ABC Head Start offers a comprehensive preschool and family support program for low income families. Operating in 11 locations across Edmonton, our goal is to prepare children for a successful educational experience in partnership with the family and community. Children in the ABC Head Start program are from 3½ to 5 years of age.
The Special Needs Assistant supports the Head Start Teacher with children within the Early Learning program who have complex communication needs. Reporting to the Site Supervisor, the Speech Language Pathologist Assistant plays a key role on the interdisciplinary team that includes a Social Worker, Speech Language Pathologists and Home Educator.
- Ensures that children are safe and nurtured
- Collaborates with the Site Team to establish an inclusive learning environment that stimulates social, physical, cognitive, communication and creative growth
- Provides documentation of children’s development
- Establishes supportive and respectful relationships among staff, children, their families and the community
- Contributes to a positive team environment
- Speech Language Pathologist Assistant Diploma required
- Related experience working with pre-school children is required
- Experience working with children with complex communications needs is essential
- A current Childcare First Aid Certificate is required
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Compensation: $26,502.93 - $27,667.50 annually depending on experience. 10 months’ salary paid over a 12 month period. Paid time off at Christmas and Spring Break
Closing Date: 05 August 2013
To apply, email your résumé and a cover letter.
For detailed job descriptions, please visit our web site www.abcheadstart.org
ABC Head Start thanks applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Candidates considered for the position will be contacted. We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.