TCF Bank

TCF Bank Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
AWFUL MANAGEMENT!
sales associate/teller (Current Employee), Shakopee, MNApril 19, 2013
Pros: none!!!!
Cons: no breaks, awful management, swearing, rushing me, and rude infront of customers
I have pretty good co-workers except for management. I currently work at one in a cub foods and managment is awful. one supervisor i have is always on my back about something and she rolls her eyes and says rude and nasty things to me in front of people. I did take it up with employee relations also. Yesterday in front of everyone she said i took too long to balance out my drawer and she made me feel awful she also made me cry yesterday because she was like hurry up are you almost done balancing your drawer? I'm so uncomfortable working for this TCF bank and being a new associate you would think that a supervisor would be a little bit more understanding and not make me rush because when learning a new job i take my time and double check my work all the time. I'm only there another week due to the fact of another job but i'm telling you right now if you live in Minnesota don't work at the TCF cub foods in shakopee. Management sucks and that supervisor should be fired for the way she talks to me and the way she acts! I'm NOT letting this go also my manager dresses unprofessional and goes out and smokes every 15-20 mins and she also doesn't even give me a little break under 5 mins to step away from the line for a little bit. And there is swearing and unprofessional behavior going on here and iam uncomfortable about that also! This is one of the worst jobs i have had in a million years and I have not been treated with such disrespect in my entire work history! Don't work here its an awful place to work and plus they arent accomanding to if you have another job lined up or want to – more... go back to school thats all TCFs but being a single mother of my child and only working 1 part time job isnt going to cut for income due to the fact i'm her main provider. TCF NEEDS TO UNDERSTAND THAT PEOPLE WITH KIDS AND WITH ONES THAT ARE A SINGLE PARENT AND SUPPORTING THEM SHOULD BE ACCOMANDING TO THE HOURS THAT YOU CAN WORK!!!!!!! – less
Do not work here
Customer Service Representative/Teller (Former Employee), Chicago Heights, ILOctober 18, 2015
Pros: benefits, incentives, break
Cons: management, No upward mobility, Terrible staff, Unrealistic sales goals, no respect to non-management employees
BRUH let me tell you about TCF, so I worked in a branch within a store right? So they make you so this thing called IN-AISLE selling. so basically what that is , is that you just harass customers all day while they shop and stand in one place for hours.The rejection is rediculous, I swear if you come in in a great mood you will leave pretty peed off.
Let's Not forget I am a very outgoing person but they basically teach you borderline harassment, they told me to not let the customer tell me "NO" keep following them. Like what type of stuff is that? This lady almost punched me in the face for trying to follow her., I tell you that is NOT a good environment to work in. Negative energy and the management isnt very friendly to the other employees. like Tellers, basically anyone who isnt full-time they dont associate with. Extremely rude.
Unrealistic sales goals for the type of reputation it has. NO one wants to bank with TCF except for people who have low income and low expectations. this is the JOKE of ALL banks.

