Full time, 6-month contract. Possibility of permanent position.
We will remove this posting when the job is filled, so if you're reading this, feel free to apply!
Work from home, telecommute via chat, email, Skype meetings, etc. (AKA Remote)
Accepting applications from Canada.
Tempest Systems is a small web startup company based in Victoria, BC. Basically, we build cool stuff for the web. We don’t do consulting or corporate websites or any of that. What we do is notice things that should exist but don’t, and then build them.
As part of our team, you’ll have a chance to apply your skills solving interesting problems and creating things that people actually want to use. Hopefully that appeals to you as much as it does to us!
Our primary existing sites are www.searchtempest.com and www.autotempest.com. They’re basically classifieds search engines for power-users. SearchTempest focuses on 'local' classifieds from sites like craigslist, while AutoTempest searches all the top used car sites in North America. They are intended for users who want more advanced search options than they can get directly at these sites, as well as those who want to save time by searching multiple cities and/or sites at once.
Our goal is to provide a streamlined and intuitive user experience, without sacrificing any of the advanced options that make our sites unique. This position will largely focus on these existing sites, as we have many exciting (to us at least!) improvements and additions planned. We also have at least one completely different type of site planned, as well as associated mobile versions and apps.
POSITION & REQUIREMENTS:
We are a tiny but fast-growing company looking for an outstanding developer who can make an impact in all aspects of the development process. We could list a bunch of qualifications, and will below, but essentially we only have two requirements. To borrow from Joel Spolsky, we are looking for someone who
a. Is smart
b. Gets things done.
That’s it. Things change so quickly in the tech world that we would much rather hire someone who can learn new concepts quickly and do things right than someone who happens to already have experience with angular.js or whatever. Of course any relevant experience you do have is a plus, but as long as you’re willing and able to learn, nothing’s absolutely necessary.
As for b., obviously that’s important for any company, but it’s especially important for a small web startup. We need to get things done to be competitive, and each developer’s contribution is critical. Working from home means space to concentrate without annoyances or interruptions, but it also means you must be someone who can keep motivated and on track. (Fortunately it seems to help to have interesting work to do!)
This position does not require a great deal of experience, but you should have at least a small portfolio to show us, and of course a desire to learn. It will most likely focus on front-end design and development, but could include some back-end development as well, depending on your interests and abilities.
Any additional skills you bring to the table are also appreciated - anything from system administration to graphics to marketing experience is useful!
As mentioned above, none of these are absolutely required, but the more the better!
- Experience designing and developing quality web-based tools
- Responsive and/or mobile website design and development
- Ability to produce exceptional work individually or as part of a team
- Willingness to follow through with documentation and testing
- B.Sc. Computer Science or Technical Diploma and/or relevant work experience
- Interest and excitement for learning new things and making cool stuff!
Would be nice:
- Back-end coding experience (ie: PHP, Python, etc.)
- Database design and maintenance (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.) Concepts like database normalization, partitioning, other basic optimization
- Visual web design and/or graphics design; ie, using Photoshop or Fireworks
- Experience working with commercial APIs such as YQL, Google Maps, Twitter, eBay, etc.
- App development for iOS and/or Android
- Experience with online marketing, particularly using social media
- Excellent written communication skills; experience with business development outreach and/or PR
Thanks for your application!