Teavana Employee Reviews in Canada

typical day
night manager / Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 13, 2016
sales and merchandising
quotas to reach
closing and cleaning of store
Meeting and greeting the customers.
Interaction with stafff
Pros
learning of teas and how they are or are not good for you
Cons
competative hours
Productive working environment
Operational Manager and Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 30, 2016
Extensive learning about tea-making processes.
Speak with customers about tea that best suites their particular need in taste.
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with coworkers and speaking with customers about product.
Fun and encouraging work place.
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 8, 2016
A typical day at Teavana is up beat, usually involves having conversations with customers while getting to know them and explaining to them our products / making them drinks. The staff also alternate on cash and cleaning, sometimes stock work is involved. I've learned a lot while working there, mostly building on my customer service skills and sales approaches.
Management and co-workers are all amazing, I've developed some great relationships and everyone gets along well.
The hardest part of the job would have to be keeping up with tea samples in the busy mall, the most enjoyable would be interacting with customers as well as my co-workers.
Pros
Fun, encouraging, great staff and managers, positive environment over-all.
Cons
Over staffed, hours are minimal.
productive and fun environment customer oriented
Keyholder / Gardienne (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 11, 2016
very good environment, fun to come to work. I love the job culture, tea can be very interesting and can offer health benefits. I love educating people about tea especially when they only know about earl grey or English breakfast.

It will be sad when i leave this job. But it is very hard to go forward with the company and think of a career job for the future.
enjoyable and energetic workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 10, 2016
Working at Teavana is very enjoyable experience. The whole team at St.Vital is great to work with and very friendly. I have learned so much while working there and not only about tea, but skills I will take with me on my jobs to come. I have learned how to connect with customers I am helping as well as listen to their needs and accommodate for them. Multitasking is also another skill I have gained further experience in, especially when the store become busy. Overall I believe that this job has helped me grow as a person, because I use to be super shy, and in my employment experience. My manager was good at following my availability and accommodating the schedule to school and other priorities. I would have to say the most enjoyable part of the job would be meeting all my amazing co-workers, and also helping a new customer to tea and sensing their excitement to get started, knowing that I have helped them.
Good atmosphere, good people and good products.
Barista/Stockperson (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJanuary 25, 2016
I would start serving drinks, look at what needs to be done in terms of stock, and order items if necessary. I honed my customer service skills, and learned about dealing with ordering and inventory. Management and coworkers are like family. I greatly enjoyed having access to delicious tea, and the hardest part of the job would be dealing with uncooperative customers, although this was rarely an issue. Overall it was a fun place to work.
Fun and interesting place to work
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCDecember 9, 2015
It is a fun place to work, we are all friends and management is really easy going. We all follow the rules and if we do what we have to it is a great environment. The most enjoyable part is working with the customers and providing them with a great service. The hardest part would be the closing part there is a lot to clean up and it has to be done right.
Pros
30% off, fun staff, great friendships, good hours, nice location
Fun place to work- terrible pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 6, 2015
I started as a team lead and quickly moved into the position of assistant manger. From there I was transferred to another store that had no manager. I created an amazing team and was given the title of 'acting manager' but was not given a raise. I was managing the store at $12/ hour and working 50 hour work weeks.

I love the culture of the store but they seem to have a hard time keeping good people.
Pros
Free tea
fun work environment if leading by good manager
Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCJuly 27, 2015
lack of communication between management teams
salary is low
co-workers are friendly
learned management and training skills from this company
Terrible management that does NOT respect their employees.
TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJune 5, 2015
When I first started working at Teavana I really enjoyed it. You get free tea on your shift, a 30% discount at Starbucks and Teavana and the work itself is pretty fun and interesting. I soon became all to familiar with the overbearing and disrespectful attitude of the management of the ENTIRE COMPANY and the store itself. They set completely unrealistic sales goals and then punish you when you fail to meet them. They get mad and do not believe you when you call in sick. They make advancement/pay raise promises that they do not keep and do not think twice about kicking you to the metaphorical curb if you try to stand up for yourself when they treat you badly.

