Teck Mining Employee Reviews in Canada

Great company all around
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCSeptember 9, 2014
The work was interesting and challenging. Management was fair. Salary/Benefits were above average. EDO schedule allows for long weekends and Teck supports the work/life balance
Vitaliy Zhydkykh
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BCJune 11, 2014
Always stay alert and open minded.
Respect others.
Be aware of surroundings.
Treat others the way you want to be treated.
Always looking for Advancement
Always looking for ways to get better and learn something new every day.
Hardest part of the job is when you don't get proper training and communication before task.
Most enjoyable is working with people and outdoors as well as everyday challenges
Pros
full time employement
Cons
being away from family
Poor management
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  SparwoodMay 30, 2014
Poor management and depressing working environment. Great co-workers.
Excellent Company to work for.
Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BCMay 19, 2014
Cover the theory, simulator training and field training.
Learned Courage's Leadership.
Management was very open to idea's.
Co-workers excellent people to work with, very open to suggestions.
Their were hard parts to the job.
Working with everyone.
Test Lead
Test Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 8, 2014
Participated in projects planning by reviewing, analyzing and clarifying the business requirements and prototype creation in an agile environment
• Identified opportunities for process improvement, developing and suggesting solutions
• Recommended value-added changes in the various phases of the tender process that enhanced the overall efficiency of the process
• Managed requirements traceability
• Performed risk analysis, defined assumptions and constraints for monthly release
• Performed analysis for proposed solutions
• Reviewed functional requirements and assessed test cases
• Standardized QA standards and practices across teams
• Defined testing scope, goals, risks, entrance/Exit criteria for monthly release
• Facilitated lesson-learned meetings
• Configured and managed Quality Center usage for test asset management, reporting and usability
• Managed and supported Smoke, SNIFF, FIT , SIT and UAT test phases
• Mentored testing resources and resolved any issues faced by team
Great corporate culture
Sr. Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver (British ColumbiaMay 7, 2014
they had great corporate culture, inclusive interaction with principals, transparent with decision and friendly
Pros
great opportunity
Cons
corporation needs to build up their project team resources
General good outlook and positive
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BCApril 25, 2014
Was a great place to work. Lots of in house training and support. Good people to work with. Positive atmosphere.
Pros
good work schedule
Cons
volitile with the price of coal
Toxic work culture slowly changing with advent of new employees
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BCApril 15, 2014
Started out as a bunch of grumpy, entitled, and jaded guys waiting for retirement. Management didn't help by advancing young, sometimes cocky, workers that had the same last names as those in high places. With more new hires that appreciate the job and the location the culture is slowly changing for the better.
Pros
close to towns with great lifestyle opportunities.
Cons
negative work culture
Excellent place to work
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BCFebruary 13, 2014
Teck/Fording River operations is a great place too work.I like my job there. I enjoy the type of work I do and I work with a great bunch of people.They pay me well and have great benefits.I personally don't like the type of shift they work.It is four days on and four days off and you have to switch from two day shifts to two night shifts every set.I would rather work seven and seven, seven days or seven nights.I would also prefer seven days off in a row as apposed to four.
Excellent Opportunities with emphasis on balance life
field process engineer co op (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BCFebruary 13, 2014
Working for this company has been extremely rewarding. The people I work with are extremely friendly and willing to go and explore not only new ideas but also new places. There are a lot of things to learn and they provide that environment for you.
Daily learning and fun workplace
Access Control Officer/Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BCJanuary 5, 2014
A typical day at work consist of signing in and out contractors, checking up to date orientations and safety tickets, doing orientations, daily and weekly safety equipment checks, answer the radio, telephone and direct the access gates. Enter data lodge, escorting contractors on site. Vehicle inspections, vehicle searches.
First aid administered when needed. Mine rescue training.

What I have learned would be leadership within my team mates.
Enhanced my work skills, computer skills and social skills.

Management was a group of co-workers that are open to any suggestions or any questions.

My co-workers were the best team members anyone could ask for.
We had amazing communication between all of us, trust and respect between all co-workers.

The hardest part of my job would be leaving my position within the company.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be the schedule and my co-workers.
Pros
working in a very good work enviroment
Cons
no benefits
Great co-workers
Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCDecember 3, 2013
my typical work day starts at our tailgate meeting where I get assigned my 830 haul truck ,and put on all my PPE, then I proceed up the hill to my haul truck to start my pre check on my haul truck. checking all the fluids , parts and for any damage. from there I fill out my FLRA. after all my checks and paperwork is done I am on my way to the shovel to get my first load. after loaded I then proceed to the dump location. where I follow all the proper procedures while at the dump site.
-I learned so much working at tech, just driving an 830 haul truck in a safe productive manner. and being trained on the simulator what do in case of a fire or if you lose your brakes etc.
-the best part of the job was by far my co-workers and all my foreman
-hardest part of the job was driving in the winters down steep roads
-the most enjoyable part of the job was working with my crew
Pros
great foremans
Cons
not enough pay, not stable
Assuming roles
Accountant, Finance (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 29, 2013
Trained with the independency to tackle issues and analysis, and bring it to the team for disucssion and problem-solving.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
workload
Excellent place to work
Equipment operator (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BC.October 26, 2013
I have enjoyed my time at Teck very much. we work 4 and 4, 12 hour shifts.
Pros
safety
Cons
salary
I enjoy the comradeship, but the switching of days to night shifts in 24 hours is difficult.
Heavy Equipment Operator 3 (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BCSeptember 9, 2013
It's not until one is away from work,(on holidays at the present time), that you realize many of the typical things at work you actually miss. I enjoy being productive and safe along with the comradery. Typically, I mostly operated truck which seemed to be my niche as it is what equipment I enjoy the most. I aslo take pride in my ability to always keep the truck running safely and in the process keep myself and everyone around me safe. Since I have been working in the mining field now for 17 years, I have seen fellow workers graduate to the management level. As a result, from experience, I have seen both what they often go through. Management is happy if you do your work safely and properly, and stemming from that knowledge, I have never had problems with management in the past. Even though I enjoy time by myself in activities outside of work, I love to have fun with others and I hope that would include everyone from ordinary workers to the highest management. Easily the hardest part of the job to me is transitioning from a day shift to the night shift in 24 hours with our two day, two night shift setup. Easily the most enjoyable part of the job is making new friends and the social aspect of enjoying many different types of people.
Pros
the comradeship
Cons
the switching from day shift to night shift in 24 hours
Good and exciting work environment
Process Plant Laborer (Summer Student) (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCAugust 20, 2013
I only worked for Teck for a short time during the summer but it was a great experience and co-workers were all good.
I would like to work there again one day if the right career opportunity presented itself.
Pros
friendly environment, safety first, formidable managment communication
Cons
no overtime for summer students
Good work/Life Balance
contractor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 7, 2013
Good people to work with. Safety is their number one priority. Never really had to work overtime with them.
Pros
edo's
good place to work not enough pay
Instrument Tech. (Current Employee) –  TrailJune 2, 2013
I love working hear but am finding it tough to do financially.
Pros
great co workers, lots of experinced people, good moral
Cons
not enough pay
productive
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BCJune 2, 2013
ver busy, fixing mechanicl/eletrical/hydrualic/eletronics/ hnuematics on mining equipment
Worst management ever encountered
H D Mechanic/ Field Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCApril 30, 2013
The work was good and my fellow mechanics were all good people but the allmighty $ comes first with this company and probably the worst management I have ever been involved with
Pros
good fellow employees
Cons
they need to look after their employees a lot better than they do

4.2