Teck Mining Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BCFebruary 13, 2014
Teck/Fording River operations is a great place too work.I like my job there. I enjoy the type of work I do and I work with a great bunch of people.They pay me well and have great benefits.I personally don't like the type of shift they work.It is four days on and four days off and you have to switch from two day shifts to two night shifts every set.I would rather work seven and seven, seven days or seven nights.I would also prefer seven days off in a row as apposed to four.
Great Job Great place to Work
Heavy Haul Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BCApril 24, 2015
Love the job but nowhere to live for my family, the company is great, excellent wage and benefits but housing is a HUGE problem if your not single.
Pros
excellent wage and benefits
Cons
No housing
i love to drive
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BCApril 29, 2015
I had run the rejects from the plant for last 3 yrs. u pull under this big bin and pull a chain.the truck fills up with roughly 240 tonnes of waste rock.then I drove to spoil or grader occasionaly. from plant to spoil and back to plant was roughly 35 minutes.I learned to drive all the trucks at mine 930 katmatsu,s 830 katmatsu,s the new CAT trucks the old CAT trucks and the small wiggle wagons.I enjoyed my fellow workers.Hardest part of job was comeing down the mountain in winter on the nyt shift.you really had to stay focused on the changing road condition.Enjoyable part was the driving I love driving :)
Pros
driveing
Cons
cant think of any cons.
Vitaliy Zhydkykh
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BCJune 11, 2014
Always stay alert and open minded.
Respect others.
Be aware of surroundings.
Treat others the way you want to be treated.
Always looking for Advancement
Always looking for ways to get better and learn something new every day.
Hardest part of the job is when you don't get proper training and communication before task.
Most enjoyable is working with people and outdoors as well as everyday challenges
Pros
full time employement
Cons
being away from family
Good training and place to work.Ability to advance. Had to leave for family reasons, elderly parents(in-laws). Need to be closer to home. No camp .
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BCOctober 25, 2014
Good training and place to work. Ability to advance. Had to leave for family reasons, elderly parents (in-laws). Need to be closer to home.
No camp available.
Pros
good wages, atmosphere, safety culture and equipment
Cons
4x4 split shift not allowing ability to travel home
one of my favorite jobs and learned lots about IT/IS Audit process
Coordinator, IS Governance Office (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 4, 2012
-meeting and interviewing with various IT/IS departments and gather audit related data.
-enter data into database, coordinate details that support specifice COBIT policy
-develop data gathering file folders in Outlook for participants.
-meet with management, auditors, contractors to prepare data for External and Internal Audit team.
-attend weekly meetings with senior managment with updates on Audit readiness.
-gather MS PowerPoint data and prepare presenations for senior management.
-setup user access controls for new hires on behalf of HR.
-run daily/weekly/monthly reports on user access to systems,data and physical building/office access.
-Learned about formal IS Governance policies, Audit Control, Data Security, presentations, Mining industry.
-very knowledgeable management about the industry and how IT/IS works to support it.
-highly trained and subject matter experts in IS/IT and the mining industry.
-hardest part of the job was being Audit Ready in very tight timelines.
-most enjoyable part was learning about a new industry.
Pros
working with highly experienced, mature team
Cons
hired by elk valley coal, bought out by teck coal
Senior managment treated you poorly
Warehouse Person (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BCFebruary 24, 2015
Good place to work if you just went to work and didn't by in to the company bull. Pretended there was a safety culture but when it came down to it there was none.
Pros
vacation
Cons
managment
Great Business Experience
Corporate Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 12, 2015
I was promoted from an administrative role into my position as a Corporate Accounting Clerk. This role provided me with a great opportunity to develop my business skills, and I was encouraged to further my education by taking courses in accounting and Microsoft applications. My coworkers were helpful and supportive, however there was often a scarcity of support during busy times.
Good and exciting work environment
Process Plant Laborer (Summer Student) (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCAugust 20, 2013
I only worked for Teck for a short time during the summer but it was a great experience and co-workers were all good.
I would like to work there again one day if the right career opportunity presented itself.
