Teck Mining

Teck Mining Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent place to work
Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Elkford, BCFebruary 13, 2014
Teck/Fording River operations is a great place too work.I like my job there. I enjoy the type of work I do and I work with a great bunch of people.They pay me well and have great benefits.I personally don't like the type of shift they work.It is four days on and four days off and you have to switch from two day shifts to two night shifts every set.I – more... would rather work seven and seven, seven days or seven nights.I would also prefer seven days off in a row as apposed to four. – less
Excellent Opportunities with emphasis on balance life
field process engineer co op (Former Employee), Elkford, BCFebruary 13, 2014
Working for this company has been extremely rewarding. The people I work with are extremely friendly and willing to go and explore not only new ideas but also new places. There are a lot of things to learn and they provide that environment for you.
Daily learning and fun workplace
Access Control Officer/Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee), Tumbler Ridge, BCJanuary 5, 2014
Pros: working in a very good work enviroment
Cons: no benefits
A typical day at work consist of signing in and out contractors, checking up to date orientations and safety tickets, doing orientations, daily and weekly safety equipment checks, answer the radio, telephone and direct the access gates. Enter data lodge, escorting contractors on site. Vehicle inspections, vehicle searches.
First aid administered when – more... needed. Mine rescue training.

What I have learned would be leadership within my team mates.
Enhanced my work skills, computer skills and social skills.

Management was a group of co-workers that are open to any suggestions or any questions.

My co-workers were the best team members anyone could ask for.
We had amazing communication between all of us, trust and respect between all co-workers.

