Teach For America Employee Reviews

Requires full commitment
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CA23 November 2016
This job is not for those who seek a break from school. Quite the contrary, this job demands 10+ hour days your first two years. In addition to work, you are enrolled full time as a graduate student.
A great new start
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MI10 November 2016
If your looking for something new. This is it, it's a lot of work not really ideal for people with young families. But if you are tired of the career you are in currently they do create a new opportunity to teach in districts that need more help.
Great network
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ2 November 2016
Overall, I had a very positive experience with Teach For America. I felt well-supported throughout my corps experience, and my peers were equally motivated and hard-working. The hardest part was the work-life balance.
Campus Campaign Coordinator while still an undergrad student
Campus Campaign Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OR27 September 2016
As an undergraduate student, I was able to gain employment through TFA by being a campus campaign coordinator. This means I was able to market, advertise, and help other with their applications. Amazing opportunity.
Excellent experience if you're up for the challenge
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN21 September 2016
Had I known what I was getting into, I may have thought twice about signing up, however now looking back I'm very glad I dedicated two years to public service and challenged myself in ways I did not think were possible. TFA made me a stronger person and professional.
Pros
Lots of support, positive team culture, passionate and driven people
Cons
Depending on your placement region you can expect completely different experiences
Rewarding and Challenging Experience
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MA16 September 2016
Days vary in their pattern and from school location to school location. While the work is difficult, it is often worth the effort put in. Long, irregular hours can be expected.
Antithesis To Teaching
Public School Advocate (Former Employee) –  New York City Area27 August 2016
Simply put, five weeks does not make you a teacher. If you truly want to help kids, enroll in an accredited education program at a university or college. Otherwise, you'll do major harm to our most neediest kids and you don't want to do that. Cities across the country have cut their ties with Teach For America and with good reason. It's a costly gimmick and the average TFA graduate stays 2 years or less. Our kids deserve better than a novice at best.
Good place to work if you care about creating change for families and students in high poverty communities.
TFA Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC15 August 2016
Great place to work if you are looking to build a career supporting high poverty schools and communities. This company is growing in its work around diversity, equity and inclusion with a heavy focus on race. There are 53 TFA regions in the United States. The hardest part about the job is managing work life balance because the work demands a lot from you in order to do a really great job.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great benefits, push to be creative and think outside the box, working for students from low income backgrounds, diversity across national organization
Cons
Long hours and work life balance
Good experience
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA10 August 2016
Completing the two year program was fun overall, but challenging to balance attending classes right after school and then lesson planning for my actual class for my students.
Core values: great idea, poor execution, and failed leadership
Information Technology Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY4 August 2016
Core values: Respect & Humility, Diversity, Transformational Change, Leadership, and Team.

Coming in this felt like my dream job, but a lack structure and loose compliance to finance, work from home, and accepted job norms soon turned my work environment into a paid social experiment resembling a last-chance high school.

People were promoted without education and skill to fulfill new duties, projects were frequently set back by workers abusing work from home policy, budgeting was all but non-existent, and HR and key personnel failed to act in the face of multiple complaints.

Empathy was cited repeatedly by failed leadership in excusing running a business like a second chance high school for the uninspired.

Had any of the core values been modestly executed TFA could have been a great place to work. I met a handful of amazingly talented and sincere people at the company, but most people lacked discipline, judgment, and initiative. I quit after more than three years of staff. Working at TFA felt like being on a sinking ship without enough life boats.
Pros
Generous work from home and open door policy, lots of free food
Cons
Generous work from home and open door policy, lots of free food
Fun and amazing support
Content Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD27 July 2016
I love teach for america, it is an amazing organization that supports and challenges its employees. It is one of the most supportive group that sets an incredible example for its employees.
Pros
Non Profit
Cons
Loved it. Hard. but worth it
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX26 June 2016
Teach For America is the best TFA region in the U.S. It requires a very individualized approach to success. TFA Dallas is one of those.. you get in what you put in regions. Take advantage of every relationship and opportunity they have to offer.
Non-profit work in Education
Teach For America Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TN22 June 2016
Teach For America is an organization that works to close the gap in education inequity. They frequently provide professional development centered on the needs of inner-city students.
Passion is a requirement
Corps Member/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TX20 June 2016
The organization equips highly motivated individuals, who have a strong passion for the work, to help students excel. It's a great fit for someone who's passionate and willing to do the work.
Good meaning people who lack direction because of too many inadequate managers and very little focus.
Manager, Teacher Leadership and Development (MTLD) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 6060626 April 2016
If you're looking to be developed as a professional, look elsewhere. TFA Chicago is built upon a management structure of people with zero management experience learning how to be managers at your expense.
Pros
Working with kids who really need it
Cons
Too many to list
GREAT people!
Technical Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OK4 April 2016
Super awesome group of people to support you throughout and help you learn. It is unfortunate how underfunded they are, which is why everyone employed has to work so hard and which is why it helps that there is tremendous support.
A great working culture
Director of Business Analysis/ Corporate Systems (Current Employee) –  New York, NY22 March 2016
Teach for America partners with our nation to build education awareness of the inequity in our country. All children deserves an excellent education. Your zip code should not determine your child's access to the best education.
Great mission
Director, Alumni Program and Impact Evaluation (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VA14 March 2016
Loved working here. Great opportunity to work for a mission-driven organization. Lots of opportunity for development and mentorship.
Great Culture and Place to Work at
Director of Project Management (Current Employee) –  New York, NY3 March 2016
Teach for America is a great place to work at. Management in general is above par. I always feel supported and challenged. Everybody rallies together to get things done and finds ways to collaborate in achieving goals. The people and workplace culture are amazing. There is a lot of ambiguity, especially as the organization restructures itself.
Structural Problems
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NY2 March 2016
Teach For America is going through growing pains at the moment and as a result, numerous jobs / projects are changed or eliminated yearly. Culture is difficult to keep strong during the vast amount of changes happening. Leadership among team structures has not been strong or visionary to work through these issues.