Last note and I am done. So I found out I was Expecting while I worked here. DO you think the management tried to accomodate me? NO! they had a chair they called the "PREGANCY CHAIR" and u think they let me sit in it to rest my feet? no. The supervisors sat in it and they still had me on my feet three hours straight and wouldnt let me come in to rest because they thought I was overreacting, then wanted to get concerned when I passed out in the aisle and the ambulance had to come get me.I will honestly say the Grocery Store Employees cared more than the bank employees, – more... they kept thinking I was faking and wanting to go home. Like if I just wanted to go home, I would have never came to work in the first place. CHANGE THE MANAGEMENT and the goals. – less
LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE
Supervisor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 5, 2015
Pros: i was employed
Cons: incentive comes two months after earning it and it's taxed
Working there I felt like all I did was lie to customers because I didn't understand the policies they made us follow. When I was just a teller things were easy and I felt like I could run the company one day if I decided to move up. When I became a supervisor that's when I wish I stayed a teller. The pay wasn't much different and I was asked to do some of the DUMBEST things to get accounts. Instead of them putting the pressure on the marketing department to bring in new customers with creative commercials and advertisement all the pressure was on the people inside the bank which is stupid. How could you possibly want the people in the bank to get new accounts when the people that come into the bank ALREADY HAVE ACCOUNTS?!?! For tellers and management to leave the bank to acquire new accounts that means the existing customers have to wait longer to get transactions done which makes for unhappy customers who are going to tell other people not to bank with tcf. The tellers come and go because of this unrealistic expectation. Tcf has no technology and has the worst funds availability schedule ever made. It was truly impossible to explain to customers why they're account was negative when they never saw their account go negative on their end. But I had to lie to them and tell them "the system" saw your account as negative despite you putting more money into your account that covered the negative balance. I'm glad I don't have to lie to customers anymore I don't see tcf being around for very much longer. Oh and they closed 37 branches but kept saying "We're here to stay" YEAH RIGHT!!
I enjoy number and statistics, organizing data may seem dorky but I love it
Bank Teller, Loan Officer, Account Specialist (Former Employee), Monticello, MNAugust 24, 2014
Pros: being a nerd, working with numbers and data and organization
Cons: small working environment, long hours, if there was an error sometimes you would spend all night trying to find it and fix it
I would help customers by processing their banking needs, set up new accounts, keep strict documentation of data and numbers, any special problems a customer was having I would take the extra time and effort that my co-workers wouldn't necessarily take to do all that I could to fix the situation. I learned a lot about organization, sales because it was a retail bank and the more accounts we opened the more compensation we got, and how to block out the enraged customer, they're not personally angry at me, they're just taking it out on me, so I would say I learned how to repress. Management was always pushing our sales and it's very difficult to convince a new client to trust you with their money, but we did the best we could. I loved my coworkers, we always worked together but we had to get along, we worked in a very small area together. The hardest part of the job was how disappointed and angry customers would become when they realized they had made a calculating error on their bank account and we weren't going to be able to refund their fees. The best part of the job was taking care of those clients with specific needs and sometimes it was as simple as pushing a check through early, they were always so grateful.
Rather unpleasant environment with poor management
Branch Supervisor (Former Employee), Blaine, MNAugust 2, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule when needed, opportunity for advancement
Cons: poor management, little concern for employees or customers
A typical day at work consisted of running teller transactions and assisting customers with many different account needs and questions. While at TCF, I learned how to be a productive and helpful customer service representative. I also learned how to multitask with many different tasks throughout an extended period of time. The management within TCF was not very well-rounded. The skills that they looked for in managers were simply focused on meeting sales goals rather than management and interpersonal skills. Often times the upper management did not have the personal skills to effectively manage their employees. Their intense focus on meeting goals led to customer and employee neglect. As for my coworkers, many of them were significantly older than me and had been at the same location for many years. Those facts led to a sense of seniority and disrespect which made it very hard to effectively delegate tasks and jobs to my employees. The hardest part of my job at TCF was coping with the internal morals and values of the company. Too often the main focus was to simply meet goal rather than deliver effective customer service and proper treatment of the employees. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning everything that my job entailed. I am a very detail-oriented person so I excelled at the operations aspects of working at a bank which made my job enjoyable even despite the internal management, moral, and values issues.
Summary of Management / Marketing Experience
Branch Supervisor (Current Employee), Sioux Falls, SDDecember 15, 2014
Pros: plenty of opportunity for advancement.
Cons: obligated to relocate for any type of advancement.
On a typical day as an acting Branch Supervisor at TCF Bank, I am tasked with various duties such as creating and executing daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly sales goals. I endured my first marketing and management experiences with this organization. As TCF is the only entity in South Dakota, I am the person in charge of all in-house marketing material. I have created and implemented marketing campaigns as well as reward programs. My job has allowed me to become extremely calm and collected when working in a stressful, high periods of customer traffic setting. I manage a sales team consisting of five people.