I 100% do not recommend working here unless you are completely desperate for a job. Trust me, it's not worth the stress.
Pros
Free tea on the job, discount at starbucks, learned a lot.
Great company to be a part of!
Visual Merchandising Teamlead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 26, 2015
This company openly appreciated all employees and even offered gifts and incentives to each employee on a regular basis. They expected us to have as many free teas in a shift as we could so that we could learn the tastes and pair them together well. Hardest part of the job was watching the customer's shop and knowing I would have to wait until my shift was over.
Pros
support, advancement opportunities, free tea
Cons
"Upper Management issues and miscommunication"
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  GTAApril 5, 2015
Worked here for a while and I thought it was a wonderful place to be in. Love all the customers and educating them in out products and teas. One issue I had was Upper management and the sales tactics that seemed to be forceful and not geared towards customer needs. Like others, this company loves to contradict themselves. The journey they come up with is forced sale tactic that many customers have complained and push consumers away from their wants and needs. Bad marketing planning and tactic has lead to stores not meeting certain and randomly expanded targets. Demographic locations in malls has an effect in storw potential. I worked in a newer renovated area where traffic is not what it was advertised. Our targets are high because of the expectations, but those that did the forcasting potential should have realized that a tea shop in a rural city should be closer to the food court than in a new section where there is nothing new or exciting than on saturdays, when people actually goes to. My Regional Manager doesn't see figures in realistic manners and lies about people. He likes to have people do his dirty work and verbally threatens you on your job. If Teavana were to get better, I wish they understand the market better. To generate and attract customers, most partners can sell and upsell with passion. If you keep forcing and degrading partners in the store front, than is beyond demoralizing what Teavana stands for and how customers wanted to be treated. The markout and 30% discount on teas are very great perks. Benefit program is good, but not great. The grades of tea and  more... plastic particles that are found when fillig up the tins. I always believe in our mission statement, but it seems like the statement in itself is not perceived as a welcoming brand. Once you understand what lies behind their goal, it is not a company you want to work for a long term career.  less
Pros
Partners and GM relationship, teamwork, goals, customers, unlimited tea drinking, 30% discount at Starbucks, markout, benefits
Cons
Regional Manager, Teas leaves with plastic particals inside, Forceful sales tactics, Upper management, Journey through our tea
Very relaxed environment but sales oriented
ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 19, 2015
We get to learn more than 100 kinds of teas and plenty of time to build a great relationship with customers.
Learned about history of the tea and herbs that are in the teas (health benefit).
Co-workers are mostly students and full of young energy.
Pros
you get to try all the teas on a wall
Cons
n/a (it was a great job)
Culture is awesome, management leaves something to be desired
Team Leader/Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONFebruary 24, 2015
Teavana has a great atmosphere for interacting with customers. Unfortunately, the atmosphere does not extend to the upper management.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
incompetent general manager
Positive, productive, competitive, engaging, challenging, encourages self improvement
Team Lead (Key Holder) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 16, 2015
During a typical day at Teavana, all staff is made aware of any promotions, news, as well as what needs to be taken care for the day/week. All staff takes the time to stay engaged, & introduce customers to Teavana at the sample cart. We all work together as a team, and are constantly striving to be the best Sales Associates that we can be. I've learned much more about how to approach challenges & customers from a sales stand point, how to keep the customer connected with you & engaged, as well as tea. The hardest part of the job is increasing sales during very slow days, because our location has a lot of construction; it does damper our number of transactions & sales per hour. Staff since day one has been extremely pleasant, patient, knowledgeable & welcoming. I had the absolute pleasure to work with a wonderful staff & excellent management. My GM is constantly helping us to expand ourselves & their passion for tea & their job is quite admirable. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to select the best tea that suits the customers palate & having the opportunity to have them return & provide excellent feedback on the tea & customer service.
Pros
fast paced environment, wonderful staff, the customers
Cons
periods of stagnancy due to location of the store, insufficient & inconsistant hours
Bad managment
Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJanuary 15, 2015
You sell overpriced tea that has had some very powerful pesticides sprayed on them to people while convincing them it is healing.

now owned by starbucks. So many reasons why never to work or shop there.
Cons
everything
Great Place to Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJune 14, 2014
Co-workers and management were really good here and always a positive environment
Must be dedicated to job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 16, 2014
I found there was a lot of room to move up in the company if you were willing to dedicate your whole time to your work.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
grueling sales process
Time spent at Teavana
Cashier, sales associate. (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 22, 2014
A typical work day includes working with the customers to find the best tea that suits there life style. We also spend the day learning about teas.
Informative and Sales Oriented
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 11, 2014
Wonderful place to work if one enjoys high pressure sales. A Teavana employee guides the customers through the store and educates them on tea culture and tea benefits. One learns a great amount of information because of this process and comes away having a true understanding for specialty product.
Pros
great chance to learn about tea culture. energetic place to work.
Cons
expect external hires to managerial positions.