TELUS Communications Employee Reviews

Good pay, fun work, poor job culture.
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC30 December 2016
Its fun work, and its interesting and challenging. The downsides come with how the company values their employees. The management is focusing on what we aren't doing or doing badly rather than what we are doing well. They have policies about advancement that are unbelievably stupid, and I feel like I have no future there.
Pros
Good co-workers, fun work, good benefits.
Cons
Poor management, lack of worker support, questionably policies
Great company with great culture!
Talent Acquisition Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2016
TELUS is a really great company to work for! The culture and work environment is beyond comparable to any other company I have ever worked for. Management is also great, and support you with career development. I've had the opportunity to work in a couple of departments in the short three years I've worked there. The benefits and compensation are also great!
Excellent place to work
Network and Design Specialist, Technology Strategy (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2016
TELUS is a extraordinary place to work, very learning, respectful and diverse culture.
A Techical Design Specialist in Technology Strategy our day start with Technical and project meetings, where people share and listen technical views.
My Co-workers are very respectful to each other and ready to support whenever needed.
The hardest part of the job is to balance between work and personal life.
The most important part of the job is appreciation on every end of projects.
Management is committed to follow the guidelines and vision provided by higher management.
Pros
Learning, Bonus and opportunities to grow.
Cons
extensive workload
Awesome workplace
Corporate Activation Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 November 2016
Flexible work-life balance
great co-workers
good benefits
good interaction with management
work hard play hard
good support from peers
good advancement opportunities
Working at Telus
sales and service representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 January 2017
Telus provides excellent training and comfortable work environment.
A good benefits package and great vacation time.

A large turn around with front line workers and management.
Constant changes in procedures and policies are a negative for me.

An option to work from home a big plus ,

Overall it has been a great experience and I was able to work with some great people.
Pros
Telus provides excellent training and comfortable work environment.
Cons
A large turn around with front line workers and management.
not for front line customer care work
Customer Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2016
the company used to be amazing, and i'm sure it depends on what department you work for so this is pertaining customer care and client facing teams.
over the last decade however they have cut fun extras, increased rates for insurance while removing more of what's covered within the insurance, there is almost no work life balance with vacation days being blocked off and managers being told NOT to make exceptions as well as scheduling being a disaster and with employees who take calls being pressured to take more calls in quicker succession, with more and harsher punishments if the company's idea of " ideals" is not being met. there is little to no advancement as openings for other departments are not considered seriously for those applying from client facing teams, and managers that are being hired seem to be only a small step up from used car salesmen both in competence and morals. this is a great place if you want to pass through, a student perhaps looking for something part time. but NOT for a career.
Pros
the pay is considered the highest in the industry
Cons
pretty much every thing else.
Great place to work overall
Senior Technical Program / Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 January 2017
Offers a good work / life balance with the ability to work from various locations. A very ambitious culture that respects everyone's opinions and values; generally good management team.
Pros
Mobile work place, decent work / life balance and flexibility
Strong Team Culture
Workforce Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 July 2016
There is a strong culture of working together as a team - you work hard and you play hard together. It can get a little hectic and being able to quickly synthesize large volumes of information and making decisions on the fly are skills that will go a long way. Meetings, meetings all day can make simple decisions cumbersome, but collaboration is highly encouraged. For me the pay was relatively low compared to other utilities that I've worked wit, but the opportunities to learn and develop professionally compensates for this.
Pros
Team spirit and opportunities for professional development
Cons
Long hours and many meetings
not the phone company I once knew
Technology Analyst: Digital Signage operation (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 July 2016
A typical day at Telus is usually working on projects or working on trouble issues. I did not learn anything at this job and did not gain any new skills. I had asked for training but was refused several times due to BUDGET. My manager was terrible and non existent and we would not hear from him for up to 2 weeks. It seems the managers are not accountable for their time and to their employees. My manager could not answer any of my questions and did not make any effort to help.
I enjoyed my co-workers but since Telus is all about Spirited Team work it seemed to make unnecessary competition when in reality your working as a team. The hardest part of the job was not having work life balance and the team was always short staffed due to budget which made it impossible to have a week off.
The absence of management to make a decision made the job hard to navigate through.
Telus is all about the managers EGO and not the employee.
The most enjoyable part of the job was going home after a long days work.
Telus is all talk and the only people who get the perks are the Senior manager, if your just an employee you JUST an employee.

