Teck Mining Employee Reviews

Daily learning and fun workplace
Access Control Officer/Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BC5 January 2014
A typical day at work consist of signing in and out contractors, checking up to date orientations and safety tickets, doing orientations, daily and weekly safety equipment checks, answer the radio, telephone and direct the access gates. Enter data lodge, escorting contractors on site. Vehicle inspections, vehicle searches.
First aid administered when needed. Mine rescue training.

What I have learned would be leadership within my team mates.
Enhanced my work skills, computer skills and social skills.

Management was a group of co-workers that are open to any suggestions or any questions.

My co-workers were the best team members anyone could ask for.
We had amazing communication between all of us, trust and respect between all co-workers.

The hardest part of my job would be leaving my position within the company.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be the schedule and my co-workers.
Pros
working in a very good work enviroment
Cons
no benefits
Great Comapny
Materials Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC26 October 2015
At this time Teck is going through some instability , hence my 4 star review regarding; job security etc. In better times this company should be a standard for how others treat their employees.
Pros
Every second Friday off, excellent benefits package. Safety is #1.
dirty job
Welder (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC9 March 2016
this job was good, it tot you about the heavy equipment,managements is ok i enjoy work with coworkers the comradaire,biggest task was the size and weight of everything,the complication was that gave you pride
Great money, great work-life balance but unimaginative bosses
Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver BC15 May 2012
Great money, great work-life balance but unimaginative bosses

Pros:Money. Work-Life

Cons: Poor management, lack of clear career advancement
Pros
money. work-life
Cons
poor management, lack of clear career advancement
Toxic work culture slowly changing with advent of new employees
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BC15 April 2014
Started out as a bunch of grumpy, entitled, and jaded guys waiting for retirement. Management didn't help by advancing young, sometimes cocky, workers that had the same last names as those in high places. With more new hires that appreciate the job and the location the culture is slowly changing for the better.
Pros
Close to towns with great lifestyle opportunities.
Cons
Negative work culture
Poor morale. Depressing environment.
Mine ops (Former Employee) –  Sparwood22 August 2015
Extremely poor morale.

Pay is descent: 80-100,000 to start. Good benefits after 1 year. Stay as casual employee until they decide to give you full time. As casual you can be laid off at any time, and no benefits.

Foreman are inexperienced, lazy, and entitled.

Favouritism is a major problem.

You won't get anywhere unless your drinking buddies with the foreman.

Your rarely thanked for you're work, and the minute you make a small mistake you're treated like a criminal.

Most foreman don't set a good example of work ethic and take advantage of there positions.

No camp

If you don't live in Elkford or Starwood expect to pay $750 for mediocre 1 bed apartment.

No travel pay

14 hr days(paid for 12) 4 on 4 off, 2 night shifts.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Too many to list.
Great company all around
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC9 September 2014
The work was interesting and challenging. Management was fair. Salary/Benefits were above average. EDO schedule allows for long weekends and Teck supports the work/life balance
TECK provides an excellent work enviroment
Maintenance Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC12 April 2016
TECK has provided me with an exceptional work environment which has provided me with growth and job satisfaction. While working at their R&D facility it has provided me with a broader skill set.
Friendly and efficient workplace
Accredited Payables Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BC27 August 2012
There is a heavy and fairly challenging workload day to day. There is a lot of interracxting with vendors and co workers. I have leared a variety of communcation, organization and administrative tasks such as: effective communication, people skills, the importance of meeting deadlines, attention to detail and multi tasking. I work with a great group of people who make my current job a wonderful place to be and for a great company as well. The hardest part of the job is meeting deadlines in timely manner and managing multiple tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job is completeing these tasks and being able to take pride in a job well done.
Pros
great people, great benefits :)
Test Lead
Test Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 May 2014
Participated in projects planning by reviewing, analyzing and clarifying the business requirements and prototype creation in an agile environment
• Identified opportunities for process improvement, developing and suggesting solutions
• Recommended value-added changes in the various phases of the tender process that enhanced the overall efficiency of the process
• Managed requirements traceability
• Performed risk analysis, defined assumptions and constraints for monthly release
• Performed analysis for proposed solutions
• Reviewed functional requirements and assessed test cases
• Standardized QA standards and practices across teams
• Defined testing scope, goals, risks, entrance/Exit criteria for monthly release
• Facilitated lesson-learned meetings
• Configured and managed Quality Center usage for test asset management, reporting and usability
• Managed and supported Smoke, SNIFF, FIT , SIT and UAT test phases
• Mentored testing resources and resolved any issues faced by team
not a good experience for me
Process Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Logan Lake, BC29 January 2015
not going back....poor boss, very clicky, lied to. did not find the management staff to be good leaders. was mislead, and misrepresented,
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
poor managment, old thinking.
Excellent place to work
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BC13 February 2014
Teck/Fording River operations is a great place too work.I like my job there. I enjoy the type of work I do and I work with a great bunch of people.They pay me well and have great benefits.I personally don't like the type of shift they work.It is four days on and four days off and you have to switch from two day shifts to two night shifts every set.I would rather work seven and seven, seven days or seven nights.I would also prefer seven days off in a row as apposed to four.
not a bad place to work just not for everyone
Haul Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BC3 June 2015
they can keep you as a temp for as long as they want which means no benefits and only temp wage which seems like a scam to me.

