Tarpon Energy Services Employee Reviews

Good company to begin an apprenticeship
Instrumentation Technician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Hinton, AB20 December 2016
Typical day at work involves driving to site, assessing the job. Getting everything ready and conducting safety permits. Out in the boonies so its quite nice. Conducting the work for the rest of the day with good spaced out breaks and lunch. Finish up and drive home!
Pros
Great energy, good team, overall goals are good!
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 November 2016
I really liked working there. From my interview till the day i left all was very good. The day went well and the money and benefits were great. And the workers and managment listen very well to each other.
Pros
Thoughtful of employees
Cons
Cant think of any
Good work standard and treated well as a worker
Lead hand Electrician (Former Employee) –  7020 81 street Southeast7 October 2016
I met lots of very nice people working here and enjoyed 3 years with this company. The work standards were high and I learned a lot from both management and other electricians
Pros
Job security
Cons
Not as much room to get promoted as i hoped
An OK company
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 September 2016
5/10
work days were sometimes slow or overly busy, poorly managed man power made some mediocre task take much longer than needed. The benefit was the experience gained, the mod yard was good place to get exposure to industrial gear and various equipment.
Management is why I left. My coworkers and direct managers were great and the job culture was there. The hardest part of my job was interacting with upper management and having no work to do.
The most enjoyable part of the job was some of the unique challenges that the type of construction posed, opportunity to work with some skilled and experienced workers.
Pros
safe work procedures, good compensation
Cons
poorly regarded as a worker
Tarpon was a very layed back employer, with a great office staff.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Taber, AB26 May 2016
I was in Taber for only three years and was hired as an Administrative Assistant for an Electrical and Instrumentation Company.

Because of my diverse skill set, I was able to assist with many computer issues as well as help build spreadsheets.
Pros
Tarpon was a fun place to work, we got along really well.
Cons
Once a year we conducted our inventory, that could take up to a week to enter counts.
Where you learn how to not treat PEOPLE
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 April 2016
foremans and supers are a joke who cannot communicate, threaten your job security at every opportunity and just all around bad people.
Some of the lead hands were alright but there certaintly were exceptions to that. surprised the company is still doing business. Businesses that embrace people as their greatest asset and reward and treat them well often succeed, and as you can see they have not and they lost the best of the core of their CS division to another company who is now getting lots of work and contracts, also they cannot get a single job in their mod yard it seems. I guess what goes around comes around.
Worst electrical contractor in North America
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2016
I have worked for many companies in several provinces in Canada and Tarpon are without a doubt the worst of the lot. Management and supervision are completely incompetent and many of them have no idea how to run a job or deal with co-workers.
There was daily threats from management to fire workers for staying a minute or two extra on coffee breaks, making minor mistakes in work, taking phone out of pocket while working etc. Career apprentices were given free reign to do as little as they wanted while giving orders to far more experienced workers. There was a large turnover of workers as many of the better guys quit them for better opportunities elsewhere.
And there was a very poor safety culture. Rarely saw the safety officer on site at all.
Pros
The office girls were friendly and good at their jobs.
Cons
Incompetent staff, regular threats to be fired, poor salary and no benefits, poor safety culture.
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2016
This company was going through lots of changes when I was there. Was bought up by another company and at the same time thing started to slow down so it was a little crazy. But the people are nice and helpful.
Great management team
Construction General Foreman (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2015
Tarpon is a fast growing company with great management and leaders. There's room to advance in your career and people are respected for their workmanship.
nice and bise place
Apprentice-electrician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 November 2015
Not bed, I just working 2 month,
Supportive management,
long hours, around 12,
4 days on and 4 days off,
but......short term
Productive - and interesting culture can do adittude
Project Management (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 June 2015
Tarpon is a PTW company - and is going through management changes and struggles which is not uncommon.

Work environment was very good, however workload weekend as the sector changed to 60 $ oil.
Pros
people are good
Cons
software issues
Skilled and proffessional working environmet
Electrical Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 May 2015
The company has numerous simultaneous projects which require a lot of quality and analytical decisions to be made.

I have learned how to manage and motivate the staff in order to meet the necessary deadlines and how important consistent communication with clients is.

For management, it is important to utilize everyone's strengths and improve on their weaknesses. Eliminating non-value added steps in the process is a fundamental step in success.

The co-workers are hardworking individuals. The team is great and everyone is working on a common goal.

The hardest part of the job, is to consistently re-structure the project plan with ever changing deadlines.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to see the consistency and the quality of the work being produced with all the standardizations and trainings I implemented.
Pros
Secure, well recognized company
Cons
Distance from the core
Enjoyed the company and the people I worked with. I was taught alot here.
Intermediate Draftsperson (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 March 2015
I enjoyed my time at Tarpon as it was a challenging place to work. The drafting department at Tarpon has been going through many changes in the last couple of years and it is really coming together.

The drafting department consists of a mix of junior and intermediate draters that work extremely well together to get the job done. I found the drafting manager well focused on the needs of a project to get it done right and efficiently. A very good people person.

This is a drafting group that has and maintains Drafting Standards that make the overall job that much easier to do.
Pros
On site cafeteria, coworkers, constant work, flexable hours
Cons
Great place to start your apprenticeship
Instrumentation Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB29 January 2015
Tarpon was great at keeping employees busy, good benefits and work environment and a great place to learn.
Fun and good environment
Laborer (Former Employee) –  stettler Ab20 November 2014
great place to work. and start out
worked in shop
great manager
good people to work with
remembering everything
hands on work
good job
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  stettler22 October 2014
good job just finished contract with them
vwerry enjoyable work they just didnt have enough work
No training for new staff. No Job security
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Calgary1 September 2014
Potential Estimators Beware !!! They want you to know everything at once, no Job security, instant let you go without reason genuine reason.
Pros
Regular income which is normal, anyway....
Cons
No training for new staff....No job Security
fun atmosphere and very knowledgable staff
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 August 2014
Tarpon was a great place to work always looked forward to coming back from days off the way it should feel
good money and close to home
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 July 2014
Tarpon provided a fun environment to work with good work hours
Good Company
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 July 2014
I really enjoyed my time with Tarpon when I was there. Excellent management group and the crews were amazing to deal with.
Pros
Wage, benefits, Management

Tarpon Energy Services Reviews by Location