tc media Employee Reviews

Great job at TC media
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 15, 2016
I enjoyed working at TC media, it is a great environment with professional and friendly co-workers, and i felt right at place. But unfortunately, it was only temporary for I was replacing someone that was on vacation. I always do small mandates and I am ready to take on a full time/permanent job.
Great people but constantly changing
Studio Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 24, 2016
Great work environment and people but challenging to work since they are always shifting priorities from digital to print or the other way around.
Pros
Beautiful office, good work environment
Cons
Siloed departments
Fun place to work!
Merchandising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 11, 2015
Great atmosphere, great staff. Low salary and studio management doesn't really care for their employees. If not for the fellow coworkers, location and atmosphere, I would have left TC Media a long time ago.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Terrible studio management.
A typical day at work is making sure that the environment is safe, accepting and packing away deliveries. Organizing equiptments
facility coordinator (Former Employee) –  facility coordinatorNovember 3, 2015
This was a very fun place to work, too bad my contract ended.
I enjoyed enforcing work place safety and preparing meeting rooms and making sure everything was availble.
Massive politics, lack of leadership and strategic vision
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QCApril 26, 2015
This company is broken in so many ways. Every group/department acts as its own sub-company (each VP has its own P&L) and there is absolutely no synnergy between locations and groups, on the contrary. Group executives fight each other, there is a whole culture of distrust and politics which go from the SVP all the way down to VP, directors and managers. Even developers get to experience the fun of that.

In terms of vision, this company has an unclear vision and long-term objectives, and every project is rated on the short-term, with no regards to longer term strategies. A huge lack in communication, on every level, amplifies the long term vision problems and creates tactical and short term mishaps. The most used word at TC is "alignment" and it's a clear reflexion of that lack of vision and communication.

In terms of group leaderships, there are huge differences between a VP and another, between a P&L and another, and between the group's employees' strenghts and weaknesses, so your mileage will vary.

There is aboslutely no job security in this company, and it seems to go against all the latest digital trends, opportunities and threats. Right now, momentum seems to be in the Toronto offices, and Montreal's losing staff like the Titanic (both from voluntary departures and restructurations).
Pros
Good colleagues and social events, good location for Montreal downtown office
Cons
Lack of vision & leadership, lack of communications
Productive, fun workplace
Mail Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York, ONJanuary 16, 2015
Busy workplace, days usually go by fast.
Friendly, helpful coworkers
Open door policy
Fastest moving company I ever worked for.
Management (Former Employee) –  TorontoNovember 28, 2014
Fastest moving company I ever worked for.... good and bad. The industry is changing, this company is knee deep transforming itself, adjusting to the market and many are affected or given opportunities by the change management activities.

Only the strong will survive and a great learning experience for those who can keep up with the pace. No shortage of great ideas from passionate people with forward thinking, support from the business for new ventures but at the end of the day expectations are high to succeed and follow through & ROI are key as it is a business with fiscal responsibilities.

For those who are complaining, welcome to the reality check that was long over due. The days of a sleeping giant, that could coast and sit back are over. Employees must be solution oriented and not just good at meeting over committed deadlines.

This is the place if you like solving true business challenges, transforming legacy environments, delicately balancing cultural differences and delivering new offerings all at the same time. Its not for everyone, but if there was a place for learned lessons from the "school of hard knocks" this would be it.
Pros
great learning experience for change management!
Cons
short lived leadership, management and functional roles with so many changes to transform the business.
Not bad
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 11, 2014
I had a good work/life balance working there, and enjoyed working with the majority of my coworkers.
Enjoyed working at TC Media and co-workers was fantastic to work with
Client Service Rep (Former Employee) –  6688 Kitimat Road, Mississauga ONAugust 20, 2014
I coordinated the Retail and PartSource Flyer making sure all change s were done correctly from a product list until final is approved and shipped to the printer.
Communicate with client to garther any missing information and resolve any issues as they occur on project.
Proof all finals before shipped to the Client and printer making sure all changes we done as requested.
Order and follow up with client on missing merchandise giving direction on how product should be shot
Assist on creative for the GrandOpening and PartSource flyers if needed.
Attend meetings with Client on projects.
Invoice client and bill GrandOpening and PartSource flyers as per written contract
Upload final files to the Printer and resolve any queries from the Printer.
Worked overtime and on weekends if necessary to make sure the job get done
Assist co-workers if there are any slow period.
Pros
just love working especially when i am busy
Cons
stayed in until 4:00 am the to get the job done.
EXTREMELY Fun
Media Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Leonard, QuebecMay 2, 2014
A typical day at work would be to retain portfolio of accounts to ensure target objectives, are met on a well balance 4 day process. While developing a close relationships with multiple customers within accounts, and create new leads to maintain active release of newspaper, for the following week. The knowledge I gained there was being proactive, with my co-workers and customers. Most of my customers after I left they took there business elsewhere.

