TELUS Communications

TELUS Communications Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Loyalty department
Loyalty department (Current Employee), torontoApril 24, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: Not hiring out side people, low wage, and not growth within the company.
I've worked at telus for multiple years & salary is low for what anyone does for this company.Also I referred a friend with an out standing resume and great indepth knowledge of all divisions & no one even called him.

I would advise senior management to have your recruiting department do a better job at selecting candidates for postions.I think telus is losing strong ( individuals ) because they only seem to promote or hire from within. Search the Market for candidates that can make telus strong & a better over all profitable company.

Also if you pay your employees a decent highly competitive wage then you employees will work harder.Don't be scared to teach newer employees or newly hired employees because this can benefit telus.

I find companies don't want to teach employees any more and then they wonder why companies are failing or going bank rupt.

The system wont change unless we change it.
Part time worker
Sales Representative (Former Employee), MontrealApril 24, 2015
Pros: Great job for anyone between 18 and 21
Cons: The in store salaries are half what they give to people at the calling centers.
If you work there part time, the benefits are not existant anymore.

Hourly pay is close to minimum wage and to that you can add commission.

The commissions have been cut in half over the past couple of years.

The walk-in customers have gone down by close to 30% in most mall locations.

If you work at a stand-alone store, get a hobby you can accomplish during work hours or else you can go mad from boredom.

Get ready to fix cell phone issues. This is the main reason you will get customers walk-ins.
productive and fun place to work at
Sales member (Former Employee), guilfordApril 23, 2015
you would have a couple of hours to pratice what your going to say to the poepl when you start door knocking and then you go out and door knock
Good, potentially boring place to work
Leadership Development Program (Former Employee), BurnabyApril 9, 2015
TELUS is where I started my career. Lots of stuff to learn there. Because it is such a large organization it's difficult to even pretend you're making a real impact with the company. The benefits are excellent, but the salaries are mediocre. Lots of great people within the organization, but just as many tired older people that have been there forever and no longer have a passion for it, but are too tied up in the security that their job provides. Not my style.
I enjoyed working at Telus
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 7, 2015
I would arrive at work, turn on the computer, answer phone calls. I would start inputting the hours of the employees. I would get asked to do letters up for different managers. I would photocopy and organize papers for managers. I would do several different types of paperwork and forms related to the floor I was working on. I was also kept busy with the employees questions and concerns that I would need to direct appropriately.
Loyalty Agent for Telus Mobility
loyalty agent (Former Employee), CalgaryApril 4, 2015
Pros: pay/benefits
Cons: most other things
I worked at the call centre in Calgary for the mobility dept. I had started 3 yrs ago and quit near the end of last year. When I started the training was excellent as well as paid which is a plus because it is quite long. The one issue is that they don't train you on what to do when policies suddenly change which affects clients and more so those who have been clients for a long time and expect a certain way things are done. Policies for example which were the types of things you were trained on in the first place. This causes a lot of dissatisfaction and drives a lot of calls which in turn makes the job quite stressful as you will have no control and gain limited mastery while retaining some, but not all by any means, very angry/demanding clients.

A second problem, which is most likely part of any large company, is that each dept. working with each other had no idea what the other can do or is able to do...compounded by policy changes again. It's almost like the analogy of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. In the job however it is more like an octopus and each of the eight had no idea what the other was doing, or was willing, to do. This caused animosity between depts. and to some extent within our own which caused further but unneeded work stress.

The pay and benefits were quite good but I was full-time so unsure if part-time is quite so compensated. The pay/benefits were the best part of the job so take that as you will.

Work life balance is illusory in a call centre as shift work is the norm and Telus is no different. Start times – more... could range from 9am-1pm with end times ranging from 5pm-9om. The schedule is rotational and you will generally have no say as to when is the best times for you personally. If you're a parent and need evenings off, you may work until 9 pm some weeks because you will have no say and asked to find a shift trade on your own. It is best to consider this. Days off are not always together and could be mid-week, weekend, part weekend part mid-week etc. Again, not good for families or single parents I would imagine or people juggling 2 jobs.

Team managers were hit and miss personally as with all jobs but all are generally supportive, professional and never demanding or confrontational. Management above them however was more top down and basically said what was expected and employees are expected to do it. Call targets are determined mainly by the previous month's profits I think but we were never really told and always kept in the dark as to why certain things changed. If it's not in your pay grade don't look for answers.

Stats were not too difficult to meet most months but at times due to the constantly changing direction management decided to take almost every month 'coaching' is weekly and seemed almost scripted from a 'How To Manage People for Dummies' book.

