Teach For America

Teach For America Employee Reviews

Wonderful work culture; long hours.
associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 2, 2015
Working at TFA has definitely been a wonderful place to grow. Very talented staffers, although they tend to higher people who are over-qualified for positions. The hours are long, benefits are good, a lot of flexibility. I've cut my teeth here, but the hours might push me to seek another job.
Pros
great work culture, good salary, great benefits, extremely talented staff.
Cons
long hours, a bit hierarchical.
Tough but rewarding.
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 23, 2015
Educate and coach underprivileged students in lower income urban environments with minimal resources and compensation.
Great Culture and Place to Work at
Director of Project Management (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 3, 2016
Teach for America is a great place to work at. Management in general is above par. I always feel supported and challenged. Everybody rallies together to get things done and finds ways to collaborate in achieving goals. The people and workplace culture are amazing. There is a lot of ambiguity, especially as the organization restructures itself.
Firm Goal and Mission
Lead Teacher, Head Soccer Coach, Robotics Coach (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 1, 2016
The goal of what Teach For America is trying to accomplish is clear and attainable. Giving every student the opportunity to succeed is something I firmly believe in and Teach For America was a great fit for me. The Teach for America staff was also very easy to talk to and work with.

Through Teach For America, I received a job placement at Park Forest Middle School in Baton Rouge, LA. Park Forest Middle is the true embodiment of the phrase "play the cards you're dealt." A severely under resourced school, students do not have the same quality of education other schools are able to provide, but my students always made the best of it and achieved high results despite this obstacle. I have learned valuable lessons on being resourceful and creative to bring out quality results and untapped potential.
Great place to work if you aren't ambitious
Assistant (Former Employee) –  RemoteJune 6, 2015
No two days are the same, however there are a standard group of core tasks that you reflect. While working here I noticed that professional development and advancement of employees is greater for those who are alumni of TFA. My manager went from corps to ED and wasn't great at building relationships with staff or navigating without bias. My co-workers were either great friends/allies or self-centered and unwilling to work towards the greater mission.

The hardest part of the job is working towards professional development and advancement only to realize that positions were created with other people in mind who are alumni. The other hard part of the work is working with someone who had no plan, vision, or communication skills, but expected you to read their mind and anticipate their needs. The job allows a lot of travel for professional development which is great for those who like to travel, but can become stressful if you are trying to seek a work/life balance.
Pros
travel, hours
Cons
wages, co-workers, management
Structural Problems
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2016
Teach For America is going through growing pains at the moment and as a result, numerous jobs / projects are changed or eliminated yearly. Culture is difficult to keep strong during the vast amount of changes happening. Leadership among team structures has not been strong or visionary to work through these issues.
Not a good Work- life balance, heavy work loads with long hours
Associate, District & School Partnerships (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 11, 2015
Very heavy work load that they don't reveal to you until after you accept the job. The people are great, and the company has great benefits and they are very involved in the community. They take part in all kinds of projects in Memphis. The most enjoyable part about the job is the people you work with. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the volume of work with quick turnaround deadlines. Management is great and they are big on promoting and developing people within the company.
Pros
no work life balance
Cons
great benefits! good money! great cause!
Good meaning people who lack direction because of too many inadequate managers and very little focus.
Manager, Teacher Leadership and Development (MTLD) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60606April 26, 2016
If you're looking to be developed as a professional, look elsewhere. TFA Chicago is built upon a management structure of people with zero management experience learning how to be managers at your expense.
Pros
Working with kids who really need it
Cons
Too many to list
Great theory awful in reality
corps memeber (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 19, 2015
Relocated for a position that was ultimately changed 3 times. Ended up teaching in a trailer with no air conditioning, desks, books, or nearby restroom. Expected to teach 9 subjects (two separate subjects during the same class time. example: economics to half the class and English 4 to the other half) Professional development and teacher training took up every weekend leaving no time for personal time. I would estimate 90 hours of work put in weekly.
The problem lies in the impossible schedule and the push to do better with zero tools.
Not every one will experience this but the leadership in Florida was very new and still needs many years of development to be of any help.
Pros
kids love you
Cons
everything else
Wonderful Learning Experience with Amazing Purpose/Mission
Secondary English, French, and Journalism Teacher (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 24, 2015
This job was one of the most rewarding jobs in all aspects I could have asked for. As my first job out of college, I was looking to give back to society and grow professionally as well. TFA allowed me a tremendous opportunity to do both, with the most esteemed colleagues, a challenging school placement, and the ability to teach subjects I am extremely passionate about. Management was supportive and offered much needed advice and guidance. Training was tough but prepared me well for the years ahead. Overall it was an incredible three years to work with Teach For America and in the Miami Dade Public Schools.
Great mission
Director, Alumni Program and Impact Evaluation (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 14, 2016
Loved working here. Great opportunity to work for a mission-driven organization. Lots of opportunity for development and mentorship.
A great working culture
Director of Business Analysis/ Corporate Systems (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2016
Teach for America partners with our nation to build education awareness of the inequity in our country. All children deserves an excellent education. Your zip code should not determine your child's access to the best education.
Extremely disorganized
Teacher/ESL Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJJuly 28, 2015
Teachers should expect to be in difficult school situations, but most of the "support" provided by TFA just added increased stress without providing any real solutions for improving in the classroom. Some teachers were placed in schools where they were threatened and/or assaulted.

