TD Bank

TD Bank Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to work.
CSR/Sales (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 14, 2013
• Offered marketing promotions to enhance customer relationship with the bank
• Using sales techniques and customer services skills to promote bank products to ex-ceed customer needs
• Achieved individual sale goals while contributing to team goals
Great Company to work for.
IT Specialist/ Team Lead, TD Wealth Management (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 13, 2013
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: slow career progression, bad training and development programs, outsourcing
TD is a great company to work with as it has really good employees and it feels good to be there as there are good benefits. The culture is competitive and challenging at time. I have learnt a lot at TD in these years. The cons can be health being affected due to the late nights which sometimes just don't stop and affect work family balance and with – more... it your health.

Also with all the outsourcing happening you don't know if it has enough job security. The Learning Programs have got a big cut and employees who could train in better technologies are left on their own to train them selves. – less
This was one of my favorite position as Administrative Assistant
Operations Service Officer (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 22, 2013
Pros: cheerful environment
Cons: not enough time there for a full time job permanent
Staff very close, lots to do and lots of food all the time, worked for Managers and Accounting department and CRA.
Great Company, Superb Advancement
Service Desk Administrator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 13, 2013
TD has great incentives, wonderful staff and overall a great place to work. There is many opportunities and advancement if you are seeking long-term commitments in the financial and banking field. They have many entry level jobs and with the right education, training, experiences and skills you are on a good track to moving up the ladder. Just focused – more... on high performances and professionalism and it should get you there. – less
TD can be a great company to work for, as long as you're in the right job for yourself and you work with good people...
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), OntarioApril 20, 2013
Pros: decent salary, good benefits, challenging
Cons: long hours, missed breaks, big workload, no overtime pay, poor management, unrealistic expectations, very steep learning curve, not motivating enough
I would first like to say that I never write reviews, so what I'm about to share is extremely honest and sincere.

I worked various positions within TD and, like most people, started out on the phones to move my way up. I have to say, each role possessed many challenges which made the end goal worth fulfilling. For the most part, as long as you had – more... a vision of where you wanted to be as a next step, it really didn't matter what job you had. You just had to try and keep yourself motivated, push yourself to do well, and focus on your end goal.

With that said, I would first like to comment on the call centre environment. Although most co-workers were pretty friendly, just one negative encounter was enough to make an already difficult job that much more difficult to handle. By no means was being on the phones (in an outbound environment) an easy task, nor do I recommend it for people who wouldn't be able to take being yelled/sweared at constantly for 7.5 hour shifts on a 37.5 weekly work schedule. Working in outbound at the call centre was extremely fast-paced and often very stressful. When I was there, there were a handful of people who either quit, got fired (for not reaching their goals), or took prolonged leaves of absence due to the stress of being on the phones. I happened to be one of the people who took a leave for several months. However, I was also one of the lucky ones who managed to stick it out for a year and continuously perform.

Working as a Financial Analyst was motivating at first because it was rewarding to be at a higher level and be put into a salaried position at a young age. Unfortunately, however, as I gained some experience in the role, I discovered a few things. First, you work in an extremely small environment (a team of about 4 people, with the Finance department being up to about 10 people). The Analyst role is one of those positions where you have to do things to learn on your own. I found myself always having to take pages and pages of notes to remember things because the amount of work you had to do and what you had to know was constantly changing. When things changed, you pretty much had to forget what you had learned and start from scratch again. You primarily work with one other person and if that person quits or leaves for a prolonged period of time, you are responsible for learning/completing all of their work. This can become extremely stressful, especially if your manager doesn't even know how to do the work, yet you're expected to learn it and meet the deadlines.

Another thing that I really didn't like about the Analyst role is that often times, you constantly found yourself working ridiculous hours (over 10 hours in one day, by yourself) without being compensated for it. There are plenty of times when I missed my lunch/breaks and it would go unnoticed. When you would bring it to management's attention, they would tell you that you could take the time off as lieu, which would appear to be fine. However, I used to keep track of all the overtime/extra hours and sometimes management would disagree with my recorded hours, even though what I had was 100% correctly tracked and they were never around to know when I left the building. This became extremely frustrating because I never argued with management and just accepted whatever they asked, out of respect and for the sake of maintaining a good relationship with them.

Also, on a normal day, if you started your morning at say 7am and left work at the normal 3pm time (when your manager started after you), I found that the manager would look down upon you or make you feel bad about leaving work on time when they are still there. Meanwhile, if the positions were reversed and the manager started their day before you, they felt absolutely no remorse whatsoever about leaving on time and you staying there on your own (above your normal shift hours) to do work.

