as a Technical Writer. I learned to use Framemaker, Illustrator, Photoshop, as well as learning Sharepoint 2010, on my own.
The hardest part of my job as a Technical Writer was the self learning I had to do, however I enjoyed that – more... at the same time because I love to learn and research, given the time.
I was the volunteer coordinator for Meals on Wheels with Tesco, handling the scheduling and paperwork for Tesco's corporate responsibility of volunteering. – less
productive friendly atmosphere
teamleader (Current Employee), pembroke dock south walesFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: shares in company
Cons: no overtime
2 a.m. start review what is on production planner for that day.begin production approx 3hours.we all work as part of a team,there are 9 of us all together .the hardest part of the job is long hours and the early starts.
Excellent and great team to work with as well as great benefits
Inventory Associate (Current Employee), Calgary ABJanuary 9, 2013
Excellent and great team to work with as well as great benefits
Challenging place to work
OOH - Grocery Manager (Current Employee), Essex ENGJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: wage rate
Cons: long break waste of time
Wage rate is good. unpaid long break is negative point.
challenging work place. You have got to work hard to achieve your targets.
Customer Assistant (Current Employee), Aberdeen, SKDecember 2, 2012
Cons: can be bit repetitive at times
It is a good place to work as it allows for flexible working hours for students and encourages interaction with other co - workers aswell as customers where you learn about all new different cultures and personalities that can be put together.
Productive work place.
Cost Analyst (Former Employee), CalgaryNovember 19, 2012
Busy typical day at work. Learnt about manufacturing and Great Plains software. Good management and fun place with co-workers. The hardest part of the job was year end inventory, staying long hours but at the same time the most enjoyable part of the job and created more sense of team spirit within co-workers.
Great equipment
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABJuly 28, 2012
Great Equipment
Great People but trying to grow too fast
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee), Harlow, ENGNovember 26, 2014
Pros: great pay
Always busy, assisting others,. Enjoyed it. Can't work there anymore as they moved distribution to another part of the country
learn and go
customer Assistant (Former Employee), edinburghNovember 26, 2014
Pros: other benefit
Cons: long hour
done work intime
finishing works importent
dealing with customer with patience
learn everyday with customer
Comparable to life as cattle.
Deli, Checkout, PFS... (Former Employee), BicesterNovember 26, 2014
Pros: friendly colleagues and coworkers, equal opportunities, generous wage, cheap cooked lunches for staff, 10% staff discount given after 6 months, strong union presence.
Cons: useless management, extremely high workload, holiday is extremely hard to come by, unsociable hours, made to do jobs you aren't trained to handle.
The typical day in Tesco involved picking up the mess left behind by the colleagues you were relieving. By the time you'd set yourself up properly; you were an hour behind on your work. However, if you just got on and left the previous persons mess then *you* are penalized, NOT the person responsible.

Management see such a high turnover of staff that – more... you become a number, rather than a name. Unless you have been working for Tesco for more than 5 years you were seen as temporary. I, personally, did not even see my contract until I had passed the probation period of 6 months. This was due to "the companies rights to protect internal resources". After three years of employment, I learned to see through the thinly veiled lies they hurled at me 24/7.

They did not respect my personal life at any time. During my employment I had an organ removed. Their first question was for an estimated date that I was able to return. It was very clear they wanted to sack me as soon as I was sick. It made me feel like a criminal!

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the managers. I can fully appreciate the delegation of duty as it is a vital part of their role as a manager. However; they gave ALL their duties out to people who were not able to handle it so they could sit in the "Confidential Office" and pretend to be busy. As a result; everyone was too busy to help each other because they were doing jobs they weren't trained to do.

Unfortunately; the bad vastly outweighed the good. The staff who weren't in senior managerial roles were lovely. If you managed to find a manager who cared about your issues then you found yourself clinging to them as their they were a winning lottery ticket. The customers, especially the ex-retail staff and regular customers, were always friendly, chatty and very pleasant. However, a five minute chat with a customer, even if trying to make a sale, was met with a 25 minute 'informal' meeting about wasting company time.

Disclosure: The review above was my personal experiences at a single Tesco over a 3 year period of part time and full time employed on varying shift patterns with a range of responsibilities. I know several people at different stores who are very satisfied with their employers and enjoy work.

Advice: Learn your contract as though it were your death warrant. Join the union immediately and stand up for yourself. Tesco has such a high turnover of staff these days that until you prove you are there to stay they really won't care about you, your life or needs. – less
shelf-stacker (Former Employee), Szeged, CSNovember 24, 2014
I worked there as a student so it was a part-time job. My task was to put the goods to the selves and sometimes the cleaning. I think that the company should employ more empleyee because too much tasks belong to one worker.
Good company to work
Customer Advisor (Former Employee), Bristol, ENGNovember 24, 2014
Some days are better than the others. Target based but good support and team work
fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Current Employee), London, ENGNovember 24, 2014
it was good fun to work at tescos sometimes but it can be hard work

1 2 3 4 5

About Tesco

Tesco, the world's fourth-largest grocery retailer and the UK's biggest retailer, runs over 5,000 stores in the UK. Its operations – Read more