Tarpon Energy Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Probably the worst electrical company in North America
Electrician (Current Employee), CalgaryDecember 16, 2015
Pros: Girls in the office are good at their jobs and friendly.
Cons: Incompetent/inept supervision, very low morale, poor safety culture and more!
I have worked for several electrical companies in several provinces in Canada and Tarpon are without a doubt the worst.
Management are completely incompetent. For example, regular lack of materials on the job even though the job site was in Calgary, lead hands with zero experience of managing people or job sites, career apprentices being allowed to run the show and do as little as they want, daily threats to be fired for: staying an extra minute or two at coffee break, making a mistake at work, taking out phone for a second on job site (site superintendent dared people to take out their phone while they were working so he could fire them).
I've never been on a job where morale was so low or where workers were treated so poorly. Not surprisingly many of their better guys quit Tarpon for better companies.
Also, a complete lack of any safety culture on site despite what they may claim. Their relatively clean safety record is more due to luck than anything else.
Absolutly no direction from anywhere
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 25, 2016
Pros: my paychecks came in on time
Cons: everything
Horrible company. No Leadership or direction from supervisors they just threaten to fire all works everyday no matter the situation. They told us at orientation that they supply drills and power tools but they are all garbage and non functioning which leads to slow production and more threats of being fired to the workers. No health benefits for working for them also production was 100 times more important then safety, workers where forced to crawl through aluminum cable tray that was at least 9 m up without being tide off or harnessed in very bad safety cutler!!
Great company
Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 29, 2016
Pros: excellent travel compensation
Cons: not enough work available for existing employees
Amazing company with commitment and focus on Employee engagement and advancement. Great crew and right people in leadership roles.
Excellent work environment
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee), Nisku, ABMarch 30, 2016
this companie was one of the best companies ive ever worked for, run by excellent bosses, and excellent crew. learned a lot and furthered my career more and more daily
Comfortable work environment
construction supervisor (Current Employee), Drayton Valley, ABJanuary 21, 2016
Pros: good benefits
Cons: no hours right now
Typical day is arrive at shop, receive work orders or construction plans. Load material head out to location. Complete work and return to shop. Co-workers are easy to get along with.
Poorly organized, poorly operated.
industrial electrician (Former Employee), 8020 71 st SE CalgaryDecember 26, 2015
Pros: ....in town, I guess.
Cons: Everything that is not a pro.
A general lack of knowledge on the part of office officials combined with a slack safety committee have forced my resignation with little to no opportunity for advancement. A truly disappointing work experience.
work
electrician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 7, 2016
pretty good place place to work, management could be shaky and disorganized at times. didn't part ways on very good terms
bad employer overall
Apprentice (Former Employee), AlbertaJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: former employer
Cons: everything
Extreme favoritism with the managers buddies, does not follow any employment laws, expects many free hours and threatens firing if you question it. Saw them fire some people for getting injured. Women NOT welcome. Good ol boys club with poor management and culture. No interest in training apprentices for advancement, only on how much they can bill out to clients. Journeymen avoid any training of new employees. Very poor communication with employees. Very poor safety culture. Heavy drug and alcohol use-including on client sites.
Productive and good place to work
High Voltage Specialist (Current Employee), ReginaApril 22, 2016
I have learned management and financial skills.Also, my co-workers are user-friendly and very kind. The most enjoyable part of the job is technical challenges, troubleshooting, and recommendations.
good company, learnt lots, good people
Electrician (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 26, 2016
good work, learnt a lot, management is good, good people to work with, good times, lots of challenges, tight deadlines, good mod yard
Worked as a basic Industrial electrician
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 25, 2015
Good people to work with and good management. good work trucks, and willing to accommodate for you. Hardest part was getting a hold of anybody in the office, a little unorganized.
great place to work
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 7, 2015
organized and professional. management is great and awesome safety culture. great pay and benefits. working here is great
Good work place
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 8, 2015
Enjoy working with a nice team, good conditions and fun.I regret the layoff due the economical situation.
One of the 50 best managed company in Canada, safety first:work safe and get home safe at the end of the day is our priority.
gong show
electrician (Former Employee), calgaryOctober 7, 2015
Pros: temp
Cons: everything
poorly organized , lack of training and leadership or direction. avoid at any costs. 12 hr days don't ask questions or screw up
Good crew
Electrical apprentice (Current Employee), Nisku, ABJune 17, 2015
I worked for Tarpon Energy for 3 years good company and good people. Now that I am A 3rd year I would like to work somewhere else to gain new knowledge and work experience.
poorly organized management staff
Engineering (Former Employee), Calgary, ab.January 26, 2015
Pros: not bad renumeration and safety program.
Cons: avoid working here.
Management poorly organized on daily basis. Waited much too long to do my job efficiently and racial comments toward workers by management. All work well behind schedule. Internal strife between different levels of management.
Productive and a good place to work with.
Wiring Technician (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 12, 2013
Pros: i learn a lot on the controls used in the oil and gas industry.
Cons: the only thing that is not really good is, there is no advancement in engineering career.
Tarpon Energy is a good place to work with. Everyday I learn more on the jobs I do and getting more productive. I enjoy working with my co-workers for they share good inputs on my everyday work. There is no hard part on the job for we help one another to make all things easy.
The most enjoyable part of the job is, we work as a team, as friends and family.
a good company to work for with a solid shop
Apprentice (Former Employee), Lloydminster, SKAugust 7, 2012
work was consistent, management was easy to get along with, there a large and diverse group of people working there, allowing for flexibility within the work place, however it also seemed to contribute to isolated groups of people who wouldnt interact so much with the others. all in all, i enjoyed my time there and would return should the opportunity arise
probably one of the worst out there
Journeyman (Former Employee), AlbertaOctober 18, 2014
Cons: low pay, low quality work, poor safety, disorganised, bad outfit to work for
They take being disorganised to a whole new level; from the hiring team through to field supervisors.
Lots of cliques in the work place. Guys being "taken care of" by supervisor buddies despite the fact they obviously don't know their job (q/a inspector that didn't know how to use basic test euipment).
Safety is a joke.
Avoid them at all costs!
productive
Quality Control Coordinator (Former Employee), Calgary AlbertaMarch 9, 2015
Pros: great breakfsat!
Cons: paying for breakfast
documentation, use of word and excel great team to work with, lots of learning and challenges which makes it worth while! always up for a challenge!
Headquarters