Teach For America

Teach For America Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Mission-driven
Campus Campaign Coordinator (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 28, 2015
The job was a good opportunity to work on campus in a paid internship. No travel and Teach for America provides the resources necessary.
Working to close the achievement gap!
Corps Member (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 26, 2015
Selected from over 50,000 applicants nationwide to join the national teacher corps of 5,800 recent college graduates who commit two years to teach in under-resourced public schools. Participate in intensive – more... training program to develop the skills and knowledge needed to achieve significant gains in student achievement. Teach in a summer school program run by Teach For America for low-income students in the St. Louis Public School District, under the supervision of a faculty of experienced teachers. Engage in a full schedule of professional development activities including seminars, discussion groups, workshops, individual and group reflections, readings, and learning team’s specific to teaching license area. – less
Tough
6th General teacher (Former Employee), PassaicJune 23, 2015
• Inclusion: ESL & Special Needs
• Curriculum Development for 6th Grade Social Studies, Science, Mathematics, ELA, and Health
o Differentiating and Modifying for ESL and Special Needs Students; Extending – more... for General Students
o Modifying Lesson Plans and Delivery of Instruction Based on Student Growth Data
• Creation of Classroom and Behavioral Management Models
• Advocacy for Best Interests of Students
• Facilitate Interventions with Parents and Social Workers
• Experience in Co-Teaching and Interdisciplinary Problem Solving
• Crisis Intervention – less
Great work environment - very easy to get too - excellent work staff - excellent pay -
Payroll Specialist - Temporary (Current Employee), Manhattan, NYJune 17, 2015
a typical day at work consisted of a 40 minute train ride and then a 1 block walk - up to the office and a coffee and right to work - very casual quiet work area
Achievement focused culture
Corps Member (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 17, 2015
Teach for America is good at supporting teachers new to the profession as they entire their schools. They have an intense, no excuses culture that helps to motivate their teachers.
Great place to work if you aren't ambitious
Assistant (Former Employee), RemoteJune 6, 2015
Pros: travel, hours
Cons: wages, co-workers, management
No two days are the same, however there are a standard group of core tasks that you reflect. While working here I noticed that professional development and advancement of employees is greater for those – more... who are alumni of TFA. My manager went from corps to ED and wasn't great at building relationships with staff or navigating without bias. My co-workers were either great friends/allies or self-centered and unwilling to work towards the greater mission.

The hardest part of the job is working towards professional development and advancement only to realize that positions were created with other people in mind who are alumni. The other hard part of the work is working with someone who had no plan, vision, or communication skills, but expected you to read their mind and anticipate their needs. The job allows a lot of travel for professional development which is great for those who like to travel, but can become stressful if you are trying to seek a work/life balance. – less
Very little support, very corporate, nowhere near as idealistic as they put on.
Educator (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMay 6, 2015
This organization is about metric analysis and the bottom line. While individuals within the organization have a deep passion for educational equity, the organization as a whole and its managers at the executive level only care about maintaining the status quo and will not stand up for people who actually espouse the social justice views their recruiters claim to uphold.
love it
Corps Member (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 30, 2015
great place to be. These people really care about what they do and they are focused and career-driven folks that really care about the kids.
Positive and meaningful workplace
Managing Director, Institute Program & Staffing (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 24, 2015
TFA is an incredibly positive and meaningful place to work. Fellow staff members are top-notch, training is readily available and expectations are high for quality work. There is a clear vision and focus on doing work for our students.
Great Environment
Assistant (Former Employee), Phoenix, AzApril 16, 2015
Pros: Flexible with hours, Great experience
Cons: No cons
Working for TFA has taught me to be a team player. Also, working for this job has taught me to file paper work and follow up on calls. TFA was the greatest experience that I could've ever been apart of. – more... In addition to this, I also made calls to future teachers to make sure that they had their paper work to be eligible for a position as a teacher.

This job has also taught me time management. Time management was the key to this job because everything had to be done in a specific time frame of the day.

I enjoyed everything about this job; from the work environment to working all day there. – less
Great organization with a strong mission and cares about staff members
STO (Current Employee), USAMarch 30, 2015
great org with flat hierarchy. opportunities to develop within position and others within organization. awesome culture.
Incredible cause and purpose
Recruitment Manager (Former Employee), Louisville, KYMarch 24, 2015
This is a role where you feel like you have a specific purpose. As a recruitment manager, you build a database of potential applicants, meet with those applicants, and then convince them to apply.
Very depending and unable to provide enough support
Middle School Special Education Teacher (Former Employee), Oakland, CAMarch 16, 2015
Pros: great experience and my students were amazing!
Cons: not enough support or time
I was required to get a Masters in Special Education while starting my first year in a Special Education classroom. I also had to train myself to be a case manager for my students. I worked from 4am to 7pm most days of the week, and my life was my work.
Extremely Challenging and Rewarding Work
Corps Member (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 15, 2015
Teaching is more a service than a profession. With that being said, do not become a member of Teach For America unless you have a strong passion to teach. The work will be some of (if not the most) challenging you ever do, but it will also be more rewarding and enriching than anything you do.
Highly rewarding, able to work with motivated individuals
National Curriculum Writer 8th Grade Math (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 9, 2015
My typical day consisted of developing materials for the classroom, collecting data to drive instruction, partnering with parents and administration to create a strong network of support for students. – more... I learned how to prioritize and be flexible, because in a school day anything can happen. I also learned how to allow data to drive instruction and make decisions based on concrete evidence. Additionally, I learned that the education system is suffering and really needs highly motivated issues in the classroom to tackle to day-to-day battles that as associated with teaching. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the impossible: trying to reach a student who, to others, seemed unreachable. It was also very rewarding to work creatively and collaboratively with other teachers to reach low-motivated students. Once we started seeing improvements in their behavior and attitude, we began to see improvements in the classroom. That was by far the hardest but also most rewarding part of my job. – less
Great working environment with passionate, caring people
ASSOCIATE OF ALUMNI LEADERSHIP & INVOLVEMENT (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 5, 2015
Great co-workers, and overall management, very people centered. Everyone in the office is very mission aligned, driven and hard-working. Some lack of professional development and advancement opportunities.
Informative
7th Grade Level Chair & School Teacher (Former Employee), Helena, ARMarch 4, 2015
A lot of research and working with people in their field is a unique opportunity that better prepares you for success in the future
Great!
Div., Equity, and Inclusiveness, Co-facilitator (Current Employee), Dallas-Fort Worth, TXFebruary 28, 2015
Teach For America does a great job creating a fun and productive job culture. I learned a lot about working with different types of people and how to work together for a common cause.
Purpose filled work
Manager of Teacher Leader Development (Current Employee), Gallup, NMFebruary 24, 2015
Driven towards helping students and teachers succeed. Learned how to coach adults, provide professional development to adult learners, communicate across lines of difference and inspire others to succeed.
Supportive
Corps Member (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYFebruary 19, 2015
Teach for America has been a great avenue to pursue my desire to become permanently certified in teaching Special Education.

1 2 3 4 5

About Teach For America

All kids—no matter where they live, how much money their parents make, or what their skin color is – deserve access – Read more

Teach For America Photos