TELUS Communications

TELUS Communications Employee Reviews

Good company and great benefits
Order Implementation Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2017
TELUS is a good company to work for. They offer great benefits (health/dental, match your pension and stock contributions).

I have worked in various departments at TELUS and found management to be very good at times by providing you support and actually caring about your well-being and life balance. At other times I found that management didn't care and just was looking out for themselves, but it all depends on the department and the manager at that time.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Management sometimes don't care
If only the job had been what had been advertised
Business Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 January 2017
A warning to all those out there who apply for a job posting advertising for a specific industry skill set, complete three "tests" and two interviews. You are hired for a really good company, or so you think, only to discover that the job you applied to and was hired for was not the job you were doing. Quit, leave, do not try and make the job "work" out. You will be removed by the end of the year when they complete their annual sweep and get rid of their nasty little hiring practices.
Pros
Work-at home
Cons
Long hours and weekend when required
Telus
Time Admin / Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2017
Busy daily and lots to juggle at times with last minute asks.

Was able to work for a number of departments and positions and learnt to be flexible and deal with change

I have worked for many good managers that always supported me

Hardest part would have been trying to get some answers to questions in the fast pace ever changing company

Always something to new to learn and working with my awesome team
Pros
Great Employees to work with
Cons
Upper Management changes for departments they are responsible for
Very Enjoyable work environment until I moved to the head office.
Loyalty & Retention Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 January 2017
A typical day at work would be me entering the building. Signing on at my work station receiving and accessories at my computer boxing them up and shipping them to their respective places.
When moving up to head office after the TELUS warehouse moved to Mississauga. I thought it would be a great opportunity for me.
In the beginning I loved it but close to the end they were doing a lot of job out sourcing and I feel they didn't value the Canadian workers they had.
I feel a lot of extra effort that was put into my job went unnoticed.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
n/a
Depends on who you directly report to
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC23 February 2017
It's a corporation.

When business is doing well, all is great. When it isn't, not so much. If decisions made at the top affect revenues adversely then it can be not so good. If numbers don't add up, then the workers will "pay the price". Not exclusive to this organization, but that is the problem with much of the corporate world.

If you can find a good management team within the organization, then all is good. But that isn't always easy to see from the outside. Be wary of teams that are deemed "high performance". That is usually a way to make a lack of efficiency sound good.

Overall, it is like most work places. Politics rule.
Pros
Good mobility within organization. Challenging work.
Cons
Can be long hours. Politics
Great Work-Life balance
Talent Acquisition Consultant (Former Employee) –  Canada19 January 2017
Very good culture. Love the option of Flexibility to work from home. Great Benefits. Compensation is at par with other companies of same size.
Pros
Workstyles - Ability to work from home
Cons
Too many layers of management. For example, to manage a small team of Recruiters - you have a manager / director, VP and EVP!!! Too much time spent on Strategic planning, meetings, reporting and presentation VS Actual work and on deliverable.
Working at Telus
sales and service representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 January 2017
Telus provides excellent training and comfortable work environment.
A good benefits package and great vacation time.

A large turn around with front line workers and management.
Constant changes in procedures and policies are a negative for me.

