TELUS Communications

TELUS Communications Employee Reviews

Typical corporate environment
Client Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2017
In 11 years with the company I was treated fairly and compensated very well for what I was doing. I'd probably still be there if I didn't feel I was going to be dodging a severance package for the rest of my career, as many departments face outsourcing/off-shoring. I did find often, people that weren't capable of effectively managing would get promoted to management based on personal relationship as opposed to actual work experience, but that is really just how the game is played everywhere you go so nothing out of the ordinary. Co-Workers were usually phenomenal and it was most often them that kept me showing up on a daily basis. Great performing Employee Share Plan and benefits.
Pros
Occassional Free Lunches; Team Christmas Celebrations;
Cons
Employee recognition is not great; Quite often, the wrong people get promoted; Union environment doesn't separate hard workers from less productive
Great company with lots of room for advancement
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 October 2016
I WORKED AT TELUS MOBILITY FOR APPROXIMATELY 15 YEARS .IT WAS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK AND I STARTED AS A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE AND WORKED MY WAY UP TO HIGHER CORPORATE POSITIONS AS I WAS A VERY HARD WORKER.. A typical day at work involved taking calls from dealers and assisting with any customer service related issues dealer may have , or issues logging into their on line portal...as well activating accounts and assisting with technical issues ..my co workers were great as it was like my second family away from home...the hardest part of the job may have been if systems were down and we could not immediately assist our clients ..i enjoyed the closeness we all had working together as a team and helping eachother out at all times
Pros
medical benefits
Working at Telus
sales and service representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 January 2017
Telus provides excellent training and comfortable work environment.
A good benefits package and great vacation time.

A large turn around with front line workers and management.
Constant changes in procedures and policies are a negative for me.

An option to work from home a big plus ,

Overall it has been a great experience and I was able to work with some great people.
Pros
Telus provides excellent training and comfortable work environment.
Cons
A large turn around with front line workers and management.
Good pay, fun work, poor job culture.
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC30 December 2016
Its fun work, and its interesting and challenging. The downsides come with how the company values their employees. The management is focusing on what we aren't doing or doing badly rather than what we are doing well. They have policies about advancement that are unbelievably stupid, and I feel like I have no future there.
Pros
Good co-workers, fun work, good benefits.
Cons
Poor management, lack of worker support, questionably policies
Great Work-Life balance
Talent Acquisition Consultant (Former Employee) –  Canada19 January 2017
Very good culture. Love the option of Flexibility to work from home. Great Benefits. Compensation is at par with other companies of same size.
Pros
Workstyles - Ability to work from home
Cons
Too many layers of management. For example, to manage a small team of Recruiters - you have a manager / director, VP and EVP!!! Too much time spent on Strategic planning, meetings, reporting and presentation VS Actual work and on deliverable.
Don't have a close relative die
Client Account Management Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON20 December 2016
My grandmother passed away one month into my employment with Telus. I was a contract worker on a 6 month contract, we were not allowed any time off. I had to miss being at my grandmothers bedside when she died, so I could hopefully gain full time employment. My manager had no sympathy and no understanding,
Pros
Great wage/benefits
Cons
Contract workers are at the mercy of their manager
Great company with great culture!
Talent Acquisition Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2016
TELUS is a really great company to work for! The culture and work environment is beyond comparable to any other company I have ever worked for. Management is also great, and support you with career development. I've had the opportunity to work in a couple of departments in the short three years I've worked there. The benefits and compensation are also great!
Telus Mobility Edmonton Alberta
Mobile Phone Sales (Former Employee) –  West Edmonton Mall, AB8 November 2016
This is a decent company to work for, depending on who is your manager, and the culture the manager helps to create through his guidance of employees as well as what the manager accepts as proper behavior in the workplace.
Pros
good pay, good benefits, good product
Cons
workplace culture might or might not be great depending on the circumstances.
Awesome workplace
Corporate Activation Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 November 2016
Flexible work-life balance
great co-workers
good benefits
good interaction with management
work hard play hard
good support from peers
good advancement opportunities
Productive and a fun environment atomosphere
Customer Consultant Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 August 2016
Working for TELUS, everyday tasks make a big difference in people’s lives. We get a chance to bring technology to a customer’s first home or we get them started on a personal transformation with devices and wearable, and an app. And throughout the year, we takes time to volunteer and fundraise for groups in our communities. I love helping our customers and improving people’s lives.
Telus
L & R Specialist II Mobility AHA - Scarborough (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON13 January 2017
Great company to work for. Good pay and benefits. Challenging position negotiating with customers cell phone purchases and plans. As loyalty representative additional tools and perks to offer customers
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Company reduced the tools to work with (customer perks) making position very challenging
great benefits
Corporate Client Relationship Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2017
Great benefits. Strong focus on putting clients first. Too much offshoring now. Keep jobs in Canada. Need to invest more in employees. More focus needed for Leadership Development program.
Pros
pension plan, benefits
Cons
sub par management
Forward thinking business that puts customer service before all else.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 October 2016
The team works together with a single goal of making the best possible customer experience. The stress level is high as nothing but the best is acceptable.
Pros
Team work and benefits
Cons
very long hours
not the phone company I once knew
Technology Analyst: Digital Signage operation (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 July 2016
A typical day at Telus is usually working on projects or working on trouble issues. I did not learn anything at this job and did not gain any new skills. I had asked for training but was refused several times due to BUDGET. My manager was terrible and non existent and we would not hear from him for up to 2 weeks. It seems the managers are not accountable for their time and to their employees. My manager could not answer any of my questions and did not make any effort to help.
I enjoyed my co-workers but since Telus is all about Spirited Team work it seemed to make unnecessary competition when in reality your working as a team. The hardest part of the job was not having work life balance and the team was always short staffed due to budget which made it impossible to have a week off.
The absence of management to make a decision made the job hard to navigate through.
Telus is all about the managers EGO and not the employee.
The most enjoyable part of the job was going home after a long days work.
Telus is all talk and the only people who get the perks are the Senior manager, if your just an employee you JUST an employee.

