Teach For America

Teach For America Employee Reviews

Antithesis To Teaching
Public School Advocate (Former Employee) –  New York City AreaAugust 27, 2016
Simply put, five weeks does not make you a teacher. If you truly want to help kids, enroll in an accredited education program at a university or college. Otherwise, you'll do major harm to our most neediest kids and you don't want to do that. Cities across the country have cut their ties with Teach For America and with good reason. It's a costly gimmick and the average TFA graduate stays 2 years or less. Our kids deserve better than a novice at best.
Good meaning people who lack direction because of too many inadequate managers and very little focus.
Manager, Teacher Leadership and Development (MTLD) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60606April 26, 2016
If you're looking to be developed as a professional, look elsewhere. TFA Chicago is built upon a management structure of people with zero management experience learning how to be managers at your expense.
Pros
Working with kids who really need it
Cons
Too many to list
Loved it. Hard. but worth it
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 26, 2016
Teach For America is the best TFA region in the U.S. It requires a very individualized approach to success. TFA Dallas is one of those.. you get in what you put in regions. Take advantage of every relationship and opportunity they have to offer.
Great Culture and Place to Work at
Director of Project Management (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 3, 2016
Teach for America is a great place to work at. Management in general is above par. I always feel supported and challenged. Everybody rallies together to get things done and finds ways to collaborate in achieving goals. The people and workplace culture are amazing. There is a lot of ambiguity, especially as the organization restructures itself.
Firm Goal and Mission
Lead Teacher, Head Soccer Coach, Robotics Coach (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 1, 2016
The goal of what Teach For America is trying to accomplish is clear and attainable. Giving every student the opportunity to succeed is something I firmly believe in and Teach For America was a great fit for me. The Teach for America staff was also very easy to talk to and work with.

Through Teach For America, I received a job placement at Park Forest Middle School in Baton Rouge, LA. Park Forest Middle is the true embodiment of the phrase "play the cards you're dealt." A severely under resourced school, students do not have the same quality of education other schools are able to provide, but my students always made the best of it and achieved high results despite this obstacle. I have learned valuable lessons on being resourceful and creative to bring out quality results and untapped potential.
Fun and amazing support
Content Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 27, 2016
I love teach for america, it is an amazing organization that supports and challenges its employees. It is one of the most supportive group that sets an incredible example for its employees.
Pros
Non Profit
Non-profit work in Education
Teach For America Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 22, 2016
Teach For America is an organization that works to close the gap in education inequity. They frequently provide professional development centered on the needs of inner-city students.
Structural Problems
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2016
Teach For America is going through growing pains at the moment and as a result, numerous jobs / projects are changed or eliminated yearly. Culture is difficult to keep strong during the vast amount of changes happening. Leadership among team structures has not been strong or visionary to work through these issues.
Passion is a requirement
Corps Member/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 20, 2016
The organization equips highly motivated individuals, who have a strong passion for the work, to help students excel. It's a great fit for someone who's passionate and willing to do the work.
A great working culture
Director of Business Analysis/ Corporate Systems (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2016
Teach for America partners with our nation to build education awareness of the inequity in our country. All children deserves an excellent education. Your zip code should not determine your child's access to the best education.
GREAT people!
Technical Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 4, 2016
Super awesome group of people to support you throughout and help you learn. It is unfortunate how underfunded they are, which is why everyone employed has to work so hard and which is why it helps that there is tremendous support.
Good experience
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 10, 2016
Completing the two year program was fun overall, but challenging to balance attending classes right after school and then lesson planning for my actual class for my students.
Fulfilling Experience
Special Education Secondary Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 10, 2016
The job has very high demands for the work, but at the end of the day Teach For America is filling the void for teachers in low income communities. Each day is a struggle and the work is laborious. I grew tremendously professionally.
Pros
professional development
Cons
lots of work
Innovative and results driven work place
Senior Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2016
TFA is a mission-driven organization that supports but expects strong results from its staff members. You can expect to be surrounded by exceptional colleagues, young but competent managers, and individuals who are passionate about education.
Great theory awful in reality
corps memeber (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 19, 2015
Relocated for a position that was ultimately changed 3 times. Ended up teaching in a trailer with no air conditioning, desks, books, or nearby restroom. Expected to teach 9 subjects (two separate subjects during the same class time. example: economics to half the class and English 4 to the other half) Professional development and teacher training took up every weekend leaving no time for personal time. I would estimate 90 hours of work put in weekly.
The problem lies in the impossible schedule and the push to do better with zero tools.
Not every one will experience this but the leadership in Florida was very new and still needs many years of development to be of any help.
Pros
kids love you
Cons
everything else
Rewarding opportunity and a great professional stepping stone
Operations Coordinator Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 4, 2015
Working for Teach For America as a summer intern was an enlightening experience into the realities of Americas education system. While I did not serve as a corps member, I did feel like I was making a contribution toward the effort of education equality in the United States.
Great mission
Director, Alumni Program and Impact Evaluation (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 14, 2016
Loved working here. Great opportunity to work for a mission-driven organization. Lots of opportunity for development and mentorship.
Wonderful work culture; long hours.
associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 2, 2015
Working at TFA has definitely been a wonderful place to grow. Very talented staffers, although they tend to higher people who are over-qualified for positions. The hours are long, benefits are good, a lot of flexibility. I've cut my teeth here, but the hours might push me to seek another job.
Pros
great work culture, good salary, great benefits, extremely talented staff.
Cons
long hours, a bit hierarchical.
Education reform is meaningful, hard work
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2015
Worked as a elementary teacher in Chicago Public Schools on the South Side of the city in a very impoverished area.
Greatly enjoyed the opportunity to teach my students about the importance of education for improving their quality of life and fostering feelings of self-efficacy.
Core values: great idea, poor execution, and failed leadership
Information Technology Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 4, 2016
Core values: Respect & Humility, Diversity, Transformational Change, Leadership, and Team.

Coming in this felt like my dream job, but a lack structure and loose compliance to finance, work from home, and accepted job norms soon turned my work environment into a paid social experiment resembling a last-chance high school.

People were promoted without education and skill to fulfill new duties, projects were frequently set back by workers abusing work from home policy, budgeting was all but non-existent, and HR and key personnel failed to act in the face of multiple complaints.

Empathy was cited repeatedly by failed leadership in excusing running a business like a second chance high school for the uninspired.

Had any of the core values been modestly executed TFA could have been a great place to work. I met a handful of amazingly talented and sincere people at the company, but most people lacked discipline, judgment, and initiative. I quit after more than three years of staff. Working at TFA felt like being on a sinking ship without enough life boats.
Pros
Generous work from home and open door policy, lots of free food
Cons
Generous work from home and open door policy, lots of free food