Teach For America

Teach For America Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Demanding Teaching Positions in Public Education
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 4, 2014
Long hours are a must to be an effective educator within the short professional development that is offered. There is a lot of stress associated with the jobs offered within the realm of Public Education.

The best part of this organization is the Vision to offer all children an equal and just education. Management is always willing to help in any way – more... that they can and there are many ways to move up in the organization. – less
Training Intensive Program with a Strong Social-Political Statement
Early Childhood Education Teacher (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 15, 2014
Pros: supportive learning environment for first year educators
Cons: healthcare
A typical training day in Teach For America begins at 7:30 am at my school training site. At my school site from 7:30-7:45, I would begin preparing materials for pre-k students to arrive. I taught and co-taught half days, which meant at 1 pm I would leave my school site for professional development. From 1pm to 6pm would begin PD covering a wide range – more... of topics from TALK strategies, Head Start Regulations, Unit Planning, Creative Curriculum, lesson planning, behavioral management practices including the No Non-sense Nurturer approach, and GOLD objectives. The last part of the evening was reserved for socratic seminar discussion on inequities in education, until usually 7 or 8pm.

I learned how to shape my time management skills even tighter than previous experiences, and I learned effective teaching strategies through a rooted philosophy of student led play (pre-K) and teacher objective driven lessons. I worked in a collaborative of four people in a Chicago co-hort of close to forty corps members. Each member of my collaborative brought unique skills to the table to learn from, and as a group we collaborated on classroom decisions. The most difficult part of the job was in collaborating on classroom decisions, as each of us were training to become lead teachers. The most enjoyable part of the job was every morning for me, when my students would arrive. In a pre-K environment at a community based organization parents are often required to enter the room in the morning. The relationships built with the parents were often the key to a successful day for each student. The morning arrival was my favorite part of my day because I could gauge from parents and students what each student was going to need that particular day, in order for it to be a successful day academically and emotionally. – less
Great!
Corps Member (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 5, 2014
Commitment to teach for 2 years and participate in annual professional development
Rigorous, Challenging, and Rewarding position
High School Language Arts Teacher (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 30, 2014
Teach for America is a rigorous two year AmeriCorp program where they place recent graduates in high needs/high poverty schools. My job required me to make lesson plans, manage classroom, measure data, and invest my students in higher education.
Life Changing Experience
Corps Member (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 19, 2014
This entire experience changed my life completely. I was forced outside of my comfort zone, however, after two years of teaching, I learned more about myself as a leader.
Challenging, but rewarding
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 16, 2014
Working for Teach for America is challenging, but there is constant motivation in the work you do everyday!
Productive and encouraging environment
Corps Member Advisor (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 14, 2014
Great company to work for. A lot of intelligent people working towards the mission statement and ensuring that employees maximize their work time.
TFA values diversity and attracts extremely high-achieving graduates
6th Grade Reading Teacher (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 14, 2014
Pros: building relationships with kids, learning everyday, incredible co-workers, collaborative environment
Cons: work life-balance is extremely difficult to achieve, you are not compensated for the amount of hours you put into this job
I worked with wonderful people and was challenged each and everyday I went to work.
I loved how different each day was and was never once bored as a teacher.
The staff at Yes Prep was amazing and very unified.
Working with children was a privilege and also an incredibly challenging task.
Review of Teach For America
Pre-Kindergarten teacher (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKJune 18, 2014
TFA was a difficult yet rewarding experience teaching in East Tulsa.
Preparing educators on a culturally relevant framework
Guest Lecturer (Former Employee), Richmond, CaJune 15, 2014
Pros: emphasis on cultural relevancy
Cons: program needs more teachers of color
It was a one time speaking engagement. I was impressed that I was there to present on working with communities of color to a predominantly white teachers, it speaks to their integrity in wanting to work from a strength based perspective.
Great place to get your foot in the door
Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 27, 2014
great place to start out. The entry-level positions are way above normal entry-level positions and there is tons of professional development and opportunities for advancement.
Change in Education
Science Teacher (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 22, 2014
I enjoyed my experience. Provided awesome guidance to help me change educational opportunities for my students.
Lots of work
Third & Fifth Grade Math Teacher (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMay 9, 2014
Big learning experience. Worked as a teacher in a low income community.
Exhausting and not what they claim to be
Corps Member (Current Employee), Detroit, MIMay 8, 2014
Pros: good on resume
Cons: terrible culture
Working for TFA Detroit was a terrible experience. While they claim to fight for educational equality, they make choices and partnerships that are morally corrupt and do little to improve education in Detroit. Additionally, while they claim to encourage criticism and dialogue, they do little to address the needs of current CMs.
TFA
Corps Member (Former Employee), Denver, COMay 2, 2014
Enjoyed working for a fast paced organization dedicated to growing our schools.
Teach For America
Houston Corps Member (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 22, 2014
TFA is an organization dedicated to closing the achievement gap. TFA seeks to make sure every child in this country, regardless of race or socioeconomic status, receives an excellent education.
A supportive environment that promotes growth in pedagogy and critical thinking
8th-12th grade Spanish Teacher (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 11, 2014
Teach for America is a very controversial organization and while I have my own qualms with some ways they choose to handle things, my experience with TFA has been incredibly supportive and challenging in a positive way. There was never a moment where I didn't feel like I had a network of fellow educators to rely on for feedback and encouragement. My – more... placement through TFA proved to be extremely challenging, but I did not feel like I was left alone to fight through it. I appreciated how much energy the organization put into making sure I was growing along with my students so that together we could all create a positive learning environment. – less
Detroit Corps Member (Current Employee), Detroit, MIApril 4, 2014
teaching 1st grade in an urban area is challenging, yet rewarding. There is a lot of support of the teachers because all employees believe that every child will and can succeed in school.
Great Place to Make an Impact
Manager, Teacher Leadership Development (Current Employee), America, OKMarch 30, 2014
I worked with people who were dedicated and worked tirelessly to make an impact on students in Oklahoma City.
Awesome network!
MENTOR TEACHER (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKMarch 12, 2014
Working in an inner-city school in a very tough neighborhood. Management is supportive but sometimes require too much time outside of school hours. The best part is the amazing network of young, energetic professionals you join.

1 2 3 4

About Teach For America

All kids—no matter where they live, how much money their parents make, or what their skin color is – deserve access – Read more

Teach For America Photos