Tarpon Energy Employee Reviews

Poor management culture in engineering group
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 25, 2016
No planning ahead of time and everything had to be done yesterday
They have high expectations from you and you don't get any appreciation.
Every once in a while someone needs to remind the manager that this is not a classroom and you are not the teacher! really poor management culture...
In the engineering department I haven't seen anyone satisfied, everyone sticks around just because economy is down and there are not many opportunities out there.

However, I had good co-workers and friendly team members in our department (except the manager) and other departments.

The worst aspect of the job for an educated engineer is that you don't learn much ENGINEERING, you will learn however how things are assembled in a real shop and how things are run down in the chain...
Pros
fair job security
Cons
low pay, poor management, not the best place to learn
Great environment
Owner/manager. Project manager. Maint/construction (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABSeptember 20, 2016
I have been subcontracting for a number of years. Tarpon treats all employees equal regardless of contract, or training. Very fulfilling place to work.
Welder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 9, 2016
Great place to work, safe environment and family oriented. I learned a lot and assumed a lot of responsibilities.

Challenging work, but very rewarding.
calgary based Mod Yard
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 8, 2016
management did their best to keep employees busy and kept the layoff rumours to a minimum. Working with lead hands who appreciated being in Calgary rather than up north was good.
Pros
In Calgary, O.T. available, Decent Management
Cons
employment based only on "up north"
Mod Yard
Industrial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 3, 2016
Decent place to work, while they had work!

Building Mods.
Wiring MCCs and panel rooms.
Conduit and tray.
Reading blueprints and figuiring out jobs.
Decent employer
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 18, 2016
was 1st period and green, was doing basic duties until i started to ask for more than picking up garbage and doing gear.

management was good from my experience but from others it was terrible. i would have loved to stay but too many changes in a rapid period and i was axed as a result not of my own.
Great pool of talented people
Manager (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AlbertaJuly 8, 2016
I have worked up the ranks within the company, and enjoy the family atmosphere that we have always felt to be part of the company.
Best part of this job, is being able to help others out, teach and learn from everyone that you work with.
Pros
Awesome people to work with.
Cons
Micro managing
Excellent Employer
Foreman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Cenovus Foster CreekJune 27, 2016
Great place to work, excellent people. I look forward to a time when the Oil field is back and booming to be able to rejoin Tarpon as a Fly in Fly out employee.
Pros
5% RRSP Free Benifits
Cons
possible Travel, Long hours
Great place to work, management and workers were all one team.
Measurement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 23, 2016
It was a great place to work. I was only there on a contract basis for about 6 months, but enjoyed the time I was there. I was working on a project for Talisman Energy, so I didn't have too much to do on a daily basis with Management, a lot of the time I was able to work from home. In saying that, Tarpon gave me everything necessary to get the job done and co-workers were great.
Pros
Company truck and laptop computer.
Cons
Not there long enough.
Productive and fun company to work for.
Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Nisku, ABMay 19, 2016
Learned many things while working at tarpon. positive atmosphere to work in. Good job stability. Gave me a great first look into the electrical world.
good company, learnt lots, good people
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 26, 2016
good work, learnt a lot, management is good, good people to work with, good times, lots of challenges, tight deadlines, good mod yard
Productive and good place to work
High Voltage Specialist (Current Employee) –  ReginaApril 22, 2016
I have learned management and financial skills.Also, my co-workers are user-friendly and very kind. The most enjoyable part of the job is technical challenges, troubleshooting, and recommendations.
Excellent work environment
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABMarch 30, 2016
this companie was one of the best companies ive ever worked for, run by excellent bosses, and excellent crew. learned a lot and furthered my career more and more daily
Safe work place
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 24, 2016
Tarpon Energy Services allows workers to follow safe work practices, and wants workers to get home safely each and every day. Other workers around job sites have great attitudes, which gives myself motivation to do my job.
Great company
Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 29, 2016
Amazing company with commitment and focus on Employee engagement and advancement. Great crew and right people in leadership roles.
Pros
excellent travel compensation
Cons
not enough work available for existing employees
Absolutly no direction from anywhere
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 25, 2016
Horrible company. No Leadership or direction from supervisors they just threaten to fire all works everyday no matter the situation. They told us at orientation that they supply drills and power tools but they are all garbage and non functioning which leads to slow production and more threats of being fired to the workers. No health benefits for working for them also production was 100 times more important then safety, workers where forced to crawl through aluminum cable tray that was at least 9 m up without being tide off or harnessed in very bad safety cutler!!
Pros
my paychecks came in on time
Cons
everything
Comfortable work environment
construction supervisor (Current Employee) –  Drayton Valley, ABJanuary 21, 2016
Typical day is arrive at shop, receive work orders or construction plans. Load material head out to location. Complete work and return to shop. Co-workers are easy to get along with.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no hours right now
work
electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 7, 2016
pretty good place place to work, management could be shaky and disorganized at times. didn't part ways on very good terms
Poorly organized, poorly operated.
industrial electrician (Former Employee) –  8020 71 st SE CalgaryDecember 26, 2015
A general lack of knowledge on the part of office officials combined with a slack safety committee have forced my resignation with little to no opportunity for advancement. A truly disappointing work experience.
Pros
....in town, I guess.
Cons
Everything that is not a pro.
Probably the worst electrical company in North America
Electrician (Current Employee) –  CalgaryDecember 16, 2015
I have worked for several electrical companies in several provinces in Canada and Tarpon are without a doubt the worst.
Management are completely incompetent. For example, regular lack of materials on the job even though the job site was in Calgary, lead hands with zero experience of managing people or job sites, career apprentices being allowed to run the show and do as little as they want, daily threats to be fired for: staying an extra minute or two at coffee break, making a mistake at work, taking out phone for a second on job site (site superintendent dared people to take out their phone while they were working so he could fire them).
I've never been on a job where morale was so low or where workers were treated so poorly. Not surprisingly many of their better guys quit Tarpon for better companies.
Also, a complete lack of any safety culture on site despite what they may claim. Their relatively clean safety record is more due to luck than anything else.
Pros
Girls in the office are good at their jobs and friendly.
Cons
Incompetent/inept supervision, very low morale, poor safety culture and more!