Teach For America Employee Reviews

Great mission, poor leadership
SOA Architect/Managing Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NY15 September 2017
I was attracted to the mission of TFA. For many years the organization provided a great service to the country. When leadership changed the focus on the mission waned and the organization began to flounder. I loved the people I worked with.
Pros
Great mission, good people
Cons
Management disarray. Lack of focus and direction from the top.
what you learned
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL13 September 2017
before you decide on what region you would like to teach for please review it carefully. Not every region will be a good fit for each person. I would look into things such as the certification cost, cost of living, reviews on that particular region and the school district, and what you will have to do to become certified in that state. DO NOT TAKE YOUR REGION PREFERENCE LIGHTLY!
Great mission, in general wonderful people
Manager, Development and Strategy (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LA10 September 2017
Great mission, sometimes people get too focused on talking about the work instead of actually doing the work. Had excellent managers, very focused on developing professionals.
Life-Changing Experience
Greater Philadelphia Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA20 August 2017
Teach for America is amazing, and allows you to make a difference in the lives of students across the country. It is an amazing way to make a lasting difference.

However, the program is extremely intense, and everyone considering the program needs to expect to be spending at least 100-110 hours a week working on various things, especially if you select a region with mandatory graduate school.
Pros
Relationships, Opportunities after the corps
Cons
No work life balance
Great Place to Grow Your Career
8th Grade Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX13 August 2017
TFA afforded me opportunities to lead, create, and put my visions into action. As a teacher you partake in monthly trainings to improve your effectiveness in the classroom, a manager that monitors your progress for quick feedback, and resources that are helpful on a daily basis.
Changing America ONE Classroom at a time!
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL12 August 2017
Selected as one of 5,300 accepted candidates out of 45,000 applicants (12% acceptance rate) to teach under-resourced school district across the nation.
Amazing
Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN10 August 2017
Teach For America was a wonderful place to work. Management was always very flexible, and open to new ideas. Benefits where also amazing, and coworkers were also fantastic.
Pros
Lots of paid time off, and flexible work environment. Could also work from home.
Cons
Productive, learning, and competitive environment.
Corps Member and Teacher, Grades (Former Employee) –  New York, NY8 August 2017
Teach for America is a great kickstart to beginning a teaching career in a low income neighborhood. The organization is very competitive, yet, when one becomes a member, they become a lifelong family member. Teach for America serves to provide close support for members, but members should be prepared to seek independent knowledge and skills before becoming part of this environment. I recommend Teach for America to those passionate about teaching the youth and transforming lives within their communities, especially low-income communities.
Personal Learning Experience
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL7 August 2017
Learned how to manage work-life balance. Underwent high highs and low lows with my relationships with students and other staff members. I learned how to relate to people who I share very little with.
Most importantly, I learned how to operate under my locus of control, meaning I found out what I was realistically able to do to effectively progress my students' lives, and what was unrealistic. Finding my locus of control lead to a happier and healthier life for me and the children whom I was responsible for.
Pros
Unique opportunity, Livable wage, Lasting relationships, Never boring
Cons
Little support, uncoordinated leadership at times
Easy but not fulfilling
Temporary Project Management Generalist (Former Employee) –  New York, NY28 July 2017
You waste so much time not doing anything I almost feel bad getting paid. Work load was so easy Id finish a days work in around 2 hours and roam around the city until they gave me more work.
Family like environment
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI24 July 2017
Fun environment and I absolutely love the people that I worked with, but I didn't see a clear path for advancement given my career aspirations. Learned a great deal about our current education system and how I can be an advocate for kids in my future career field.
Great organization of educators changing the world.
High School Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  York, AL19 July 2017
All teach for america staff and teachers are extremely motivated and productive people. They are absolutely driven and do whatever it takes to make something happen, especially when it comes to their students.
Pros
Great network and professional development
Cons
Training to be a teacher in one month is difficult, work still needs to improve onboarding.
supportive
Corps Member- Elementary Education (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL18 July 2017
The MTLD's are always there for the support of the corps members. The stand true to the mission statement of the organization and work hard to ensure that the members feel welcomed and prepared.
Pros
Educational Stipend
Cons
2 year commitment
Valued and Supported
Teacher/Teach For America Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Caldwell, ID14 July 2017
The staff at Teach for America-Idaho worked tirelessly to support the teachers in the treasure valley region. They were willing to do anything necessary to make the lives of their corps members better.
Dedicated people working for a great cause!
Community and Advocacy Leader (Former Employee) –  Rio Grande Valley, TX12 July 2017
I had a great experience with this company, it is rigorous work but definitely worth it! Teach for America is really good at bringing out leadership skills in their corps members.
dedicated, sticks to what their mission says
CAMPUS CAMPAIGN COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IA5 July 2017
I was an intern but I did a lot of short speeches, events, campaigns for recruiting purposes. I worked with sales force and did a lot of building talent pipelines as well. Management is supportive and on point always!
Placing educators in underserved schools to fight educational inequity.
Teacher/Educator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX24 June 2017
It was an honor (and still is) for me to be a part of the 2015 Houston Corp alongside so many driven and passionate individuals, courtesy of Teach for America. I have learned many things over the past two years, but the main item that stands alone is the idea of just how important education is in our country more than ever. It was a pleasure working for KIPP Houston High School and I plan to continue creating an impact on the educational sector while pursuing the medical field by studying and researching public health (and lack thereof), so that one of the many variables causing underprivileged minority students of today may be closer to finding itself a solution.
Great place to work!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO24 June 2017
Love it! They enlist, develop, and mobilize as many as possible of our nation's most promising future leaders to grow and strengthen the movement for educational equity and excellence.
Pros
Work remotely, amazing benefits
Cons
Difference between regional teams and national teams
Fair, but fast paced
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD23 June 2017
In order to succeed in TFA, you will need to be able to adapt to a fast-paced environment. You must also be self-motivated because there will be times where you may not feel support. It is important to always communicate these needs to your regional director or MTLD.
Teach For America's mission and people are extraordinary.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJ13 June 2017
TFA and their network of people have inspired and changed the world for the better. We strive to educate one student at a time and are committed to a lifelong mission of improving education.
Pros
I loved the leadership, and the students.
Cons
We are sent to the most in need places nationwide.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teach For America. Our community is ready to answer.