Needless to say, my experiences with management have allowed me to come to the conclusion that it was extremely poor. If you ever needed help with your financial reports, it wasn't as easy as being able to go up to your manager or co-worker and asking for help. Often times you had to figure things out for yourself if you wanted to stay ahead (in terms of how you are perceived in the department). If your manager chose to show you how to do something, they would do it in a way that would try and make you feel stupid about it. And I found the environment very cut-throat. You had one or two people working around you and I found it overly competitive and not fun at all. I even had to have a private discussion with one of the co-workers because of their negative treatment towards me. It became a consistent thing so eventually I couldn't stop myself from not saying anything. Anyways, after these experiences, I never asked for help from anyone and learned to do things on my own, which sometimes resulted in unnecessary overtime.

Because of all of this, just waking up in the morning at the thought of having to come into work and being around people like this was an unbareable task. I really didn't like who I worked with and that became the core problem of why I lost motivation in the job and why work was so unenjoyable. The negative treatment towards me is what forced me to isolate and absorb myself into my own work without the need of any outside assistance.

Although I worked extremely hard to get to the point where I was, I came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to settle working in a job just for the money. If I couldn't wake up every morning and feel content (or at least neutral) about having to go into work, then I wasn't going to put myself through it anymore. To me, it just wasn't worth it.

All in all, TD (as a company) is a great place to work. I think the compensation is fair, the benefits are awesome (I especially loved their wellness account for the gym), and the opportunities are endless. However, be very careful of where you decide to work and make sure that what you are getting into is what you actually want. Do your research, shadow departments, and get to know the people you are going to be working with. If you discover that the job is something you don't like, do not settle under any circumstances. Go out there and get what you think you deserve. – less
respectable, proud job
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee), Portage la Prairie, MBApril 17, 2013
Pros: good wage and benefits
Cons: too much selling to qualify
I was very proud of this position because I was doing a service that the public needs, getting paid for it, and enjoyed it.
Friendly Environment
IT Analyst (Full-Time) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 17, 2013
Learing how much is involved in supporting over 8000 users.
Learning new technologies and proceses
Interactions
Customer Relations Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 10, 2013
TD is a great company. It is definaltey a great stepping stone to start off your career.
Head Teller
Head Teller (Former Employee), Burlington, ONApril 7, 2013
• Exceptional written and oral communication abilities.
• Proven leadership and managerial skills.
• High standard of customer service and problem-solving skill.
• Strong negotiating and networking skills.
• Responsible, dependable and punctual, Flexible and adaptable to new situations
• Proficient with Word, WordPerfect, Excel, and PowerPoint
Not a great place to work
IT Analyst II (Former Employee), 222 Bay Street, Toronto, ONMarch 14, 2013
Pros: going home after work
Cons: everything
All is well during the honeymoon stage, but once you get your foot in the water everything changes. Working in their Desktop Support department in the heart of Toronto was quite an experience. At first it was really good, 37.5 hours per week, flexible breaks, but after settling in I found that the only way to keep up was to not take breaks at all or – more... even a lunch! People even signed in from home just to finish work. Keep in mind the holidays are slow but holidays only last so long. Co-workers were burnt out and took random days off. Some co-workers disliked one another and showed it. Everyone was super busy, some co workers were so busy they asked you to go to someone else for help. People were stressed out and you could tell judging from their attitude walking in to the office like they didn't even want to be there.

The hardest part of the job was finding out how unorganized their processes/procedures were. We would install an outdated piece of software and wouldn't have instructions on how to configure it for the user. You reach out to a group for assistance and are given the run around to go to someone else. You finally find someone who knew but has been out of that department for 5 years. Some co workers will even lead you in the wrong direction in regards to processes even if they've been there for 10 years. This shows how disorganized the bank is. The team leader would install 3rd party software for someone even if it was not allowed, then would not take ownership when problems occurred. Not to mention the manager was shady as well having many faces. Seniority is huge in banks, if you worked for 8-12 years you can be a manager even if you don't have the characteristsics of a manager. In IT you're not supposed to take work personal, you do your job then go home. At TD Bank, everyone took it personal becasue it shows on everones face when they walk into the office. I've never taken work personally until I started working at TD Bank. That tells you a lot about working for this company.