Overall, like I stated, good pay but was far too stressful, schedule is rigid and take it or leave it, atmosphere is youthful but disengaged and upper management's view of cost/benefit in terms of pricing is lost in terms of their tenured clients expectations in my opinion. A good job for students but little advancement opportunity unless you want more work for the same pay and more stress. And despite what other reviews may imply in other depts..lateral promotions out of the call centre are not generally offered from what I saw. – less
Wolf in sheep's clothing
Director (Former Employee), VancouverApril 3, 2015
Pros: employee mobile phone plan discounts
Cons: below market pay
Be wary. Look beyond the cute critters or claims on cuddly culture. It's all a wax façade. The culture is only as sincere as the people who embody and lead it. I was part of the parade for 7+ years and the only thing that is consistent in progression and recognition is ruthlessness and insane hours. Engagement scores are a farce. Your bonus depends on it, duh. They cull the naive few who still believe it to be a genuine feedback mechanism.
Productive workplace with work, life, balance.
Business Helpdesk Specialist (Current Employee), Saint-Laurent, QCMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Flexible Schedule
Cons: Unionized
- Fun an dynamic work environment
- Increased training to develop knowledge base of products and services.
- Changing environment, job tasks and duties.
Great company to work for.
Client Care Representative (Former Employee), Prince George, BCMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Structure
Telus is an awesome company to work for. Has a great work/ life balance. Management ensures employees are well taken care of. It is very much a team atmosphere.
Great experience
Project Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2015
Great experience, I learned a lot. I have been with company a long time and I laugh everyday. Great people and colleagues. Work life balance could be improved.
It's not what it seems
Data Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 18, 2015
Pros: health benefits, salary
Cons: stress, management
I work at a TELUS call center for over 3 years. At first I couldn't have been the luckiest guy on the planet at that momment. Getting the job in a large company. I thought it would be the beginning of a great career.

Then after a few years, it was unbearable dealing with Management. There are too many of them. I got 2 plus a quality control rep. It feels like a sweat shop for calls at times. It’s completely stat driven only CST etc. The managers on the other hand spend more time in the gym company or play foose ball or Nintendo Wii in the game room than anything else.

The most unprofessional environment possible. It does matter how smart you are...if the management doesn't like you. You never get anywhere. I could not even get a interview for a postion i was fully qualified for because of my call center stats.
Fun and exciting place to work
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONMarch 18, 2015
Pros: great people and prizes
Cons: hours
There was continuous problem solving and customer concerns that kept you busy on a day to day basis. I had advanced quickly assisting in the management side of the business. Created goals and procedures for other team members and assisted the manager with daily tasks. The hardest part was working around home and work but the company in general was great.
Employee Friendly workplace
QA Analyst II (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 16, 2015
Pros: friendly environment to work at
Cons: commuting in winter is a little tough on me
QA scrums, meetings with BA's and developement team to understand the CR better and the solution for the SRS makes our job easier.
It gives a good kick start to the test scripting we do.
Review meetings to follow up on our Test Plan, Test Scripts will help us improve the testing coverage.
Co-workers, who are QA test analyst's and the other teams including dev and BA are helpful and are easily reachable although some of the team members are in the East Coast.

The hardest part of the job is to convince the developer on how critical the issue is.

The most enjoyable part of my job is to find defects in the system that the developer has created.
Moderate place to work
Project Assistant (Recruitment) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2015
Just a job, defiently not where you want to build a career. The room for advancement is as limited as their phone plans. Good benefits.
Fun place to work with great benefits
Client Care Representative (Current Employee), Prince George, BCMarch 12, 2015
Pros: sales contests, lowered cell plan and tv and internet bill
Cons: work weekends sometimes
A typical day at Telus is chatting with great people on the phone and helping them as best I can. Ive learned a lot of patience working here mainly. The management is always there for you if you need help or questions about anything. I have come to find some great life long friendships at Telus. The hardest part of my job is when someone calls in for a certain channel or program that we don't offer and theres nothing i can do for them. The best part of my job is when someone calls to save some money and i end up being able to do that for them by going over their bill, its very rewarding.
Sales/Customer Service (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: great wage
Cons: difficult schedules and very heavy amounts of work depending on time of year
Great corporate culture, lots of great opportunities, one of the best companies I've ever worked at. Ability to work from home, lots of benefits, very transparent business.
Great place to work, it's a family!
Client Care Representative (Current Employee), Prince George, BCFebruary 26, 2015
Telus is a great place to work. Everyone helps each other professionally and personally. I like the volunteer work they do as well.
Rogers
Operator (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCFebruary 19, 2015
Great environment, lost of support from management. Inbound customer care calls, and sales. The job was easy and you received motivation from management to excel and achieve more.
Excellent company with amazing co-workers!
Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 11, 2015
I first began my career with TELUS communications as a Loyalty & Retention Specialist in the mobility call centre. A typical day at work involved assisting clients while promoting the TELUS brand, and utilizing the skills and tools provided for retaining already existing TELUS clients. Throughout my training, and work in the call centre, I learned a lot about communicating with people, and developed strong negotiation skills that are applicable in all fields of work. The management team at TELUS are an exceptional bunch of people who provide never ending support, and kindness. The managers, along with my co-workers made the work environment fun, and welcoming. The hardest part of the job at first consisted of finding creative alternate solutions for client's concerns with their mobility accounts, however after the development of necessary skills, this part of the job was easier. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fun things the mobility teams would arrange for all of us agents to get to know one another.

In my current role as a recruitment consultant with the talent acquisition team has given me the opportunity to utilize and expand my knowledge in the field of Human Resources. It is a very flexible working environment, and my colleagues are superb! It also has given me the opportunity to work in a more independent environment as I have the ability to be mobile by working from home, or at the office.
Too much expectations with minimum salary
Technology Support Specialist (Current Employee), Thornhill, ONFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: director does not appreciate your efforts.
Nice place to gain experience.
Not a place to work more than 2 to 3 years.
Don't appreciate your efforts but expect more and more
Director is never friendly and does not care if you stay or leave.

1 2 3 4 5

About TELUS Communications

We're a high-performing team of individuals who collectively make TELUS one of the leading telecommunications companies in Canada. – Read more