TELUS Communications

TELUS Communications Employee Reviews

Working at Telus
sales and service representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 January 2017
Telus provides excellent training and comfortable work environment.
A good benefits package and great vacation time.

A large turn around with front line workers and management.
Constant changes in procedures and policies are a negative for me.

An option to work from home a big plus ,

Overall it has been a great experience and I was able to work with some great people.
Pros
Telus provides excellent training and comfortable work environment.
Cons
A large turn around with front line workers and management.
Good pay, fun work, poor job culture.
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC30 December 2016
Its fun work, and its interesting and challenging. The downsides come with how the company values their employees. The management is focusing on what we aren't doing or doing badly rather than what we are doing well. They have policies about advancement that are unbelievably stupid, and I feel like I have no future there.
Pros
Good co-workers, fun work, good benefits.
Cons
Poor management, lack of worker support, questionably policies
Great Work-Life balance
Talent Acquisition Consultant (Former Employee) –  Canada19 January 2017
Very good culture. Love the option of Flexibility to work from home. Great Benefits. Compensation is at par with other companies of same size.
Pros
Workstyles - Ability to work from home
Cons
Too many layers of management. For example, to manage a small team of Recruiters - you have a manager / director, VP and EVP!!! Too much time spent on Strategic planning, meetings, reporting and presentation VS Actual work and on deliverable.
Telus job experience
Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 November 2016
The typical day at work is for people who are determined to make the sales. Many of our co workers had to take the bus.I also learned how to socialize with different kinds of people and different behaviours. The management strategies were quite effective. The manager also would make us wear dress shirts and a tie. My Co-workers were very kind and helpful, whenever there was problems they would assist. And the hardest part of the job was selling to people door to door, The most enjoyable part of the job was being outside all the time and working as a team
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Gets really hot
Great co workers who motivate one another
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC20 January 2017
Telus is a great place to work with good benefits and good coworkers who motivate each other to strive to do their best. Unfortunetly, theres no advancement within the company. Not many locations to move to because the dealership is a small company with 6-7 stores. Otherwise pay and work and life balance is good.
Pros
Good benefits and Good incentives
Cons
Not much sales due to the location of store
Don't have a close relative die
Client Account Management Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON20 December 2016
My grandmother passed away one month into my employment with Telus. I was a contract worker on a 6 month contract, we were not allowed any time off. I had to miss being at my grandmothers bedside when she died, so I could hopefully gain full time employment. My manager had no sympathy and no understanding,
Pros
Great wage/benefits
Cons
Contract workers are at the mercy of their manager
Excellent place to work
Network and Design Specialist, Technology Strategy (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2016
TELUS is a extraordinary place to work, very learning, respectful and diverse culture.
A Techical Design Specialist in Technology Strategy our day start with Technical and project meetings, where people share and listen technical views.
My Co-workers are very respectful to each other and ready to support whenever needed.
The hardest part of the job is to balance between work and personal life.
The most important part of the job is appreciation on every end of projects.
Management is committed to follow the guidelines and vision provided by higher management.
Pros
Learning, Bonus and opportunities to grow.
Cons
extensive workload
Provisioning Application Support Analyst
Provisioning Application Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON29 October 2016
Telus is a fast paced innovative company embracing change and always improving to meet the demand of the customer.
Telus has a flexible team player environment allowing productive and efficient workflow throughout the organization.
Telus has a passion for growthand encourages employees to grow within the organization as well.
Pros
Flexible environment
Cons
24 hour on call can have long hours
A organization with a strong training and development focus
Database Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2016
A training and development-focused organization with a clear roadmap for training employees to sustain and enhance the productivity of the organization as a whole. A transparent and open form of communication addressing employee’s need to feel that what they have to say has value.
Pros
Learning and development opportunities
Cons
No job security
telus
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC4 January 2017
Telus is focusing of more outsourcing their business than doing anything else, lots of onshore voluntary retirement was offered in last few years.

