Teach For America Employee Reviews

Makes ure it's what you want
Reading Teacher (Current Employee) –  Texas5 November 2017
Teach for America is a great organization if you are aligned with their viewpoints. It is a lot of work but it is gives you a sense of accomplishment other jobs may not. If it's not what you actually want to do, then I would recommend against it.
Caring Company Culture
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN31 October 2017
I was in the operations branch of TFA Memphis, which was fairly separate from basic Staff. Our branch was very efficient, and our team was close-knit. I enjoyed forming relationships with other staff members. I was slightly unhappy with the management of general Staff, and my inability to work overtime.
Passionate people
Facilities/Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DC22 October 2017
Overall, I enjoyed the fact that I was surrounded by people who were extremely passionate about eradicating educational inequity. However, I learned that even though they say they want you to "think outside the box," you can only do that within their very narrow parameters.
Good place to start for those who have degrees but no experience.
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NY18 October 2017
The people at TFA are very supportive and friendly. Although there are a lot of task to complete in a small amount of time, it is a good place for a recent/out of work college graduate to get on track with working in a professional setting.
Summary
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX17 October 2017
Teach For America allows for teacher collaborations, teacher support, and multiples opportunities for new teacher professional development. Throughout 2 years, there is ongoing support.
Corps Member
Corps member (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MS29 September 2017
The program undermines the communities it works in as well as the corps members who identify with the communities served. The program focuses on numbers not on the actual needs in the community.
Worth it
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC28 September 2017
Teach For America as an organization is great. There are things they have to work on, but they are striving to improve every year. The issue that most people have when leaving TFA has more to do with work separate from TFA (i.e dealing with administration at their respective school).
Pros
Americorps grant funds
Cons
Not nearly enough training to prepare 90% of people for the classroom.
Mission driven and quick paced
Vice President (Current Employee) –  National26 September 2017
Teach For America is a diverse and fast-paced organization that pays specific attention to enabling their employees to be themselves and feel valued for all they have to offer. The work is mission driven which contributes to a team environment, clear purpose, and feeling like the work is more than just a job.
The org is greatly invested in supporting the growth and leadership of staff and give regular opportunities for professional development and focus on career trajectory.
I've been with the org 7 years and see myself staying on and potentially experiencing new areas of work to build my competencies and skills. The org has a history of being open to movement between areas of focus i.e. regional leadership to human assets to govt affairs based on where you're building experience.
Great mission, poor leadership
SOA Architect/Managing Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NY15 September 2017
I was attracted to the mission of TFA. For many years the organization provided a great service to the country. When leadership changed the focus on the mission waned and the organization began to flounder. I loved the people I worked with.
Pros
Great mission, good people
Cons
Management disarray. Lack of focus and direction from the top.
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MA13 September 2017
Being a Corps Member was awesome. Teach For America has its negative opinions, but when you go into the organization for the right reasons and aren't afraid to challenge what you think should change, great things come from it. The networking is amazing, and it's because of Teach For America that I decided to stay in the classroom unlike my original plan to use it as a stepping stone to get into law school like many people do.
what you learned
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL13 September 2017
before you decide on what region you would like to teach for please review it carefully. Not every region will be a good fit for each person. I would look into things such as the certification cost, cost of living, reviews on that particular region and the school district, and what you will have to do to become certified in that state. DO NOT TAKE YOUR REGION PREFERENCE LIGHTLY!
Great mission, in general wonderful people
Manager, Development and Strategy (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LA10 September 2017
Great mission, sometimes people get too focused on talking about the work instead of actually doing the work. Had excellent managers, very focused on developing professionals.
Life-Changing Experience
Greater Philadelphia Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA20 August 2017
Teach for America is amazing, and allows you to make a difference in the lives of students across the country. It is an amazing way to make a lasting difference.

However, the program is extremely intense, and everyone considering the program needs to expect to be spending at least 100-110 hours a week working on various things, especially if you select a region with mandatory graduate school.
Pros
Relationships, Opportunities after the corps
Cons
No work life balance
Great Place to Grow Your Career
8th Grade Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX13 August 2017
TFA afforded me opportunities to lead, create, and put my visions into action. As a teacher you partake in monthly trainings to improve your effectiveness in the classroom, a manager that monitors your progress for quick feedback, and resources that are helpful on a daily basis.
Changing America ONE Classroom at a time!
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL12 August 2017
Selected as one of 5,300 accepted candidates out of 45,000 applicants (12% acceptance rate) to teach under-resourced school district across the nation.
Amazing
Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN10 August 2017
Teach For America was a wonderful place to work. Management was always very flexible, and open to new ideas. Benefits where also amazing, and coworkers were also fantastic.
Pros
Lots of paid time off, and flexible work environment. Could also work from home.
Cons
Productive, learning, and competitive environment.
Corps Member and Teacher, Grades (Former Employee) –  New York, NY8 August 2017
Teach for America is a great kickstart to beginning a teaching career in a low income neighborhood. The organization is very competitive, yet, when one becomes a member, they become a lifelong family member. Teach for America serves to provide close support for members, but members should be prepared to seek independent knowledge and skills before becoming part of this environment. I recommend Teach for America to those passionate about teaching the youth and transforming lives within their communities, especially low-income communities.
Personal Learning Experience
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL7 August 2017
Learned how to manage work-life balance. Underwent high highs and low lows with my relationships with students and other staff members. I learned how to relate to people who I share very little with.
Most importantly, I learned how to operate under my locus of control, meaning I found out what I was realistically able to do to effectively progress my students' lives, and what was unrealistic. Finding my locus of control lead to a happier and healthier life for me and the children whom I was responsible for.
Pros
Unique opportunity, Livable wage, Lasting relationships, Never boring
Cons
Little support, uncoordinated leadership at times
Easy but not fulfilling
Temporary Project Management Generalist (Former Employee) –  New York, NY28 July 2017
You waste so much time not doing anything I almost feel bad getting paid. Work load was so easy Id finish a days work in around 2 hours and roam around the city until they gave me more work.
Family like environment
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI24 July 2017
Fun environment and I absolutely love the people that I worked with, but I didn't see a clear path for advancement given my career aspirations. Learned a great deal about our current education system and how I can be an advocate for kids in my future career field.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teach For America. Our community is ready to answer.