The hardest part was leaving my customers and co-works, and management, I had no chose on the matter because the company was going for a restructure, and since I was the last one in, that forced me to be the 1st one out, within my group.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working with a multi-pule amount of customers, and traveling time.
Pros
salary + working with people
Cons
taking large commission by some else.
In Toronto... nobody good stops in the job... very bad management
Art Director (Former Employee) –  TorontoApril 28, 2014
You can work 9-5 but super hard - with no stops for even to go to the washroom. Management is very bad... does not care about the employees and they have a very old mentality (the style that still thinks that they are too superior to even talk to your employee... if manager).
It was one of the worse places I have ever worked. Nobody cares about others. Nobody has fun. Nobody is happy there. Do not work for them if you have experience and if you care about others. Terrible HR people in the digital side.
Cons
bad managers, everybody complains, too many rude people, terrible hr
Innovative and great place to work
Assistant Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 14, 2014
TC Media is a world class printing and publishing company who believes in the innovation and talent of it's employee's.

Management is very supportive and encourages it's employees to focus on both personal and professional development. Amazing development and training programs providing employees with potential for advancement and opportunities throughout the country.

A welcoming office environment and true team workplace. Great Company benefits, pension and compensation is in line with Industry standards.
Different culture and different pace
Digital operations coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montreal, quebecFebruary 16, 2014
I worked in 3 different offices for this company. Every office, every department has a different way of working. My first experience was with weblocal.ca. The atmosphere was exciting and fulfilling. Our group was young and ready to learn and help each other and grow with our strengths. We were a close-knit group and celebrated every milestone together. I was very proud of the company I represented and woke up every single morning looking forward to going into work.

My second experience was within the newspaper group. It was a more slow pace environment. My coworkers were an older generation and a bit more skeptical about the internet and the future. Getting the work done was quite the challenge, but having everybody's support was rewarding.

My third experience was in an office of over 300 employees. My desk is in an area with 100 people and we all have to be quiet. Its a total different atmosphere! Everybody does their work and thats it.

Overall, this company gives you that sense of being a family. The relationship you have with your co-workers always go a bit beyond work. Everybody cares about you and that is always very appreciated!
Pros
free fruit every week
Cons
unproductive and inconsistent management
Well managed and effective company
Editor (Former Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NLNovember 28, 2013
I enjoyed my time with TC Media would recommend them to potential employees
Young, fun team
Interactive Graphic Designer Intern (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 24, 2012
The digital team is made up of young, fun, ambitious individuals who work very hard. Team building events are amazing and help to break the ice for new members of the team. The overall atmosphere is positive.
Pros
positive teammates
Cons
n/a
Environnement de travail stimulant
Directrice de recherche média, Groupe marketing (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 12, 2016
Plusieurs projets de front, des projets exigeant de la souplesse et de la créativité. Vraiment extraordinaire, car il n'y a pas une journée qui se ressemble.
Pros
Outils de recherche performants et adéquat, personnel dévoué et compétent
Cons
Plusieurs relocalisations
Environnement et collègue de travail agréable
Infographie (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 11, 2016
J'ai vraiment apprécié travailler à cet endroit. Donc je n'ai que du positif a dire.
Pros
Tous, les heures de travail, l'endroit, l'ambiance, le personnel.
Cons
absolument rien
Environnement de travail agréable
Adjointe de direction (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QCJune 1, 2015
Belle entreprise qui requiert des employés toujours actifs et qui veulent se dépasser.
Journée de travail bien remplie, opportunités de développement selon le poste occupé.
Belle complicité avec les collaborateurs, beaucoup d'enthousiasme
au travail.
Le plus difficile dans mon poste a été lors de congédiement d'employés.
Le plus agréable dans mon poste était l'interaction avec plusieurs employés de différentes région de la province.
Pros
beau lieu de travail
Environnement de travail très agréable
Concepteur graphique (Current Employee) –  Rivière-des-Prairies, QCOctober 9, 2014
La relation de travail entre une organisation et ses employés se traduit par donner et recevoir.

Un employeur de choix où l'environnement de travail est agréable, caractérisé par un horaire flexible, des espaces de travail modernes à aire ouverte.

TC favorise la qualité de vie des employés ce qui est profitable pour l'organisation.
Une expérience très enrichissante
Directrice, produit et contenu/Information locale (Current Employee) –  Québec, QCDecember 2, 2013
TC Media m'a donné l'opportunité de me positionner en tant que leader et de réaliser un projet d'envergure, de la stratégie à l'exécution.
Pros
dynamique, jeune, creative
Cons
changements organisationnels fréquents

2.8