Teach For America Employee Reviews

supportive
Corps Member- Elementary Education (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL18 July 2017
The MTLD's are always there for the support of the corps members. The stand true to the mission statement of the organization and work hard to ensure that the members feel welcomed and prepared.
Pros
Educational Stipend
Cons
2 year commitment
Valued and Supported
Teacher/Teach For America Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Caldwell, ID14 July 2017
The staff at Teach for America-Idaho worked tirelessly to support the teachers in the treasure valley region. They were willing to do anything necessary to make the lives of their corps members better.
Dedicated people working for a great cause!
Community and Advocacy Leader (Former Employee) –  Rio Grande Valley, TX12 July 2017
I had a great experience with this company, it is rigorous work but definitely worth it! Teach for America is really good at bringing out leadership skills in their corps members.
dedicated, sticks to what their mission says
CAMPUS CAMPAIGN COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IA5 July 2017
I was an intern but I did a lot of short speeches, events, campaigns for recruiting purposes. I worked with sales force and did a lot of building talent pipelines as well. Management is supportive and on point always!
Placing educators in underserved schools to fight educational inequity.
Teacher/Educator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX24 June 2017
It was an honor (and still is) for me to be a part of the 2015 Houston Corp alongside so many driven and passionate individuals, courtesy of Teach for America. I have learned many things over the past two years, but the main item that stands alone is the idea of just how important education is in our country more than ever. It was a pleasure working for KIPP Houston High School and I plan to continue creating an impact on the educational sector while pursuing the medical field by studying and researching public health (and lack thereof), so that one of the many variables causing underprivileged minority students of today may be closer to finding itself a solution.
Great place to work!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO24 June 2017
Love it! They enlist, develop, and mobilize as many as possible of our nation's most promising future leaders to grow and strengthen the movement for educational equity and excellence.
Pros
Work remotely, amazing benefits
Cons
Difference between regional teams and national teams
Fair, but fast paced
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD23 June 2017
In order to succeed in TFA, you will need to be able to adapt to a fast-paced environment. You must also be self-motivated because there will be times where you may not feel support. It is important to always communicate these needs to your regional director or MTLD.
Teach For America's mission and people are extraordinary.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJ13 June 2017
TFA and their network of people have inspired and changed the world for the better. We strive to educate one student at a time and are committed to a lifelong mission of improving education.
Pros
I loved the leadership, and the students.
Cons
We are sent to the most in need places nationwide.
Great place to work.
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO13 June 2017
I was the first one in the office each day and greeting each staff member coming into the office. Just seeing their smiles made my day when I greeted them.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Very Productive and Organized
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH 452025 June 2017
Is a very relaxed and quiet place to work. Everybody is nice and are will to help others when needed. Where I work, everybody works together no matter what issue comes up.
TFA teacher
First Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mississippi2 June 2017
The program is dedicated to teaching students in areas with educational inequality. The program covers all grade levels and focuses on students in low income areas.
Pros
a large teaching cohort
Cons
No work/life balance, poor training
Intense commitment
Special Education Teacher/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA31 May 2017
Be prepared to commit all of your time to the cause. Work atmosphere is more of self-learning than actually being taught everything. Quick learners thrive here.
Worked as an Americorp Memember
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NY24 May 2017
I worked as a Teach for America corps member from 2013-2015. TFA provided support to me and fellow teachers. This was not a traditional job, but more of a supportive relationship.
Pros
Support for teachers
Cons
Does not provide job hunting support once corps ended
Run While you Still Can!
Elementary School Teacher (5th & 6th grades) (Former Employee) –  New York, NY21 May 2017
Horrible! Idealistic co-workers , no support, and extremely challenging. You teach in terrible schools and are expected to perform miracles. My TFA mentor was horrible. I struggled so badly they asked me to leave. I refused. Wish I did.
Teach for America in OKC
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK18 May 2017
Great program with an exceptional staff in OKC! Working hard and tirelessly to advance educational equality and close the achievement gap! A wonderful program to be a part of!
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI12 May 2017
Great professional development and experiences that open doors. Supervisors actually care about work-life balance as well as personal growth. This is more than a job, it really is an opportunity to work with people who are committed to education equity.
Hard work, but can be rewarding
Head Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL30 April 2017
Much of your experience will be based on the school that you end up working at and the individuals you end up working for. This is impossible to determine before you take a job as a Corps Member.
Passionate and hard working corps members, teachers burn out quickly
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL30 April 2017
Corps members often stay past two-year teaching commitment. Corps members are incredibly hard working and supportive of one another throughout their 2 years together. Corps member truly care about students.
Pros
Passionate teachers, strong "family" feeling among corps members
Cons
Little support from Teach For America during 2 years, summer institute is ineffective and does not prepare teachers
A place to grow
Director, Teacher Leadership Development (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV23 April 2017
Teach for America has a highly competitive culture and staff often leaves within three years. As an employee I was provided with some great professional development for the first 3 years but then began to feel stagnant.
Motivating and Inspirational
Greater Cleveland Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OH23 April 2017
While working in some of the toughest schools, the staff at Teach For America is upbeat, personable, and resilient. They are always there to lend out any support or help a Corps Member may need.
Pros
Lots of opportunity to grow and learn

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teach For America. Our community is ready to answer.