Teavana Employee Reviews

Very sales driven
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 February 2017
Not much room for advancement. You have to work hard for very little reward and even though they emphasize learning about tea, they don't give you time to learn your job properly.
Productive Team Oriented Workplace
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 January 2017
I have never worked with a company where the being a team was so important to management. All of us loved working together and it was always exciting to enter the store and see who was working. And with a sales approach that focused on keeping happy customers and creating repeat business we were able to become friendly with our clientele and they were always as happy to see us again as we were them.
Pros
Tea on shift, member card got 30% off at Starbucks
Flexible
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Surrey Centre, BC27 December 2016
This job is a great job for students because the hours are reasonable and flexible. It is HEAVILY sales oriented. If you don't like pushy selling, this job is likely not going to appeal to you.
Great coworkers.
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 December 2016
The entire time I worked there we didn't have a manager (I didn't want to take on that responsibility).
I was one of the main team leads at the time and partially was an acting manager.
I loved the people I worked with and I continue to be friends with them to this day.

The main thing I disliked apart from no managers, was the push to sell... Since we didn't get commission for our sales.
Pros
Coworkers, tea.
Cons
No management, no commission.
Bad Upper Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC12 December 2016
Working with co-workers are great as well as learning about the different types of tea and their brewing methods.

Using the sample cart when the store is slow is inefficient, many people will just take the free samples then walk away. The rate of actually making a sale is quite low as the sample tea is considerably overpriced. Time can be used elsewhere.

Upper management needs to get a grip on what is actually going on in the store. Worked in a lower volume mall where the shoppers were not there to spend money on specialty tea. Blamed the workers and management at the store for the lack of sales when the problem is the location.

Training is good but in some cases, not applicable to different stores with different clientele.
Pros
Free drinks at work
Cons
Sampling at the sample cart, poor upper managment
Fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 September 2016
Fun and educational workplace that promotes wellness and relaxation. Everyone is helpful and positive as well as cheerful. there is no major problems with customers so everything is looking well
Fun and relax workplace
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 July 2016
Great staff, good management and a very positive workplace. Tasks vary from organizing inventory, stocking up shelves, serving costumers and making tea drinks.
typical day
night manager / Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 June 2016
sales and merchandising
quotas to reach
closing and cleaning of store
Meeting and greeting the customers.
Interaction with stafff
Pros
learning of teas and how they are or are not good for you
Cons
competative hours
Productive working environment
Operational Manager and Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 May 2016
Extensive learning about tea-making processes.
Speak with customers about tea that best suites their particular need in taste.
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with coworkers and speaking with customers about product.
Fun and encouraging work place.
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 May 2016
A typical day at Teavana is up beat, usually involves having conversations with customers while getting to know them and explaining to them our products / making them drinks. The staff also alternate on cash and cleaning, sometimes stock work is involved. I've learned a lot while working there, mostly building on my customer service skills and sales approaches.
Management and co-workers are all amazing, I've developed some great relationships and everyone gets along well.
The hardest part of the job would have to be keeping up with tea samples in the busy mall, the most enjoyable would be interacting with customers as well as my co-workers.
Pros
Fun, encouraging, great staff and managers, positive environment over-all.
Cons
Over staffed, hours are minimal.
productive and fun environment customer oriented
Keyholder / Gardienne (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 March 2016
very good environment, fun to come to work. I love the job culture, tea can be very interesting and can offer health benefits. I love educating people about tea especially when they only know about earl grey or English breakfast.

