Tervita Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits

Terrible Work Environment and Future, Would not recommend to anyone
PC (Former Employee), EdmontonJuly 28, 2015
Tervita has been in the news multiple times since their rebranding. They wasted millions of dollars on developing a name and putting all divisions under an umbrella and trying to sponsor everything they could get their hands on at Calgary Stampede. They planned to issue an IPO. They decided the "market wasn't favorable" but picked an internal share value greatly exceeding what the market would bear despite HUGE debt.

Shortly after their rebranding, they had to fire ~400 people in one day, mostly in the Calgary office. People had their things packed and everyone was tense and multiple people left in tears. A quick google search will come up with news articles referencing the massive layoffs. Since then they have had to sell off and close a number of divisions and had additional days of mass firings.

They shut down their "Employee Unit Ownership Plan" recently. They matched up to a 5% RRSP contribution in company stock. When they fired all of their employees (and had a mass exodus of a number of high level managers and below quitting) they were limited to pay out the funds in this EUOP program to $250k per month total. Because some of the highest managers in the company had hundreds of thousands in this program, the wait time to receive your money was up to 8 years. They valued their company stock internally at $54/share which was ridiculously overpriced. Since cancelling the program, they lowered their internal share price to $21/share (effectively lowering the payouts from the program to under half of what was owed). Despite requesting withdrawals at the $54/share rating – more... and being put on the waiting list for withdrawals, people who worked at Hazco or other divisions for most of their careers and were counting on a lot of this money for retirement or college funds, now are receiving less than half of the savings they had been waiting for. This doesn't seem legal yet no one at the company HR or elsewhere will talk about it.

Tervita hosts a terrible work environment, anybody worth their salt has already jumped ship and found jobs at competitor companies, the turnover rates are extremely high. Their Accounts Receivable and Payable and accounting systems are a mess, they will sometimes be 6 months behind on receipt and release of payments which causes cash flow issues and just general confusion.

The CEO has also left the company recently.

I wouldn't recommend working for any division in this company to my worst enemy. – less
Excellent place to work for, with an unpredictable future
Project Cost Coordinator (Current Employee), Richmond, BCMay 27, 2015
Like any place, Tervita has it's goods and bads. Some days are busier than others, so sometimes it's hard to plan ahead. Direct management is great but the same cannot be said about corporate.
Good crews
Loader Operator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 21, 2015
Not a bad company to work for, usually treat their employees prretty good. would work for them again if I could. There's just not a lot of work right now.
Growing Company
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee), Blackfalds, ABMay 12, 2015
Tervita has undergone several changes in the last few years, but the company is getting to a really good place, and I am excited to see what the company has to bring.

Great benefits, compensation, and culture.
Great work life balance
Regional Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Sherwood park ABMay 3, 2015
Monthly flex days for personal use.
No OT and flexible working hours.
Great team to work with, everyone had special talents that we all shared and were able to collaborate with. This made for a strong team that was able to learn from one another.
Great but not fun to work with employees
Plant Operator (Former Employee), Fox Creek, ABApril 16, 2015
Pros: Wages and expierence
Cons: Staff
I loved my job but the atmoshpere was all wrong and clicky. I learned a lot and it was a great place to do so. Managment was flacky and liked not to deal with the matters at hand.
good place to work
Loader Operator/ Labourer (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABApril 9, 2015
Pros: home every night
Cons: pay
good hours
co-workers were very helpful
management was ok
keep busy throughout the day
safety wasn't the best
facility wasn't up to par
Provide many hours of work but allowed for very little time to rest.
Labourer/Drillers Hand on Anchor and Piling Rigs (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2015
This job was great for making a lot of money in a short amount of time. However it provided very little time to rest and required very long work hours.
Great people to work with
Billing Specialist (Former Employee), Calgary,ABMarch 19, 2015
Cons: early hours short days but 8 hours
Alot of work, I learned a great deal, Loved the people I worked with and enjoyed the customers I dealt with and they enjoyed me.
Boilerhand (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABMarch 6, 2015
Large Oil & Gas company. Nice people to work with, always kept busy. Treated well, with good benefits package. Several locations around Canada.
Great office level support for field workers.
Rig Manager/Tool Push (Current Employee), Blackfalds AlbertaFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: nice rigs.
Cons: lack of sales, no work.
I have been working in SAGD heavy oil. There has been an incredible slow down and Tervita has no work. The equipment is always maintained and in good shape. The quality of workers has been good too. The hardest part of working for Tervita is the lack of steady work. The most enjoyable part is when you do work the rigs are usually top notch.
Communication
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 24, 2015
The communication between the field people and office people are very poor. Office people does not know anything about the field people work and they are deciding without asking the front line workers.
General Construction Laborer
Laborer (Former Employee), Sydney, NSJanuary 29, 2015
Clean up of a hazardous waste site 8 hours per day and forty hours per week.
Discouraging
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 13, 2015
Management is lacking. Promises aren't kept to the employees. When questions about your next possible project come up you are answered with vague information.
Laborer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 8, 2015
A great place to work....
Well managed....
Perfect work/life balance.....
Fellow employees are great....
Company will be around forever.......
Room for advancement.....
Great pay....
Good benefits....
Overall a great place to work.
Had an interview
Employment applicant (Former Employee), CalgaryJanuary 8, 2015
Had an interview a month ago and was talked out of the job during the interview. Told it was a 'challenging environment' and that they were going through a lot of change, difficult people to work with etc. etc. I left feeling like it was a total waste of time and that I was not being taken seriously as an applicant. On top of this, I never received even a thanks for showing up note. No follow-up whatsoever.
used to be a good place to work, changes were made in Acheson.
Rig manager (Former Employee), Acheson, abDecember 29, 2014
Pros: good equipment
Cons: boiler operations manager, you can fail a drug test and if you pass it later on they still hire you
Not a good place for boilerhands, have to put up with new boiler operations manager
a normal winter was 90-120 days work, lucky to get 30 days a winter now
job dependant on many factors, i.e. salesman, past performance and safety factor, oil industry itself.
Productive and Good Team Work
BI Practicum Student (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 17, 2014
Pros: good platform to learn multitasking
Cons: i didn't see any cons yet
I really like this company. People are very friendly and coopeartive.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 22, 2014
Good Office environment and helpful people as well as management
Professional Work Place
Field Services Administrator (Current Employee), Fort McMurraySeptember 8, 2014
Pros: love the people i work with, feels like a team.
Cons: not utilized to my full potential
My day to day duties consist of helping the Project Managers and Project Coordinators through the lifecycle of any given projects. I create Purchase Orders in order to get our vendors paid. I also invoice to our clients. My duties also consist of providing detailed reports to management in regards to utilization of personnel & equipment, payroll entries, and much more.

I learned to work with a very good program which is PeopleSoft. It has made me more efficient in doing my job.

The Management team is amazing, they are there to help us.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that I am part of a great team of efficient and knowledgeable people from who I can learn from.

1 2 3