An option to work from home a big plus ,

Overall it has been a great experience and I was able to work with some great people.
Pros
Telus provides excellent training and comfortable work environment.
Cons
A large turn around with front line workers and management.
Great co workers who motivate one another
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC20 January 2017
Telus is a great place to work with good benefits and good coworkers who motivate each other to strive to do their best. Unfortunetly, theres no advancement within the company. Not many locations to move to because the dealership is a small company with 6-7 stores. Otherwise pay and work and life balance is good.
Pros
Good benefits and Good incentives
Cons
Not much sales due to the location of store
Amazing Company
Install and Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 February 2017
TELUS trains technicians and all employees in the work place. Very hands on, very detailed and it's paid. Tons of fun, the benefits were amazing. The other team members are what make it. Management is also very supportive and takes care of it's team members. Infinite room to develop and move on. TELUS will cover costs of learning/extra training if needed as well.
Pros
Tons of overtime
Cons
Tons of overtime
not worth it
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC23 January 2017
I enjoyed all the people I worked with, I even enjoyed the office atmosphere and working on a computer however management was too overbearing to create a healthy long term work environment. There was a lot of interoffice drama and railroading in order to achieve advancements. I had a manager actually actively prevent me from advancing upwards in my career.
Pros
decent cell plan
Cons
bad management
Don't have a close relative die
Client Account Management Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON20 December 2016
My grandmother passed away one month into my employment with Telus. I was a contract worker on a 6 month contract, we were not allowed any time off. I had to miss being at my grandmothers bedside when she died, so I could hopefully gain full time employment. My manager had no sympathy and no understanding,
Pros
Great wage/benefits
Cons
Contract workers are at the mercy of their manager
Telus job experience
Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 November 2016
The typical day at work is for people who are determined to make the sales. Many of our co workers had to take the bus.I also learned how to socialize with different kinds of people and different behaviours. The management strategies were quite effective. The manager also would make us wear dress shirts and a tie. My Co-workers were very kind and helpful, whenever there was problems they would assist. And the hardest part of the job was selling to people door to door, The most enjoyable part of the job was being outside all the time and working as a team
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Gets really hot
Sales Rep
SALES REPRESENTATIVE TOM HARRIS CELLULAR (Current Employee) –  Cloverdale, BC23 January 2017
Very good company to work for but I was thrown into working and the current location I work is understaffed so I find it quite stressful.
Benefits are awesome and my boss is awesome. It sucks that tom harris started cutting back on alot of benefits and perks for the employees. But overall an awesome company there is a reason why I returned to Tom Harris
Marvelous work place. With multicultural workforce.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2017
Telus is a service based company and its mission is satisfaction of customers. Telus is the best place to refine your commercial awareness, communication, time management , stress management and people oriented skills.Working under pressure, meeting tight deadlines, organisation, integrity and strong work ethics are practiced on daily basis. Telus is a multicultural company and respects every individual ethnicity and background. Telus is fair with all the employees and accommodates their personal and organistional values. The most difficult part of the job is to meet the tight deadlines.
Interaction with clients, helping them solve their problems and having a good team on board is the best part of telus.
Pros
bonuses, fair treatment
Cons
work life imbalance
telus
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC4 January 2017
Telus is focusing of more outsourcing their business than doing anything else, lots of onshore voluntary retirement was offered in last few years.

The prospect in Montreal for TELUS career is very limited and based on nepotism. One's educational background and interest for a certain position along with Key Performance Indicators are highly ignored.
Excellent place to work
Network and Design Specialist, Technology Strategy (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2016
TELUS is a extraordinary place to work, very learning, respectful and diverse culture.
A Techical Design Specialist in Technology Strategy our day start with Technical and project meetings, where people share and listen technical views.
My Co-workers are very respectful to each other and ready to support whenever needed.
The hardest part of the job is to balance between work and personal life.
The most important part of the job is appreciation on every end of projects.
Management is committed to follow the guidelines and vision provided by higher management.
Pros
Learning, Bonus and opportunities to grow.
Cons
extensive workload
A typical TELCO
CSM, TELUS Business Solutions (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2017
Overall no better or worse than the next TELCO.
Middle management appears to be restructured on an annual basis.. little room for upward mobility as the senior management is directly connected to the CEO /President
Pros
solid company with good shareholder growth
Cons
Shareholders first.. management second.. employees at bottom of the list
Provisioning Application Support Analyst
Provisioning Application Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON29 October 2016
Telus is a fast paced innovative company embracing change and always improving to meet the demand of the customer.
Telus has a flexible team player environment allowing productive and efficient workflow throughout the organization.
Telus has a passion for growthand encourages employees to grow within the organization as well.
Pros
Flexible environment
Cons
24 hour on call can have long hours
A organization with a strong training and development focus
Database Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2016
A training and development-focused organization with a clear roadmap for training employees to sustain and enhance the productivity of the organization as a whole. A transparent and open form of communication addressing employee’s need to feel that what they have to say has value.
Pros
Learning and development opportunities
Cons
No job security
Telus
L & R Specialist II Mobility AHA - Scarborough (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON13 January 2017
Great company to work for. Good pay and benefits. Challenging position negotiating with customers cell phone purchases and plans. As loyalty representative additional tools and perks to offer customers
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Company reduced the tools to work with (customer perks) making position very challenging