Teach For America

Teach For America Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good meaning people who lack direction because of too many inadequate managers and very little focus.
Manager, Teacher Leadership and Development (MTLD) (Former Employee), Chicago, IL 60606April 26, 2016
Pros: Working with kids who really need it
Cons: Too many to list
If you're looking to be developed as a professional, look elsewhere. TFA Chicago is built upon a management structure of people with zero management experience learning how to be managers at your expense.
A great working culture
Director of Business Analysis/ Corporate Systems (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 22, 2016
Teach for America partners with our nation to build education awareness of the inequity in our country. All children deserves an excellent education. Your zip code should not determine your child's access to the best education.
Great mission
Director, Alumni Program and Impact Evaluation (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 14, 2016
Loved working here. Great opportunity to work for a mission-driven organization. Lots of opportunity for development and mentorship.
Great Culture and Place to Work at
Director of Project Management (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 3, 2016
Teach for America is a great place to work at. Management in general is above par. I always feel supported and challenged. Everybody rallies together to get things done and finds ways to collaborate in achieving goals. The people and workplace culture are amazing. There is a lot of ambiguity, especially as the organization restructures itself.
Structural Problems
Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 2, 2016
Teach For America is going through growing pains at the moment and as a result, numerous jobs / projects are changed or eliminated yearly. Culture is difficult to keep strong during the vast amount of changes happening. Leadership among team structures has not been strong or visionary to work through these issues.
Firm Goal and Mission
Lead Teacher, Head Soccer Coach, Robotics Coach (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAMarch 1, 2016
The goal of what Teach For America is trying to accomplish is clear and attainable. Giving every student the opportunity to succeed is something I firmly believe in and Teach For America was a great fit for me. The Teach for America staff was also very easy to talk to and work with.

Through Teach For America, I received a job placement at Park Forest Middle School in Baton Rouge, LA. Park Forest Middle is the true embodiment of the phrase "play the cards you're dealt." A severely under resourced school, students do not have the same quality of education other schools are able to provide, but my students always made the best of it and achieved high results despite this obstacle. I have learned valuable lessons on being resourceful and creative to bring out quality results and untapped potential.
N/a
Corps Member (Former Employee), Memphis, TNFebruary 17, 2016
Teach For America was an amazing organization to be a part of. It allowed me to be exposed to the injustice communities face in terms of education in this country.
Fulfilling Experience
Special Education Secondary Teacher (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJanuary 10, 2016
Pros: professional development
Cons: lots of work
The job has very high demands for the work, but at the end of the day Teach For America is filling the void for teachers in low income communities. Each day is a struggle and the work is laborious. I grew tremendously professionally.
Innovative and results driven work place
Senior Managing Director (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2016
TFA is a mission-driven organization that supports but expects strong results from its staff members. You can expect to be surrounded by exceptional colleagues, young but competent managers, and individuals who are passionate about education.
Tough but rewarding.
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZDecember 23, 2015
Educate and coach underprivileged students in lower income urban environments with minimal resources and compensation.
Rewarding opportunity and a great professional stepping stone
Operations Coordinator Summer Intern (Former Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 4, 2015
Working for Teach For America as a summer intern was an enlightening experience into the realities of Americas education system. While I did not serve as a corps member, I did feel like I was making a contribution toward the effort of education equality in the United States.
Great theory awful in reality
corps memeber (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 19, 2015
Pros: kids love you
Cons: everything else
Relocated for a position that was ultimately changed 3 times. Ended up teaching in a trailer with no air conditioning, desks, books, or nearby restroom. Expected to teach 9 subjects (two separate subjects during the same class time. example: economics to half the class and English 4 to the other half) Professional development and teacher training took up every weekend leaving no time for personal time. I would estimate 90 hours of work put in weekly.
The problem lies in the impossible schedule and the push to do better with zero tools.
Not every one will experience this but the leadership in Florida was very new and still needs many years of development to be of any help.
Education reform is meaningful, hard work
Instructor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2015
Worked as a elementary teacher in Chicago Public Schools on the South Side of the city in a very impoverished area.
Greatly enjoyed the opportunity to teach my students about the importance of education for improving their quality of life and fostering feelings of self-efficacy.
Wonderful work culture; long hours.
associate (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 2, 2015
Pros: great work culture, good salary, great benefits, extremely talented staff.
Cons: long hours, a bit hierarchical.
Working at TFA has definitely been a wonderful place to grow. Very talented staffers, although they tend to higher people who are over-qualified for positions. The hours are long, benefits are good, a lot of flexibility. I've cut my teeth here, but the hours might push me to seek another job.
Organization with Good Intentions
Charter corps member of Teach For America (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALOctober 16, 2015
Pros: Americorps
Cons: Chaotic
As a member of an organization whose idea to eradicate teacher shortages and alleviate inner city education strains it was a great experience, but a lot to ask of one person.
Great job for a motivated and hardworking individual
Mathematics Teacher (Former Employee), MississippiSeptember 21, 2015
A job that is very rewarding if you are passionate about educational inequality and want to be an amazing teacher. Be ready to spend many hours grading and lesson planning, and act as a leader inside and out of the classroom.
Great Opportunity
English I Teacher (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LASeptember 21, 2015
This is a great opportunity to work with children in communities that need someone that cares. TFA allows for you to put yourself in the position to change lives with the vehicle of education and mentorship.
A good Experience
Speaker (Former Employee), Arlington, TXSeptember 16, 2015
To speak is a moment of growth.It is said that the biggest fear of Americans is public speaking itself. So for anyone to be bold enough to face their fears is someone with greatness attached to them.
I liked Teach for America
Teacher, fifth grade (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 9, 2015
Pros: Teaching was fun and the children
Cons: Lots of work, very tiring but rewarding for those people who want to teach
I felt like it was a throw me in the water and see if I can swim kind of experience.

I enjoyed the children very much but felt troubled that there was so much disparity in abilities.
Good Company
7th Grade Math/Social Studies Teacher (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCSeptember 7, 2015
Very supportive. Teaching is not an easy career path yet the supportive receive in the Charlotte region makes it a tad bit easier.
Headquarters