Tervita Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Terrible Work Environment and Future, Would not recommend to anyone
PC (Former Employee), EdmontonJuly 28, 2015
Tervita has been in the news multiple times since their rebranding. They wasted millions of dollars on developing a name and putting all divisions under an umbrella and trying to sponsor everything they could get their hands on at Calgary Stampede. They planned to issue an IPO. They decided the "market wasn't favorable" but picked an internal share value greatly exceeding what the market would bear despite HUGE debt.

Shortly after their rebranding, they had to fire ~400 people in one day, mostly in the Calgary office. People had their things packed and everyone was tense and multiple people left in tears. A quick google search will come up with news articles referencing the massive layoffs. Since then they have had to sell off and close a number of divisions and had additional days of mass firings.

They shut down their "Employee Unit Ownership Plan" recently. They matched up to a 5% RRSP contribution in company stock. When they fired all of their employees (and had a mass exodus of a number of high level managers and below quitting) they were limited to pay out the funds in this EUOP program to $250k per month total. Because some of the highest managers in the company had hundreds of thousands in this program, the wait time to receive your money was up to 8 years. They valued their company stock internally at $54/share which was ridiculously overpriced. Since cancelling the program, they lowered their internal share price to $21/share (effectively lowering the payouts from the program to under half of what was owed). Despite requesting withdrawals at the $54/share rating – more... and being put on the waiting list for withdrawals, people who worked at Hazco or other divisions for most of their careers and were counting on a lot of this money for retirement or college funds, now are receiving less than half of the savings they had been waiting for. This doesn't seem legal yet no one at the company HR or elsewhere will talk about it.

Tervita hosts a terrible work environment, anybody worth their salt has already jumped ship and found jobs at competitor companies, the turnover rates are extremely high. Their Accounts Receivable and Payable and accounting systems are a mess, they will sometimes be 6 months behind on receipt and release of payments which causes cash flow issues and just general confusion.

The CEO has also left the company recently.

I wouldn't recommend working for any division in this company to my worst enemy. – less
Productive, open communication, great people to work with
Regional Safety Advisor of Southern Alberta (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 20, 2014
Pros: great co-workers, full benifits
Cons: work/ life balance/passion for the job
Tasks involved:
 Promote and coach compliance with Tervia’s Corporate Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) program “Safety matters in all that we do” at the field level
 Ensure operational compliance with client requirements and provincial OH&S regulations
 Be cognizant of and adhere to any site specific safety requirements
 Partake in all safety related meetings including: daily tail gates, weekly safety meetings, site specific safety plans (SSSP), per-work hazard assessments, job hazard assessments (JHA)
Support:
 Spend time in the field working with supervisors and employees – coach them on safety related activities
 Provide support during the investigations (Tap Root) incidents and near misses while ensuring proper follow up and implementation of corrective actions
 Provide support and steward to Project Managers and Senior Management on Health and Safety related activities
 WCB information for project managers, supervisors and customers, as requested
 Assist the project management team with the safety advise when bidding on projects

Managing Health and Safety:
 Administer Tervita’s Disability Management Program and coordinate WCB activities, as required
 Assist in maintaining safety equipment, documents and manuals
 Conduct internal and external safety audits
 Assist in maintaining OH&S record keeping system, including tracking of incidents / accidents, training, trending and statistics
 Provide assistance in creating, maintaining and update Job Hazard Analysis (JHA)
 Where required, coordination of PPE supplies by working with local suppliers

