Teck Mining Employee Reviews

Challenging workplace, in a good way
Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sparwood BC31 October 2016
Working for Teck has given me the feeling of being a valuable asset to the company. More importantly, an important part of a team. Challenging meaning positive term for the workplace. My skills are challenged and expanded.
Pros
Room for advancement
Cons
Schedule (5x2)
Teck Coal
Coop Student (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC21 October 2016
Teck Coal is an amazing company, I spend a year of my coop internship there and the people are simply the best.

Located near one of the best ski hills in Canada, Fernie. Teck Coal owns several large mine sites and depending which site you work for, there are just spectacular views every day.

Awesome Culture, which promotes safey in every aspect of work, work life balance and earned days off (EDOs).
Pros
EDOs
Cons
Must relocate
Great operations people. Difficult to advance without higher education.
Geological Technician (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC17 October 2016
Teck Coal is an efficient and well run operation. The people on the ground, working in the pits are some of the best men and women I have worked with. People who overstep their authority are dealt with quickly. New approaches and ideas are sometimes not given a chance to succeed.
Pros
Benefits package is very good.
Cons
The corporate culture can be difficult to adjust to.
Poorly managed unhealthy work place
Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  Trail, BC8 August 2016
Teck is operating under the management of seniority figures not necessarily qualification. The effluents produced plant wide are incredibly hazardous to employee health and the surrounding human and animal environments. The years in operation have shown little progress towards making significant improvements to bring the site wide technology and health safety standards up to 21st century. Production trumps all.
Pros
Location.
Current responsibilities
Senior Cost Analyst (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BC18 July 2016
• Lead budget process for mine site and work with other departments to ensure we meet the mine site and corporate requirements (Annual Spending around $300M)
• Lead month end process at mine site and ensure all site reports meets corporate deadlines (Average monthly spending of $25M)
• Review monthly statements prepared by Shared Services and ensure all mine site spending is accurate and meets IFRS standards.
• Report on monthly KPI performance to Internal Stakeholders and provide commentary on key variances to budget/forecast.
• Facilitate monthly cost/forecast meetings with department heads, highlight key variances and opportunities for improvement.
• Lead forecast process at mine site and report site/capital spending for the next 12 months
• Identify process and system issues happening at site, and implementing ways to improve
• Educate departments through training presentations on key issues and ways to prevent problems from occurring in AX
• Prepare Budget, Quarterly, and Financial Presentations
• Responsible for the Payroll team that prepares payroll for over 500 employees.
Experienced professional, pro-active, able to adapt and relate.
IT Auditor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 April 2016
Teck is a wonderful place to work, there is work life balance and exposure to highly complex systems. Lots of travelling within North and South Americas - excellent experience.
TECK provides an excellent work enviroment
Maintenance Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC12 April 2016
TECK has provided me with an exceptional work environment which has provided me with growth and job satisfaction. While working at their R&D facility it has provided me with a broader skill set.
Good Wages- Keep workers casual for a long time
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC14 March 2016
Was a haul truck operator at Teck, wages and work schedule are good. living in the valley was great.
Was kept on casual for 9 months without benefits or access to bonus's etc.
Pros
Good wages, 4x4 schedule
Cons
Long hours, not paid for travel
dirty job
Welder (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC9 March 2016
this job was good, it tot you about the heavy equipment,managements is ok i enjoy work with coworkers the comradaire,biggest task was the size and weight of everything,the complication was that gave you pride
Great Comapny
Materials Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC26 October 2015
At this time Teck is going through some instability , hence my 4 star review regarding; job security etc. In better times this company should be a standard for how others treat their employees.
Pros
Every second Friday off, excellent benefits package. Safety is #1.
Corporate and stressed envirornment
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 August 2015
1st and 2nd line support-troubleshooting of IT related problems from in-house software to hardware, such as Blackberry’s, iPhones, Laptops, PCs and Printers.
Receiving, logging and managing calls from internal staff via telephone and email.
Escalate unresolved calls to the infrastructure support team
Cons
Shift Rotation, Unbalanced workload
Poor morale. Depressing environment.
Mine ops (Former Employee) –  Sparwood22 August 2015
Extremely poor morale.

Pay is descent: 80-100,000 to start. Good benefits after 1 year. Stay as casual employee until they decide to give you full time. As casual you can be laid off at any time, and no benefits.

Foreman are inexperienced, lazy, and entitled.

Favouritism is a major problem.

You won't get anywhere unless your drinking buddies with the foreman.

Your rarely thanked for you're work, and the minute you make a small mistake you're treated like a criminal.

Most foreman don't set a good example of work ethic and take advantage of there positions.

No camp

If you don't live in Elkford or Starwood expect to pay $750 for mediocre 1 bed apartment.

No travel pay

14 hr days(paid for 12) 4 on 4 off, 2 night shifts.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Too many to list.
Best practices implementation, safety and optimal resources use.
Information Systems Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC22 August 2015
Excellent work environment.
Team work always quick, reasonable and effective.
Promotion of health and safety in all activities in work conditions and off work.
Great office resources, equipment and technology.
poor morale due to poor leadership
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BC15 August 2015
hard to complete jobs when company wont order parts and when they do they are usually wrong or get lost in the system most enjoyable is the co workers hardest is dealing with not having enough to do management suggest unsafe practises i have learned alot about rigging and that there are better places to work than here
Equitable Employer
Occupational Health Nurse (Temp.) (Current Employee) –  Hinton, AB27 July 2015
Unionized/ Non-unionized, competitive pension and benefits. Travel and shiftwork requirements relative to worksite. Supportive leadership team, safety personnel, department and management. Teck aims to be a leader in health, safety and environment.
not a bad place to work just not for everyone
Haul Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BC3 June 2015
they can keep you as a temp for as long as they want which means no benefits and only temp wage which seems like a scam to me.

also no matter how much experience you have you start on haul truck which again isn't bad but to progress you have to bid on jobs and people with more seniority will get preference over you so your usually stuck to haul truck for along time
Pros
good retirerment package
Cons
long temp period
Great Business Experience
Corporate Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 May 2015
I was promoted from an administrative role into my position as a Corporate Accounting Clerk. This role provided me with a great opportunity to develop my business skills, and I was encouraged to further my education by taking courses in accounting and Microsoft applications. My coworkers were helpful and supportive, however there was often a scarcity of support during busy times.
Teck Resources is a great company to work for...
Mine Geologist (Current Employee) –  Duck Pond Mine Millertown, Newfoundland30 April 2015
Been working for Teck for approximately 7 1/2 years now and would stay with the company if the Duck Pond Mine was not shutting down this summer. It has been a great place to work and the people here are just great. Great benefits and the companies commitment to safety is just unreal....
i love to drive
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC29 April 2015
I had run the rejects from the plant for last 3 yrs. u pull under this big bin and pull a chain.the truck fills up with roughly 240 tonnes of waste rock.then I drove to spoil or grader occasionaly. from plant to spoil and back to plant was roughly 35 minutes.I learned to drive all the trucks at mine 930 katmatsu,s 830 katmatsu,s the new CAT trucks the old CAT trucks and the small wiggle wagons.I enjoyed my fellow workers.Hardest part of job was comeing down the mountain in winter on the nyt shift.you really had to stay focused on the changing road condition.Enjoyable part was the driving I love driving :)
Pros
driveing
Cons
cant think of any cons.
Great Job Great place to Work
Heavy Haul Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BC24 April 2015
Love the job but nowhere to live for my family, the company is great, excellent wage and benefits but housing is a HUGE problem if your not single.
Pros
excellent wage and benefits
Cons
No housing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teck Mining. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2