TELUS Communications Employee Reviews

Typical corporate environment
Client Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2017
In 11 years with the company I was treated fairly and compensated very well for what I was doing. I'd probably still be there if I didn't feel I was going to be dodging a severance package for the rest of my career, as many departments face outsourcing/off-shoring. I did find often, people that weren't capable of effectively managing would get promoted to management based on personal relationship as opposed to actual work experience, but that is really just how the game is played everywhere you go so nothing out of the ordinary. Co-Workers were usually phenomenal and it was most often them that kept me showing up on a daily basis. Great performing Employee Share Plan and benefits.
Pros
Occassional Free Lunches; Team Christmas Celebrations;
Cons
Employee recognition is not great; Quite often, the wrong people get promoted; Union environment doesn't separate hard workers from less productive
Good company and great benefits
Order Implementation Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2017
TELUS is a good company to work for. They offer great benefits (health/dental, match your pension and stock contributions).

I have worked in various departments at TELUS and found management to be very good at times by providing you support and actually caring about your well-being and life balance. At other times I found that management didn't care and just was looking out for themselves, but it all depends on the department and the manager at that time.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Management sometimes don't care
Working at Telus
sales and service representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 January 2017
Telus provides excellent training and comfortable work environment.
A good benefits package and great vacation time.

A large turn around with front line workers and management.
Constant changes in procedures and policies are a negative for me.

An option to work from home a big plus ,

Overall it has been a great experience and I was able to work with some great people.
Pros
Telus provides excellent training and comfortable work environment.
Cons
A large turn around with front line workers and management.
Great Work-Life balance
Talent Acquisition Consultant (Former Employee) –  Canada19 January 2017
Very good culture. Love the option of Flexibility to work from home. Great Benefits. Compensation is at par with other companies of same size.
Pros
Workstyles - Ability to work from home
Cons
Too many layers of management. For example, to manage a small team of Recruiters - you have a manager / director, VP and EVP!!! Too much time spent on Strategic planning, meetings, reporting and presentation VS Actual work and on deliverable.
Great company with lots of room for advancement
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 October 2016
I WORKED AT TELUS MOBILITY FOR APPROXIMATELY 15 YEARS .IT WAS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK AND I STARTED AS A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE AND WORKED MY WAY UP TO HIGHER CORPORATE POSITIONS AS I WAS A VERY HARD WORKER.. A typical day at work involved taking calls from dealers and assisting with any customer service related issues dealer may have , or issues logging into their on line portal...as well activating accounts and assisting with technical issues ..my co workers were great as it was like my second family away from home...the hardest part of the job may have been if systems were down and we could not immediately assist our clients ..i enjoyed the closeness we all had working together as a team and helping eachother out at all times
Pros
medical benefits
Great co workers who motivate one another
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC20 January 2017
Telus is a great place to work with good benefits and good coworkers who motivate each other to strive to do their best. Unfortunetly, theres no advancement within the company. Not many locations to move to because the dealership is a small company with 6-7 stores. Otherwise pay and work and life balance is good.
Pros
Good benefits and Good incentives
Cons
Not much sales due to the location of store
Amazing Company
Install and Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 February 2017
TELUS trains technicians and all employees in the work place. Very hands on, very detailed and it's paid. Tons of fun, the benefits were amazing. The other team members are what make it. Management is also very supportive and takes care of it's team members. Infinite room to develop and move on. TELUS will cover costs of learning/extra training if needed as well.
Pros
Tons of overtime
Cons
Tons of overtime
Don't have a close relative die
Client Account Management Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON20 December 2016
My grandmother passed away one month into my employment with Telus. I was a contract worker on a 6 month contract, we were not allowed any time off. I had to miss being at my grandmothers bedside when she died, so I could hopefully gain full time employment. My manager had no sympathy and no understanding,
Pros
Great wage/benefits
Cons
Contract workers are at the mercy of their manager
great com pany
Field Sales Manager (contract) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2017
this is an amazing company to work for management is always open to suggestions and improvements, amazing to work for if your full time staff not for contractors thou
Pros
great work-life balance
Cons
no benefits for contractors
Sales Rep
SALES REPRESENTATIVE TOM HARRIS CELLULAR (Current Employee) –  Cloverdale, BC23 January 2017
Very good company to work for but I was thrown into working and the current location I work is understaffed so I find it quite stressful.
Benefits are awesome and my boss is awesome. It sucks that tom harris started cutting back on alot of benefits and perks for the employees. But overall an awesome company there is a reason why I returned to Tom Harris
Telus Mobility Edmonton Alberta
Mobile Phone Sales (Former Employee) –  West Edmonton Mall, AB8 November 2016
This is a decent company to work for, depending on who is your manager, and the culture the manager helps to create through his guidance of employees as well as what the manager accepts as proper behavior in the workplace.
Pros
good pay, good benefits, good product
Cons
workplace culture might or might not be great depending on the circumstances.
Telus
L & R Specialist II Mobility AHA - Scarborough (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON13 January 2017
Great company to work for. Good pay and benefits. Challenging position negotiating with customers cell phone purchases and plans. As loyalty representative additional tools and perks to offer customers
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Company reduced the tools to work with (customer perks) making position very challenging
great benefits
Corporate Client Relationship Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2017
Great benefits. Strong focus on putting clients first. Too much offshoring now. Keep jobs in Canada. Need to invest more in employees. More focus needed for Leadership Development program.
Pros
pension plan, benefits
Cons
sub par management
Awesome workplace
Corporate Activation Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 November 2016
Flexible work-life balance
great co-workers
good benefits
good interaction with management
work hard play hard
good support from peers
good advancement opportunities
Great company with great culture!
Talent Acquisition Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2016
TELUS is a really great company to work for! The culture and work environment is beyond comparable to any other company I have ever worked for. Management is also great, and support you with career development. I've had the opportunity to work in a couple of departments in the short three years I've worked there. The benefits and compensation are also great!
Depends on who you directly report to
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC23 February 2017
It's a corporation.

When business is doing well, all is great. When it isn't, not so much. If decisions made at the top affect revenues adversely then it can be not so good. If numbers don't add up, then the workers will "pay the price". Not exclusive to this organization, but that is the problem with much of the corporate world.

If you can find a good management team within the organization, then all is good. But that isn't always easy to see from the outside. Be wary of teams that are deemed "high performance". That is usually a way to make a lack of efficiency sound good.

Overall, it is like most work places. Politics rule.
Pros
Good mobility within organization. Challenging work.
Cons
Can be long hours. Politics
Telus
Innovation Centre Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 February 2017
It is a good company. Hard to move up or get paid well. You can go years without receiving a raise. Work life balance depends on the teams
Very good place to work
Loyalty and Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC19 January 2017
Management very supportive. We worked hard and had fun as well
Good pay and benefits. We had sick days and balance days.
very good training program. Employees are valued.
Forward thinking business that puts customer service before all else.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 October 2016
The team works together with a single goal of making the best possible customer experience. The stress level is high as nothing but the best is acceptable.
Pros
Team work and benefits
Cons
very long hours
Productive and a fun environment atomosphere
Customer Consultant Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 August 2016
Working for TELUS, everyday tasks make a big difference in people’s lives. We get a chance to bring technology to a customer’s first home or we get them started on a personal transformation with devices and wearable, and an app. And throughout the year, we takes time to volunteer and fundraise for groups in our communities. I love helping our customers and improving people’s lives.