TELUS Communications

TELUS Communications Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
busy, stressful environment
Tier 2 Technical Support (Former Employee), Toronto OnJuly 15, 2015
Pros: great benefits & pay
Cons: No life balance, management changes frequently
great pay and benefits no life or social balance, stressful environment, schedules are all over, managers micromanage quite abit
Productive and fun work place
Network Specialist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 22, 2015
Good medical and dental insurance
very professional environment.
managers are very cooperative
learnt various technologies.
good place to work
co maintance (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJune 10, 2015
great place to work but after strike lost headquarters area so telus had me going to edmonton to finish up my career paid one way move no returing here so I retired new management in 2000 joined AT&T alberta diff company now bctel to telus bean counters all the way company kinda lost the personal ways with employees new managers not knowing the job trying to tell people that have bein in a job for years how to do there job trying to justify there paychecks.hardest part of job was office politics .
Great Place to Work
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Brampton, OntarioJune 9, 2015
Pros: Great employee discounts on devices and accessories, employee rate plan.
Cons: Standing for full shift is a requirement. Not very intellectually challenging.
As an established organization, Telus is among one of the best to work for. There are many opportunities for career growth, however the fact that it is a well-established organization could work against you in that respect.

In trying to move to head office in a Sales Rep role, there will be a number of challenges and roadblocks that could prevent you advancement.

However, at the store level, if you are looking for entry level employment that can be lucrative without any previous experience, it is a good job.
Draconian work environment
Facility Inventory Coordinator Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 4, 2015
Pros: Wage, pension
Cons: Draconian work environment.
The union before its merger with USW had absolutely no bargaining power/leverage. Your job could be contracted out at anytime. The managers are patently Machiavellian in their one-on-one dealings with employees; the labor relations dept works close with management to manipulate or impose their will and interpretation of the texts/articles of the CA that was anything but the intent at the time of writing.
Project Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 27, 2015
Great place to work, you can balance responsibilities very well, lots of training. Flexible hours, good vacation, talented resources.
Enjoyable
sales representative (Former Employee), torontoMay 19, 2015
Good company to work for. Flexible scheduling and good sales environment. Very manageable part time work during full time school and pays well.
Excellent place to work
Business System Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 16, 2015
TELUS takes good care of its employees. It's work culture is one of the best cultures I have had the pleasure of being a part of it.
Great work styles program
Sr. Performance Analyst - ESO (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 4, 2015
Pros: Option to work from home
Cons: Hard to change teams
Diverse company with focus on customers first. Some times unfortunate choice of directors...
Would recommend to others (just not the Enterprise team)
Loyalty department
Loyalty department (Current Employee), torontoApril 24, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: Not hiring out side people, low wage, and not growth within the company.
I've worked at telus for multiple years & salary is low for what anyone does for this company.Also I referred a friend with an out standing resume and great indepth knowledge of all divisions & no one even called him.

I would advise senior management to have your recruiting department do a better job at selecting candidates for postions.I think telus is losing strong ( individuals ) because they only seem to promote or hire from within. Search the Market for candidates that can make telus strong & a better over all profitable company.

Also if you pay your employees a decent highly competitive wage then you employees will work harder.Don't be scared to teach newer employees or newly hired employees because this can benefit telus.

I find companies don't want to teach employees any more and then they wonder why companies are failing or going bank rupt.

The system wont change unless we change it.
Part time worker
Sales Representative (Former Employee), MontrealApril 24, 2015
Pros: Great job for anyone between 18 and 21
Cons: The in store salaries are half what they give to people at the calling centers.
If you work there part time, the benefits are not existant anymore.

Hourly pay is close to minimum wage and to that you can add commission.

The commissions have been cut in half over the past couple of years.

The walk-in customers have gone down by close to 30% in most mall locations.

If you work at a stand-alone store, get a hobby you can accomplish during work hours or else you can go mad from boredom.

Get ready to fix cell phone issues. This is the main reason you will get customers walk-ins.
productive and fun place to work at
Sales member (Former Employee), guilfordApril 23, 2015
you would have a couple of hours to pratice what your going to say to the poepl when you start door knocking and then you go out and door knock
Good, potentially boring place to work
Leadership Development Program (Former Employee), BurnabyApril 9, 2015
TELUS is where I started my career. Lots of stuff to learn there. Because it is such a large organization it's difficult to even pretend you're making a real impact with the company. The benefits are excellent, but the salaries are mediocre. Lots of great people within the organization, but just as many tired older people that have been there forever and no longer have a passion for it, but are too tied up in the security that their job provides. Not my style.
I enjoyed working at Telus
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 7, 2015
I would arrive at work, turn on the computer, answer phone calls. I would start inputting the hours of the employees. I would get asked to do letters up for different managers. I would photocopy and organize papers for managers. I would do several different types of paperwork and forms related to the floor I was working on. I was also kept busy with the employees questions and concerns that I would need to direct appropriately.
Loyalty Agent for Telus Mobility
loyalty agent (Former Employee), CalgaryApril 4, 2015
Pros: pay/benefits
Cons: most other things
I worked at the call centre in Calgary for the mobility dept. I had started 3 yrs ago and quit near the end of last year. When I started the training was excellent as well as paid which is a plus because it is quite long. The one issue is that they don't train you on what to do when policies suddenly change which affects clients and more so those who have been clients for a long time and expect a certain way things are done. Policies for example which were the types of things you were trained on in the first place. This causes a lot of dissatisfaction and drives a lot of calls which in turn – more... makes the job quite stressful as you will have no control and gain limited mastery while retaining some, but not all by any means, very angry/demanding clients.

