Temporary Part Time: May – October 2013
Under the direction of the Director of Public Programs, and through the TELUS World of Science - Edmonton Interpretive Program, the Gallery Interpreter has primary responsibility to ensure general public visitors enjoy a broad learning and entertainment experience.
As a Gallery Interpreter, this individual must engage all visitors by initiating conversation and demonstration of programs and exhibits. Possess thorough knowledge of all gallery exhibits, programs and science and technological concepts demonstrated at the TELUS World of Science - Edmonton. They must stimulate visitors to seek further information through interaction with exhibits and cause the length of time a visitor remains in a gallery to increase as a result of increased awareness of the opportunities for investigation within the gallery. This individual must also create an atmosphere of fun and support all visitors to the facility. The Gallery Interpreter reports directly to the Public Programs Assistant.
DUTIES: In conjunction with the Public Program Assistant the incumbent will:
- Be present throughout the galleries, interacting with staff and visitors, during public hours of operation.
- Engage all visitors by initiating conversation and demonstration of programs and exhibits.
- Set-up all program components in the various galleries and ensure all areas are cleaned appropriately after galleries are closed.
- Operate various computer and electronic equipment used in all the galleries.
- Provide customer service for all gallery programs and respond to visitor requests for information on the TELUS World of Science - Edmonton, our programs and general science related questions.
- Identify any deficiencies in exhibits and report to Exhibits staff.
- Assist in supervising, motivating, evaluating and directing TELUS World of Science - Edmonton volunteers involved in the delivery of public programs
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
The incumbent will demonstrate:
Knowledge of astronomy and general science.
Demonstrated knowledge of audio-visual equipment and aptitude for electronics and technology.
Excellent problem solving skills and abilities.
Excellent communication skills.
Excellent inter-personal skills.
High School Diploma supplemented by post-secondary education.
Experience with computers and audio-visual equipment.
Strong public speaking skills.
Customer service experience is required.
Note: A Security Clearance Check is a condition of employment for successful candidates. Must be completed prior to commencement of work and is the financial responsibility of the candidate.
HOURS: MUST BE AVAILABLE WEEKDAYS, EVENINGS AND WEEKENDS (including stat holidays) 5-15 hrs a week
SALARY: $14.13 to $18.05 per hour as per the 2013 Collective Agreement
APPLY TO: TELUS World of Science – Edmonton
11211 142 Street NW, Edmonton, AB T5M 4A1
Attention: Director, Human Resources or e-mail:
Please include your availability in your cover letter.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.