This opportunity has taught me that I can thrive well while wearing many "hats". During my time as a member of the management team, I have been a sales coach, marketer, financial advisor, as well as a confident member of a cohesive team. I am able and willing to take on several independent projects, as well as delegate tasks accordingly. The hardest part of my job is understanding that the only opportunity for advancement is to relocate to another state, however I am still in school at this point for my Master's Degree in Business Administration, which hinders my ability in moving. Management has taught me that open lines of communication, as well as the trust I put in my well-trained employees instill a high level of confidence in knowing that we all have the company's mission and goals at the top of our priority list.
best of the worst
Bank Teller (Current Employee), Wauconda, ILApril 24, 2012
Pros: it's slightly better than being unemployed, although that's debatable.
Cons: look at description...
Pretty much what you'd expect from a job at this level. Low pay, turnover, and pretty bad treatment. If you're at a fast paced branch, expect to be reasonably busy, if you're at a slow branch, expect to take 10 customers all day, without being allowed to sit. There are no benefits for new employees. Turnover rate is very high. You will be paid between 9.50 and 10.50 depending on how long you stayed at your last job -- education does not matter to them, even if you have 2 degrees over your manager. Co-workers are nice, better than what you'd find at most retail. The most enjoyable part of the job is going home at the end of the day and forgetting about it until your next shift. Your entire future with this company, including performance, promotion and everything and anything else will be judged SOLELY on how many accounts you sell. You can be terrible at everything else, but if you sell accounts, they will promote you. Selling accounts involves cross selling at the line, and 'going in aisle' which means bothering strangers to open accounts. It's basically being a door-to-door insurance salesman, except you're going up to people in a store trying to get them to open accounts with poor features and lots of charges.
TCF Employee Summary
High Risk Analyst (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: the type of work and being able to prove my successes through my day to day responsibilities.
Cons: managements hesitance to help with situations that left employees dissatisfied.
I began my career at TCF as a document retrievals coordinator. I led a team to help with cases and reviews processed by the Financial Intelligence Unit(FIU). I personally worked with management and multiple investigators from all departments of FIU. My responsibility was to provide requested documentation for cases, such as, deposit slips, check images, account agreements, and many more bank related documents. At the same time I also took on a side job through FIU in the IT department to help maintain and run multiple programs the department used on a daily basis. This included weekly maintenance and reports for multiple programs. I then was promoted shortly to a High Risk Analyst, which is where I reviewed and processed multiple accounts that were alerted to be high risk clients. My responsibility was to determine through research and reports if the client should continue to be monitored as high risk or downgraded to commercial client. I reached and exceeded the goals of this position. The work environment was difficult from day one. Many co-workers were not happy with the company and the work ethics presented and reflected by the company. It made for an uncomfortable work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is it gave me an opportunity to prove my worth and dedication to my work. I was able to show I could handle multiple job responsibilities successfully. I also enjoyed the type of work I was part of.
Fast paced and fun work environment with lots of customer interaction.
Branch Manager (Former Employee), Roosevelt & WabashJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: great management and upper management.
Cons: not a good work/life balance and not competitively compensated.
A typical day consisted of meetings with daily scheduled one on ones with the management staff on duty for that day focusing on sales achievements as well as any operation issues. Interaction with customers and handling customer issues as well as maintaining relationships and creating new relationships with new customers. Attracting customers through our scheduled in aisle time and public announcements. Following up with back room departments and emails. Conducting monthly and daily meetings with branch personnel as well as monthly meetings for the all the Assistant managers and Supervisors in the region. Worked as acting Regional Manager when Regional was on vacation. In charge of many reports for the region and submitted them on a regular basis for regional review. Coached and observed sales associates and worked with them on advancement in the company. Promoted 10+ employees into the management position in the 4+ years as a Branch Manager. Worked with all Branch Managers in the region to maintain a sales and operations oriented environment in the branches. Reintroduced in aisle sales mystery shoppers to increase sales production in the branches and also other different plans to increase production as well as increased operations knowledge. The hardest part of the job was to leave work at work. Most of the times I would have to bring work home as well as being a resource for the region I would not only get calls for needing assistance from my branch but also the other branches in the region. I loved working at TCF because of the fast paced environment of sales and the daily – more... customer interaction. – less
Productive and Fast learning
Bank Representative/Teller (Former Employee), Maplewood, MNJune 2, 2015
Working as a teller for TCF Bank, there are many responsibilities taken, such as customer assisting, balance currency, using computers, scanners/printers, cashing checks, depositing, withdrawing from accounts, funds transferring, TCR depositing/withdrawing, and also entering information such as dates, bank names, identification of the customers receiving payments and legality of the documents. Along while working as a teller or bank representative, sales goals were given as part of the job, to make sales by offering customers/non customer accounts, being accuracy, and multi-tasking with handling money and giving the right amount. Another thing as a teller was answering calls from local stores for change orders, heavy incoming calls from customer concerns, calling technical support on assisting customers for setting up online banking, and setting up new accounts for customers. Dual control is an important role of the job when balancing out at the end of the shift or when giving out the exceeded limit of cash, always reporting to the manager or supervisor when making large amount of withdrawal or when there’s multiple transaction being done. When working closing hours assignments were to sign documentation forms, coding, preparing documents for shipment, and cleaning the work place area making sure confidential items were kept locked away in drawers.
Long hours, little pay and no respect
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee), Mesa, AZMarch 21, 2012
I was a manager at TCF Bank and I could absolutely not stand working there anymore! The executive management is extremely lazy and they spend more money on them going to Colorado, Minnesota and San Diego while the frontline staff can not get small trinkets when talking to prospective customers. The management is extremely vague on their expectations and expect you to turn nothing into gold. Also they pay less then most of the other banks and the staffing is horrible. If you go and work for this company you will be burnt out in less then 6 months and be upset with lack of a vision. One last thing, the executive in charge of Arizona lies to the management about promotional opportunities and states that they will be opening more branches any time now and to just wait. I have heard that lie for 3 years now. They really treat their employees poorly and that is why they have extremely high turnover rates. They are always hiring because once people see how this joke of a bank is ran they seek out other employment. I wish I had looked for a job earlier and not believed that better opportunities were around the corner..
Great place for no-experience advancement, not so much to opportunities on a higher level
Branch Manager- level III (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2014
Pros: multiple trips/events if top sales performance, great work/life balance
Cons: compensation level and advancement stop at a certain point
There is no typical day at TCF Bank and that is probably the most rewarding part of the job. Different customers, different issue, new goals or processes every day. Turnover is high because most of the lower level employees are part time workers, while in school. The upside/downside is the experience of working with new people frequently.
I work on University Campus and the atmosphere is much better considering the type of customer we service. Typical day consists of GL balancing, sales huddles and staff organization. The bank participates in multiple events on Campus and communications with University departments and student groups are frequent. I mostly do new account openings and organization of daily activities for the rest of the 10-12 people staff. Managing activities, recognizing development opportunities, training and promotion of employees. Operations have to be maintained on a high level- daily GL balancing, cash balancing, compliance requirements and other operational standards have to be met.
Me and the staff get paid incentive upon successfully meeting/exceeding monthly sales goals. No incentive if Audits are failed.
Share overall responsibility for branch sales goal attainment with management team; motivate staff; develop in-branch contests, communicate corporate
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee), Lafayette, COMay 5, 2015

