TCF Bank

TCF Bank Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very flexible scheduling
Senior Banking Service Representative (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNOctober 27, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling, great co workers
Cons: health insurance is expensive, pushy sales
TCF Bank was a good place to work while attending school. They helped me to be able to continue my education and still gave me a decent amount of hours. It was very easy to get time off when needed. Very hard to advance and management is very pushy when it comes to sales. Sometimes they would want you to lie to customers just to get a sale. The best part about working here was that I made friends with my co workers and eight years later we still get together often.
Great company, great management, and great goals as a company.
Teller 1 (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 27, 2014
Pros: simple, easy work. great management and coworkers.
Cons: account acquisitions
The work was typical, the customers I encountered were nice and welcoming, and my coworkers were knowledgeable and helpful. Nothing about the work was strenuous or physically demanding; however, attention to detail was a key component to proficiency at TCF, which was okay by me because I happen to be a detail oriented young man.
Great place to develop skills
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Champlin, MNOctober 19, 2014
Pros: great place to develop skills
Cons: entirely too focused on sales and how to get it
This was a good opportunity to develop skills and experience as a manager and in the financial field. I was given the opportunity to train new employees, handle customer concerns, and audit both the vault and employee drawers on a monthly basis. However, the job was entirely too focused on sales and was not always concerned with how you got them. I feel that our customers could have benefited more from financial education rather than just more accounts that were not needed.
great experience
Teller I (Current Employee), Waukegan, ILOctober 18, 2014
Pros: my coworkers
Cons: longer lunch break
I have learned that customer service is key in any position you work in may it be a pharmacy or bank. As long as you listen to the customer and do what they as of you.That is what customer service is all about is putting the customer first.
Enjoyable attmospher
Senior Administrator (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 15, 2014
Pros: free checking, counceling, occasional free lunches, and weekly treats
Cons: stressful at times, long hours at month end, pressure to meet goals
I enjoyed my years with the bank. It was a great place to work....most of the people I worked with enjoyed their job so it was always a pleasant atmosphere. I learned patience while dealing with people whose homes were in the process of foreclosure as well as irate customers whose money was taken by collectors. I learned that teamwork is a MUST if goals are to be met....just roll up your sleeves and pitch in, even if it is not part of your job description. I retired in 2012 when I turned65, but still enjoy my contact with some of my former coworkers.
Hired under false pretenses
ASSISTANT BRANCH MANAGER (Former Employee), GrayslskeOctober 10, 2014
Pros: day 1 benefits if you are hired full-time
Cons: no set schedule, long hours, below average pay
I was hired as a supervisor and told I was going to be supervising. The job is ALL SALES. Everything in the company is based on sales and who you know. If you don't meet goals, prepare to be threatened. Many managers are unexperienced, but you can get lucky and get placed in an excellent branch with good co-workers and a great management staff. That was the only reason I stuck with the company as long as I did. Plus, you get to make great contacts within the community by meeting regular customers that you deal with everyday.
Provided positive management skills
Branch Manager (Former Employee), Detroit, MIOctober 9, 2014
Pros: made my own schedule, advancement opportunities were limitless
A typical day at work was scheduling 8 employees, over-seeing the operations of the branch, making certain that the branch served the customers well, providing assistance to tellers that needed it, being certain that the branch balanced out daily, monitoring security cameras, working with the district manager to cancel out shrinkage (not ordering to much of what was not needed). Management was always accessible, staff was very hard-working. One of the hardest parts of the job was trying to keep the branch numbers above normal (our branch was one of the highest in new accounts), the most enjoyable was having the ability to open not only new accounts but accounts that were profitable as well.
Background
Assistant Manager of Operations & Sales (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 7, 2014
Pros: intense job training, customers, and benefits
Cons: management
TCF Bank was basically about accounts first and customer second. The company can not maintain a great customer base if they do not focus on quality accounts. Throughout my seven years plus with the company, I was able to encounter and build great relationship with many customers. A typical work day consisted on sales, operations, and building a strong sales team to guarantee the branch was able to achieve our monthly sales goal. Over the years I gained much experience and knowledge about banking and looking to further my banking career.
Great Environment
Teller Supervisor (Former Employee), illinoisOctober 7, 2014
I learned a lot working at Tcf Bank, in order to move up in my carrier i think it was a great experience working here.
See resume*