A second problem, which is most likely part of any large company, is that each dept. working with each other had no idea what the other can do or is able to do...compounded by policy changes again. It's almost like the analogy of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. In the job however it is more like an octopus and each of the eight had no idea what the other was doing, or was willing, to do. This caused animosity between depts. and to some extent within our own which caused further but unneeded work stress.

The pay and benefits were quite good but I was full-time so unsure if part-time is quite so compensated. The pay/benefits were the best part of the job so take that as you will.

Work life balance is illusory in a call centre as shift work is the norm and Telus is no different. Start times could range from 9am-1pm with end times ranging from 5pm-9om. The schedule is rotational and you will generally have no say as to when is the best times for you personally. If you're a parent and need evenings off, you may work until 9 pm some weeks because you will have no say and asked to find a shift trade on your own. It is best to consider this. Days off are not always together and could be mid-week, weekend, part weekend part mid-week etc. Again, not good for families or single parents I would imagine or people juggling 2 jobs.

Team managers were hit and miss personally as with all jobs but all are generally supportive, professional and never demanding or confrontational. Management above them however was more top down and basically said what was expected and employees are expected to do it. Call targets are determined mainly by the previous month's profits I think but we were never really told and always kept in the dark as to why certain things changed. If it's not in your pay grade don't look for answers.

Stats were not too difficult to meet most months but at times due to the constantly changing direction management decided to take almost every month 'coaching' is weekly and seemed almost scripted from a 'How To Manage People for Dummies' book.

Overall, like I stated, good pay but was far too stressful, schedule is rigid and take it or leave it, atmosphere is youthful but disengaged and upper management's view of cost/benefit in terms of pricing is lost in terms of their tenured clients expectations in my opinion. A good job for students but little advancement opportunity unless you want more work for the same pay and more stress. And despite what other reviews may imply in other depts..lateral promotions out of the call centre are not generally offered from what I saw. – less
Wolf in sheep's clothing
Director (Former Employee), VancouverApril 3, 2015
Pros: employee mobile phone plan discounts
Cons: below market pay
Be wary. Look beyond the cute critters or claims on cuddly culture. It's all a wax façade. The culture is only as sincere as the people who embody and lead it. I was part of the parade for 7+ years and the only thing that is consistent in progression and recognition is ruthlessness and insane hours. Engagement scores are a farce. Your bonus depends on it, duh. They cull the naive few who still believe it to be a genuine feedback mechanism.
Productive workplace with work, life, balance.
Business Helpdesk Specialist (Current Employee), Saint-Laurent, QCMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Flexible Schedule
Cons: Unionized
- Fun an dynamic work environment
- Increased training to develop knowledge base of products and services.
- Changing environment, job tasks and duties.
Great company to work for.
Client Care Representative (Former Employee), Prince George, BCMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Structure
Telus is an awesome company to work for. Has a great work/ life balance. Management ensures employees are well taken care of. It is very much a team atmosphere.
Great experience
Project Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2015
Great experience, I learned a lot. I have been with company a long time and I laugh everyday. Great people and colleagues. Work life balance could be improved.
It's not what it seems
Data Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 18, 2015
Pros: health benefits, salary
Cons: stress, management
I work at a TELUS call center for over 3 years. At first I couldn't have been the luckiest guy on the planet at that momment. Getting the job in a large company. I thought it would be the beginning of a great career.

Then after a few years, it was unbearable dealing with Management. There are too many of them. I got 2 plus a quality control rep. It feels like a sweat shop for calls at times. It’s completely stat driven only CST etc. The managers on the other hand spend more time in the gym company or play foose ball or Nintendo Wii in the game room than anything else.

The most unprofessional environment possible. It does matter how smart you are...if the management doesn't like you. You never get anywhere. I could not even get a interview for a postion i was fully qualified for because of my call center stats.

1 2 3 4 5

About TELUS Communications

We're a high-performing team of individuals who collectively make TELUS one of the leading telecommunications companies in Canada. – Read more

TELUS Communications Photos