Coach, train, provide work direction and communicate feedback to branch staff; assist in the recruitment and hiring of personnel. Develop and maintain appropriate performance tracking and communicate performance issues. Provide input to formal performance appraisals and/or prepare and deliver appraisal. Recommend or initiate disciplinary action as necessary.
Serve as a resource to all branch personnel when dealing with difficult situations and transactions. Utilize all available sources to resolve problems. Make recommendations to management which may enhance efficiency and profitability within the branch.
Maintain security measures and vault requirements established by management. Ensure personnel follow ID guidelines, protecting customer privacy and reduce exposure to losses.
Ensure branch personnel are trained in policies and procedures, federal and state laws. Maintain audit compliance. Adhere to audit controls to consistently achieve satisfactory audit ratings.
Schedule staff as necessary to meet customer service needs while minimizing compensation expenses.
Effectively manage the department functions while meeting and adhering to corporate, legal, and regulatory policies, guidelines, and requirements regarding compliance. Work with the Compliance and Legal departments for overall updates, procedure changes or development, and resolution of issues.
Very Productive and very organized,Friendly people
Sales Associate,Cashier,Assistant (Former Employee), Franklin Park, ILAugust 15, 2014
Pros: meeting new people, interacting with the costumers
Cons: short breaks, not enough hours
A typical day at work its very interesting day at work we get to meet new people everyday how they react and sometimes you just get to know them for those two minutes just being a good listener and interacting with the customers.What I've learned at my job is learning how to deal with money,learning how to transfer money into accounts also mainting checks making sure they are transferred and clear into accounts.The hardest thing about my job is sometimes having to change address for customers every time they move or just wanted to close their account because they feel like we failed them but that's not how i want my customers to see this company as.The most enjoyable part of my job is just feeling like safe and feeling like your co-workers like family,knowing that they always have your back always there for the connections you have with them just building new friendships.But also learning how to use money,learning how to open accounts.Also,just making my customers happy and having them feel comfortable around me.
No room for advancement/ low pay
Operations Specialist (Current Employee), Burr Ridge, IllinoisJanuary 6, 2014
It's hard to say that I have consistently enjoyed working for this institution because I haven't. For one thing, the lay offs are a daily scare. When I first started in my department, there was a mass lay-off in progress that eliminated several other departments entirely. If you aren't working within a branch, good luck advancing. People hold on to their positions in corporate offices and it is hard to compete with 50 other people when there is an opening. My manager makes .50 cents more than my supervisor, who makes .50 cents more than me. The pay is bad. The atmosphere is bad as well because no one wants to be here. We aren't allowed to celebrate employee birthdays, baby showers, ect. Other departments are allowed to. We don't have group outings. To be honest, I don't even know half of people's names in my department. There are only 20 people in my department. That's how distant this department is. I can go a whole day without talking to anyone and we are sitting close to each other. The one thing that I enjoy is that I have sick days and vacation days.
A Job Made for Enthusiastic Learners
Teller, Sales Associate (Current Employee), Kenosha, WIAugust 27, 2013
Pros: fast paced environment, paid lunches
Cons: tellers only get part time work
Working at a bank comes with a lot of responsibility. One is responsible for thousands of dollars on a regular basis and is relied on by everyone that comes in and out. Customers trust us with their money, their privacy, and all of their confidential information. It is a serious job and it is to be taken as such.