The organization teaches you to be suspicious of the teachers in any school your work in, and there is a heavy emphasis on designing assessments for TFA to use, rather than on other professional development.

No work-life balance whatsoever.
Pros
Americorps education award
Cons
No work-life balance
Fulfilling Experience
Special Education Secondary Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 10, 2016
The job has very high demands for the work, but at the end of the day Teach For America is filling the void for teachers in low income communities. Each day is a struggle and the work is laborious. I grew tremendously professionally.
Pros
professional development
Cons
lots of work
Innovative and results driven work place
Senior Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2016
TFA is a mission-driven organization that supports but expects strong results from its staff members. You can expect to be surrounded by exceptional colleagues, young but competent managers, and individuals who are passionate about education.
N/a
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 17, 2016
Teach For America was an amazing organization to be a part of. It allowed me to be exposed to the injustice communities face in terms of education in this country.
Rewarding opportunity and a great professional stepping stone
Operations Coordinator Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 4, 2015
Working for Teach For America as a summer intern was an enlightening experience into the realities of Americas education system. While I did not serve as a corps member, I did feel like I was making a contribution toward the effort of education equality in the United States.
HIGHLY extroverted
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 5, 2014
Teach for America has a great goal and does wonderful things. However, as an introvert I was very often exhausted by the sheer number of meetings and projects. The people are really passionate, yet I didn't feel as inspired as I had thought I would be. Perhaps as a teacher you would see more change happen; in operations that was hard to see. But I felt like I had to fit into a mold of a character, and I'm not the personality that fits molds.
In addition, tasks were not well-explained to the point where I frequently had to completely start projects over.
Pros
provided meals, housing, compensation, experience
Cons
high-energy, frustrating
Extremely goal-orientated environment, with driven colleagues
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 11, 2012
For the past two years, I have worked for the non-profitcorporation, Teach For America, as a corps member and kindergarten teacher in Richmond, California. Through this experience I have developed excellentprofession skills in terms of organization, time management, meeting mandatorydeadlines, and working closely with a wide diversity of people. I work to mold not only the minds of my young students, but to train parents on ways they can support their child's learning as well. In addition, I work closely on several committees at my school, which aim to train my fellow colleagues on innovative ways to present academic content to students of all ages and at all performance levels.
Pros
excellent support system, good benefits, exceptional training program
Cons
high demand of working hours on weekends
Corps Member
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 1, 2015
A typical day during institute is exhausting. Your day begins at 5:30 am and professionally ends at 4:30 pm. However, you have intensive lesson plans to complete and prepare, which is devoted for the rest of that day. On the other hand, the information that you will recieve regarding academic achievement is some of the most valubale information I have ever learned. There is not a gurantee that you will get placed for sure, if you don't pass the assessments in the small amount of time from when you are notified of the assessment. The most enjoyable part of the position is seeing the student achievement.
Pros
Gained Valuable Information
Cons
Exhaustive Vague Process