The hardest part of my job would be leaving my position within the company.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be the schedule and my co-workers. – less
Great co-workers
Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee), Sparwood, BCDecember 3, 2013
Pros: great foremans
Cons: not enough pay, not stable
my typical work day starts at our tailgate meeting where I get assigned my 830 haul truck ,and put on all my PPE, then I proceed up the hill to my haul truck to start my pre check on my haul truck. checking all the fluids , parts and for any damage. from there I fill out my FLRA. after all my checks and paperwork is done I am on my way to the shovel – more... to get my first load. after loaded I then proceed to the dump location. where I follow all the proper procedures while at the dump site.
-I learned so much working at tech, just driving an 830 haul truck in a safe productive manner. and being trained on the simulator what do in case of a fire or if you lose your brakes etc.
-the best part of the job was by far my co-workers and all my foreman
-hardest part of the job was driving in the winters down steep roads
-the most enjoyable part of the job was working with my crew – less
Assuming roles
Accountant, Finance (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 29, 2013
Pros: autonomy
Cons: workload
Trained with the independency to tackle issues and analysis, and bring it to the team for disucssion and problem-solving.
Excellent place to work
Equipment operator (Current Employee), Sparwood, BC.October 26, 2013
Pros: safety
Cons: salary
I have enjoyed my time at Teck very much. we work 4 and 4, 12 hour shifts.
I enjoy the comradeship, but the switching of days to night shifts in 24 hours is difficult.
Heavy Equipment Operator 3 (Current Employee), Elkford, BCSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: the comradeship
Cons: the switching from day shift to night shift in 24 hours
It's not until one is away from work,(on holidays at the present time), that you realize many of the typical things at work you actually miss. I enjoy being productive and safe along with the comradery. Typically, I mostly operated truck which seemed to be my niche as it is what equipment I enjoy the most. I aslo take pride in my ability to always keep – more... the truck running safely and in the process keep myself and everyone around me safe. Since I have been working in the mining field now for 17 years, I have seen fellow workers graduate to the management level. As a result, from experience, I have seen both what they often go through. Management is happy if you do your work safely and properly, and stemming from that knowledge, I have never had problems with management in the past. Even though I enjoy time by myself in activities outside of work, I love to have fun with others and I hope that would include everyone from ordinary workers to the highest management. Easily the hardest part of the job to me is transitioning from a day shift to the night shift in 24 hours with our two day, two night shift setup. Easily the most enjoyable part of the job is making new friends and the social aspect of enjoying many different types of people. – less
Good and exciting work environment
Process Plant Laborer (Summer Student) (Former Employee), Sparwood, BCAugust 20, 2013
Pros: friendly environment, safety first, formidable managment communication
Cons: no overtime for summer students
I only worked for Teck for a short time during the summer but it was a great experience and co-workers were all good.
I would like to work there again one day if the right career opportunity presented itself.
Good work/Life Balance
contractor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 7, 2013
Pros: edo's
Good people to work with. Safety is their number one priority. Never really had to work overtime with them.
good place to work not enough pay
Instrument Tech. (Current Employee), TrailJune 2, 2013
Pros: great co workers, lots of experinced people, good moral
Cons: not enough pay
I love working hear but am finding it tough to do financially.
Worst management ever encountered
H D Mechanic/ Field Mechanic (Former Employee), Sparwood, BCApril 30, 2013
Pros: good fellow employees
Cons: they need to look after their employees a lot better than they do
The work was good and my fellow mechanics were all good people but the allmighty $ comes first with this company and probably the worst management I have ever been involved with
Fun workplace! Hands-on experience
Maintenance/Mechanical Engineer - Intern (Former Employee), Elkford, BCMarch 25, 2013
-Awesome place to work at!
-Everyone was very kind and helpful
-Hands-on experience
-Experienced different stages of projects
Coal Mining
OPERATOR (Former Employee), Sparwood, BCSeptember 26, 2012
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: poor managment team
The one thing I truely miss about Teck Elkview Operations is my co-workers. There was great comradery amonst everyone and I felt my operating was appreciated.
Friendly and efficient workplace
Accredited Payables Specialist (Current Employee), Sparwood, BCAugust 27, 2012
Pros: great people, great benefits :)
There is a heavy and fairly challenging workload day to day. There is a lot of interracxting with vendors and co workers. I have leared a variety of communcation, organization and administrative tasks such as: effective communication, people skills, the importance of meeting deadlines, attention to detail and multi tasking. I work with a great group – more... of people who make my current job a wonderful place to be and for a great company as well. The hardest part of the job is meeting deadlines in timely manner and managing multiple tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job is completeing these tasks and being able to take pride in a job well done. – less
Good place with good advancement oppurtunity
Jr. Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCAugust 14, 2012
Pros: free lunches
Enjoyable environment, unfortunately mostly contracted work.
one of my favorite jobs and learned lots about IT/IS Audit process
Coordinator, IS Governance Office (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 4, 2012
Pros: working with highly experienced, mature team
Cons: hired by elk valley coal, bought out by teck coal
-meeting and interviewing with various IT/IS departments and gather audit related data.
-enter data into database, coordinate details that support specifice COBIT policy
-develop data gathering file folders in Outlook for participants.
-meet with management, auditors, contractors to prepare data for External and Internal Audit team.
-attend weekly meetings – more... with senior managment with updates on Audit readiness.
-gather MS PowerPoint data and prepare presenations for senior management.
-setup user access controls for new hires on behalf of HR.
-run daily/weekly/monthly reports on user access to systems,data and physical building/office access.
-Learned about formal IS Governance policies, Audit Control, Data Security, presentations, Mining industry.
-very knowledgeable management about the industry and how IT/IS works to support it.
-highly trained and subject matter experts in IS/IT and the mining industry.
-hardest part of the job was being Audit Ready in very tight timelines.
-most enjoyable part was learning about a new industry. – less
Great money, great work-life balance but unimaginative bosses
Operations Analyst (Current Employee), Vancouver BCMay 15, 2012
Pros: money. work-life
Cons: poor management, lack of clear career advancement
Great money, great work-life balance but unimaginative bosses

Pros:Money. Work-Life

Cons: Poor management, lack of clear career advancement
Big mining company
Production/Process Engineer, Silver Refinery (Former Employee), Trail, BCJanuary 1, 2014
Lead and manage small-scale process improvement/development projects from inception to implementation.
productive
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee), Sparwood, BCJune 2, 2013
ver busy, fixing mechanicl/eletrical/hydrualic/eletronics/ hnuematics on mining equipment
We get hands on training all the time.
Mill Operator II (Current Employee), Red Dog Mine, AKApril 3, 2012
I think i have improve alot since working for Teck in Red Dog Mine. We get alot of training time for our jobs and its really good that we do cause in improves our skills.

About Teck Mining

Teck Resources Limited known as Teck Cominco until late 2008, is a Canadian metals and mining company. Canada's largest diversified – Read more