I have learned so much about the banking industry. . .including that it is a sales focused job, which I enjoy. We are to sell our products aggresively and effectively. I also attended banking school for two weeks. I learned all of the laws and regulations associated with banks and our practices.

The hardest part of the job is simply balancing it all. We our expected to sell, help resolve issues, quickly and correctly run transactions, and be sure we are providing our many clients with the best service available.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the feeling of satification when a customer thanks you for exceptional service, when you are making the company more successul, and knowing that you are growing with the company.
Consistenly keeps us updated on new and upcoming changes. It is a pleasant place to be that is why the employees walk around with a smile.
Contact Center Supervisor/Assistant Vice President (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: free exercise equipment
Cons: when it is slow, time seems to go slower
A typical day at work for me involves coaching and encouraging positive feedback to my representatives, assisting co-workers in other areas of the bank with their questions and educating and assisting our customers about our policies and procedures relating to their situation. I also key to reports daily.

I learned that with a combination of dedication and hard work you will start low but finish high.

My management has a big job to do so I handle my job independently, with minimal questions.

My co-workers and I have learned to work together peacefully as a team to successfully get the job done.

The hardest part of my job is initiating disciplinary action to someone that does not receive it well.

The most enjoyable part of my job is successfully completing and reaching our goals each month.
Flexiable, enjoyable job
Branch Banking Support (Former Employee), Maplewood, MNOctober 30, 2013
Pros: working in a diversified, open minded environment
Cons: not having the proper technology to simplify procedures
A typical day would consist of coming into work printing your branches GL's and prioritize who needs the most help from reviewing how many discrepancy entries they have, responding to morning emails, then heading out to those branches where ever they are located and assist. I could be traveling from 2 to 3 times a day is needed, and what I have learned is what really goes on behind scenes as well as how much training is needed at the locations I visit. My manager was great she's very supportive, helpful, intuitive, and offers advice when needed.
The hardest part of the job I would say is having to split the metro MN for three people, and getting to everyone's needs as soon as possible but it was a good challenge.
The most enjoyable part of the job is you are able to make your own schedule of who you want to visit, and also the team members.
Great Learning
Forest Lake - Banking Sales Rep (Current Employee), Forest Lake, MNNovember 3, 2015
Successfully completed all American Banking Association required classes and on going training.
Have a won awards or contests for the sales goals the past 6 months.
Continually meets or exceeds performance goals on a monthly basis.
Have been chosen, because of my excellent record of accurate balancing of daily receipts, customer care and exceeding sales goals, to represent the branch at the quarterly regional meeting which brainstorms solutions to improve the work environment and the customer experience on a daily basis.
Mail Handling incoming and outgoing mail, multi phone line system, operating general office equipment as well as sorting and filing the previous days transactions papers in accordance with the American Banking Association and TCF policies .
In addition to my teller responsibilities I enjoy being a customer service repressive, helping find the best solutions for customer needs. Opening accounts, explaining overdrafts, sending wires domestic and international, and the printing for official checks and money orders, is all apart of many daily responsibilities.
A pretty decent job to have.
Bank Teller (Former Employee), Round Lake Beach, ILOctober 2, 2013
Pros: very cool job.
Cons: low pay, slight stress: pressure to sell checking accounts monthly.
I liked working at TCF bank. (It was also a short term job because I found a job that had a great reputation for health benefits and a little higher pay). In the morning before opening- I assisted the manager or supervisor on duty with removing deposits from the ATM, then we would audit the money in the safe, and set up our drawers of money for the day. I was a Teller and I am very proud to say that my drawer count was always perfect at the end of all of my shifts. My manager commented on my technique once- I would count my money, then let him count it before I'd tell him how much was there. The only thing that stressed me out a little was the "quota" to sell so many checking accounts each month, customers would walk in & open accounts on their own 98% of the time, other than that I enjoyed the feeling of working in a professional atmosphere.
Headquarters