It will be sad when i leave this job. But it is very hard to go forward with the company and think of a career job for the future.
enjoyable and energetic workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 March 2016
Working at Teavana is very enjoyable experience. The whole team at St.Vital is great to work with and very friendly. I have learned so much while working there and not only about tea, but skills I will take with me on my jobs to come. I have learned how to connect with customers I am helping as well as listen to their needs and accommodate for them. Multitasking is also another skill I have gained further experience in, especially when the store become busy. Overall I believe that this job has helped me grow as a person, because I use to be super shy, and in my employment experience. My manager was good at following my availability and accommodating the schedule to school and other priorities. I would have to say the most enjoyable part of the job would be meeting all my amazing co-workers, and also helping a new customer to tea and sensing their excitement to get started, knowing that I have helped them.
Good atmosphere, good people and good products.
Barista/Stockperson (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON25 January 2016
I would start serving drinks, look at what needs to be done in terms of stock, and order items if necessary. I honed my customer service skills, and learned about dealing with ordering and inventory. Management and coworkers are like family. I greatly enjoyed having access to delicious tea, and the hardest part of the job would be dealing with uncooperative customers, although this was rarely an issue. Overall it was a fun place to work.
Fun and interesting place to work
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 December 2015
It is a fun place to work, we are all friends and management is really easy going. We all follow the rules and if we do what we have to it is a great environment. The most enjoyable part is working with the customers and providing them with a great service. The hardest part would be the closing part there is a lot to clean up and it has to be done right.
Pros
30% off, fun staff, great friendships, good hours, nice location
Fun place to work- terrible pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 October 2015
I started as a team lead and quickly moved into the position of assistant manger. From there I was transferred to another store that had no manager. I created an amazing team and was given the title of 'acting manager' but was not given a raise. I was managing the store at $12/ hour and working 50 hour work weeks.

I love the culture of the store but they seem to have a hard time keeping good people.
Pros
Free tea
fun work environment if leading by good manager
Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC27 July 2015
lack of communication between management teams
salary is low
co-workers are friendly
learned management and training skills from this company
Terrible management that does NOT respect their employees.
TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC5 June 2015
When I first started working at Teavana I really enjoyed it. You get free tea on your shift, a 30% discount at Starbucks and Teavana and the work itself is pretty fun and interesting. I soon became all to familiar with the overbearing and disrespectful attitude of the management of the ENTIRE COMPANY and the store itself. They set completely unrealistic sales goals and then punish you when you fail to meet them. They get mad and do not believe you when you call in sick. They make advancement/pay raise promises that they do not keep and do not think twice about kicking you to the metaphorical curb if you try to stand up for yourself when they treat you badly.

I 100% do not recommend working here unless you are completely desperate for a job. Trust me, it's not worth the stress.
Pros
Free tea on the job, discount at starbucks, learned a lot.
Great company to be a part of!
Visual Merchandising Teamlead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 May 2015
This company openly appreciated all employees and even offered gifts and incentives to each employee on a regular basis. They expected us to have as many free teas in a shift as we could so that we could learn the tastes and pair them together well. Hardest part of the job was watching the customer's shop and knowing I would have to wait until my shift was over.
Pros
support, advancement opportunities, free tea
Cons
"Upper Management issues and miscommunication"
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  GTA5 April 2015
Worked here for a while and I thought it was a wonderful place to be in. Love all the customers and educating them in out products and teas. One issue I had was Upper management and the sales tactics that seemed to be forceful and not geared towards customer needs. Like others, this company loves to contradict themselves. The journey they come up with is forced sale tactic that many customers have complained and push consumers away from their wants and needs. Bad marketing planning and tactic has lead to stores not meeting certain and randomly expanded targets. Demographic locations in malls has an effect in storw potential. I worked in a newer renovated area where traffic is not what it was advertised. Our targets are high because of the expectations, but those that did the forcasting potential should have realized that a tea shop in a rural city should be closer to the food court than in a new section where there is nothing new or exciting than on saturdays, when people actually goes to. My Regional Manager doesn't see figures in realistic manners and lies about people. He likes to have people do his dirty work and verbally threatens you on your job. If Teavana were to get better, I wish they understand the market better. To generate and attract customers, most partners can sell and upsell with passion. If you keep forcing and degrading partners in the store front, than is beyond demoralizing what Teavana stands for and how customers wanted to be treated. The markout and 30% discount on teas are very great perks. Benefit program is good, but not great. The grades of tea and  more... plastic particles that are found when fillig up the tins. I always believe in our mission statement, but it seems like the statement in itself is not perceived as a welcoming brand. Once you understand what lies behind their goal, it is not a company you want to work for a long term career.  less
Pros
Partners and GM relationship, teamwork, goals, customers, unlimited tea drinking, 30% discount at Starbucks, markout, benefits
Cons
Regional Manager, Teas leaves with plastic particals inside, Forceful sales tactics, Upper management, Journey through our tea
Very relaxed environment but sales oriented
ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 March 2015
We get to learn more than 100 kinds of teas and plenty of time to build a great relationship with customers.
Learned about history of the tea and herbs that are in the teas (health benefit).
Co-workers are mostly students and full of young energy.
Pros
You get to try all the teas on a wall
Cons
N/A (It was a great job)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teavana. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval