TCF Bank

TCF Bank Employee Reviews

Good place to grow and development your skills
Branch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lake Zurich, ILDecember 18, 2013
I've learned in this company to work in teamwork as well to development new work techniques to improves everyday. Moreover the relationship with co-workers it is very good, however it is terrible the motivation to become better. The hardest of the job it is that can not help customers without Branch Managers approval. The most enjoyable part of the job it is been able to create relationships with customers and let them know that our company it is happy to have them with them, that motivate me to work harder, because they remember an above and beyond attitude, attention, follow-up, and quick resolution in their problems.
A starting point
Sales Associate (start) - Branch Manager (end) (Former Employee) –  VariousMay 6, 2014
On a typical work day I would assess what needed to be done in the branch. Make sure that all of my employees were taken care of and had anything they needed for the given day, and set up the sales schedule for the day. Usually the branch management and working crew got a long great, but it was upper management that made people feel replaceable and not valued at their job. The hardest part of the job at times was being held to an unattainable goal. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping my employees learn and promote within to get them to where they would like to be with their careers.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
salary, negativity
Charter One had to be in the stock market
Teller 2 (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MIJuly 10, 2015
Most mornings start off with a meeting about current promotions and what each person sales should be for that day. Charter One was like a supermarket too many products and half of the customers didn't have a lot of cash to work with. Co-workers were friendly but will steal a new customer from you because they knew who was an establish customer and who was new. The hardest part of the job was that Charter One didn't have a coin machine so loose coin from a business customer was very tedious. I enjoyed learning how to empty and refill the ATM.
Pros
Health benefits were offered.
Cons
You had a lot of out of pocket fees for health care.
SALES SALES SALES
Branch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2014
Typical day: SALES SALES SALES

Customer service is limited. Opening up accounts for new customers is the key in some managements eyes.

Coworkers make the day go by faster and easier.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with regional and management in regards to sales and getting accounts. If you dont hit your goal, you are threatened with termination or a write up.

You can advance in the company. some tellers advance within months to supervisors.

Training is paid for all TCF training classes.
Pros
paid training
Cons
united health care benefits taken out of check every two weeks (very expensive), so much pressure from sales activities
productive fun work place
teller (Former Employee) –  chicAugust 3, 2012
my day started 7a.m counting the vault, from there i received my teller drawer and my station/post for the day.from there i would handle deposits, withdraws, opening and closing accounts, and solving customer issues.TCF taught me a vast array of things customer service, problem solving, how to deal with irate customers in a calm and cool manner. i loved my management they were supportive great leaders and easy to talk to.the hardest part of my job i would have to say was trying to calm down and explain a problem to an irate customer. the most enjoyable part of my job there were so many its hard to single one out i loved every aspect .
Hired under false pretenses
ASSISTANT BRANCH MANAGER (Former Employee) –  GrayslskeOctober 10, 2014
I was hired as a supervisor and told I was going to be supervising. The job is ALL SALES. Everything in the company is based on sales and who you know. If you don't meet goals, prepare to be threatened. Many managers are unexperienced, but you can get lucky and get placed in an excellent branch with good co-workers and a great management staff. That was the only reason I stuck with the company as long as I did. Plus, you get to make great contacts within the community by meeting regular customers that you deal with everyday.
Pros
day 1 benefits if you are hired full-time
Cons
no set schedule, long hours, below average pay
I enjoyed working on group projects, exchanging information with coworkers and helping customers as well as the call center representatives
Call Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Schiller Park, ILMay 30, 2012
I learned how to quickly resolve issues to the best of my ability and how to retain communicate information quickly when needed. I have also learned how important and interesting working in diverse enviorment is by having the oppurtunity to learn about different cultures. Working in the financial industry has also given me a tremendous amount of insight of the economy as it evolves.
Pros
learning and teaching what i have learned and multitasking rarely gets boring.
Cons
30 minute lunch
Background
Assistant Manager of Operations & Sales (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 7, 2014
TCF Bank was basically about accounts first and customer second. The company can not maintain a great customer base if they do not focus on quality accounts. Throughout my seven years plus with the company, I was able to encounter and build great relationship with many customers. A typical work day consisted on sales, operations, and building a strong sales team to guarantee the branch was able to achieve our monthly sales goal. Over the years I gained much experience and knowledge about banking and looking to further my banking career.
Pros
intense job training, customers, and benefits
Cons
management
Truly best of the WORST, only better than being unemployed!!
Teller (Former Employee) –  COJuly 10, 2012
-turnover is extremely high.
-employee satisfaction is low.
-very low pay.
-promoted as long as you can open accounts.
-no benefits if you work PT, but yet work well over 20 hrs.
-you sell, sell and sell.
-required to be out street selling i.e. gas stations, mall, etc.
-some employees are lazy, they have been with the company for a while and are great order takes.
-regional managers are only concerned about meeting goals.

If you need a job, stay only until you find a good job with a company that has some core values and ethics.
Pros
you get a paycheck every two weeks.
Cons
you can and will get ahead if you sell and kiss rears.
Professional bank environment.
Assistant Lending Manager (Former Employee) –  Burbank, ILNovember 8, 2012
Responsible for achieving monthly sales goal in mortgages. Made 50 to 100 calls a day to initiate sales. Serviced mortgages for current customers. Management was helpful and professional. My manager was very knowledgeable. Attempted to build referral network by meeting with local realtors. The hardest part was making cold calls to make a sale. The most enjoyable part was refinancing a loan and helping a customer lower their monthly bills or issuing a new loan to a customer so that they can buy their house.
Pros
weekends off as well as holidays.
Cons
competitors usually had lower rates.

