Teck Mining Employee Reviews

Bad attitudes
Maintenance Foreman (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC27 September 2017
Classic example of Money can't buy happiness!
Iv'e never witnessed so people making 6 figures a year be so unhappy. I feel the company treats them okay, with a lot of bonuses and days off but it is a toxic environment to be in. Good Riddance!
Pros
top pay in the valley
Cons
unorganized management, bad culture
Haul Truck Operator - CAT 797, Komatsu 830 & 930 (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BC21 September 2017
Good place to work, benefits are excellent, offers some perks. Shift is difficult as it is 4 days on 4 days off, consisting of 2 days on 2 nights on 4 off.
Forward thinking company
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Trail BC13 September 2017
Great company to work for. Goal of the program was to promote the health and wellbeing of employees. The program was well fudded by the company. I would work for this company again. I was supervised by a committee of management and union. They worked together to ensure that my work environment was supportive so that I could do my job to the best of my ability.
Pros
Well funded and well received.
Cons
No where to move in that position carreer wise.
Nagative enviroment
Operator (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC14 August 2017
Its a negative place to work the management like to keep you scared that your job is on the line. They push new hires to run faster i fear there will be a serious incident. Moneys good.. 4 0n 4 off.. 2 days 2 nites is hard on your body and mind you live in a perpetual state of fatigue...
Pros
Money
Cons
Fatigue
gym,pool,darts,movies
Miner (Former Employee) –  Millertown Junction, NL12 August 2017
Teck was an great experience for me,I learn a lot about the mining company such as blasting,haul truck ,plus doing different jobs.The management was great there, health and safety was the main priority in Teck.It was a great place to work i enjoyed going to work everyday because of the friendly environment.
Pros
free meals
Cons
12 hours daily
overall good place to work
Haul Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BC29 June 2017
I've learned many skills in the mining industry. I enjoy the independence of being set on a task and working at achieving the task all day.
I have learned how to be comfortable around very large equipment.
Pros
wages and benefits
Cons
Hard to advance
good crew to work with
heavy duty mechanic (Former Employee) –  Elk Valley bc21 June 2017
good working environment, termination was for personal reasons, I was not given any chance to stand up for myself, supervisor did not tell the truth of reason to be terminated
Pros
pay
Cons
terrible supervisors
Good pay. Work conditions are very dirty/dusty from coal. Expected cross trade experience
Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Fernie, BC11 June 2017
Good place to work. Management is top heavy. Safety is upheld with the utmost discipline. Pay is good. Benefits are good. Pension needs to be better. Locals are preferred no camp
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Engineering degrees preferred for management advancement
Teck coal
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC6 June 2017
Overall working for Teck Coal Limited has been a pleasure. They are amazing company and they have given me so much. Not only have they given me, but my family is also employed by them. They helped me purchase my first home, my first vehicle etc. I have nothing but great things to say about them. I am sad to leave
Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC22 March 2017
Very busy place to work, co-workers were fantastic. I enjoyed the overall experience. Saddened by my layoff because my "term" was over. Training department was top notch.
Pros
Training was extensive
Cons
Very quick to dismiss a casual employee
I enjoyed working at this mine , the guys were all great to work with.
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Hinton, AB20 March 2017
My days were enjoyable because I enjoy my job as a hoe operator.
I learned that working with other ppl. that KNOW how to do their jobs correctly and safely is a bonus.
The management changed frequently, so it was hard to really get to see how they operated.
Teck's workplace culture is all about safety.
The hardest part of my job was listening to all of the radio chatter all day.
The bus ride home and chatting with your buddies.
Pros
4 on 4 off shift rotation was great. It left plenty of family time to go play.
Cons
Because I was a backhoe operator, i could not bid for other job postings.
A lot of unhappy employees and staff
Tradesman (Current Employee) –  Logan Lake, BC21 February 2017
Front line management is generally good to workers in the mill, with a few exceptions. The upper management is clueless to the best way to run the place costing a lot of time and money. It seems like upper management is chosen because of the ability to suck up and not as much on the knowledge of proper mining. People we work with are great, the pay is good with awesome benefits. Strong union which is why the pay and benefits are so good. But that also means that the lazy people get the same wage as you and do half the work. It starts to wear you down seeing someone sitting down doing nothing well you work your butt off.
Pros
Pay, Benefits and Being home every night
Cons
Poor upper management, Feel like just a number
Great company to work for...
IT Dept. (PC Analyst) (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC18 February 2017
Excellent company to work for, they take safety seriously.. to the point they've ingrained it into the culture.
I've worked for quite a few companies that say safety is there primary concern, that it's #1 but do nothing to physically show it outside of saying it.

Low stress, everyone is professional and does there jobs to the highest of standards.

The only downside was pay, they're a little behind the times when it comes to paying IT staff... by about 20K.
Pros
Bonuses, Incentives, Family Orientated, Invests in the Community.
Cons
IT Salary's are LOW
great place to work
Mill Electrician (Former Employee) –  Millertown, NL26 January 2017
Employees are treated excellent with great benefits. They support family life and safety is their top priority. It's a great place to learn new skills and enhance your job skills to take elsewhere into your future.
Pros
financial benefits
Cons
mill didn't run long enough
Great Company
Blender (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC19 January 2017
Totally gratefully for the given opportunity. Teck is very large company with many years in the market. Very solid and strong economics.
Pros
Cons
Persons are not really important to supervisors
Fair and Decent Employer
Health and Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 January 2017
This company is very well structured. Managers and supervisors are mostly educated and competent in what they do.

The company values education and experience; and helps employees gain them.

If you enjoy working hard and learning on the job, TECK can offer you a lot.

I enjoyed working with them and would work for them again if the opportunity arises.
Pros
Good Management, Good Benefits and Compensation Package
Cons
Volatile Commodity Prices Which can affect Job Security
good place to work
Haul truck driver (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC9 January 2017
good place to work, cool people and good benefits with a pretty decent work/home life. there is room for good advancements if your willing to work for it
Challenging and Rewarding
SERA Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2017
Working in the Environmental and Permitting department at Teck is both challenging and rewarding. Even the lower level positions generally involve a level of project management. Timelines are usually compressed and the projects complicated. Compensation is fair, but the work-life balance is usually compromised. Teck is focussed on creating environmentally sustainable operations.
Decent salary, terrible job security for new hires
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Trail, BC23 December 2016
Work environments were good but the job security was not. Was laid off during the commodity downturn after working for a year. Was also not compensated for overtime and laid off 2 days prior to being vested in my pension.
Pros
Decent salary
Cons
Shifty HR department
Equipment trainer
Haul truck driver (Former Employee) –  elk ford5 December 2016
Work life balance was good thoughout the job. Four days on and four off was nice. They provided a steady income. Working nights was the only challange
Pros
work rain or shine
Cons
Night shifts where difficult

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teck Mining. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2