Teach For America Employee Reviews

Wonderful work culture; long hours.
associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 2, 2015
Working at TFA has definitely been a wonderful place to grow. Very talented staffers, although they tend to higher people who are over-qualified for positions. The hours are long, benefits are good, a lot of flexibility. I've cut my teeth here, but the hours might push me to seek another job.
Pros
great work culture, good salary, great benefits, extremely talented staff.
Cons
long hours, a bit hierarchical.
Good place to work if you care about creating change for families and students in high poverty communities.
TFA Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 15, 2016
Great place to work if you are looking to build a career supporting high poverty schools and communities. This company is growing in its work around diversity, equity and inclusion with a heavy focus on race. There are 53 TFA regions in the United States. The hardest part about the job is managing work life balance because the work demands a lot from you in order to do a really great job.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great benefits, push to be creative and think outside the box, working for students from low income backgrounds, diversity across national organization
Cons
Long hours and work life balance
Tough but rewarding.
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 23, 2015
Educate and coach underprivileged students in lower income urban environments with minimal resources and compensation.
Antithesis To Teaching
Public School Advocate (Former Employee) –  New York City AreaAugust 27, 2016
Simply put, five weeks does not make you a teacher. If you truly want to help kids, enroll in an accredited education program at a university or college. Otherwise, you'll do major harm to our most neediest kids and you don't want to do that. Cities across the country have cut their ties with Teach For America and with good reason. It's a costly gimmick and the average TFA graduate stays 2 years or less. Our kids deserve better than a novice at best.
Core values: great idea, poor execution, and failed leadership
Information Technology Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 4, 2016
Core values: Respect & Humility, Diversity, Transformational Change, Leadership, and Team.

Coming in this felt like my dream job, but a lack structure and loose compliance to finance, work from home, and accepted job norms soon turned my work environment into a paid social experiment resembling a last-chance high school.

People were promoted without education and skill to fulfill new duties, projects were frequently set back by workers abusing work from home policy, budgeting was all but non-existent, and HR and key personnel failed to act in the face of multiple complaints.

Empathy was cited repeatedly by failed leadership in excusing running a business like a second chance high school for the uninspired.

Had any of the core values been modestly executed TFA could have been a great place to work. I met a handful of amazingly talented and sincere people at the company, but most people lacked discipline, judgment, and initiative. I quit after more than three years of staff. Working at TFA felt like being on a sinking ship without enough life boats.
Pros
Generous work from home and open door policy, lots of free food
Cons
Generous work from home and open door policy, lots of free food
Great Culture and Place to Work at
Director of Project Management (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 3, 2016
Teach for America is a great place to work at. Management in general is above par. I always feel supported and challenged. Everybody rallies together to get things done and finds ways to collaborate in achieving goals. The people and workplace culture are amazing. There is a lot of ambiguity, especially as the organization restructures itself.
Firm Goal and Mission
Lead Teacher, Head Soccer Coach, Robotics Coach (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 1, 2016
The goal of what Teach For America is trying to accomplish is clear and attainable. Giving every student the opportunity to succeed is something I firmly believe in and Teach For America was a great fit for me. The Teach for America staff was also very easy to talk to and work with.

Through Teach For America, I received a job placement at Park Forest Middle School in Baton Rouge, LA. Park Forest Middle is the true embodiment of the phrase "play the cards you're dealt." A severely under resourced school, students do not have the same quality of education other schools are able to provide, but my students always made the best of it and achieved high results despite this obstacle. I have learned valuable lessons on being resourceful and creative to bring out quality results and untapped potential.
Not a good Work- life balance, heavy work loads with long hours
Associate, District & School Partnerships (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 11, 2015
Very heavy work load that they don't reveal to you until after you accept the job. The people are great, and the company has great benefits and they are very involved in the community. They take part in all kinds of projects in Memphis. The most enjoyable part about the job is the people you work with. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the volume of work with quick turnaround deadlines. Management is great and they are big on promoting and developing people within the company.
Pros
no work life balance
Cons
great benefits! good money! great cause!
Good meaning people who lack direction because of too many inadequate managers and very little focus.
Manager, Teacher Leadership and Development (MTLD) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60606April 26, 2016
If you're looking to be developed as a professional, look elsewhere. TFA Chicago is built upon a management structure of people with zero management experience learning how to be managers at your expense.
Pros
Working with kids who really need it
Cons
Too many to list
Fun and amazing support
Content Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 27, 2016
I love teach for america, it is an amazing organization that supports and challenges its employees. It is one of the most supportive group that sets an incredible example for its employees.
Pros
Non Profit
Rewarding and Challenging Experience
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MASeptember 16, 2016
Days vary in their pattern and from school location to school location. While the work is difficult, it is often worth the effort put in. Long, irregular hours can be expected.
Loved it. Hard. but worth it
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 26, 2016
Teach For America is the best TFA region in the U.S. It requires a very individualized approach to success. TFA Dallas is one of those.. you get in what you put in regions. Take advantage of every relationship and opportunity they have to offer.
Good experience
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 10, 2016
Completing the two year program was fun overall, but challenging to balance attending classes right after school and then lesson planning for my actual class for my students.
Non-profit work in Education
Teach For America Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 22, 2016
Teach For America is an organization that works to close the gap in education inequity. They frequently provide professional development centered on the needs of inner-city students.
Passion is a requirement
Corps Member/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 20, 2016
The organization equips highly motivated individuals, who have a strong passion for the work, to help students excel. It's a great fit for someone who's passionate and willing to do the work.
Structural Problems
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2016
Teach For America is going through growing pains at the moment and as a result, numerous jobs / projects are changed or eliminated yearly. Culture is difficult to keep strong during the vast amount of changes happening. Leadership among team structures has not been strong or visionary to work through these issues.
Extremely goal-orientated environment, with driven colleagues
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 11, 2012
For the past two years, I have worked for the non-profitcorporation, Teach For America, as a corps member and kindergarten teacher in Richmond, California. Through this experience I have developed excellentprofession skills in terms of organization, time management, meeting mandatorydeadlines, and working closely with a wide diversity of people. I work to mold not only the minds of my young students, but to train parents on ways they can support their child's learning as well. In addition, I work closely on several committees at my school, which aim to train my fellow colleagues on innovative ways to present academic content to students of all ages and at all performance levels.
Pros
excellent support system, good benefits, exceptional training program
Cons
high demand of working hours on weekends
Great place to work if you aren't ambitious
Assistant (Former Employee) –  RemoteJune 6, 2015
No two days are the same, however there are a standard group of core tasks that you reflect. While working here I noticed that professional development and advancement of employees is greater for those who are alumni of TFA. My manager went from corps to ED and wasn't great at building relationships with staff or navigating without bias. My co-workers were either great friends/allies or self-centered and unwilling to work towards the greater mission.

The hardest part of the job is working towards professional development and advancement only to realize that positions were created with other people in mind who are alumni. The other hard part of the work is working with someone who had no plan, vision, or communication skills, but expected you to read their mind and anticipate their needs. The job allows a lot of travel for professional development which is great for those who like to travel, but can become stressful if you are trying to seek a work/life balance.
Pros
travel, hours
Cons
wages, co-workers, management
GREAT people!
Technical Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 4, 2016
Super awesome group of people to support you throughout and help you learn. It is unfortunate how underfunded they are, which is why everyone employed has to work so hard and which is why it helps that there is tremendous support.
A great working culture
Director of Business Analysis/ Corporate Systems (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2016
Teach for America partners with our nation to build education awareness of the inequity in our country. All children deserves an excellent education. Your zip code should not determine your child's access to the best education.