Tarpon Energy Services Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Where you learn how to not treat PEOPLE
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 17, 2016
foremans and supers are a joke who cannot communicate, threaten your job security at every opportunity and just all around bad people.
Some of the lead hands were alright but there certaintly were exceptions to that. surprised the company is still doing business. Businesses that embrace people as their greatest asset and reward and treat them well often succeed, and as you can see they have not and they lost the best of the core of their CS division to another company who is now getting lots of work and contracts, also they cannot get a single job in their mod yard it seems. I guess what goes around comes around.
Worst electrical contractor in North America
Electrician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2016
Pros: The office girls were friendly and good at their jobs.
Cons: Incompetent staff, regular threats to be fired, poor salary and no benefits, poor safety culture.
I have worked for many companies in several provinces in Canada and Tarpon are without a doubt the worst of the lot. Management and supervision are completely incompetent and many of them have no idea how to run a job or deal with co-workers.
There was daily threats from management to fire workers for staying a minute or two extra on coffee breaks, making minor mistakes in work, taking phone out of pocket while working etc. Career apprentices were given free reign to do as little as they wanted while giving orders to far more experienced workers. There was a large turnover of workers as many of the better guys quit them for better opportunities elsewhere.
And there was a very poor safety culture. Rarely saw the safety officer on site at all.
Great management team
Construction General Foreman (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 28, 2015
Tarpon is a fast growing company with great management and leaders. There's room to advance in your career and people are respected for their workmanship.
nice and bise place
Apprentice-electrician (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 7, 2015
Not bed, I just working 2 month,
Supportive management,
long hours, around 12,
4 days on and 4 days off,
but......short term
Productive - and interesting culture can do adittude
Project Management (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 16, 2015
Pros: people are good
Cons: software issues
Tarpon is a PTW company - and is going through management changes and struggles which is not uncommon.

Work environment was very good, however workload weekend as the sector changed to 60 $ oil.
Skilled and proffessional working environmet
Electrical Department Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 26, 2015
Pros: Secure, well recognized company
Cons: Distance from the core
The company has numerous simultaneous projects which require a lot of quality and analytical decisions to be made.

I have learned how to manage and motivate the staff in order to meet the necessary deadlines and how important consistent communication with clients is.

For management, it is important to utilize everyone's strengths and improve on their weaknesses. Eliminating non-value added steps in the process is a fundamental step in success.

The co-workers are hardworking individuals. The team is great and everyone is working on a common goal.

The hardest part of the job, is to consistently re-structure the project plan with ever changing deadlines.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to see the consistency and the quality of the work being produced with all the standardizations and trainings I implemented.
Enjoyed the company and the people I worked with. I was taught alot here.
Intermediate Draftsperson (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 31, 2015
Pros: On site cafeteria, coworkers, constant work, flexable hours
Cons: Location
I enjoyed my time at Tarpon as it was a challenging place to work. The drafting department at Tarpon has been going through many changes in the last couple of years and it is really coming together.

The drafting department consists of a mix of junior and intermediate draters that work extremely well together to get the job done. I found the drafting manager well focused on the needs of a project to get it done right and efficiently. A very good people person.

This is a drafting group that has and maintains Drafting Standards that make the overall job that much easier to do.
Great place to start your apprenticeship
Instrumentation Journeyman (Former Employee), Drayton Valley, ABJanuary 29, 2015
Tarpon was great at keeping employees busy, good benefits and work environment and a great place to learn.
Fun and good environment
Laborer (Former Employee), stettler AbNovember 20, 2014
great place to work. and start out
worked in shop
great manager
good people to work with
remembering everything
hands on work
good job
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee), stettlerOctober 22, 2014
good job just finished contract with them
vwerry enjoyable work they just didnt have enough work
No training for new staff. No Job security
Estimator (Former Employee), CalgarySeptember 1, 2014
Pros: regular income which is normal, anyway....
Cons: no training for new staff....no job security
Potential Estimators Beware !!! They want you to know everything at once, no Job security, instant let you go without reason genuine reason.
fun atmosphere and very knowledgable staff
Apprentice (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 24, 2014
Tarpon was a great place to work always looked forward to coming back from days off the way it should feel
good money and close to home
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 10, 2014
Tarpon provided a fun environment to work with good work hours
Good Company
Recruiter (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 2, 2014
Pros: wage, benefits, management
I really enjoyed my time with Tarpon when I was there. Excellent management group and the crews were amazing to deal with.
Very safety place to work
Metal Shop - Metal Saw Operator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 20, 2014
but job security is stressfull. When we slow down Company cut work days .For exemple- today when I write this resum to you , I have two days off with not pay ,because we slown down in the production ..
lots of good ideas no application of them
Industrial Electrician (Former Employee), Kindersley, SKMarch 18, 2014
weak management and too fragmented if not in one of the bigger workshops.penny wise and pound foolish company.not big on paying LOA to workers not involved in large scale construction jobs
Very Dynamic Company
Senior Collection Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaDecember 9, 2013
Pros: great service provider in the industry
Cons: acquistions in the oil industry happen
Great management, awesome service, professionals, resources to accomplish tasks at hand effectively - Work, life balance.
Fast Paced and great group of guys
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 10, 2013
Build Modular Buildings for the Oil and Gas Field. Standard 10hr days. Great group to work with and perks from management make it a good place to work. Very easy going environment
Various Opportunites
Foreman/Project Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 21, 2013
Many learning opportunities, large workforce, travel

wegqerght4rhtw
efdhwehwerhwerh
werthwerhwerhwrehwerh
Nice people, Good pay, bad managment
Steel erector/Welder Apprentice (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2013
Pros: good pay nice co-workers
Cons: theres a clique there and if your not in it they aren't doing anything for you
Worked for tarpon about 10 months was being strung along with the promise of actually getting welding experience and hours for my apprenticeship they gave me 450 hours i was given from my first three months when signing up and 300 i was credited for previous experience for the next 7 months i got 40 hours out of 1000 and was told i should be happy with the raise they gave me and not complain about my hours. i was never taught anything i had to ask journeymen on their breaks about the problems with my welds and general welding advise. other than what i taught myself on my lunches and during my overtime unpaid.
I am very passionate about welding and moved from ontario to alberta to get the best welding education canada can offer.
Headquarters