Teck Mining Employee Reviews

good crew to work with
heavy duty mechanic (Former Employee) –  Elk Valley bc21 June 2017
good working environment, termination was for personal reasons, I was not given any chance to stand up for myself, supervisor did not tell the truth of reason to be terminated
Pros
pay
Cons
terrible supervisors
Teck coal
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC6 June 2017
Overall working for Teck Coal Limited has been a pleasure. They are amazing company and they have given me so much. Not only have they given me, but my family is also employed by them. They helped me purchase my first home, my first vehicle etc. I have nothing but great things to say about them. I am sad to leave
Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC22 March 2017
Very busy place to work, co-workers were fantastic. I enjoyed the overall experience. Saddened by my layoff because my "term" was over. Training department was top notch.
Pros
Training was extensive
Cons
Very quick to dismiss a casual employee
I enjoyed working at this mine , the guys were all great to work with.
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Hinton, AB20 March 2017
My days were enjoyable because I enjoy my job as a hoe operator.
I learned that working with other ppl. that KNOW how to do their jobs correctly and safely is a bonus.
The management changed frequently, so it was hard to really get to see how they operated.
Teck's workplace culture is all about safety.
The hardest part of my job was listening to all of the radio chatter all day.
The bus ride home and chatting with your buddies.
Pros
4 on 4 off shift rotation was great. It left plenty of family time to go play.
Cons
Because I was a backhoe operator, i could not bid for other job postings.
A lot of unhappy employees and staff
Tradesman (Current Employee) –  Logan Lake, BC21 February 2017
Front line management is generally good to workers in the mill, with a few exceptions. The upper management is clueless to the best way to run the place costing a lot of time and money. It seems like upper management is chosen because of the ability to suck up and not as much on the knowledge of proper mining. People we work with are great, the pay is good with awesome benefits. Strong union which is why the pay and benefits are so good. But that also means that the lazy people get the same wage as you and do half the work. It starts to wear you down seeing someone sitting down doing nothing well you work your butt off.
Pros
Pay, Benefits and Being home every night
Cons
Poor upper management, Feel like just a number
Great company to work for...
IT Dept. (PC Analyst) (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC18 February 2017
Excellent company to work for, they take safety seriously.. to the point they've ingrained it into the culture.
I've worked for quite a few companies that say safety is there primary concern, that it's #1 but do nothing to physically show it outside of saying it.

Low stress, everyone is professional and does there jobs to the highest of standards.

The only downside was pay, they're a little behind the times when it comes to paying IT staff... by about 20K.
Pros
Bonuses, Incentives, Family Orientated, Invests in the Community.
Cons
IT Salary's are LOW
great place to work
Mill Electrician (Former Employee) –  Millertown, NL26 January 2017
Employees are treated excellent with great benefits. They support family life and safety is their top priority. It's a great place to learn new skills and enhance your job skills to take elsewhere into your future.
Pros
financial benefits
Cons
mill didn't run long enough
Great Company
Blender (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC19 January 2017
Totally gratefully for the given opportunity. Teck is very large company with many years in the market. Very solid and strong economics.
Pros
Cons
Persons are not really important to supervisors
Fair and Decent Employer
Health and Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 January 2017
This company is very well structured. Managers and supervisors are mostly educated and competent in what they do.

The company values education and experience; and helps employees gain them.

If you enjoy working hard and learning on the job, TECK can offer you a lot.

I enjoyed working with them and would work for them again if the opportunity arises.
Pros
Good Management, Good Benefits and Compensation Package
Cons
Volatile Commodity Prices Which can affect Job Security
good place to work
Haul truck driver (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC9 January 2017
good place to work, cool people and good benefits with a pretty decent work/home life. there is room for good advancements if your willing to work for it

Want to know more about Teck Mining?