Want to know more about TCF Bank?

Ask a question
Challenging and engaging work envoirment
Branch Manager II, Officer (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COMay 19, 2014
Managed retail branch banking, handled high value clients, and all aspects of customer service. Mentored, coached, and challenged my staff to exceed sales goals. I thoroughly enjoyed my regional managers and all the insight they gave me to becoming successful in the banking business. My favorite part to being a branch manager was developing my team into management material and watching their own careers grow.
Pros
free lunches, creating a fun envoirment to work in, "fun days", bonus, contests
Cons
sometimes beyond aggressive sales tactics, lack of support from new management
Fun and educational place to work with quick advancement
Relationship Banker (Current Employee) –  Savage, MNJanuary 7, 2016
I like TCF Bank. The people I work with are great and show great initiative in training new employees. Everyday I learn something new and I apply it not only to the job, but my future career. The hardest part about working is when management is not in one accord with each other. Someone may tell me something and then another manager may say that's the wrong way to do a particular task. I enjoy coming to work each day and helping customers with their transactions. This in part assures that they are not only a customer but we are building life long relationships.
Terrible
Teller/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Lenox, ILSeptember 28, 2014
Just don't work here, it's not worth your time at all. The managers were lazy and sat in their offices playing on their phones all day, there was a high pressure to get 4 accounts every day, and the actual bank is shady because they do not disclose the customers on a lot of fees and charges that apply to their accounts, an example being that a customer is charged 30 cents every time they swipe their debit card. If you didn't meet your monthly quota, which for tellers was between 18 and 19 accounts, you were humiliated in front of your coworkers in front of your manager. This job isn't worth losing your self esteem.
bank if fun and target oriented
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILMay 10, 2013
Sales, customer satisfaction, new hire training, promote products, daily huddles.
Share overall responsibility for branch sales goal attainment with management team. Handled large amount of cash flow.
Implement and support new products and services
Ensure branch personnel are trained in policies and procedures, federal and state laws and motivate all the employees.
Participate with the management team in supervision of sales of a TCF office.
Visiting businesses to increase business accounts.
Maximized customer satisfaction with quality service
Cons
no job security
Helping people with banking needs and helping them find the right answer to the problems they might be having.
Teller/Sales (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 13, 2013
A typical day will include balancing a cash drawer, handling transactions, and cross selling different accounts. When down time happen on the teller line, some tellers will go out in to the grocery store and approach costumers taking about the bank and promoting the accounts. The management will set goals to achieve in the branch over the course of the day and the month. I really liked helping people on the teller line and meeting new and interesting people while cross selling different products.
Good banking but very strict on new accounts
Teller (Former Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILFebruary 7, 2012
I worked at TCF for a short period but I still learned a lot in the customer service industry as well as the banking industry. I had a very flexible schedule due to still being in school and they worked training and my hours around that which was fantastic. The pay was good at my stage and age. They were very strict, however, on getting new accounts and going in aisle (at a Cub Foods location) to get new customers.
Pros
flexible scheduling, strong company, extensive training
Cons
very strict on getting new clientele, getting new business, asked for employees to bug people shopping.
Productive Environment
Relationship Banker (Current Employee) –  MichiganAugust 23, 2015
Specifically at our branch, management is fantastic. In comparison to other banks, TCF is more conservative in their technology and methods. Where they lack in modernized techniques, they exceed in customer service. Determining what we CAN do for the customer, versus what we CAN'T do is the most important aspect of the job. Although employees are given incentives, they pay considerably less than other banks. They also do not provide a ton of room for growth.
Pros
Constant Training, Great Management.
Cons
Short Breaks, Open 7 Days a Week, Smaller Pay Scale, Less Room for Growth.
Very flexible scheduling
Senior Banking Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 27, 2014
TCF Bank was a good place to work while attending school. They helped me to be able to continue my education and still gave me a decent amount of hours. It was very easy to get time off when needed. Very hard to advance and management is very pushy when it comes to sales. Sometimes they would want you to lie to customers just to get a sale. The best part about working here was that I made friends with my co workers and eight years later we still get together often.
Pros
flexible scheduling, great co workers
Cons
health insurance is expensive, pushy sales
Great place to develop skills
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Champlin, MNOctober 19, 2014
This was a good opportunity to develop skills and experience as a manager and in the financial field. I was given the opportunity to train new employees, handle customer concerns, and audit both the vault and employee drawers on a monthly basis. However, the job was entirely too focused on sales and was not always concerned with how you got them. I feel that our customers could have benefited more from financial education rather than just more accounts that were not needed.
Pros
great place to develop skills
Cons
entirely too focused on sales and how to get it
Great place to work. The balance between work and family is valued by my employer
Financial Intelligence Unit/Tier II Investigator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 28, 2015
I work with very diverse group from several different talent groups. I have learned so much over my past year. I am able to work independently and yet given the help necessary to complete my assigned tasks with quality results.

I would not be seeking other employment if the company was not moving there corporate building staff to a new location that is going to increase my travel time significantly.

Great group of individuals to work with and a Great company.