Pros
friendly environment, safety first, formidable managment communication
Cons
no overtime for summer students
Excellent Company to work for.
Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BCMay 19, 2014
Cover the theory, simulator training and field training.
Learned Courage's Leadership.
Management was very open to idea's.
Co-workers excellent people to work with, very open to suggestions.
Their were hard parts to the job.
Working with everyone.
I enjoy the comradeship, but the switching of days to night shifts in 24 hours is difficult.
Heavy Equipment Operator 3 (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BCSeptember 9, 2013
It's not until one is away from work,(on holidays at the present time), that you realize many of the typical things at work you actually miss. I enjoy being productive and safe along with the comradery. Typically, I mostly operated truck which seemed to be my niche as it is what equipment I enjoy the most. I aslo take pride in my ability to always keep the truck running safely and in the process keep myself and everyone around me safe. Since I have been working in the mining field now for 17 years, I have seen fellow workers graduate to the management level. As a result, from experience, I have seen both what they often go through. Management is happy if you do your work safely and properly, and stemming from that knowledge, I have never had problems with management in the past. Even though I enjoy time by myself in activities outside of work, I love to have fun with others and I hope that would include everyone from ordinary workers to the highest management. Easily the hardest part of the job to me is transitioning from a day shift to the night shift in 24 hours with our two day, two night shift setup. Easily the most enjoyable part of the job is making new friends and the social aspect of enjoying many different types of people.
Pros
the comradeship
Cons
the switching from day shift to night shift in 24 hours
Worst management ever encountered
H D Mechanic/ Field Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCApril 30, 2013
The work was good and my fellow mechanics were all good people but the allmighty $ comes first with this company and probably the worst management I have ever been involved with
Pros
good fellow employees
Cons
they need to look after their employees a lot better than they do
Great co-workers
Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCDecember 3, 2013
my typical work day starts at our tailgate meeting where I get assigned my 830 haul truck ,and put on all my PPE, then I proceed up the hill to my haul truck to start my pre check on my haul truck. checking all the fluids , parts and for any damage. from there I fill out my FLRA. after all my checks and paperwork is done I am on my way to the shovel to get my first load. after loaded I then proceed to the dump location. where I follow all the proper procedures while at the dump site.
-I learned so much working at tech, just driving an 830 haul truck in a safe productive manner. and being trained on the simulator what do in case of a fire or if you lose your brakes etc.
-the best part of the job was by far my co-workers and all my foreman
-hardest part of the job was driving in the winters down steep roads
-the most enjoyable part of the job was working with my crew
Pros
great foremans
Cons
not enough pay, not stable
Great corporate culture
Sr. Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver (British ColumbiaMay 7, 2014
they had great corporate culture, inclusive interaction with principals, transparent with decision and friendly
Pros
great opportunity
Cons
corporation needs to build up their project team resources
Excellent place to work
Equipment operator (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BC.October 26, 2013
I have enjoyed my time at Teck very much. we work 4 and 4, 12 hour shifts.
Pros
safety
Cons
salary
Poor management
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  SparwoodMay 30, 2014
Poor management and depressing working environment. Great co-workers.
Excellent Opportunities with emphasis on balance life
field process engineer co op (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BCFebruary 13, 2014
Working for this company has been extremely rewarding. The people I work with are extremely friendly and willing to go and explore not only new ideas but also new places. There are a lot of things to learn and they provide that environment for you.
Fun
Courses, First aid, Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Sparwood BCJanuary 31, 2015
Working for teck is fun, lots of good people, good morals, safety minded, and most of all the lifestyle Teck has given me.
General good outlook and positive
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BCApril 25, 2014
Was a great place to work. Lots of in house training and support. Good people to work with. Positive atmosphere.
Pros
good work schedule
Cons
volitile with the price of coal
Coal Mining
OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCSeptember 26, 2012
The one thing I truely miss about Teck Elkview Operations is my co-workers. There was great comradery amonst everyone and I felt my operating was appreciated.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
poor managment team

4.2