Teavana Employee Reviews

Bad Upper Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC12 December 2016
Working with co-workers are great as well as learning about the different types of tea and their brewing methods.

Using the sample cart when the store is slow is inefficient, many people will just take the free samples then walk away. The rate of actually making a sale is quite low as the sample tea is considerably overpriced. Time can be used elsewhere.

Upper management needs to get a grip on what is actually going on in the store. Worked in a lower volume mall where the shoppers were not there to spend money on specialty tea. Blamed the workers and management at the store for the lack of sales when the problem is the location.

Training is good but in some cases, not applicable to different stores with different clientele.
Pros
Free drinks at work
Cons
Sampling at the sample cart, poor upper managment
Very sales driven
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 February 2017
Not much room for advancement. You have to work hard for very little reward and even though they emphasize learning about tea, they don't give you time to learn your job properly.
Productive Team Oriented Workplace
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 January 2017
I have never worked with a company where the being a team was so important to management. All of us loved working together and it was always exciting to enter the store and see who was working. And with a sales approach that focused on keeping happy customers and creating repeat business we were able to become friendly with our clientele and they were always as happy to see us again as we were them.
Pros
Tea on shift, member card got 30% off at Starbucks
Great coworkers.
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 December 2016
The entire time I worked there we didn't have a manager (I didn't want to take on that responsibility).
I was one of the main team leads at the time and partially was an acting manager.
I loved the people I worked with and I continue to be friends with them to this day.

The main thing I disliked apart from no managers, was the push to sell... Since we didn't get commission for our sales.
Pros
Coworkers, tea.
Cons
No management, no commission.
productive and fun environment customer oriented
Keyholder / Gardienne (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 March 2016
very good environment, fun to come to work. I love the job culture, tea can be very interesting and can offer health benefits. I love educating people about tea especially when they only know about earl grey or English breakfast.

It will be sad when i leave this job. But it is very hard to go forward with the company and think of a career job for the future.
Fun and encouraging work place.
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 May 2016
A typical day at Teavana is up beat, usually involves having conversations with customers while getting to know them and explaining to them our products / making them drinks. The staff also alternate on cash and cleaning, sometimes stock work is involved. I've learned a lot while working there, mostly building on my customer service skills and sales approaches.
Management and co-workers are all amazing, I've developed some great relationships and everyone gets along well.
The hardest part of the job would have to be keeping up with tea samples in the busy mall, the most enjoyable would be interacting with customers as well as my co-workers.
Pros
Fun, encouraging, great staff and managers, positive environment over-all.
Cons
Over staffed, hours are minimal.
Flexible
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Surrey Centre, BC27 December 2016
This job is a great job for students because the hours are reasonable and flexible. It is HEAVILY sales oriented. If you don't like pushy selling, this job is likely not going to appeal to you.
Terrible management that does NOT respect their employees.
TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC5 June 2015
When I first started working at Teavana I really enjoyed it. You get free tea on your shift, a 30% discount at Starbucks and Teavana and the work itself is pretty fun and interesting. I soon became all to familiar with the overbearing and disrespectful attitude of the management of the ENTIRE COMPANY and the store itself. They set completely unrealistic sales goals and then punish you when you fail to meet them. They get mad and do not believe you when you call in sick. They make advancement/pay raise promises that they do not keep and do not think twice about kicking you to the metaphorical curb if you try to stand up for yourself when they treat you badly.

I 100% do not recommend working here unless you are completely desperate for a job. Trust me, it's not worth the stress.
Pros
Free tea on the job, discount at starbucks, learned a lot.
Fun place to work- terrible pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 October 2015
I started as a team lead and quickly moved into the position of assistant manger. From there I was transferred to another store that had no manager. I created an amazing team and was given the title of 'acting manager' but was not given a raise. I was managing the store at $12/ hour and working 50 hour work weeks.

I love the culture of the store but they seem to have a hard time keeping good people.
Pros
Free tea
Fun and relax workplace
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 July 2016
Great staff, good management and a very positive workplace. Tasks vary from organizing inventory, stocking up shelves, serving costumers and making tea drinks.

Want to know more about Teavana?

