Teach For America

Teach For America Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Extremely Challenging Work
8th Grade Social Studies Teacher & Team Lead (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHDecember 14, 2014
Pros: experience, hands on skill development, flexible work schedule after hours
Cons: always working, low pay
Teach for America is very rewarding however the experience varies school to school and city to city. The corps can offer great professional development or completely leave out what the school itself will demand.

If you are at a school with bad administration, you might find yourself working all the time. However, this experience builds basic skills – more... so quickly and is very much an experience that everyone should have. – less
It was great experience working with Teach for America & my team members.
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 9, 2014
For my last project, I was responsible for writing test cases, test case review, requirements validation, monitoring the execution of manual and automated test case. I prepared test summary report and communicate test status to leaders and prepared corresponding documents. I was also responsible for ensuring project plan changes are incorporated in – more... test plan. I wrote a test plan and test strategy and make sure the work is going according to the test plan. I identified the risks and tried to mitigate them. At the end of project testing life cycle I ensured that all test objectives are accomplished and acceptance criteria was met. I was always focus on handling the challenges in my project so that my team and project will grow and perform well. All my team members and leaders were very co-operative and helpful. All of, the management side was great too.
I learned, challenge is the part of job and always motivate to get new challenges in my life. – less
Truly values people
Manager, Recruitment (Former Employee), Ann Arbor, MIDecember 9, 2014
Their HR team is referred to as "Human Assets"- this really sums up the culture at TFA. People are expected to work hard and give a lot of themselves to their work, but employees are valued and lots of professional development is given.
Tough but rewarding work
Corps Member (Former Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 27, 2014
Some support from management. Every day is a grind but the two years goes by quickly.
Great employer for the gritty
Teacher (Current Employee), Miami, FLNovember 23, 2014
Teaching in a low income community is not for the faint of heart. It is a life changing experience, but the salary of a teacher leaves much to be desired.
Great team environment!
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXNovember 4, 2014
My role at the office is to keep things running smoothly through a professional relationship with outside vendors, community members, and staff team
-Phenomenal management!
Teacher, 6th 7th 8th grade math & Algebra 1 (Former Employee), Charleston, SCOctober 31, 2014
TFA provided a great foundation for me professionally while helping to move toward education equity.
Personal Growth through development of others
TEACHER (Current Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 26, 2014
I went through a seven week training course to help me adjust to having my own classroom over the summer, and then I was given help to teach at a school in Memphis. It was a very difficult adjustment, but it helped me to grow as a leader and over time I found myself building a lot of solid relationships with my students.
Good entry into a professional field.
8th grade Science Teacher (Current Employee), Camden, NJOctober 26, 2014
Allowed you to enter a field you're passionate about that is rather difficult to break in to.
Merrill Lynch
6th Grade Math and Science - Corps Member (Former Employee), Hartford, CTOctober 20, 2014
Was an intern here. Learned a lot from numerous people. All willing to teach and answer any questions you have.
Leadership Opportunity - not for everyone
Corps Member (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: working with students, pedigree, opportunities after
Cons: long hours, not enough training/support, difficult schools
As a corps member with TFA, you will develop so many skills you never thought you had. But, you have to be willing to entire a high-stakes environment with patience, perseverance and a determination to serve others.
HIGHLY extroverted
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: provided meals, housing, compensation, experience
Cons: high-energy, frustrating
Teach for America has a great goal and does wonderful things. However, as an introvert I was very often exhausted by the sheer number of meetings and projects. The people are really passionate, yet I didn't feel as inspired as I had thought I would be. Perhaps as a teacher you would see more change happen; in operations that was hard to see. But I felt – more... like I had to fit into a mold of a character, and I'm not the personality that fits molds.
In addition, tasks were not well-explained to the point where I frequently had to completely start projects over. – less
Demanding Teaching Positions in Public Education
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 4, 2014
Long hours are a must to be an effective educator within the short professional development that is offered. There is a lot of stress associated with the jobs offered within the realm of Public Education.

The best part of this organization is the Vision to offer all children an equal and just education. Management is always willing to help in any way – more... that they can and there are many ways to move up in the organization. – less
Training Intensive Program with a Strong Social-Political Statement
Early Childhood Education Teacher (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 15, 2014
Pros: supportive learning environment for first year educators
Cons: healthcare
A typical training day in Teach For America begins at 7:30 am at my school training site. At my school site from 7:30-7:45, I would begin preparing materials for pre-k students to arrive. I taught and co-taught half days, which meant at 1 pm I would leave my school site for professional development. From 1pm to 6pm would begin PD covering a wide range – more... of topics from TALK strategies, Head Start Regulations, Unit Planning, Creative Curriculum, lesson planning, behavioral management practices including the No Non-sense Nurturer approach, and GOLD objectives. The last part of the evening was reserved for socratic seminar discussion on inequities in education, until usually 7 or 8pm.

I learned how to shape my time management skills even tighter than previous experiences, and I learned effective teaching strategies through a rooted philosophy of student led play (pre-K) and teacher objective driven lessons. I worked in a collaborative of four people in a Chicago co-hort of close to forty corps members. Each member of my collaborative brought unique skills to the table to learn from, and as a group we collaborated on classroom decisions. The most difficult part of the job was in collaborating on classroom decisions, as each of us were training to become lead teachers. The most enjoyable part of the job was every morning for me, when my students would arrive. In a pre-K environment at a community based organization parents are often required to enter the room in the morning. The relationships built with the parents were often the key to a successful day for each student. The morning arrival was my favorite part of my day because I could gauge from parents and students what each student was going to need that particular day, in order for it to be a successful day academically and emotionally. – less
Great!
Corps Member (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 5, 2014
Commitment to teach for 2 years and participate in annual professional development
Rigorous, Challenging, and Rewarding position
High School Language Arts Teacher (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 30, 2014
Teach for America is a rigorous two year AmeriCorp program where they place recent graduates in high needs/high poverty schools. My job required me to make lesson plans, manage classroom, measure data, and invest my students in higher education.
Life Changing Experience
Corps Member (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 19, 2014
This entire experience changed my life completely. I was forced outside of my comfort zone, however, after two years of teaching, I learned more about myself as a leader.
Challenging, but rewarding
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 16, 2014
Working for Teach for America is challenging, but there is constant motivation in the work you do everyday!
Productive and encouraging environment
Corps Member Advisor (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 14, 2014
Great company to work for. A lot of intelligent people working towards the mission statement and ensuring that employees maximize their work time.
TFA values diversity and attracts extremely high-achieving graduates
6th Grade Reading Teacher (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 14, 2014
Pros: building relationships with kids, learning everyday, incredible co-workers, collaborative environment
Cons: work life-balance is extremely difficult to achieve, you are not compensated for the amount of hours you put into this job
I worked with wonderful people and was challenged each and everyday I went to work.
I loved how different each day was and was never once bored as a teacher.
The staff at Yes Prep was amazing and very unified.
Working with children was a privilege and also an incredibly challenging task.

1 2 3 4

About Teach For America

All kids—no matter where they live, how much money their parents make, or what their skin color is – deserve access – Read more

Teach For America Photos