Teck Mining Employee Reviews

Good Wages- Keep workers casual for a long time
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCMarch 14, 2016
Was a haul truck operator at Teck, wages and work schedule are good. living in the valley was great.
Was kept on casual for 9 months without benefits or access to bonus's etc.
Pros
Good wages, 4x4 schedule
Cons
Long hours, not paid for travel
Poor morale. Depressing environment.
Mine ops (Former Employee) –  SparwoodAugust 22, 2015
Extremely poor morale.

Pay is descent: 80-100,000 to start. Good benefits after 1 year. Stay as casual employee until they decide to give you full time. As casual you can be laid off at any time, and no benefits.

Foreman are inexperienced, lazy, and entitled.

Favouritism is a major problem.

You won't get anywhere unless your drinking buddies with the foreman.

Your rarely thanked for you're work, and the minute you make a small mistake you're treated like a criminal.

Most foreman don't set a good example of work ethic and take advantage of there positions.

No camp

If you don't live in Elkford or Starwood expect to pay $750 for mediocre 1 bed apartment.

No travel pay

14 hr days(paid for 12) 4 on 4 off, 2 night shifts.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Too many to list.
Great Comapny
Materials Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCOctober 26, 2015
At this time Teck is going through some instability , hence my 4 star review regarding; job security etc. In better times this company should be a standard for how others treat their employees.
Pros
Every second Friday off, excellent benefits package. Safety is #1.
Poorly managed unhealthy work place
Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  Trail, BCAugust 8, 2016
Teck is operating under the management of seniority figures not necessarily qualification. The effluents produced plant wide are incredibly hazardous to employee health and the surrounding human and animal environments. The years in operation have shown little progress towards making significant improvements to bring the site wide technology and health safety standards up to 21st century. Production trumps all.
Pros
Location.
Equitable Employer
Occupational Health Nurse (Temp.) (Current Employee) –  Hinton, ABJuly 27, 2015
Unionized/ Non-unionized, competitive pension and benefits. Travel and shiftwork requirements relative to worksite. Supportive leadership team, safety personnel, department and management. Teck aims to be a leader in health, safety and environment.
not a bad place to work just not for everyone
Haul Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BCJune 3, 2015
they can keep you as a temp for as long as they want which means no benefits and only temp wage which seems like a scam to me.

also no matter how much experience you have you start on haul truck which again isn't bad but to progress you have to bid on jobs and people with more seniority will get preference over you so your usually stuck to haul truck for along time
Pros
good retirerment package
Cons
long temp period
dirty job
Welder (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BCMarch 9, 2016
this job was good, it tot you about the heavy equipment,managements is ok i enjoy work with coworkers the comradaire,biggest task was the size and weight of everything,the complication was that gave you pride
Experienced professional, pro-active, able to adapt and relate.
IT Auditor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 26, 2016
Teck is a wonderful place to work, there is work life balance and exposure to highly complex systems. Lots of travelling within North and South Americas - excellent experience.
Daily learning and fun workplace
Access Control Officer/Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BCJanuary 5, 2014
A typical day at work consist of signing in and out contractors, checking up to date orientations and safety tickets, doing orientations, daily and weekly safety equipment checks, answer the radio, telephone and direct the access gates. Enter data lodge, escorting contractors on site. Vehicle inspections, vehicle searches.
First aid administered when needed. Mine rescue training.

What I have learned would be leadership within my team mates.
Enhanced my work skills, computer skills and social skills.

Management was a group of co-workers that are open to any suggestions or any questions.

My co-workers were the best team members anyone could ask for.
We had amazing communication between all of us, trust and respect between all co-workers.

The hardest part of my job would be leaving my position within the company.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be the schedule and my co-workers.
Pros
working in a very good work enviroment
Cons
no benefits
TECK provides an excellent work enviroment
Maintenance Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCApril 12, 2016
TECK has provided me with an exceptional work environment which has provided me with growth and job satisfaction. While working at their R&D facility it has provided me with a broader skill set.
Friendly and efficient workplace
Accredited Payables Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BCAugust 27, 2012
There is a heavy and fairly challenging workload day to day. There is a lot of interracxting with vendors and co workers. I have leared a variety of communcation, organization and administrative tasks such as: effective communication, people skills, the importance of meeting deadlines, attention to detail and multi tasking. I work with a great group of people who make my current job a wonderful place to be and for a great company as well. The hardest part of the job is meeting deadlines in timely manner and managing multiple tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job is completeing these tasks and being able to take pride in a job well done.
Pros
great people, great benefits :)
Teck Resources is a great company to work for...
Mine Geologist (Current Employee) –  Duck Pond Mine Millertown, NewfoundlandApril 30, 2015
Been working for Teck for approximately 7 1/2 years now and would stay with the company if the Duck Pond Mine was not shutting down this summer. It has been a great place to work and the people here are just great. Great benefits and the companies commitment to safety is just unreal....
Excellent place to work
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BCFebruary 13, 2014
Teck/Fording River operations is a great place too work.I like my job there. I enjoy the type of work I do and I work with a great bunch of people.They pay me well and have great benefits.I personally don't like the type of shift they work.It is four days on and four days off and you have to switch from two day shifts to two night shifts every set.I would rather work seven and seven, seven days or seven nights.I would also prefer seven days off in a row as apposed to four.
Great Job Great place to Work
Heavy Haul Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BCApril 24, 2015
Love the job but nowhere to live for my family, the company is great, excellent wage and benefits but housing is a HUGE problem if your not single.
Pros
excellent wage and benefits
Cons
No housing
not a good experience for me
Process Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Logan Lake, BCJanuary 29, 2015
not going back....poor boss, very clicky, lied to. did not find the management staff to be good leaders. was mislead, and misrepresented,
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
poor managment, old thinking.
Great company all around
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCSeptember 9, 2014
The work was interesting and challenging. Management was fair. Salary/Benefits were above average. EDO schedule allows for long weekends and Teck supports the work/life balance
Best practices implementation, safety and optimal resources use.
Information Systems Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCAugust 22, 2015
Excellent work environment.
Team work always quick, reasonable and effective.
Promotion of health and safety in all activities in work conditions and off work.
Great office resources, equipment and technology.
poor morale due to poor leadership
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BCAugust 15, 2015
hard to complete jobs when company wont order parts and when they do they are usually wrong or get lost in the system most enjoyable is the co workers hardest is dealing with not having enough to do management suggest unsafe practises i have learned alot about rigging and that there are better places to work than here
Excellent place to work
Equipment operator (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BC.October 26, 2013
I have enjoyed my time at Teck very much. we work 4 and 4, 12 hour shifts.
Pros
safety
Cons
salary
Corporate and stressed envirornment
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 25, 2015
1st and 2nd line support-troubleshooting of IT related problems from in-house software to hardware, such as Blackberry’s, iPhones, Laptops, PCs and Printers.
Receiving, logging and managing calls from internal staff via telephone and email.
Escalate unresolved calls to the infrastructure support team
Cons
Shift Rotation, Unbalanced workload

4.2