The best part of the job was going home. I have 2 other friends that worked for TD bank in different BU's and they are both glad they left TD. When leaving TD the grass is always greener on the other side. – less
excellent work environment and career growth .
IT Analyst -Service Availability Representative (Current Employee), torontoMarch 13, 2013
I have an excellent experience within TD Bank, As a part of everyday learning within last five years I have expertise in areas of Retail Banking,Investment Banking and Infrastructure technology.
TD has strong values, committed to its employees
Business Technology Risk Manager (Former Employee), Toronto ONMarch 5, 2013
Pros: some banking priviliges
Cons: competitive pay for work is not consistent.
TD treats is employees very well.
Many opportunities exist for advancement.
I have learned to communicate more effectively with senior mangement, peers, direct reports.
Became a strong motivator
Progressive multi-national corporation with diversity at the forefront of the organization
Senior Relocation/Generalist Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits, great culture, progressive executive management team, cross functional opportunities, great place to work, work life balance
TD Bank is a great company to work for. Diversity is very much engraved in the culture. Flexibility is key and a work life balance is encouraged. Community experience is also a big aspect of the culture. Each employee is encourage to participate in at least one community volunteer activity a year.
working hours are long however if you love your job – more... its the best thing ever. The hardest part of my job (when i was with td) is managing the daily aspects of the role. Its a multi faceted role with specialized functions related to the department and other vendors as well as cross functional departments tasks. The easiest part of the role was the customer interaction especially if you love dealing with customers. Coworkers are easy to get along with and team bonding is very much encouraged. You need to be a team player and have a positive attitude at all times. Management is very supportive and have a tough job to motivate and give incentives to staff.
I have learned to be a hard worker, to respect the job and others, to strive for excellence and to make a difference in whatever you do. – less
I learned and gained experience and I got promoted to different positions.
Senior Underwriter (Former Employee), Downtown TorontoFebruary 23, 2013
The fact that I have Bachelor degree and I speaqk more than one language (Arabic, French and English) helped me to be employed and to learn and gain experience.
opportunities for employees
IT Analyst (Current Employee), Mississauga ONFebruary 9, 2013
There is always room for some sort of improvements..When some one humbly and point out some things positivly, company listen.
TD Bank provide career opportunities for employees in our functional area.
Good environment with great people.
Manager Personal Financial Services (Current Employee), Montréal, QCFebruary 9, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: too much internal politics and strutures
Good environment with great people.
Unrealistic set sales goals.
Very good overall experience
HR Project Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: location, team, domain of work, free coffee and tea
Cons: long hours
Great team, challenging project. A lot of overtime for myself as I had to learn a lot in very short time in order to be able to deliver the project. The most enjoyable part of the job was the team, the least enjoyable was that information regarding the project was hard to obtain.

A typical day started at 8:30 AM and could end at 4 PM or at 9 PM, depending – more... on the next deliverable. The team was great. – less
Productive and fun place to work at
Market Risk Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: young culture
Cons: recent cuts made teams more "lean" i.e. more work
This is a great place to start coming out of university. Newcomers are trained well and welcomed. Managers' actions are directly aligned with their scorecard which in itself is good and bad. They are generally under firm budgets and would therefore not want to incur OT costs. This causes many projects to be delayed, or analysts staying late regardless – more... of not being compensated for the extra effort.

TD overall is a great place to work at. It's a huge bank and is different across the board. – less
DVP/SVP's all full of themselves and only look for underlings that will buy into their brainwashing
Branch Manager (Former Employee), Vancouver IslandJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: had great support staff
Cons: descriminate against older employees. unrealistic goals, micro managed to a point of total flustration, brown nosing is the only way to stay and get promoted.
Use to be a great place to work until upper management replaced those who knew what they were doing with those who just knew how to kiss butt. If you don't like to be micro managed and fed a lot of retail Wal-Mart sleezy sales tactics, are older than 45, then don't apply. Yes, this company promotes diversity but not if you have worked for them for 25 – more... years and don't fit into their up and coming younger age group they will find ways to get rid of you. Many good older workers given the shaft and it is easy to do when you are in a management position. Company has gone from a good employee/employer partner to just plain greedy.Getting all it's bottome line profit from the front line staff and juniour managers. – less

January 29, 2013

I can tell you are freshly wounded and can sympathize having gone through the same thing a couple of years ago. I was let go just short of 25 years. I got a nice package but was angry and heart broken. However, I've come to realize that it wasn't personal. Competition is the name of the game and in order for these huge companies to survive, the old ones get weeded and the new ones get groomed! Try to focus on all of your great experience and find an employer who is more appreciative.

April 17, 2013

SVP, and Regional Managers are degrading to managers, the rules do not apply to them, Human resources violates peoples rights by going along with upper management. I agree they discriminate against the older employee.

terrible work environment!
Sales (Former Employee), York Street London OntarioJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: a few dollars higher wage
Cons: negative work environment
Dont waste your time working here! very high stress does not compensate for the slighter higher wage (a few dollars more an hour for call centre work-London) Given unrealistic demands for making sales on calls where people are calling in to complain for higher account fees!
Super high turn over and abusive managers.

April 17, 2013

Middle management is degrading , Deming, unfair, they only respect the people they like. This place is full of favoritism, the work environment is hostile and discriminatory.

About TD Bank

TD is the sixth largest bank in North America by branches and serves over 22 million customers in three key businesses operating – Read more