Tervita is a leading North American environmental and energy services company. Our 4,100 dedicated employees partner with natural resource and industrial companies who share our values and work with them to create a sustainable future. Safety is our highest priority: it influences our actions, guides our decisions and shapes our culture. We maintain a strategically located network of more than 95 state-of-the-art waste management facilities and a fleet of specialized equipment and assets to help customers address production and operational waste challenges. Our highly effective, convenient and environmentally sound solutions help minimize environmental impact and maximize returns.
A privately-held company, we’ve been known for the past 25 years by the brands of our founding companies: CCS, Hazco, Beck, Concord and others. By joining together our individual expertise, experience, assets and services, we will be uniquely positioned to develop integrated project management solutions and provide customers easier access to our broad range of comprehensive services.
With environmental waste treatment facilities operating in Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan, Tervita Waste Processing has become western Canada's leader in treatment, recovery and disposal of petroleum by-products. As a customer-driven organization, we take great pride in finding innovative customer-focused solutions. We maintain our long-term commitment to environmental stewardship by constantly striving to exceed industry standards. With approximately 700 employees, our focus on continuous improvement and operational excellence allows us to grow as a global leader of energy services.
We are currently recruiting for a Project Coordinator for Tervita’s Waste Processing Group on a Contract basis. The Waste Processing group supports the projects team in Canada. The project team is accountable to implement various capital projects for the company.
Our Project Coordinator will report to the Team Lead Cost & Schedule. Cost & Schedule supports project teams with governance and project controls, primarily in the execution phase.
The individual will be required to work closely with other groups, leaders and project managers to support effective and proactive control of project costs and schedules. This position will require a strong commitment to excellence in the development and support for cost control and project management systems, processes, resources, and tools.
Responsibilities related to the Implementation of Project Controls Practices include the following:
- Ensure processes are adhered to for commitments, project changes, contract changes, and invoices;
- Assist with the modification, documentation and implementation of existing and/or new internalprocesses and process improvements;
- Exercise control and change management over cost control, forecasting, schedule, progress and performance measurement work;
- Collaborate with the Project Manager to ensure necessary project controls support achieving project objectives;
- Compare current status versus established baselines and forecasts and contributing to the analysis and explanation of variances;
- Identify future potential cost and schedule impact and provide guidance to project teams;
- Coordinate the preparation and analysis of project reports and scorecards, assuming responsibility for overall accuracy, completeness and timeliness;
- Analyze installed quantities and expenditure of hours to derive earned value;
- Maintain/develop project breakdown structures for accurate reporting;
- Review and analyze of external and internal contractor progress and performance;
- Adapt the Project Controls Plan as required for a specific project scope of work.
Responsibilities related to Leadership, Mentorship and Coaching include the following:
- Support a learning environment for the continuous improvement of Tervitas project controls and project management capabilities;
- Collaborate with project groups in the sharing of lessons learned and best practices from projects to enhance our competitive advantage in developing and executing projects;
- Assist in the training, mentoring and coaching of Project Controls best practices to less experienced project controls staff.
- Strong knowledge of Project Control functions and processes including planning/scheduling, cost estimating, construction control, change management, financial and project accounting process and systems;
- Excellent knowledge of Cost Control systems is highly desirable;
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in Excel and the ability to manage data sets obtained from various data sources is required;
- Strong technical and business skills as well as an interest in project management processes;
- Strong communication skills, interpersonal, influencing, management and leadership skills;
- Proven team player with the ability to work effectively in cross-functional teams and to develop and maintain collaborative working relationships;
- Demonstrated ability to initiate change and help others adapt to a continuously changing environment;
- Knowledge of Tervitas internal systems (Peoplesoft, Primavera, HardDollar) is beneficial;
- Technical diploma or university degree with relevant experience in project controls, with high level of familiarity of general project management principles and skills;
- Minimum 3-5 years of relevant experience, demonstrating the above requested qualifications