Teck Mining Employee Reviews in Canada

Experienced professional, pro-active, able to adapt and relate.
IT Auditor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 26, 2016
Teck is a wonderful place to work, there is work life balance and exposure to highly complex systems. Lots of travelling within North and South Americas - excellent experience.
TECK provides an excellent work enviroment
Maintenance Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCApril 12, 2016
TECK has provided me with an exceptional work environment which has provided me with growth and job satisfaction. While working at their R&D facility it has provided me with a broader skill set.
Good Wages- Keep workers casual for a long time
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCMarch 14, 2016
Was a haul truck operator at Teck, wages and work schedule are good. living in the valley was great.
Was kept on casual for 9 months without benefits or access to bonus's etc.
Pros
Good wages, 4x4 schedule
Cons
Long hours, not paid for travel
dirty job
Welder (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BCMarch 9, 2016
this job was good, it tot you about the heavy equipment,managements is ok i enjoy work with coworkers the comradaire,biggest task was the size and weight of everything,the complication was that gave you pride
Great Comapny
Materials Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCOctober 26, 2015
At this time Teck is going through some instability , hence my 4 star review regarding; job security etc. In better times this company should be a standard for how others treat their employees.
Pros
Every second Friday off, excellent benefits package. Safety is #1.
Corporate and stressed envirornment
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 25, 2015
1st and 2nd line support-troubleshooting of IT related problems from in-house software to hardware, such as Blackberry’s, iPhones, Laptops, PCs and Printers.
Receiving, logging and managing calls from internal staff via telephone and email.
Escalate unresolved calls to the infrastructure support team
Cons
Shift Rotation, Unbalanced workload
Poor morale. Depressing environment.
Mine ops (Former Employee) –  SparwoodAugust 22, 2015
Extremely poor morale.

Pay is descent: 80-100,000 to start. Good benefits after 1 year. Stay as casual employee until they decide to give you full time. As casual you can be laid off at any time, and no benefits.

Foreman are inexperienced, lazy, and entitled.

Favouritism is a major problem.

You won't get anywhere unless your drinking buddies with the foreman.

Your rarely thanked for you're work, and the minute you make a small mistake you're treated like a criminal.

Most foreman don't set a good example of work ethic and take advantage of there positions.

No camp

If you don't live in Elkford or Starwood expect to pay $750 for mediocre 1 bed apartment.

No travel pay

14 hr days(paid for 12) 4 on 4 off, 2 night shifts.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Too many to list.
Best practices implementation, safety and optimal resources use.
Information Systems Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCAugust 22, 2015
Excellent work environment.
Team work always quick, reasonable and effective.
Promotion of health and safety in all activities in work conditions and off work.
Great office resources, equipment and technology.
poor morale due to poor leadership
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Elkford, BCAugust 15, 2015
hard to complete jobs when company wont order parts and when they do they are usually wrong or get lost in the system most enjoyable is the co workers hardest is dealing with not having enough to do management suggest unsafe practises i have learned alot about rigging and that there are better places to work than here
Equitable Employer
Occupational Health Nurse (Temp.) (Current Employee) –  Hinton, ABJuly 27, 2015
Unionized/ Non-unionized, competitive pension and benefits. Travel and shiftwork requirements relative to worksite. Supportive leadership team, safety personnel, department and management. Teck aims to be a leader in health, safety and environment.
not a bad place to work just not for everyone
Haul Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BCJune 3, 2015
they can keep you as a temp for as long as they want which means no benefits and only temp wage which seems like a scam to me.

also no matter how much experience you have you start on haul truck which again isn't bad but to progress you have to bid on jobs and people with more seniority will get preference over you so your usually stuck to haul truck for along time
Pros
good retirerment package
Cons
long temp period
Great Business Experience
Corporate Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 12, 2015
I was promoted from an administrative role into my position as a Corporate Accounting Clerk. This role provided me with a great opportunity to develop my business skills, and I was encouraged to further my education by taking courses in accounting and Microsoft applications. My coworkers were helpful and supportive, however there was often a scarcity of support during busy times.
Teck Resources is a great company to work for...
Mine Geologist (Current Employee) –  Duck Pond Mine Millertown, NewfoundlandApril 30, 2015
Been working for Teck for approximately 7 1/2 years now and would stay with the company if the Duck Pond Mine was not shutting down this summer. It has been a great place to work and the people here are just great. Great benefits and the companies commitment to safety is just unreal....
i love to drive
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BCApril 29, 2015
I had run the rejects from the plant for last 3 yrs. u pull under this big bin and pull a chain.the truck fills up with roughly 240 tonnes of waste rock.then I drove to spoil or grader occasionaly. from plant to spoil and back to plant was roughly 35 minutes.I learned to drive all the trucks at mine 930 katmatsu,s 830 katmatsu,s the new CAT trucks the old CAT trucks and the small wiggle wagons.I enjoyed my fellow workers.Hardest part of job was comeing down the mountain in winter on the nyt shift.you really had to stay focused on the changing road condition.Enjoyable part was the driving I love driving :)
Pros
driveing
Cons
cant think of any cons.
Great Job Great place to Work
Heavy Haul Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Sparwood, BCApril 24, 2015
Love the job but nowhere to live for my family, the company is great, excellent wage and benefits but housing is a HUGE problem if your not single.
Pros
excellent wage and benefits
Cons
No housing
Senior managment treated you poorly
Warehouse Person (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BCFebruary 24, 2015
Good place to work if you just went to work and didn't by in to the company bull. Pretended there was a safety culture but when it came down to it there was none.
Pros
vacation
Cons
managment
Fun
Courses, First aid, Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Sparwood BCJanuary 31, 2015
Working for teck is fun, lots of good people, good morals, safety minded, and most of all the lifestyle Teck has given me.
not a good experience for me
Process Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Logan Lake, BCJanuary 29, 2015
not going back....poor boss, very clicky, lied to. did not find the management staff to be good leaders. was mislead, and misrepresented,
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
poor managment, old thinking.
Good training and place to work.Ability to advance. Had to leave for family reasons, elderly parents(in-laws). Need to be closer to home. No camp .
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BCOctober 25, 2014
Good training and place to work. Ability to advance. Had to leave for family reasons, elderly parents (in-laws). Need to be closer to home.
No camp available.
Pros
good wages, atmosphere, safety culture and equipment
Cons
4x4 split shift not allowing ability to travel home
Great
Engineer's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BCSeptember 29, 2014
Great. love working there. Love working for Teck Coal LTD. would get back if I got the opportunity

4.2