Teach For America

Teach For America Employee Reviews

High School Science Teacher
Physical Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA3 March 2017
Teach for America doesn't prepare you adequately for this undertaking. They are not entirely transparent about certification requirements once you accept the commitment either.

It was overall a good experience because of how much you learn and open your eyes to a world you may have never known otherwise.

In one way or another, I will always be committed to serving underprivileged kids.
Pros
Helping kids, building relationships
Cons
no work life balance, serious commitment, poor management
An organization dedicated to serve
TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TN23 February 2017
This organization is true to their mission and lives it out on a daily. I'm in my second year teaching andI have absolutely fell in love with the students and the city of Memphis
Best place to work
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  New Jersey22 February 2017
TFA is one of the best places to work. Gives the perfect work life balance, excellent platform for career advancement, very transparent organization with amazing benefits and a great team to work with.
Great cause, demanding job
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Rio Grande Valley, TX21 February 2017
It's a great cause. If you care about education it'll be worth it. Otherwise, it's going to seem under-rewarded. It takes a lot of self-discipline, but I learned a lot about teaching, the education system, and patience.
Regional variants
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kailua-Kona, HI26 January 2017
Your experience is determined by the region you get. Some are amazing and some are not... mine, not so much. Just ask a lot of questions and make sure you have informed opinions on the organization and your regional placement.
Elementary Mathematics and Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FL25 January 2017
No review to give. At this time, I request not to give an opinion on my working relationship with Teach for America. Thank you.
great experience
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA18 January 2017
If you are looking for a first time teaching experience the TFA is a great way to get exposure to the world of Education. Being a member of TFA is very intense though so you need tough skin and be prepared to work hard.
Depends on the district
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC13 December 2016
CMS is a scary place to work not organized and very political. If you actually care for students you wont last long! Document everything and Cover yourself at all costs! Take mental health days when needed.
Fabulous experience that changed the trajectory of my career
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO5 December 2016
-Extremely demanding, yet very rewarding
-Worked a minimum of 10 hours per day
-Learned how to build relationships with students and families and have used those relationships to help students achieve
Great benefits, good cause, but unstable environment
Director, Reporting (Current Employee) –  Remote26 November 2016
Teach for America is an organization focused on improving educational outcomes for kids across the United States. Many of the positions are remote and you'll have the advantage of a flexible workday and the opportunity to work with talented colleagues across the country. Compensation and benefits are impressive for a non-profit.

High turnover and a series of internal restructurings have made for an unstable environment in the company. It is not uncommon for staff to have a new manager on a yearly basis. With that said, the organization is constantly trying out new ideas and there are ample opportunities to try something new.
Pros
Compensation, benefits, quality colleagues
Cons
High turnover
Requires full commitment
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CA23 November 2016
This job is not for those who seek a break from school. Quite the contrary, this job demands 10+ hour days your first two years. In addition to work, you are enrolled full time as a graduate student.
A great new start
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MI10 November 2016
If your looking for something new. This is it, it's a lot of work not really ideal for people with young families. But if you are tired of the career you are in currently they do create a new opportunity to teach in districts that need more help.
Great network
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ2 November 2016
Overall, I had a very positive experience with Teach For America. I felt well-supported throughout my corps experience, and my peers were equally motivated and hard-working. The hardest part was the work-life balance.
Campus Campaign Coordinator while still an undergrad student
Campus Campaign Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OR27 September 2016
As an undergraduate student, I was able to gain employment through TFA by being a campus campaign coordinator. This means I was able to market, advertise, and help other with their applications. Amazing opportunity.
Excellent experience if you're up for the challenge
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN21 September 2016
Had I known what I was getting into, I may have thought twice about signing up, however now looking back I'm very glad I dedicated two years to public service and challenged myself in ways I did not think were possible. TFA made me a stronger person and professional.
Pros
Lots of support, positive team culture, passionate and driven people
Cons
Depending on your placement region you can expect completely different experiences
Rewarding and Challenging Experience
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MA16 September 2016
Days vary in their pattern and from school location to school location. While the work is difficult, it is often worth the effort put in. Long, irregular hours can be expected.
Antithesis To Teaching
Public School Advocate (Former Employee) –  New York City Area27 August 2016
Simply put, five weeks does not make you a teacher. If you truly want to help kids, enroll in an accredited education program at a university or college. Otherwise, you'll do major harm to our most neediest kids and you don't want to do that. Cities across the country have cut their ties with Teach For America and with good reason. It's a costly gimmick and the average TFA graduate stays 2 years or less. Our kids deserve better than a novice at best.
Good place to work if you care about creating change for families and students in high poverty communities.
TFA Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC15 August 2016
Great place to work if you are looking to build a career supporting high poverty schools and communities. This company is growing in its work around diversity, equity and inclusion with a heavy focus on race. There are 53 TFA regions in the United States. The hardest part about the job is managing work life balance because the work demands a lot from you in order to do a really great job.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great benefits, push to be creative and think outside the box, working for students from low income backgrounds, diversity across national organization
Cons
Long hours and work life balance
Good experience
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA10 August 2016
Completing the two year program was fun overall, but challenging to balance attending classes right after school and then lesson planning for my actual class for my students.
Core values: great idea, poor execution, and failed leadership
Information Technology Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY4 August 2016
Core values: Respect & Humility, Diversity, Transformational Change, Leadership, and Team.

Coming in this felt like my dream job, but a lack structure and loose compliance to finance, work from home, and accepted job norms soon turned my work environment into a paid social experiment resembling a last-chance high school.

People were promoted without education and skill to fulfill new duties, projects were frequently set back by workers abusing work from home policy, budgeting was all but non-existent, and HR and key personnel failed to act in the face of multiple complaints.

Empathy was cited repeatedly by failed leadership in excusing running a business like a second chance high school for the uninspired.

Had any of the core values been modestly executed TFA could have been a great place to work. I met a handful of amazingly talented and sincere people at the company, but most people lacked discipline, judgment, and initiative. I quit after more than three years of staff. Working at TFA felt like being on a sinking ship without enough life boats.
Pros
Generous work from home and open door policy, lots of free food
Cons
Generous work from home and open door policy, lots of free food

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teach For America. Our community is ready to answer.

83%