also no matter how much experience you have you start on haul truck which again isn't bad but to progress you have to bid on jobs and people with more seniority will get preference over you so your usually stuck to haul truck for along time
Pros
good retirerment package
Cons
long temp period
Vitaliy Zhydkykh
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BC11 June 2014
Always stay alert and open minded.
Respect others.
Be aware of surroundings.
Treat others the way you want to be treated.
Always looking for Advancement
Always looking for ways to get better and learn something new every day.
Hardest part of the job is when you don't get proper training and communication before task.
Most enjoyable is working with people and outdoors as well as everyday challenges
Pros
Full time employement
Cons
Being away from Family
poor morale due to poor leadership
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BC15 August 2015
hard to complete jobs when company wont order parts and when they do they are usually wrong or get lost in the system most enjoyable is the co workers hardest is dealing with not having enough to do management suggest unsafe practises i have learned alot about rigging and that there are better places to work than here
Best practices implementation, safety and optimal resources use.
Information Systems Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC22 August 2015
Excellent work environment.
Team work always quick, reasonable and effective.
Promotion of health and safety in all activities in work conditions and off work.
Great office resources, equipment and technology.
one of my favorite jobs and learned lots about IT/IS Audit process
Coordinator, IS Governance Office (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 July 2012
-meeting and interviewing with various IT/IS departments and gather audit related data.
-enter data into database, coordinate details that support specifice COBIT policy
-develop data gathering file folders in Outlook for participants.
-meet with management, auditors, contractors to prepare data for External and Internal Audit team.
-attend weekly meetings with senior managment with updates on Audit readiness.
-gather MS PowerPoint data and prepare presenations for senior management.
-setup user access controls for new hires on behalf of HR.
-run daily/weekly/monthly reports on user access to systems,data and physical building/office access.
-Learned about formal IS Governance policies, Audit Control, Data Security, presentations, Mining industry.
-very knowledgeable management about the industry and how IT/IS works to support it.
-highly trained and subject matter experts in IS/IT and the mining industry.
-hardest part of the job was being Audit Ready in very tight timelines.
-most enjoyable part was learning about a new industry.
Pros
working with highly experienced, mature team
Cons
hired by elk valley coal, bought out by teck coal
Good training and place to work.Ability to advance. Had to leave for family reasons, elderly parents(in-laws). Need to be closer to home. No camp .
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC25 October 2014
Good training and place to work. Ability to advance. Had to leave for family reasons, elderly parents (in-laws). Need to be closer to home.
No camp available.
Pros
Good wages, atmosphere, safety culture and equipment
Cons
4x4 split shift not allowing ability to travel home
Teck Resources is a great company to work for...
Mine Geologist (Current Employee) –  Duck Pond Mine Millertown, Newfoundland30 April 2015
Been working for Teck for approximately 7 1/2 years now and would stay with the company if the Duck Pond Mine was not shutting down this summer. It has been a great place to work and the people here are just great. Great benefits and the companies commitment to safety is just unreal....
Good and exciting work environment
Process Plant Laborer (Summer Student) (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC20 August 2013
I only worked for Teck for a short time during the summer but it was a great experience and co-workers were all good.
I would like to work there again one day if the right career opportunity presented itself.
Pros
Friendly environment, safety first, formidable managment communication
Cons
no overtime for summer students

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teck Mining. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2