Edmonton John Howard Society (EJHS) is a community based not for profit crime prevention agency that has been operating in Edmonton since 1949. Our mission is “through our programs and services we work to prevent crime and to help people affected by crime”.
NOVA provides young people between the ages of 16-24, who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless with a safe, affordable and supportive living environment. Operating primarily from a Harm Reduction philosophy, the program provides 20 beds as a low-barrier housing solution to those who are faced with multiple challenges.
- Build positive relationships/rapport with youth to encourage healthy lifestyle alternatives (through active, supportive listening)
- Accept referrals and complete intake paperwork.
- Maintain information in the agency database and participate in program evaluation and statistical information as required by supervisor
- Maintain daily records and documentation
- Ensure residents are provided with adequate food in accordance with the Canada Food Guide
- Assist in maintaining a clean environment for residents and staff
- Build positive relationships with related community agencies/partners
- This is an awake overnight position and requires the selected candidate to work the overnight hours between 11:00 pm – 7:00 am.
- Degree or Diploma in Human Services or related field
- Minimum 2 years experience working with marginalized populations
- Strong understanding of Harm Reduction
- Strong listening skills, relationship building, mediation and counseling skills
- Must be self-directed, flexible, team orientated and able to follow direction
- Able to follow the agency’s philosophy and core values
- A clear Criminal Record Check and Child Welfare Record Check are required
The starting annual salary for this position is $40 000, with additional compensation between the hours of midnight and 6:00 am.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter electronically by December 4, 2013
Safety and harmony in our community