Ask a question
Challenging and Rewarding
SERA Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2017
Working in the Environmental and Permitting department at Teck is both challenging and rewarding. Even the lower level positions generally involve a level of project management. Timelines are usually compressed and the projects complicated. Compensation is fair, but the work-life balance is usually compromised. Teck is focussed on creating environmentally sustainable operations.
Decent salary, terrible job security for new hires
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Trail, BC23 December 2016
Work environments were good but the job security was not. Was laid off during the commodity downturn after working for a year. Was also not compensated for overtime and laid off 2 days prior to being vested in my pension.
Pros
Decent salary
Cons
Shifty HR department
Equipment trainer
Haul truck driver (Former Employee) –  elk ford5 December 2016
Work life balance was good thoughout the job. Four days on and four off was nice. They provided a steady income. Working nights was the only challange
Pros
work rain or shine
Cons
Night shifts where difficult
Casual program is a joke
Haul Truck Operator/Pit Utility (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC14 November 2016
Not a great atmosphere... 4 on 4 off sounds better than it is , especially if you live out of town. First day off your bagged.. last day off your getting everything ready to go back to work, so ya only get 2 good days off.
Can keep you Casual for years, .. so ya cant get benefits or holidays. , ya think you have a career but you just never know when its gonna start.. not like a normal place where 3 months probation period.
Trucks can be very dangerous in muddy conditions.. someone is gonna get killed again up there.. they only preach safety when something bad happens
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Could write a book on all the Cons.
One of the best places i have worked
Engineer/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC14 November 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Teck and only left due to family obligations elsewhere. I would be more than happy to return should my personal circumstances allow.
Cons
Slow Career Progression
Challenging workplace, in a good way
Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sparwood BC31 October 2016
Working for Teck has given me the feeling of being a valuable asset to the company. More importantly, an important part of a team. Challenging meaning positive term for the workplace. My skills are challenged and expanded.
Pros
Room for advancement
Cons
Schedule (5x2)
Teck Coal
Coop Student (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC21 October 2016
Teck Coal is an amazing company, I spend a year of my coop internship there and the people are simply the best.

Located near one of the best ski hills in Canada, Fernie. Teck Coal owns several large mine sites and depending which site you work for, there are just spectacular views every day.

Awesome Culture, which promotes safey in every aspect of work, work life balance and earned days off (EDOs).
Pros
EDOs
Cons
Must relocate
Great operations people. Difficult to advance without higher education.
Geological Technician (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC17 October 2016
Teck Coal is an efficient and well run operation. The people on the ground, working in the pits are some of the best men and women I have worked with. People who overstep their authority are dealt with quickly. New approaches and ideas are sometimes not given a chance to succeed.
Pros
Benefits package is very good.
Cons
The corporate culture can be difficult to adjust to.
Poorly managed unhealthy work place
Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  Trail, BC8 August 2016
Teck is operating under the management of seniority figures not necessarily qualification. The effluents produced plant wide are incredibly hazardous to employee health and the surrounding human and animal environments. The years in operation have shown little progress towards making significant improvements to bring the site wide technology and health safety standards up to 21st century. Production trumps all.
Pros
Location.
Current responsibilities
Senior Cost Analyst (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BC18 July 2016
• Lead budget process for mine site and work with other departments to ensure we meet the mine site and corporate requirements (Annual Spending around $300M)
• Lead month end process at mine site and ensure all site reports meets corporate deadlines (Average monthly spending of $25M)
• Review monthly statements prepared by Shared Services and ensure all mine site spending is accurate and meets IFRS standards.
• Report on monthly KPI performance to Internal Stakeholders and provide commentary on key variances to budget/forecast.
• Facilitate monthly cost/forecast meetings with department heads, highlight key variances and opportunities for improvement.
• Lead forecast process at mine site and report site/capital spending for the next 12 months
• Identify process and system issues happening at site, and implementing ways to improve
• Educate departments through training presentations on key issues and ways to prevent problems from occurring in AX
• Prepare Budget, Quarterly, and Financial Presentations
• Responsible for the Payroll team that prepares payroll for over 500 employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teck Mining. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2