Tarpon Energy Employee Reviews

Comfortable work environment
construction supervisor (Current Employee) –  Drayton Valley, ABJanuary 21, 2016
Typical day is arrive at shop, receive work orders or construction plans. Load material head out to location. Complete work and return to shop. Co-workers are easy to get along with.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no hours right now
work
electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 7, 2016
pretty good place place to work, management could be shaky and disorganized at times. didn't part ways on very good terms
Poorly organized, poorly operated.
industrial electrician (Former Employee) –  8020 71 st SE CalgaryDecember 26, 2015
A general lack of knowledge on the part of office officials combined with a slack safety committee have forced my resignation with little to no opportunity for advancement. A truly disappointing work experience.
Pros
....in town, I guess.
Cons
Everything that is not a pro.
Probably the worst electrical company in North America
Electrician (Current Employee) –  CalgaryDecember 16, 2015
I have worked for several electrical companies in several provinces in Canada and Tarpon are without a doubt the worst.
Management are completely incompetent. For example, regular lack of materials on the job even though the job site was in Calgary, lead hands with zero experience of managing people or job sites, career apprentices being allowed to run the show and do as little as they want, daily threats to be fired for: staying an extra minute or two at coffee break, making a mistake at work, taking out phone for a second on job site (site superintendent dared people to take out their phone while they were working so he could fire them).
I've never been on a job where morale was so low or where workers were treated so poorly. Not surprisingly many of their better guys quit Tarpon for better companies.
Also, a complete lack of any safety culture on site despite what they may claim. Their relatively clean safety record is more due to luck than anything else.
Pros
Girls in the office are good at their jobs and friendly.
Cons
Incompetent/inept supervision, very low morale, poor safety culture and more!
Good work place
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 8, 2015
Enjoy working with a nice team, good conditions and fun.I regret the layoff due the economical situation.
One of the 50 best managed company in Canada, safety first:work safe and get home safe at the end of the day is our priority.
gong show
electrician (Former Employee) –  calgaryOctober 7, 2015
poorly organized , lack of training and leadership or direction. avoid at any costs. 12 hr days don't ask questions or screw up
Pros
temp
Cons
everything
Worked as a basic Industrial electrician
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 25, 2015
Good people to work with and good management. good work trucks, and willing to accommodate for you. Hardest part was getting a hold of anybody in the office, a little unorganized.
Good crew
Electrical apprentice (Current Employee) –  Nisku, ABJune 17, 2015
I worked for Tarpon Energy for 3 years good company and good people. Now that I am A 3rd year I would like to work somewhere else to gain new knowledge and work experience.
productive
Quality Control Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaMarch 9, 2015
documentation, use of word and excel great team to work with, lots of learning and challenges which makes it worth while! always up for a challenge!
Pros
great breakfsat!
Cons
paying for breakfast
great place to work
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 7, 2015
organized and professional. management is great and awesome safety culture. great pay and benefits. working here is great

Want to know more about Tarpon Energy?

Ask a question
bad employer overall
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  AlbertaJanuary 31, 2015
Extreme favoritism with the managers buddies, does not follow any employment laws, expects many free hours and threatens firing if you question it. Saw them fire some people for getting injured. Women NOT welcome. Good ol boys club with poor management and culture. No interest in training apprentices for advancement, only on how much they can bill out to clients. Journeymen avoid any training of new employees. Very poor communication with employees. Very poor safety culture. Heavy drug and alcohol use-including on client sites.
Pros
former employer
Cons
everything
poorly organized management staff
Engineering (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ab.January 26, 2015
Management poorly organized on daily basis. Waited much too long to do my job efficiently and racial comments toward workers by management. All work well behind schedule. Internal strife between different levels of management.
Pros
not bad renumeration and safety program.
Cons
avoid working here.
probably one of the worst out there
Journeyman (Former Employee) –  AlbertaOctober 18, 2014
They take being disorganised to a whole new level; from the hiring team through to field supervisors.
Lots of cliques in the work place. Guys being "taken care of" by supervisor buddies despite the fact they obviously don't know their job (q/a inspector that didn't know how to use basic test euipment).
Safety is a joke.
Avoid them at all costs!
Cons
low pay, low quality work, poor safety, disorganised, bad outfit to work for
Low paying but lots of work
Electrician (Current Employee) –  NiskuAugust 22, 2014
There wages are low. With the high level jobs they got. There organizing isn't the best at all.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
organizing is poor. wages are really low for industrial company.
Do not Provide training for new staff..want you to know everything at once..
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 30, 2014
Do not Provide training for new staff..want you to know everything at once.. No job security
ok place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  calgayJune 20, 2014
- typical day is doing accounting
- learned Lawson, Ceridian
- management is ok
- colleagues are ok
- flexible work day
Pros
store discount
Cons
no window in my office
Great training opportunities.
Forklift Driver/ Shipper / Labourer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 6, 2014
Typical day would consist of moving steal out of the shop once it has been completed. Stage it outside for loading. Load trucks with orders. Use the over head crane to move material in and out of the shop and paint shop.
A great place to work.
Measurement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJanuary 16, 2014
This was a great place to work, but I was only there for a little over 6 months on contract to Talisman Energy. If I were to have remained in Alberta, I would have wanted to continue working for this company.
Strong work environment with focus on safety
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 15, 2013
Early morning stretch leading to a good day at work. All employees are off in time to get home to their families and extra curricular activities.
Pros
produces strong work ethics
Cons
physical work with large heavy objects.
Productive and a good place to work with.
Wiring Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 12, 2013
Tarpon Energy is a good place to work with. Everyday I learn more on the jobs I do and getting more productive. I enjoy working with my co-workers for they share good inputs on my everyday work. There is no hard part on the job for we help one another to make all things easy.
The most enjoyable part of the job is, we work as a team, as friends and family.
Pros
i learn a lot on the controls used in the oil and gas industry.
Cons
the only thing that is not really good is, there is no advancement in engineering career.

2.9