Teavana Employee Reviews

Teavana
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 August 2013
This job was one of the most amazing jobs I've ever had, I left due to lack of training and a disrespectful, harassing area Manager, I was there for just under three years and I worked myself up the ladder, starting at part time in 2010 and then working my way to a store manager in early 2012. All of my co-workers and employees were very friendly. I learned a lot while I was there and found I had a large passion for tea and the benefits that the leaves hold. If there were a change in management I would more that consider going back.
Pros
Free tea to drink on shift, amazing benefits and discounts
Cons
Poor Management and training from area manager.
set hours of a retail store with working great people
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 September 2013
I worked with Teavana before they were Teavana , I was a Teaopia original as we used to call it. I learned a lot about tea and how to specifically cater to a costumers taste pallet. the hardest part of my job was trying to get my mangers to notice some things that customers and as employees saw was wrong with the company. The most enjoyable part of working at Teavana is that i got to work with great people and severed great costumers
Work Life Balance is provided
Retail Merchandise Associate (Current Employee) –  181 Bay Street, TOronto, Ontario22 November 2013
- Promoting and selling high end loose leaf tea and Teavana products.
- Sampling teas to customers and your time to build customers relationships and conduct elevator pitch presentations on the Tea samples.
- co-workers are encouraging and providing guidance and suggestions all the time while promoting teamwork.
- hardest part of the job i would say is selling the cast iron teapots as the deception of a heavy pot throws people off.
- enjoyable part is having free tea all the time.
Informative and Sales Oriented
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 February 2014
Wonderful place to work if one enjoys high pressure sales. A Teavana employee guides the customers through the store and educates them on tea culture and tea benefits. One learns a great amount of information because of this process and comes away having a true understanding for specialty product.
Pros
Great chance to learn about tea culture. Energetic place to work.
Cons
Expect external hires to managerial positions.
Don't really care about you unless you make me the most sales
Teologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 December 2012
They cut your hours back more and more until you're down to a 4 hour shift a week, even though you're supposed to get 20+. Unless you're in the top three of sales of the store, they don't care about your opinion or if you need more hours. Our regional boss was a horrible person & everyone ended up quitting because of him, including our top sale people. Maybe not all the Teavana stores are like this, but ours sure was.
Very relaxed environment but sales oriented
ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 March 2015
We get to learn more than 100 kinds of teas and plenty of time to build a great relationship with customers.
Learned about history of the tea and herbs that are in the teas (health benefit).
Co-workers are mostly students and full of young energy.
Pros
You get to try all the teas on a wall
Cons
N/A (It was a great job)
an OK job
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2013
Its alright. But very unorganized. i can never reach my manager. the shifts are scheduled based on your sales. no sales, no shifts. its a competitive environment, and you're forced to sell tea to people who don't even want tea. my co-workers are generally happy-go-lucky individuals, and its fun working with them. when sampling you get to meet alot of new people
Culture is awesome, management leaves something to be desired
Team Leader/Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON24 February 2015
Teavana has a great atmosphere for interacting with customers. Unfortunately, the atmosphere does not extend to the upper management.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Incompetent General Manager
Fun and uplifting environment
Sales Persons (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB18 October 2012
Working at Teavana was a great place to work because I learned new interesting information tea everyday. Management and co-workers always worked as a team. The part was working in an uplifting environment with great people.
fun work environment if leading by good manager
Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC27 July 2015
lack of communication between management teams
salary is low
co-workers are friendly
learned management and training skills from this company
Bad managment
Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON15 January 2015
You sell overpriced tea that has had some very powerful pesticides sprayed on them to people while convincing them it is healing.

now owned by starbucks. So many reasons why never to work or shop there.
Cons
everything
Must be dedicated to job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 April 2014
I found there was a lot of room to move up in the company if you were willing to dedicate your whole time to your work.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Grueling Sales process
Time spent at Teavana
Cashier, sales associate. (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 March 2014
A typical work day includes working with the customers to find the best tea that suits there life style. We also spend the day learning about teas.
Fun environement
Seasonal Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON17 March 2014
Teavana was an interesting environment to work in. Management could use some improvement at times. But it is full of culture.
Great Place to Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON14 June 2014
Co-workers and management were really good here and always a positive environment
Excellent
Made sales (Former Employee) –  Ottawa Ontario25 March 2013
Very fun and relaxed environment to work in.
I learned sales techniques and how be efficient.
Fun
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 February 2013
It's a fun place to work and it's easy to sell product you love.
Positive, productive, competitive, engaging, challenging, encourages self improvement
Team Lead (Key Holder) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 February 2015
During a typical day at Teavana, all staff is made aware of any promotions, news, as well as what needs to be taken care for the day/week. All staff takes the time to stay engaged, & introduce customers to Teavana at the sample cart. We all work together as a team, and are constantly striving to be the best Sales Associates that we can be. I've learned much more about how to approach challenges & customers from a sales stand point, how to keep the customer connected with you & engaged, as well as tea. The hardest part of the job is increasing sales during very slow days, because our location has a lot of construction; it does damper our number of transactions & sales per hour. Staff since day one has been extremely pleasant, patient, knowledgeable & welcoming. I had the absolute pleasure to work with a wonderful staff & excellent management. My GM is constantly helping us to expand ourselves & their passion for tea & their job is quite admirable. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to select the best tea that suits the customers palate & having the opportunity to have them return & provide excellent feedback on the tea & customer service.
Pros
Fast paced environment, wonderful staff, the customers
Cons
Periods of stagnancy due to location of the store, insufficient & inconsistant hours
"Upper Management issues and miscommunication"
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  GTA5 April 2015
Worked here for a while and I thought it was a wonderful place to be in. Love all the customers and educating them in out products and teas. One issue I had was Upper management and the sales tactics that seemed to be forceful and not geared towards customer needs. Like others, this company loves to contradict themselves. The journey they come up with is forced sale tactic that many customers have complained and push consumers away from their wants and needs. Bad marketing planning and tactic has lead to stores not meeting certain and randomly expanded targets. Demographic locations in malls has an effect in storw potential. I worked in a newer renovated area where traffic is not what it was advertised. Our targets are high because of the expectations, but those that did the forcasting potential should have realized that a tea shop in a rural city should be closer to the food court than in a new section where there is nothing new or exciting than on saturdays, when people actually goes to. My Regional Manager doesn't see figures in realistic manners and lies about people. He likes to have people do his dirty work and verbally threatens you on your job. If Teavana were to get better, I wish they understand the market better. To generate and attract customers, most partners can sell and upsell with passion. If you keep forcing and degrading partners in the store front, than is beyond demoralizing what Teavana stands for and how customers wanted to be treated. The markout and 30% discount on teas are very great perks. Benefit program is good, but not great. The grades of tea and  more... plastic particles that are found when fillig up the tins. I always believe in our mission statement, but it seems like the statement in itself is not perceived as a welcoming brand. Once you understand what lies behind their goal, it is not a company you want to work for a long term career.  less
Pros
Partners and GM relationship, teamwork, goals, customers, unlimited tea drinking, 30% discount at Starbucks, markout, benefits
Cons
Regional Manager, Teas leaves with plastic particals inside, Forceful sales tactics, Upper management, Journey through our tea
Une journée de travail typique
Chef d'équipe (Former Employee) –  Québec City, QC15 September 2014
Un thé d'une excellente qualitée et une belle équipe! On dois demander au gens de venir goûter au thé, on fais découvrir la santé en breuvage. Beaucoup de challenge administratif!
Pros
Thé gratuit
Cons
Mal payer