Sad to say, Just like when you get your Telus bill be prepared to be disappointed
Pros
Big company benefits
Cons
Manager EGOs, lack of work life balance
Telus Mobility Edmonton Alberta
Mobile Phone Sales (Former Employee) –  West Edmonton Mall, AB8 November 2016
This is a decent company to work for, depending on who is your manager, and the culture the manager helps to create through his guidance of employees as well as what the manager accepts as proper behavior in the workplace.
Pros
good pay, good benefits, good product
Cons
workplace culture might or might not be great depending on the circumstances.
Productive and a fun environment atomosphere
Customer Consultant Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 August 2016
Working for TELUS, everyday tasks make a big difference in people’s lives. We get a chance to bring technology to a customer’s first home or we get them started on a personal transformation with devices and wearable, and an app. And throughout the year, we takes time to volunteer and fundraise for groups in our communities. I love helping our customers and improving people’s lives.
Telus provide excellent work life balance
ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC26 May 2016
Telus provide flexible work life balance which is great.
A person can explore various departments. All departments rely on each other so there is excellent communication among people.
There is no work security there which is negative.
The management can be friendly and helpful. It varies from individual to individual.
The salary and benefits are lesser than other TELECOM Companies.
Not unlike any telco
Darren's slave (Current Employee) –  All over the place6 January 2017
My experience with Telus is very close to that at Bell Canada.
1. Great manager
2. Great director
3. Good coworkers (some not so much)
4. Interesting projects
5. Ample opportunities to learn

The downside is there is too much work and not enough people. I liken to trying to squeeze blood from a stone. There are constant reorganizations (Bell was not like this) which creates confusion, chaos, introduces new people and is not congruent with delivering exceptional customer service. I'm not sure if the end goal is outsource every piece of work to India or what. That appears to be what "executive management" is working towards.

Some within Telus still have jobs despite their gross incompetence. That shocks me. I expect that in government.

Again, everyone's experience is different based on their department and manager. I have been fortunate to work for a manager that cares.
Pros
Lots of interesting work
Cons
Too much work
Great company with lots of room for advancement
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 October 2016
I WORKED AT TELUS MOBILITY FOR APPROXIMATELY 15 YEARS .IT WAS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK AND I STARTED AS A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE AND WORKED MY WAY UP TO HIGHER CORPORATE POSITIONS AS I WAS A VERY HARD WORKER.. A typical day at work involved taking calls from dealers and assisting with any customer service related issues dealer may have , or issues logging into their on line portal...as well activating accounts and assisting with technical issues ..my co workers were great as it was like my second family away from home...the hardest part of the job may have been if systems were down and we could not immediately assist our clients ..i enjoyed the closeness we all had working together as a team and helping eachother out at all times
Pros
medical benefits
great benefits
Corporate Client Relationship Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2017
Great benefits. Strong focus on putting clients first. Too much offshoring now. Keep jobs in Canada. Need to invest more in employees. More focus needed for Leadership Development program.
Pros
pension plan, benefits
Cons
sub par management
Forward thinking business that puts customer service before all else.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 October 2016
The team works together with a single goal of making the best possible customer experience. The stress level is high as nothing but the best is acceptable.
Pros
Team work and benefits
Cons
very long hours
Telus job experience
Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 November 2016
The typical day at work is for people who are determined to make the sales. Many of our co workers had to take the bus.I also learned how to socialize with different kinds of people and different behaviours. The management strategies were quite effective. The manager also would make us wear dress shirts and a tie. My Co-workers were very kind and helpful, whenever there was problems they would assist. And the hardest part of the job was selling to people door to door, The most enjoyable part of the job was being outside all the time and working as a team
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Gets really hot
Good atmosphere
Telecom Programmer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC29 November 2016
- Excellent work place environment
- great facilities and work perks
- manageable work load
- Easy to use applications
- good management
- good work life balance
Poative work culture
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 September 2016
Only the best things to say about the management and the work environment .
There was definitely the opportunity for advancement . Management was more than willing to help with career options .
Enjoy working with telus
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 November 2016
Enjoy working with telus, Great place to work with. Great work ethics, people are very nice, good work life balance. good benefits. Overall i recommend everyone to work here,