Teavana

Teavana Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great company to be a part of!
Visual Merchandising Teamlead (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 26, 2015
Pros: support, advancement opportunities, free tea
Cons: none
This company openly appreciated all employees and even offered gifts and incentives to each employee on a regular basis. They expected us to have as many free teas in a shift as we could so that we could learn the tastes and pair them together well. Hardest part of the job was watching the customer's shop and knowing I would have to wait until my shift was over.
"Upper Management issues and miscommunication"
Team Lead (Former Employee), GTAApril 5, 2015
Pros: Partners and GM relationship, teamwork, goals, customers, unlimited tea drinking, 30% discount at Starbucks, markout, benefits
Cons: Regional Manager, Teas leaves with plastic particals inside, Forceful sales tactics, Upper management, Journey through our tea
Worked here for a while and I thought it was a wonderful place to be in. Love all the customers and educating them in out products and teas. One issue I had was Upper management and the sales tactics that seemed to be forceful and not geared towards customer needs. Like others, this company loves to contradict themselves. The journey they come up with is forced sale tactic that many customers have – more... complained and push consumers away from their wants and needs. Bad marketing planning and tactic has lead to stores not meeting certain and randomly expanded targets. Demographic locations in malls has an effect in storw potential. I worked in a newer renovated area where traffic is not what it was advertised. Our targets are high because of the expectations, but those that did the forcasting potential should have realized that a tea shop in a rural city should be closer to the food court than in a new section where there is nothing new or exciting than on saturdays, when people actually goes to. My Regional Manager doesn't see figures in realistic manners and lies about people. He likes to have people do his dirty work and verbally threatens you on your job. If Teavana were to get better, I wish they understand the market better. To generate and attract customers, most partners can sell and upsell with passion. If you keep forcing and degrading partners in the store front, than is beyond demoralizing what Teavana stands for and how customers wanted to be treated. The markout and 30% discount on teas are very great perks. Benefit program is good, but not great. The grades of tea and plastic particles that are found when fillig up the tins. I always believe in our mission statement, but it seems like the statement in itself is not perceived as a welcoming brand. Once you understand what lies behind their goal, it is not a company you want to work for a long term career. – less
Very relaxed environment but sales oriented
ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee), Victoria, BCMarch 19, 2015
Pros: you get to try all the teas on a wall
Cons: n/a (it was a great job)
We get to learn more than 100 kinds of teas and plenty of time to build a great relationship with customers.
Learned about history of the tea and herbs that are in the teas (health benefit).
Co-workers are mostly students and full of young energy.
Culture is awesome, management leaves something to be desired
Team Leader/Manager (Former Employee), Kingston, ONFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: incompetent general manager
Teavana has a great atmosphere for interacting with customers. Unfortunately, the atmosphere does not extend to the upper management.
Positive, productive, competitive, engaging, challenging, encourages self improvement
Team Lead (Key Holder) (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: fast paced environment, wonderful staff, the customers
Cons: periods of stagnancy due to location of the store, insufficient & inconsistant hours
During a typical day at Teavana, all staff is made aware of any promotions, news, as well as what needs to be taken care for the day/week. All staff takes the time to stay engaged, & introduce customers to Teavana at the sample cart. We all work together as a team, and are constantly striving to be the best Sales Associates that we can be. I've learned much more about how to approach challenges & customers – more... from a sales stand point, how to keep the customer connected with you & engaged, as well as tea. The hardest part of the job is increasing sales during very slow days, because our location has a lot of construction; it does damper our number of transactions & sales per hour. Staff since day one has been extremely pleasant, patient, knowledgeable & welcoming. I had the absolute pleasure to work with a wonderful staff & excellent management. My GM is constantly helping us to expand ourselves & their passion for tea & their job is quite admirable. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to select the best tea that suits the customers palate & having the opportunity to have them return & provide excellent feedback on the tea & customer service. – less
Bad managment
Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee), Burlington, ONJanuary 15, 2015
Cons: everything
You sell overpriced tea that has had some very powerful pesticides sprayed on them to people while convincing them it is healing.

