TCF Bank

TCF Bank Employee Reviews

Stress is high but they offer help.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 3, 2015
A job where you must hit your daily, weekly and monthly goals. Constant pressure from management makes individuals quit very easily. If you're able to handle the stress and get accustomed to this fast paced environment especially on the 1st and 3rd of the month then you would do well. The pay isn't that bad and the job/life balance is achievable. You just have to survive your first 3 months without getting fired or quitting.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere when sales are going good
Cons
Increasing sales goals each month
New strategies
Enterprise Project/Portfolio-Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 2, 2015
There has been some turn over in TCF, and the continue to re-evaluate the consulting staff. There could be better communication to the consulting staff when changes are being made.

Otherwise, TCF is continuing to evolve in the work and processes in how they run projects and the portfolio side of things.

I love the colleagues that I work with, there is a wealth of knowledge with in the company.
Pros
Work life balance is great!
Cons
Turnovers, lack of communication
Absolutely depends on the department you work in
BSA/AML Tier 2 Investigator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 29, 2015
I used to work 5 years in retail banking and it was absolutely horrible. It practically is a hostile work environment. If you're just looking for teller experience go to a credit union where they don't have sales goals.

I current work in the Financial Intelligence Unit department of TCF as an Anti-Money Laundering Investigator. This position is A LOT less stress full. It's a very independent position. You just have to conduct your investigations and provide a report of your findings (to sum it up a lot). You do have production goals, but for the Tier 2 team they are for the most part very attainable.
Pros
Independent work means flexible schedule
Cons
Not much opportunity for growth
Great place to work. The balance between work and family is valued by my employer
Financial Intelligence Unit/Tier II Investigator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 28, 2015
I work with very diverse group from several different talent groups. I have learned so much over my past year. I am able to work independently and yet given the help necessary to complete my assigned tasks with quality results.

I would not be seeking other employment if the company was not moving there corporate building staff to a new location that is going to increase my travel time significantly.

Great group of individuals to work with and a Great company.
Had a chance to work with great people. Good enviroment.
Relationship Banker (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, IL and Waukegan, ILAugust 28, 2015
good work environment. had a chance to learn a lot on financial issues. coworkers made it easy to work with. training with TCF Bank was easy and understandable.
fun and pushy
Teller/Sales (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNAugust 26, 2015
TCF was great. workers were fun and encouraging. everyone was close. I could not catch on to the selling scene as fast as they wanted so the environment just became very uncomfortable for me. Im good at selling things people want and need, not bank accounts. So it was a personal struggle, the company is amazing!
Pros
great lunch periods, worked as a team but also indivisually
Cons
too competetive at my location
Great management team!
Relationship Banker/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNAugust 26, 2015
Great work environment. Employees very friendly. Loved going to work everyday. Loved helping regulars and new friendly customers. Cash handling very easy. Great company for promotions.
Pros
school benefits, healthcare
Cons
employees very competitive
Productive Environment
Relationship Banker (Current Employee) –  MichiganAugust 23, 2015
Specifically at our branch, management is fantastic. In comparison to other banks, TCF is more conservative in their technology and methods. Where they lack in modernized techniques, they exceed in customer service. Determining what we CAN do for the customer, versus what we CAN'T do is the most important aspect of the job. Although employees are given incentives, they pay considerably less than other banks. They also do not provide a ton of room for growth.
Pros
Constant Training, Great Management.
Cons
Short Breaks, Open 7 Days a Week, Smaller Pay Scale, Less Room for Growth.
Challanging and Educational
TELLER/ SALE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2015
Working with costumers in and out of their comfort zone was very challenging, but with that it taught me to work in different situations.
The staff was very encouraging and teamwork was a big part of the TCF facility which I enjoyed.
Fun & exciting job with incentives
Branch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 20, 2015
I enjoyed the diversity of working at an in-store branch; From working behind the teller line, opening accounts, training new hires, writing and approving paperwork.
There was never a dull day; there were appointments with customers, cold calls to make, offsite sales to perform and classes to take.

I trained under the best branch manager; she was knowledgeable, patient, was willing to work alongside you and train you and was very easy to approach.

The hardest part of work was having to rely on others to get a job done. Whether it was because I would be on PTO or it was not my area of expertise, waiting on someone else to solve a customer's issue was always a bit stressful.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Sometimes there was no time for lunch if you were the only manager
We worked as a family
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Schiller Park, ILAugust 19, 2015
TCF was a great place to work. Every call and every customer was different. I enjoyed being able to make someone's day just by going beyond the customer's expectation.
Pros
My co-workers were the best
Cons
Job Security
A Good Starter Bank
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNAugust 18, 2015
The people here were fantastic, but the good qualities end there. I would say this is a good starter bank for both consumers and those interested in a banking career. Pay is low, but job security high. You're probably not going to ever lose your job unless you;re caught stealing or the bank is closed by OFAC.
Pros
Flexible schedule for students
Cons
Sales pressure
Not a plesent place to work
AML Investigator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 18, 2015
The job environment is not very nice, the corporate culture is horrible. I would not recommend working at this company.
Very professional job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 17, 2015
At TCF Bank there is so much room to promote. They are always doing awards and making you feel special and an asset at the company. They always treat their employees great and offer tuition reimbursement.
TCF Bank
Ops Specialist II (Former Employee) –  SF, SDAugust 10, 2015
MN based employer - it was great for the most part..I learned some new skills/software at this position that started out as permanent but ended up being temporary. Interesting environment I worked in! Hard to trust people though but as they say - trust no one!
Pros
Location was close to where I lived - short commute
Cons
only one shift available no other start or end times available for this job
Banking
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 7, 2015
A great place to gain insight on the banking industry. A company that not only takes good care of their customers, but their employees too.
Great financial institution.a sleeping giant..great people..
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COAugust 6, 2015
During my tenure...This bank like any other company may have it's "issues"..example technology, but unlike others it is aware of them and is always trying to stay ahead.

This is a GREAT bank to work for and I have mentioned this many times...I made a mistake in leaving it.
We are a team at TCF
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 2, 2015
We all are a team at TCF; On the Spot Awards are great incentive to do a good job. There isn't a typical day due to the variety of work I do. Helping another employee or customer get to the right area is very enjoyable.
Great team and great company.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Oswego, ILAugust 1, 2015
Great team of young adults working efficiently in operating and processing customer transactions and providing genuine customer service and product knowledge in order to obtain quality accounts.
Management was great to work with and very flexible.
Pros
Great team to work with. Close to home
Cons
Not enough business.
Fun place to work
Teller (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 31, 2015
Myt co-works and I had lots of fun with out customers. The branch I worked for was very laid back although if we did not hit out sales goal there was a problem.
Pros
staff was great
Cons
very aggressive sales goal