Branch Supervisor (Former Employee), Burnsville, MNOctober 7, 2014
I was fortunate enough to be hired by a future friend and mentor at TCF, which just so happened to be my boss too. The amount of knowledge and experience during my two years there was something I can take with me for the rest of my life as far as being able to manage time, delegate tasks and meet sales goals. Sales was the easy part that came natural for me, the most difficult part which came to be the most rewarding while in management was the variety of personalities I had to deal with on a daily basis. Working at the imperfections and gaining constructive feedback from my managers and also my employees really enabled me to grow as an efficient manager but also grow as a person.
Terrible
Teller/Sales Associate (Former Employee), New Lenox, ILSeptember 28, 2014
Just don't work here, it's not worth your time at all. The managers were lazy and sat in their offices playing on their phones all day, there was a high pressure to get 4 accounts every day, and the actual bank is shady because they do not disclose the customers on a lot of fees and charges that apply to their accounts, an example being that a customer is charged 30 cents every time they swipe their debit card. If you didn't meet your monthly quota, which for tellers was between 18 and 19 accounts, you were humiliated in front of your coworkers in front of your manager. This job isn't worth losing your self esteem.
TCF BANK
Proof Operator/APCS Assistant (Former Employee), Burr Ridge, ILSeptember 16, 2014
A typical day working at TCF Bank was very busy, I learned so many different things about the whole banking industry.
Bad establishment
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee), Northville, MISeptember 8, 2014
Pros: career advancement opportunities.
Manager staff doesn't work.
Pay is terrible.
They didn't have the necessary tools and marketing strategies to compete with other banks.
It was a quite place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee), Algonquin, ILSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: the hours
Cons: the managment didn't like suggestions
 Daily teller transactions, answering the phone, making sure the customers’ accounts suited needs
 Opening and closing the bank
 Balancing the vault and teller drawer
Branch Superrvisor
Branch Supervisor (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILSeptember 2, 2014
• Monthly checking account sales goals exceeded on a routine basis
• Monthly savings account sales exceeded on a routine basis
• Performed onsite visits with surrounding companies to gain new checking, savings and CD’s.
• Cross-selling accounts to customers during their banking visits.
Advancement was available
Teller III (Former Employee), Livonia, MISeptember 1, 2014
TCF was a very pleasant company to work for. The ability to grow was very possible. Meeting new people was also a joy.
Great pay and great benefits
Bank teller (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIAugust 30, 2014
Pros: great pay and great benefits
Cons: worked weekends until 6pm
Great pay and great benefits, work lifte and balance was ok but didnt like the saturdays and sundays
productive day
Assistant Lending Manager (Former Employee), Lombard, ILAugust 26, 2014
Pros: working with commission
Cons: meeting your goal
make cold calls (50) per day,everyone was very helpful with questions or concerns,hardest part was not being able to help a customer to refiance their home or payoff debt,being able to lower their rate on their home to save money
I enjoy number and statistics, organizing data may seem dorky but I love it
Bank Teller, Loan Officer, Account Specialist (Former Employee), Monticello, MNAugust 24, 2014
Pros: being a nerd, working with numbers and data and organization
Cons: small working environment, long hours, if there was an error sometimes you would spend all night trying to find it and fix it
I would help customers by processing their banking needs, set up new accounts, keep strict documentation of data and numbers, any special problems a customer was having I would take the extra time and effort that my co-workers wouldn't necessarily take to do all that I could to fix the situation. I learned a lot about organization, sales because it was a retail bank and the more accounts we opened the more compensation we got, and how to block out the enraged customer, they're not personally angry at me, they're just taking it out on me, so I would say I learned how to repress. Management was always pushing our sales and it's very difficult to convince a new client to trust you with their money, but we did the best we could. I loved my coworkers, we always worked together but we had to get along, we worked in a very small area together. The hardest part of the job was how disappointed and angry customers would become when they realized they had made a calculating error on their bank account and we weren't going to be able to refund their fees. The best part of the job was taking care of those clients with specific needs and sometimes it was as simple as pushing a check through early, they were always so grateful.
Productive workplace
Teller (Current Employee), Saline, MIAugust 23, 2014
I've found that it's really about hitting goals as a teller at TCF. We really strive to bring in new account holders, but that's not where it ends. TCF prides itself on being a small bank, in that we really take the time to get to know our customers on a first name basis. We know what's happening in our customer's lives, and they know they are important to us.

About TCF Bank

TCF Financial is the holding company for TCF National Bank, which offers retail and small-business services through more than – Read more