Teach For America Employee Reviews

Great benefits, good cause, but unstable environment
Director, Reporting (Current Employee) –  Remote26 November 2016
Teach for America is an organization focused on improving educational outcomes for kids across the United States. Many of the positions are remote and you'll have the advantage of a flexible workday and the opportunity to work with talented colleagues across the country. Compensation and benefits are impressive for a non-profit.

High turnover and a series of internal restructurings have made for an unstable environment in the company. It is not uncommon for staff to have a new manager on a yearly basis. With that said, the organization is constantly trying out new ideas and there are ample opportunities to try something new.
Pros
Compensation, benefits, quality colleagues
Cons
High turnover
Good place to work if you care about creating change for families and students in high poverty communities.
TFA Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC15 August 2016
Great place to work if you are looking to build a career supporting high poverty schools and communities. This company is growing in its work around diversity, equity and inclusion with a heavy focus on race. There are 53 TFA regions in the United States. The hardest part about the job is managing work life balance because the work demands a lot from you in order to do a really great job.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great benefits, push to be creative and think outside the box, working for students from low income backgrounds, diversity across national organization
Cons
Long hours and work life balance
Excellent experience if you're up for the challenge
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN21 September 2016
Had I known what I was getting into, I may have thought twice about signing up, however now looking back I'm very glad I dedicated two years to public service and challenged myself in ways I did not think were possible. TFA made me a stronger person and professional.
Pros
Lots of support, positive team culture, passionate and driven people
Cons
Depending on your placement region you can expect completely different experiences
Great network
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ2 November 2016
Overall, I had a very positive experience with Teach For America. I felt well-supported throughout my corps experience, and my peers were equally motivated and hard-working. The hardest part was the work-life balance.
A great new start
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MI10 November 2016
If your looking for something new. This is it, it's a lot of work not really ideal for people with young families. But if you are tired of the career you are in currently they do create a new opportunity to teach in districts that need more help.
Wonderful work culture; long hours.
associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NY2 November 2015
Working at TFA has definitely been a wonderful place to grow. Very talented staffers, although they tend to higher people who are over-qualified for positions. The hours are long, benefits are good, a lot of flexibility. I've cut my teeth here, but the hours might push me to seek another job.
Pros
great work culture, good salary, great benefits, extremely talented staff.
Cons
long hours, a bit hierarchical.
Antithesis To Teaching
Public School Advocate (Former Employee) –  New York City Area27 August 2016
Simply put, five weeks does not make you a teacher. If you truly want to help kids, enroll in an accredited education program at a university or college. Otherwise, you'll do major harm to our most neediest kids and you don't want to do that. Cities across the country have cut their ties with Teach For America and with good reason. It's a costly gimmick and the average TFA graduate stays 2 years or less. Our kids deserve better than a novice at best.
Fabulous experience that changed the trajectory of my career
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO5 December 2016
-Extremely demanding, yet very rewarding
-Worked a minimum of 10 hours per day
-Learned how to build relationships with students and families and have used those relationships to help students achieve
Depends on the district
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC13 December 2016
CMS is a scary place to work not organized and very political. If you actually care for students you wont last long! Document everything and Cover yourself at all costs! Take mental health days when needed.
Campus Campaign Coordinator while still an undergrad student
Campus Campaign Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OR27 September 2016
As an undergraduate student, I was able to gain employment through TFA by being a campus campaign coordinator. This means I was able to market, advertise, and help other with their applications. Amazing opportunity.
Rewarding and Challenging Experience
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MA16 September 2016
Days vary in their pattern and from school location to school location. While the work is difficult, it is often worth the effort put in. Long, irregular hours can be expected.
Requires full commitment
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CA23 November 2016
This job is not for those who seek a break from school. Quite the contrary, this job demands 10+ hour days your first two years. In addition to work, you are enrolled full time as a graduate student.
Core values: great idea, poor execution, and failed leadership
Information Technology Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY4 August 2016
Core values: Respect & Humility, Diversity, Transformational Change, Leadership, and Team.

Coming in this felt like my dream job, but a lack structure and loose compliance to finance, work from home, and accepted job norms soon turned my work environment into a paid social experiment resembling a last-chance high school.

People were promoted without education and skill to fulfill new duties, projects were frequently set back by workers abusing work from home policy, budgeting was all but non-existent, and HR and key personnel failed to act in the face of multiple complaints.

Empathy was cited repeatedly by failed leadership in excusing running a business like a second chance high school for the uninspired.

Had any of the core values been modestly executed TFA could have been a great place to work. I met a handful of amazingly talented and sincere people at the company, but most people lacked discipline, judgment, and initiative. I quit after more than three years of staff. Working at TFA felt like being on a sinking ship without enough life boats.
Pros
Generous work from home and open door policy, lots of free food
Cons
Generous work from home and open door policy, lots of free food
Not a good Work- life balance, heavy work loads with long hours
Associate, District & School Partnerships (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TN11 January 2015
Very heavy work load that they don't reveal to you until after you accept the job. The people are great, and the company has great benefits and they are very involved in the community. They take part in all kinds of projects in Memphis. The most enjoyable part about the job is the people you work with. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the volume of work with quick turnaround deadlines. Management is great and they are big on promoting and developing people within the company.
Pros
No work life balance
Cons
Great Benefits! Good Money! Great Cause!
Tough but rewarding.
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ23 December 2015
Educate and coach underprivileged students in lower income urban environments with minimal resources and compensation.
Extremely goal-orientated environment, with driven colleagues
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA11 April 2012
For the past two years, I have worked for the non-profitcorporation, Teach For America, as a corps member and kindergarten teacher in Richmond, California. Through this experience I have developed excellentprofession skills in terms of organization, time management, meeting mandatorydeadlines, and working closely with a wide diversity of people. I work to mold not only the minds of my young students, but to train parents on ways they can support their child's learning as well. In addition, I work closely on several committees at my school, which aim to train my fellow colleagues on innovative ways to present academic content to students of all ages and at all performance levels.
Pros
excellent support system, good benefits, exceptional training program
Cons
high demand of working hours on weekends
Good meaning people who lack direction because of too many inadequate managers and very little focus.
Manager, Teacher Leadership and Development (MTLD) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 6060626 April 2016
If you're looking to be developed as a professional, look elsewhere. TFA Chicago is built upon a management structure of people with zero management experience learning how to be managers at your expense.
Pros
Working with kids who really need it
Cons
Too many to list
Fun and amazing support
Content Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD27 July 2016
I love teach for america, it is an amazing organization that supports and challenges its employees. It is one of the most supportive group that sets an incredible example for its employees.
Pros
Non Profit
Good experience
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA10 August 2016
Completing the two year program was fun overall, but challenging to balance attending classes right after school and then lesson planning for my actual class for my students.
HIGHLY extroverted
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK5 September 2014
Teach for America has a great goal and does wonderful things. However, as an introvert I was very often exhausted by the sheer number of meetings and projects. The people are really passionate, yet I didn't feel as inspired as I had thought I would be. Perhaps as a teacher you would see more change happen; in operations that was hard to see. But I felt like I had to fit into a mold of a character, and I'm not the personality that fits molds.
In addition, tasks were not well-explained to the point where I frequently had to completely start projects over.
Pros
provided meals, housing, compensation, experience
Cons
high-energy, frustrating