Reporting: – more...
 Complete initial Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) claims reports
 Report and investigate incidents and near misses while ensuring proper follow up and implementation of corrective actions – less
Pays the bills
Head Office Slave (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 22, 2016
Pros: pays some bills
Cons: too much to list in this box. see review
All that can be said for Tervita, in head office is it pays the bills. Management (especially in Info Tech) has no bloody clue about staff management, their skills or how to manage people. It is even doubtful they even have a clue what the skills inventory of their staff are. They might if they ever bothered to ask. There is no salary increases in at least 2 years, layoffs, but wow have they got money to waste on consultants for work that; a) their management should have the skills, if not..hit the road. b) their staff could do if they knew what they had skills for or even invest in their staff.
Typical workday is keep head low, shut up, collect your paycheck. Oh and fight boredom.
Suggest not to work here if you expect honest management that truly care about you. If you like self serving, management that lies, has no focus, then this is certainly the place to be.
New challenges each day in a productive environment
Operator (Former Employee), Valleyview, ABJanuary 19, 2016
Pros: Occasional BBQ days and free gifts for safety points
Cons: Shift work including nights
Safety was the main focus in the morning starting out our day with a moment to reflect before starting work. Would then proceed with our daily tasks of processing crude oil and byproducts(water and solids).
Testing oil purity and density and then treating and blending(upgrading) the product until it met pipeline specifications and daily volumes.
Easy to get along with management and co-workers with a company that supported health and safety in and out of the work environment.
The hardest part of the job was environmental conditions in certain repairs and maintenance requirements.
Most enjoyable was the adversity each day of different processes used to process the various product that came into the facility.
Professional Work Place
Field Services Administrator (Current Employee), Fort McMurraySeptember 8, 2014
Pros: love the people i work with, feels like a team.
Cons: not utilized to my full potential
My day to day duties consist of helping the Project Managers and Project Coordinators through the lifecycle of any given projects. I create Purchase Orders in order to get our vendors paid. I also invoice to our clients. My duties also consist of providing detailed reports to management in regards to utilization of personnel & equipment, payroll entries, and much more.

I learned to work with a very good program which is PeopleSoft. It has made me more efficient in doing my job.

The Management team is amazing, they are there to help us.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that I am part of a great team of efficient and knowledgeable people from who I can learn from.
Good Company to work for
Lead Operator (Interim TRD Manager) (Current Employee), Central AlbertaMarch 18, 2014
Typical day is always busy, need to make management decisions all the time and to make sure one is doing the right thing.

Change happens daily, suck it up and deal with it.

I belive i have had good managemtn people above me and i like to belive i am a good manager also.

Co-workers are usually fun to be around, if not make a atmosphere that is.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with change, and adapting to dealing with everyone's problems.