The prospect in Montreal for TELUS career is very limited and based on nepotism. One's educational background and interest for a certain position along with Key Performance Indicators are highly ignored.
Great company with lots of room for advancement
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 October 2016
I WORKED AT TELUS MOBILITY FOR APPROXIMATELY 15 YEARS .IT WAS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK AND I STARTED AS A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE AND WORKED MY WAY UP TO HIGHER CORPORATE POSITIONS AS I WAS A VERY HARD WORKER.. A typical day at work involved taking calls from dealers and assisting with any customer service related issues dealer may have , or issues logging into their on line portal...as well activating accounts and assisting with technical issues ..my co workers were great as it was like my second family away from home...the hardest part of the job may have been if systems were down and we could not immediately assist our clients ..i enjoyed the closeness we all had working together as a team and helping eachother out at all times
Pros
medical benefits
A typical TELCO
CSM, TELUS Business Solutions (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2017
Overall no better or worse than the next TELCO.
Middle management appears to be restructured on an annual basis.. little room for upward mobility as the senior management is directly connected to the CEO /President
Pros
solid company with good shareholder growth
Cons
Shareholders first.. management second.. employees at bottom of the list
Telus Mobility Edmonton Alberta
Mobile Phone Sales (Former Employee) –  West Edmonton Mall, AB8 November 2016
This is a decent company to work for, depending on who is your manager, and the culture the manager helps to create through his guidance of employees as well as what the manager accepts as proper behavior in the workplace.
Pros
good pay, good benefits, good product
Cons
workplace culture might or might not be great depending on the circumstances.
Productive , Very fun and enrgetic environment
Customer Solutions Expert (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 October 2016
Amazing company to be a part of! Very dynamic and diverse employees creates a variety of culture and new ideas . Laid back but very hard working people .

Most enjoyable part was the people who work there , it makes it so enjoyable to come into work stress free and creates a very dynamic atmosphere.
Pros
Sometimes free food
Telus
L & R Specialist II Mobility AHA - Scarborough (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON13 January 2017
Great company to work for. Good pay and benefits. Challenging position negotiating with customers cell phone purchases and plans. As loyalty representative additional tools and perks to offer customers
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Company reduced the tools to work with (customer perks) making position very challenging
What I Learned
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 November 2016
I learned a lot from TELUS.
I had never worked a telecommunications job before and I really enjoyed it.
I learned how to activate and renew contracts
Ship and repair phones, as well as up-sell many interesting and beneficial add-ons so customers leave the store satisfied
Pros
Interesting line of work
Cons
Employees
Creative and stimulating workplace
Supply Chain Planner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 December 2016
Mobile work style .

Flexible starting/ending times as long as you complete your required working hours per day.

Autonomous and self monitoring team yet but under the supervision of the manager providing guidance and help where required.(This may vary from one unit to another though)

The most enjoyable part of the job is the end to end ownership structure that allows you to navigate and interact with various players , thus understanding the need of the end customer as well as the challenges of your suppliers. You develop technical,analytical and customer service skills along the line.

The relatively difficult part is related to the high reliance on virtual communication tools which slow the development of relationship internally between the different departments /team members.
Pros
Flexibility, great work /life balance part of the company's policy
Not unlike any telco
Darren's slave (Current Employee) –  All over the place6 January 2017
My experience with Telus is very close to that at Bell Canada.
1. Great manager
2. Great director
3. Good coworkers (some not so much)
4. Interesting projects
5. Ample opportunities to learn

The downside is there is too much work and not enough people. I liken to trying to squeeze blood from a stone. There are constant reorganizations (Bell was not like this) which creates confusion, chaos, introduces new people and is not congruent with delivering exceptional customer service. I'm not sure if the end goal is outsource every piece of work to India or what. That appears to be what "executive management" is working towards.

Some within Telus still have jobs despite their gross incompetence. That shocks me. I expect that in government.

Again, everyone's experience is different based on their department and manager. I have been fortunate to work for a manager that cares.
Pros
Lots of interesting work
Cons
Too much work
The culture was good
Channel Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC14 January 2017
A typical work day would involve helping clients manage their accounts.

I learned data handling skills during my time at this job.

The job was contract based to there was no real position to advance to.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the colleagues in the same position.
Typical corporate environment
Client Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2017
In 11 years with the company I was treated fairly and compensated very well for what I was doing. I'd probably still be there if I didn't feel I was going to be dodging a severance package for the rest of my career, as many departments face outsourcing/off-shoring. I did find often, people that weren't capable of effectively managing would get promoted to management based on personal relationship as opposed to actual work experience, but that is really just how the game is played everywhere you go so nothing out of the ordinary. Co-Workers were usually phenomenal and it was most often them that kept me showing up on a daily basis. Great performing Employee Share Plan and benefits.
Pros
Occassional Free Lunches; Team Christmas Celebrations;
Cons
Employee recognition is not great; Quite often, the wrong people get promoted; Union environment doesn't separate hard workers from less productive

TELUS Communications Reviews by Location