Ten Thousand Villages Employee Reviews

Nice place to work, great team and able to see the work of artisans from the world
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC18 July 2017
Typical day at work is to great customers and promote new arrivals. Work at the cash register to enter sales.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to be able to work with the public and assist customers.
Pros
Volunteering with no long hours
Cons
Nothing to complain about
Amazing store, amazing people, amazing mission!
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK27 March 2017
Restocking inventory, making sales, learning about new products, keeping our mission statement in mind, organizing store, and informing customers about products, where they're from, etc.

Easy, relaxed, fun, stress-free workplace. The staff is polite and amazing with customers and coworkers, flexible and enjoyable to work with, along with management.

The best part of my day would be chatting with customers, why they're in the store, what they're looking for, every customers have a story.
Pros
Discount card, free snacks, drinks (tea, water, coffee), always learning everyday on the job.
Cons
Long slow days.
A company full of love
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 March 2017
This is a very pleasant working environment with nice colleagues and customers.
The mission of giving and love is very powerful.
They offer great customer service training, and their standard of service is very high.
Great mission, poor execution.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2017
A wonderful place to work but suffered from mismanagement. The customers were wonderful and you could feel good about helping people all over the world and the day-to-day was nice. Free coffee and good training. However it was managed by a board of volunteers who had a disconnect in their understanding of the needs of the retail environment and employees. For example working a 10 hour shift alone and no budget for advertising. Job security is also lacking as they have no problem laying people off without warning.
Pros
Helping marginalised artisans around the world.
Cons
Working under volunteers with no knowledge of retail.
3/5 Rating
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 January 2017
It was a pretty casual work day. As a part time worker we had very minimum hours. The cashing in and out was normally done by managers. The 15 minute breaks were paid during 4 hour shifts.
Pros
Free 15 minute breaks
Great atmosphere with wonderful people to work with
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 May 2016
I really enjoyed working with the products and organizing the floor. I dealt with customers every time and made sales every shift. I learned to be patient and polite with everyone who walked in and tried helping the best I could without overwhelming them.
commerce équitable
Bénévole en service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Montréal10 August 2015
si vous êtes passionner par le commerce équitable et avez du temps à donner, c'est l'endroit parfait pour cela.
il y a toujours des nouveaux produits et le personnel est aimable.
Pros
café et thé à volonté
Empresa con proposito
Asistente de Ventas (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 May 2015
Empresa que se dedica a vender productos de comercio justo, enfocada a mejorar la vida de los productores y preocupada por otorgar un ambiente de trabajo digno y respetuoso para sus empleados, el equipo de trabajo es formidable.
Chilled environment
Volunteer Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 August 2014
A typical day at work includes ringing customers in and letting all those who are new about the mission of Ten Thousand Villages. Most of the time people are buying gifts so you may have to wrap and make the gift look presentable.
Sweeping, making sure the environment is clean and visually appealing are part of the day as well. All in all everyone is always warm and welcoming the environment is fulfilling and the ambiance is relaxing.
This is a place that mostly only takes volunteers so be wary of that.
Pros
Free coffee and tea
The volunteers were such a great part of how the store was run.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 August 2012
A typical day was filled with many projects. I took care of emails coming in and opening the store to the customers. Customer service was our main focus.
I learned a lot about Fair Trade. I was completely inspired by the artisans work, all done by hand. We were there to help the developing countries. It was an amazing experience to be apart of.
My manager was always there to support us on the floor. Great attitude. Very smart woman.
My co-workers were all volunteers. They were amazing to work with. Everyday was a new day. I helped them to learn about the products and the countries where the artisan were from. Teaching them our mission. They also taught me quite a bit as well about the counrties where they were from. Our store was very multicultural which I enjoyed.
They hardest part of the job was putting the schedule together. Being that everybody was a volunteer. It was sometimes difficult to fill shifts becuase they had other jobs as well. All the shifts were filled with patience and help from others, including myself.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the sales. I enjoyed helping people to buy. It was Fair Trade products. So the feeling of helping so many people in one sale felt amazing. The customer, the story of the artisan and the country. I enjoyed selling the coffee and chocolate. To support Fair Trade is so important for the future.
Pros
i had the opportunity to sell the products at festivals, outside of the store.
Cons
store hours