POSTING #: ESSF 1059
AFFILIATION: CSU 52
INSTRUCTOR – SCIENCE EDUCATION
TEMPORARY PART-TIME MARCH 2014 - JUNE 27, 2014 (up to 2 positions)
As an Instructor, this individual must proactively engage, inform and stimulate students & teachers by providing knowledgeable instruction and explanation of procedures and observed results in activities. An instructor possesses thorough knowledge of all curriculum based school science education programs, and the necessary skills and knowledge to operate all specialty equipment used in the presentation of programs. Presentations may occur on-site, at client locations or via technology.
Instructors are involved with providing input into the assessment of overall program effectiveness and future program development.
DUTIES: In conjunction with and under the direction of the Director of School Programs and supervision of the Program Assistants, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Present curriculum based school science education programs to school groups, students and teacher in-service sessions.
- Respond in a knowledgeable manner to requests for information on the TELUS World of Science - Edmonton, our programs and science related questions.
- Ensure all materials, supplies and equipment is available, prepared, in working condition and in the appropriate areas according to organization standards.
- Liaise with group leaders and teachers to promote on-going relationships.
- Participate in the assessment, evaluation and development of science education programs.
- Ensure the safety of all program participants.
- Other related duties as required.
Knowledge & Abilities:
- Public speaking, teaching, or theatrical experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Bilingual (English/French) is an asset.
- A working knowledge of general science.
- Familiar with the Alberta Education Science Curriculum.
- Must have general knowledge of science lab practises.
- Knowledge and experience in early childhood education preferred.
- Technical aptitude.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- May be required to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
Education and Experience:
- University or equivalent Post-secondary degree in Education
- Post Secondary degree/diploma or extensive experience in one of the following areas an asset:
o Science Communication
- Possess or qualifies for an Alberta Teaching Certificate is preferred.
- Post degree formal classroom instructional experience is required.
Note: A Security Clearance Check is a condition of employment for successful candidates. The check must be completed prior to commencement of work and is the financial responsibility of the candidate.
SALARY: $22.29-26.47 per hour as per the 2013 Collective Agreement
AVAILABILITY: Must be available Mon. – Fri. Between the hours of 8:30am & 4:30pm, for 3-6 hour shifts which will vary depending on bookings.
OPENING DATE: March 3, 2014
CLOSING DATE: March 10, 2014
APPLY TO: TELUS World of Science – Edmonton
11211 142 Street NW, Edmonton, AB T5M 4A1
Attention: Manager, Human Resources
We thank all applicants in advance and advise only those selected for an interview will be contacted.