Move enjoyable part of the job is when co-workers or my direct reports remind myself of how good of a job we/I have been doing. Makes you know that you/we are doing the right thing and making the busniess successful and other progression other people to be successful to reach there goals.
Challenging projects surrounded by great employees.
Project Coordinator- 2nd Work Term (Former Employee), Sydney, NSJanuary 9, 2013
My position of Project Coordinator required extensive team work at the job site for the completion of various tasks. As a result, communication skills were also improved upon as I reported to the Project Manager while communicating with fellow employees to gain information to complete tasks well before deadlines. I was surrounded by co-workers that wanted to complete the work at hand in an ethical manner. Both sides would offer each other help when required making for a friendly and enjoyable working atmosphere. Ultimately, the knowledge and experience I had gained was invaluable and I am looking forward to bigger roles in my engineering future.
Terrible place to try and make a career
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABSeptember 16, 2015
Pros: money
Cons: everything else
The only thing good about Tervita is the pay and holidays. I expect that they need to pay their employees well, due to the fact that they treat them like numbers. This is not a good place to work. Management in Calgary does not care about you as an employee. They hire hordes of staff and then have mass layoffs when times become tight, instead of cutting the massive bonuses that upper management is getting. They would rather spend 1 million dollars on a chuck wagon tarp at the Calgary stampede than fix that disposal well that needs repair.
used to be a good place to work, changes were made in Acheson.
Rig manager (Former Employee), Acheson, abDecember 29, 2014
Pros: good equipment
Cons: boiler operations manager, you can fail a drug test and if you pass it later on they still hire you
Not a good place for boilerhands, have to put up with new boiler operations manager
a normal winter was 90-120 days work, lucky to get 30 days a winter now
job dependant on many factors, i.e. salesman, past performance and safety factor, oil industry itself.
Had an interview
Employment applicant (Former Employee), CalgaryJanuary 8, 2015
Had an interview a month ago and was talked out of the job during the interview. Told it was a 'challenging environment' and that they were going through a lot of change, difficult people to work with etc. etc. I left feeling like it was a total waste of time and that I was not being taken seriously as an applicant. On top of this, I never received even a thanks for showing up note. No follow-up whatsoever.
Equipment operator (Former Employee), FortMcMurray.ABMarch 1, 2014
Pros: company truck, always something new, good staff
Cons: poor management
I enjoyed my job with Tervita but I agree with some other postings that the management was not the best. No communication with employees and I found supervisors had no real ambition to help equipment operator to advance.
I left for personal reasons a few years back but I did gain lots of experience and got to work all over Alberta.
Business Analyst 10 + Years of Global Manufacturing & Oil and Gas experience
Sustainment Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 23, 2014
Analytical, solutions-focused professional with extensive experience planning, developing, and implementing strategic measures to enhance gathering of business requirements in global manufacturing and Oil and gas environments. Well-rounded expertise in safety compliance and good practices. Proven track record utilizing a fact-based, process-oriented approach towards reaching aggressive goals in support of cost, profit, service and organizational objectives.
Great office level support for field workers.
Rig Manager/Tool Push (Current Employee), Blackfalds AlbertaFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: nice rigs.
Cons: lack of sales, no work.
I have been working in SAGD heavy oil. There has been an incredible slow down and Tervita has no work. The equipment is always maintained and in good shape. The quality of workers has been good too. The hardest part of working for Tervita is the lack of steady work. The most enjoyable part is when you do work the rigs are usually top notch.
Friendly, productive work environment
Receptionist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 25, 2013
Mon to Fri 8-4:30
30 min lunch
I learned to input payroll hours and data.
Co workers were friendly and helpful.
Hardest part was trying to get on staff full time as I was currently with a Temp Agency.
Most enjoyable part was working with a great company and friendly staff. They showed they were there to help you if you needed it.
A struggling company
Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 19, 2015
Still struggling to find their identity. Continually making questionable decisions is costing them their share of the market. There's potential with the company if it can survive the downturn. They just need to decide what it is they want to be. Three rounds of layoffs in the last two years. They've lost a good deal of valuable people.
Typical Day at Work
Field Service Administrator (Current Employee), Richmond, BCNovember 3, 2015
Pros: flexible hours and challenges
Cons: none
Working with Tervita is a great experience. I am able to use my expertise and experience on a daily basis and transform my horizons.The day to day experience is rewarding as i learn something new on a daily basis and also have the opportunity to train and educate some new employees accross the company.
Completely Unorganized!
Field Technician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2013
Pros: it's a job.
Cons: it's not a career.
Very high expectations for below average pay.
Certain management have no respect for employees.
They will lie to you during interview of your role.
Organization was horrific.
Sludge pad employees are underpaid.
Promises of lots of work at the beginning.
Excellent place to work for, with an unpredictable future
Project Cost Coordinator (Current Employee), Richmond, BCMay 27, 2015
Like any place, Tervita has it's goods and bads. Some days are busier than others, so sometimes it's hard to plan ahead. Direct management is great but the same cannot be said about corporate.
Great work life balance
Regional Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Sherwood park ABMay 3, 2015
Monthly flex days for personal use.
No OT and flexible working hours.
Great team to work with, everyone had special talents that we all shared and were able to collaborate with. This made for a strong team that was able to learn from one another.
Toxic Company
Projects (Former Employee), Richmond, BCSeptember 4, 2015
Pros: Good compensation and benefits
Cons: Abusive culture
Poor culture, disrespectful and even abusive at times. Management lacks professionalism and leadership ability. Constant, heavy layoffs. Pay freezes, overextending on fancy Stampede sponsorship while profits lag. Low morale, egomaniacal middle managers who play favourites.