Teknion creates furniture that connects people, technology and spaces. We hold to a simple yet powerful principle: design does matter. Teknion offices and facilities are located in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, India, Russia and Malaysia. Clients are served through a network of authorized dealers worldwide. Through our 30 years of dedication to innovative and sustainable design, we offer a diverse portfolio of award-winning office systems, office furniture, ergonomic accessories and architectural products.
Teknion is a different kind of company - one with an entrepreneurial spirit defined by passion, curiosity and bold, creative thinking.
We remain a company with a youthful entrepreneurial spirit, privately held by a Canadian family whose roots in the furniture industry run deep.
The position is responsible for leading the Design Engineering Group and actively participating in the design, engineering, costing and documentation of new products and product applications. The development and engineering of new product solutions is in support of the Teknion product brief (PDO) based on industrial design concepts or as summarized by a client provided document/request for solution. The function is responsible for ensuring that products meet the design intent, are manufacturing friendly and meet cost targets, industry testing and safety standards. The candidate will work on multi-disciplinary project teams in a concurrent environment with members of other functional groups and departments.
- To develop creative and sound engineering solutions to new products (as outlined by the directional outline (PDO) and lead Design engineers in design of new products incorporating technical advances in manufacturing processes and materials.
- To evolve the design concept through a systematic process of modeling, prototyping, testing, analysis refining the design to optimize the function, appearance and manufacturing of new parts and assemblies. Develop accurate and detailed parts and assembly layouts.
- To cooperate closely with the Product Marketing and Industrial Design Departments to ensure that developed new products address market needs and customer expectations and work together with cross-disciplinary Project Teams to collectively solve product issues including function, manufacturability, technical application /compatibility, testing and installation, etc.
- To prepare complete and accurate technical documentation for developed product ( assembly and part drawings, part specification sheets ) and other supporting documentation of all technical aspects of the product using a common database and complying with Teknion ISO procedures and internal standards.
- Together with the Test Engineer, interpret the testing requirements as they apply to the new products and their application (BIFMA, CGSB, UL CSA, UBC, IBC, etc.). To ensure that the product design complies with all relevant testing requirements as outlined by the Test Engineer.
- To coordinate and assist Model and Prototype Shops with fabrication of prototypes and pre-production product as required for the design evolution, testing, showroom and training requirements.
- To provide preliminary product cost estimates during development.
- To liaise with 3rd party suppliers to source components or fabrication solutions to produce standard and special designed product.
- To cooperate with New Product Manufacturing in providing documentation, data and other information required for effective launch of products into full production.
- To proactively contribute to the development of new processes and tools that improve the concurrent development process and support Teknion’s lead position in the industry.
- To continue to acquire knowledge of industry trends and standards, manufacturing and materials, technology, competitive product and engineering practices, environmental issues and sustainable design principles.
- Lead and coordinate the work of Architectural Product Design Engineering team.
- Act as project leader for the processing of ECRs & ECOs.
- Work on new development projects or process improvement teams as directed by the AP Eng. Manager.
- Ensure that projects are completed on time & within budget.
- Liaise with Manufacturing, Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, Purchasing, Product Support & Product Management Assist with the maintenance of the pricing database to ensure that information is complete & correct. Responsible for the monitoring of testing, and ensuring new development pass all BIFMA, CGSB, CSA, UL tests for furniture hardware/equipment.
- Develop senior cell members’ supervisory skills by pairing with junior members on difficult projects.
- Assist with succession planning to ensure that suitable successors from within the department will always be available to allow for continued movement to other positions or departments
- Support and lead the evaluation and selection of new vendors specific to new development products
- Assign work and coordinate Architecural Product Design Engineering activities:
- Distribute work and projects throughout the cell to optimize workflow.
- Maintain accurate records of cell activities and prepare reports to track cell progress.
- Provide technical guidance to cell members.
- Validate drawings for other cell members.
- Identify areas of weakness or requiring additional training within the cell.
- Recommend policies or process modifications to improve the Design Engineering process.
- Arrange supplier and installation site visits.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Mechanical Engineering degree, diploma or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated excellent People and Leadership skills
- Minimum 8 years engineering experience in a product design and manufacturing environment (in consumer goods preferred)
- Supervisory experience or track record of increasing responsibility in a Design Engineering role
- Knowledge and experience with variety of manufacturing processes and materials (i.e. sheet metal, plastic, glass, wood)
- Excellent project and time management skills, experience in handling multiple projects
- Excellent organization skills
- Strong 3D modeling and detail design using Solidworks and Autocad
- Hands-on experience with prototype and model making
- Very good communication (verbal and written), presentation and interpersonal skills
- Experience and ability to work both in diverse multidisciplinary team environment as well as individually with minimum supervision
If you are interested in this job posting, please ensure you quote the job title of this position, Design Engineer, New Products Development, Team Lead, in the subject line of your email.
Indeed - 7 months ago