Ask a question
Fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 September 2016
Fun and educational workplace that promotes wellness and relaxation. Everyone is helpful and positive as well as cheerful. there is no major problems with customers so everything is looking well
Good atmosphere, good people and good products.
Barista/Stockperson (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON25 January 2016
I would start serving drinks, look at what needs to be done in terms of stock, and order items if necessary. I honed my customer service skills, and learned about dealing with ordering and inventory. Management and coworkers are like family. I greatly enjoyed having access to delicious tea, and the hardest part of the job would be dealing with uncooperative customers, although this was rarely an issue. Overall it was a fun place to work.
Teavana
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 August 2013
This job was one of the most amazing jobs I've ever had, I left due to lack of training and a disrespectful, harassing area Manager, I was there for just under three years and I worked myself up the ladder, starting at part time in 2010 and then working my way to a store manager in early 2012. All of my co-workers and employees were very friendly. I learned a lot while I was there and found I had a large passion for tea and the benefits that the leaves hold. If there were a change in management I would more that consider going back.
Pros
Free tea to drink on shift, amazing benefits and discounts
Cons
Poor Management and training from area manager.
enjoyable and energetic workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 March 2016
Working at Teavana is very enjoyable experience. The whole team at St.Vital is great to work with and very friendly. I have learned so much while working there and not only about tea, but skills I will take with me on my jobs to come. I have learned how to connect with customers I am helping as well as listen to their needs and accommodate for them. Multitasking is also another skill I have gained further experience in, especially when the store become busy. Overall I believe that this job has helped me grow as a person, because I use to be super shy, and in my employment experience. My manager was good at following my availability and accommodating the schedule to school and other priorities. I would have to say the most enjoyable part of the job would be meeting all my amazing co-workers, and also helping a new customer to tea and sensing their excitement to get started, knowing that I have helped them.
Fun and interesting place to work
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 December 2015
It is a fun place to work, we are all friends and management is really easy going. We all follow the rules and if we do what we have to it is a great environment. The most enjoyable part is working with the customers and providing them with a great service. The hardest part would be the closing part there is a lot to clean up and it has to be done right.
Pros
30% off, fun staff, great friendships, good hours, nice location
Productive working environment
Operational Manager and Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 May 2016
Extensive learning about tea-making processes.
Speak with customers about tea that best suites their particular need in taste.
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with coworkers and speaking with customers about product.
typical day
night manager / Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 June 2016
sales and merchandising
quotas to reach
closing and cleaning of store
Meeting and greeting the customers.
Interaction with stafff
Pros
learning of teas and how they are or are not good for you
Cons
competative hours
Informative and Sales Oriented
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 February 2014
Wonderful place to work if one enjoys high pressure sales. A Teavana employee guides the customers through the store and educates them on tea culture and tea benefits. One learns a great amount of information because of this process and comes away having a true understanding for specialty product.
Pros
Great chance to learn about tea culture. Energetic place to work.
Cons
Expect external hires to managerial positions.
Positive, productive, competitive, engaging, challenging, encourages self improvement
Team Lead (Key Holder) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 February 2015
During a typical day at Teavana, all staff is made aware of any promotions, news, as well as what needs to be taken care for the day/week. All staff takes the time to stay engaged, & introduce customers to Teavana at the sample cart. We all work together as a team, and are constantly striving to be the best Sales Associates that we can be. I've learned much more about how to approach challenges & customers from a sales stand point, how to keep the customer connected with you & engaged, as well as tea. The hardest part of the job is increasing sales during very slow days, because our location has a lot of construction; it does damper our number of transactions & sales per hour. Staff since day one has been extremely pleasant, patient, knowledgeable & welcoming. I had the absolute pleasure to work with a wonderful staff & excellent management. My GM is constantly helping us to expand ourselves & their passion for tea & their job is quite admirable. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to select the best tea that suits the customers palate & having the opportunity to have them return & provide excellent feedback on the tea & customer service.
Pros
Fast paced environment, wonderful staff, the customers
Cons
Periods of stagnancy due to location of the store, insufficient & inconsistant hours
fun work environment if leading by good manager
Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC27 July 2015
lack of communication between management teams
salary is low
co-workers are friendly
learned management and training skills from this company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teavana. Our community is ready to answer.

75%