now owned by starbucks. So many reasons why never to work or shop there.
Great Place to Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONJune 14, 2014
Co-workers and management were really good here and always a positive environment
Must be dedicated to job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 16, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: grueling sales process
I found there was a lot of room to move up in the company if you were willing to dedicate your whole time to your work.
Time spent at Teavana
Cashier, sales associate. (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 22, 2014
A typical work day includes working with the customers to find the best tea that suits there life style. We also spend the day learning about teas.
Informative and Sales Oriented
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: great chance to learn about tea culture. energetic place to work.
Cons: expect external hires to managerial positions.
Wonderful place to work if one enjoys high pressure sales. A Teavana employee guides the customers through the store and educates them on tea culture and tea benefits. One learns a great amount of information because of this process and comes away having a true understanding for specialty product.
Positivity and hard working
Barista (Current Employee), Winnipeg, manitobaJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: working as a team.
make drinks for customers, workers and put away stock. stock tea bar and shelfs, help out team mates. I have learned how to get along with people, work as a team, make different kinds of drinks, deal with customers, handle cash, and do inventory/stock. our management team is really good together. co-workers work as a team/family and help one another out. There isn't really a hard part to my job as i am the barista that makes drinks, fill samples, and works part as the team. I love working with people and helping people out and find what they love.
Work Life Balance is provided
Retail Merchandise Associate (Current Employee), 181 Bay Street, TOronto, OntarioNovember 22, 2013
- Promoting and selling high end loose leaf tea and Teavana products.
- Sampling teas to customers and your time to build customers relationships and conduct elevator pitch presentations on the Tea samples.
- co-workers are encouraging and providing guidance and suggestions all the time while promoting teamwork.
- hardest part of the job i would say is selling the cast iron teapots as the deception of a heavy pot throws people off.
- enjoyable part is having free tea all the time.
an OK job
Team Member (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 8, 2013
Its alright. But very unorganized. i can never reach my manager. the shifts are scheduled based on your sales. no sales, no shifts. its a competitive environment, and you're forced to sell tea to people who don't even want tea. my co-workers are generally happy-go-lucky individuals, and its fun working with them. when sampling you get to meet alot of new people
set hours of a retail store with working great people
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 13, 2013
I worked with Teavana before they were Teavana , I was a Teaopia original as we used to call it. I learned a lot about tea and how to specifically cater to a costumers taste pallet. the hardest part of my job was trying to get my mangers to notice some things that customers and as employees saw was wrong with the company. The most enjoyable part of working at Teavana is that i got to work with great people and severed great costumers
Teavana
Store Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 26, 2013
Pros: free tea to drink on shift, amazing benefits and discounts
Cons: poor management and training from area manager.
This job was one of the most amazing jobs I've ever had, I left due to lack of training and a disrespectful, harassing area Manager, I was there for just under three years and I worked myself up the ladder, starting at part time in 2010 and then working my way to a store manager in early 2012. All of my co-workers and employees were very friendly. I learned a lot while I was there and found I had a large passion for tea and the benefits that the leaves hold. If there were a change in management I would more that consider going back.
Poor
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee), Calgary albertaJune 26, 2013
Pros: discount teas, weekly pay, bonus.
Cons: conflict of interest, immature management
I loved working there at first, but the DM was unfair with the manager in the store and I did not believe with how she was handling her. It was very pressured to make high sales and you were forced to push the customers into buying high price and high quantity of teas which I did not also believe in. It is not a place that you want to work if your looking to work long term. It is however a good place for high school students looking for some fun.
Relaxing and amazing place to work
Operations Team Lead / Key holder (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 16, 2013
Pros: free cups of tea on shift
Cons: sales goals are sometimes unrealistic, resulting in punishment if they are not met.
Selling tea has to be one of the best jobs I have ever had. I have had very few upset customers, most people are excited to learn more and expand their knowledge and tastes of tea. My co-workers are fantastic, Area manager, and store manager are a hoot to have around. I wake up excited about who I will be working with every day.
Excellent
Made sales (Former Employee), Ottawa OntarioMarch 25, 2013
Very fun and relaxed environment to work in.
I learned sales techniques and how be efficient.
Fun
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 11, 2013
It's a fun place to work and it's easy to sell product you love.
Don't really care about you unless you make me the most sales
Teologist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 20, 2012
They cut your hours back more and more until you're down to a 4 hour shift a week, even though you're supposed to get 20+. Unless you're in the top three of sales of the store, they don't care about your opinion or if you need more hours. Our regional boss was a horrible person & everyone ended up quitting because of him, including our top sale people. Maybe not all the Teavana stores are like this, but ours sure was.

About Teavana

Great tea works wonders. The delicious tastes and health benefits make tea a wonderful beverage - much better than the unhealthy – Read more