Teach For America Employee Reviews

Supportive network, difficult job
Elementary Teacher (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV6 February 2018
There are a tremendous amount of responsibilities that come along with Teach For America. Teaching alone is a difficult job. Teaching in poorly rated schools is even more challenging. Teaching in poorly rated schools while going through the TFA coursework can be exhausting at times.
Pros
supportive staff
Cons
endless responsibilities
If need a way into teaching
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NY5 February 2018
High demands of new teachers. Puts lots of stress on teachers without giving them a lot of reinforcement. Expect you to attend all meetings, even though you are not paid through them.
Collaborative, fast-paced and inspiring
Manager, Recruitment (Current Employee) –  Portland, OR4 February 2018
TFA is an inspiring place to get to work at every single day. You will receive some of the best professional development out there and work alongside incredibly talented and passionate people. The work-life balance can be challenging given that it is a fast-paced environment but, it's a wonderful organization to work for.
Non Profit Organization linking leaders to teaching
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX30 January 2018
Teach for America is an organization that puts the country's best leaders into high need educational areas. They pave a path for alternate certification and for educational backgrounds and grounds all member in culturally responsive practices.
Pros
Cultural awareness, diversity hiring
Cons
Hard place to start a career as a teacher
High School Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA25 January 2018
If you plan on teaching for life, there are stronger programs. This is a track to push you into leadership roles and other related fields - law, etc. Think about the nature of a short training program, they'll be a lot of scrambling for the first few years. Even if you did do a 4-year program on Ed.
Small fry in a big pond
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Boone, NC25 January 2018
I was a Campus Campaign Coordinator on a college campus working until I graduated and became a corps member. I was on a very small end of the recruiting team but got a good look into what it is like to work for the company.
Always Exciting
Managing Director, Enterprise Support Group (Former Employee) –  New York, NY16 January 2018
Emerging technology and always something new to learn and some new goal to reach for. Co-workers were very supportive, but management was very secretive. Lay-offs were always a concern.
Terrible experience
Mentor Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NY11 January 2018
I would not recommend this position to anyone. Working at the NY regional institute meant working long hours for inadequate pay. There were also minimal amount of opportunities for mentor teachers to collaborate with one another.
Intentional and driven
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LA4 January 2018
Working with Teach For America has taught me countless organizational skills that have been transferable and beneficial in a variety of settings. They value growth and diversity and maintain a high and clear bar for success.
Pros
diversity
Cons
Na
Focus on community partnerships and closing the achievement gap
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NY1 January 2018
As an organization, TFA has grown a lot over the year in part due to their hunger for feedback and responsiveness to that feedback. As such, many teacher preparation experiences are grounded in community and cultural responsiveness and stronger graduate school partnerships.

Want to know more about Teach For America?

Ask a question
Doing it for the children
Campus Campaign Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA26 December 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with passionate, like-minded individuals and knowing that the work I do is making a difference. There are always opportunities for development and the company offers a strong support system.
TFA mission alignment is worth review
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Miami, FL24 December 2017
TFA attracted me because of its stated mission related to improving educational attainment for students of color, but in practice its focus really is advancing career opportunities for its own corps members. If that is appealing to you, then TFA will be a good fit, but if your own mission is related to student achievement and students' opportunities, you would find working for TFA challenging.
Great place to grow
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK4 December 2017
This organization is good to work for because you learn alot and are able to make a direct impact on your community. Not alot of work life balance but there will be lots of opportunities to learn and grow in a role.
Awesome Place to Work
Corps Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA4 December 2017
The experience is solely what you make it. Great for networking and growing both personally professionally. Important to find a work/ life balance early.
Very difficult, worth it
High School Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Appalachia28 November 2017
I am really glad for my experience with Teach For America because it has allowed me to think about many aspects of our society in a new way, while developing really special relationships and learning a lot as a human being.
Pros
Relationships, learn a lot, make an impact
Cons
Stressful, constant pressure, constant unknowns, many expectations, isolating
Driven team of top leaders driving innovation, change and burnout
Recruitment Manager (Former Employee) –  Remote18 November 2017
A challenging, competitive environment that challenges some of the most amazing people to grow and develop. You will be given the chance to hone skills that will set you apart from your peers. The highest level of professional development. Alternatively, there is a high burnout rate which is the biggest factor determining the length of time someone can remain with the organization.
Pros
Mission Driven, passionate, professional development, staff culture, diversity
Cons
Sustainability, unrealistic expectations, work life balance
Makes ure it's what you want
Reading Teacher (Current Employee) –  Texas5 November 2017
Teach for America is a great organization if you are aligned with their viewpoints. It is a lot of work but it is gives you a sense of accomplishment other jobs may not. If it's not what you actually want to do, then I would recommend against it.
Caring Company Culture
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN31 October 2017
I was in the operations branch of TFA Memphis, which was fairly separate from basic Staff. Our branch was very efficient, and our team was close-knit. I enjoyed forming relationships with other staff members. I was slightly unhappy with the management of general Staff, and my inability to work overtime.
Great Support and Coaching
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL31 October 2017
As a Corps Member, I can only speak to my experiences being directly supported by MTLDs in this regiion. And they were outstanding. I learned more from their support and involvement in two years than I did in any other point in time about education. The hours are long and the job stressful, but with the support I received, I enjoyed the work in the classroom, thanks to the MTLDs.
Passionate people
Facilities/Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DC22 October 2017
Overall, I enjoyed the fact that I was surrounded by people who were extremely passionate about eradicating educational inequity. However, I learned that even though they say they want you to "think outside the box," you can only do that within their very narrow parameters.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teach For America. Our community is ready to answer.