Sad to say, Just like when you get your Telus bill be prepared to be disappointed
Pros
Big company benefits
Cons
Manager EGOs, lack of work life balance
Very good place to work
Loyalty and Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC19 January 2017
Management very supportive. We worked hard and had fun as well
Good pay and benefits. We had sick days and balance days.
very good training program. Employees are valued.
Enjoy working with telus
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 November 2016
Enjoy working with telus, Great place to work with. Great work ethics, people are very nice, good work life balance. good benefits. Overall i recommend everyone to work here,
Telus provide excellent work life balance
ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC26 May 2016
Telus provide flexible work life balance which is great.
A person can explore various departments. All departments rely on each other so there is excellent communication among people.
There is no work security there which is negative.
The management can be friendly and helpful. It varies from individual to individual.
The salary and benefits are lesser than other TELECOM Companies.
I very much enjoyed the atmosphere at TELUS; Their commitment and dedication to the local communities in which they operate is unparalleled.
Consumer Solutions Sales and Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 June 2016
Great employer with many benefits!
Very engaging leadership teams throughout TELUS!
I would highly recommend TELUS for long term fulfilling employment!
I enjoyed working with young professionals who were driven to success by creating their own personal growth programs!
Pros
Excellent pension and share plan!
Cons
Lots of "time robbers".
Amazing place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC18 September 2016
Very good salary
- fair flexibility
- Very good co-workers
- Good managers that help you to achieve your goals always.
- Good benefits. All my colleagues were lovel
not for front line customer care work
Customer Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2016
the company used to be amazing, and i'm sure it depends on what department you work for so this is pertaining customer care and client facing teams.
over the last decade however they have cut fun extras, increased rates for insurance while removing more of what's covered within the insurance, there is almost no work life balance with vacation days being blocked off and managers being told NOT to make exceptions as well as scheduling being a disaster and with employees who take calls being pressured to take more calls in quicker succession, with more and harsher punishments if the company's idea of " ideals" is not being met. there is little to no advancement as openings for other departments are not considered seriously for those applying from client facing teams, and managers that are being hired seem to be only a small step up from used car salesmen both in competence and morals. this is a great place if you want to pass through, a student perhaps looking for something part time. but NOT for a career.
Pros
the pay is considered the highest in the industry
Cons
pretty much every thing else.

TELUS Communications Reviews by Location