Tarpon Energy Services

Tarpon Energy Services Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Skilled and proffessional working environmet
Electrical Department Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 26, 2015
Pros: Secure, well recognized company
Cons: Distance from the core
The company has numerous simultaneous projects which require a lot of quality and analytical decisions to be made.

I have learned how to manage and motivate the staff in order to meet the necessary deadlines and how important consistent communication with clients is.

For management, it is important to utilize everyone's strengths and improve on their weaknesses. Eliminating non-value added steps in the process is a fundamental step in success.

The co-workers are hardworking individuals. The team is great and everyone is working on a common goal.

The hardest part of the job, is to consistently re-structure the project plan with ever changing deadlines.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to see the consistency and the quality of the work being produced with all the standardizations and trainings I implemented.
Starting Apprentice
Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABApril 4, 2015
Pros: Professional environment
Cons: Waiting for work
Great place to start off. Very happy I started at Tarpon. Only issue was waiting for work and not getting paid. Just like to come in and start working. My only downside. They supplied me with all my extra's. Coveralls, Gloves and all the other stuff you need.
Enjoyed the company and the people I worked with. I was taught alot here.
Intermediate Draftsperson (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 31, 2015
Pros: On site cafeteria, coworkers, constant work, flexable hours
Cons: Location
I enjoyed my time at Tarpon as it was a challenging place to work. The drafting department at Tarpon has been going through many changes in the last couple of years and it is really coming together.

The drafting department consists of a mix of junior and intermediate draters that work extremely well together to get the job done. I found the drafting manager well focused on the needs of a project to get it done right and efficiently. A very good people person.

This is a drafting group that has and maintains Drafting Standards that make the overall job that much easier to do.
Great place to start your apprenticeship
Instrumentation Journeyman (Former Employee), Drayton Valley, ABJanuary 29, 2015
Tarpon was great at keeping employees busy, good benefits and work environment and a great place to learn.
Fun and good environment
Laborer (Former Employee), stettler AbNovember 20, 2014
great place to work. and start out
worked in shop
great manager
good people to work with
remembering everything
hands on work
good job
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee), stettlerOctober 22, 2014
good job just finished contract with them
vwerry enjoyable work they just didnt have enough work
No training for new staff. No Job security
Estimator (Former Employee), CalgarySeptember 1, 2014
Pros: regular income which is normal, anyway....
Cons: no training for new staff....no job security
Potential Estimators Beware !!! They want you to know everything at once, no Job security, instant let you go without reason genuine reason.
fun atmosphere and very knowledgable staff
Apprentice (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 24, 2014
Tarpon was a great place to work always looked forward to coming back from days off the way it should feel
good money and close to home
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 10, 2014
Tarpon provided a fun environment to work with good work hours
Good Company
Recruiter (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 2, 2014
Pros: wage, benefits, management
I really enjoyed my time with Tarpon when I was there. Excellent management group and the crews were amazing to deal with.
Very safety place to work
Metal Shop - Metal Saw Operator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 20, 2014
but job security is stressfull. When we slow down Company cut work days .For exemple- today when I write this resum to you , I have two days off with not pay ,because we slown down in the production ..
lots of good ideas no application of them
Industrial Electrician (Former Employee), Kindersley, SKMarch 18, 2014
weak management and too fragmented if not in one of the bigger workshops.penny wise and pound foolish company.not big on paying LOA to workers not involved in large scale construction jobs
Very Dynamic Company
Senior Collection Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaDecember 9, 2013
Pros: great service provider in the industry
Cons: acquistions in the oil industry happen
Great management, awesome service, professionals, resources to accomplish tasks at hand effectively - Work, life balance.
Fast Paced and great group of guys
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 10, 2013
Build Modular Buildings for the Oil and Gas Field. Standard 10hr days. Great group to work with and perks from management make it a good place to work. Very easy going environment
Various Opportunites
Foreman/Project Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 21, 2013
Many learning opportunities, large workforce, travel

wegqerght4rhtw
efdhwehwerhwerh
werthwerhwerhwrehwerh
Nice people, Good pay, bad managment
Steel erector/Welder Apprentice (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2013
Pros: good pay nice co-workers
Cons: theres a clique there and if your not in it they aren't doing anything for you
Worked for tarpon about 10 months was being strung along with the promise of actually getting welding experience and hours for my apprenticeship they gave me 450 hours i was given from my first three months when signing up and 300 i was credited for previous experience for the next 7 months i got 40 hours out of 1000 and was told i should be happy with the raise they gave me and not complain about my hours. i was never taught anything i had to ask journeymen on their breaks about the problems with my welds and general welding advise. other than what i taught myself on my lunches and during my overtime unpaid.
I am very passionate about welding and moved from ontario to alberta to get the best welding education canada can offer.
Hire and Fire
Journeyman welder (Former Employee), Calgary,AB StructuresJanuary 23, 2013
Typical hire and fire company, except now they are replacing Canadian Apprentices and Journeymen with Temporary Foreign Workers. The money and hours are there when they have work but do to poor management and organization lay offs come regularly.
Mediocre with poor job security
Journeyman welder (Former Employee), StructuresJanuary 21, 2013
Bad management, Bad organization,and good employees being replaced by Temporary Foreign Workers. When they have the work you work excessively(7 days a week), then as soon as that project is over they lay off. Standard hire and fire Company.
Very prodeuctive and excellant communication within manage,ent and workers
HSE (Former Employee), Kearl LakeSeptember 18, 2012
Pros: camp
Cons: no days off
It was a short job at Kearl Lake where I am currently;
I find Tarpon's C.M.T to work great together.
Extremely rewarding place to work, open to training people and recognition of growth
Manufacturing Interface Superintendent (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 21, 2012
Pros: employee driven improvements to areas and processes, managers addressing employees with positive feedback on a daily basis, luncheons for employees to thank them for their roles in the company, excellent focus on safety company wide
Cons: conjested working space at beginning of process, lack of space to put materials
This was an exciting position as not only was I leading a team of leaders on the production of a "new age" living quarters camp for Suncor energy, I was involved in all aspects of the project from beginning to end. Upon hire, I became involved in doing material take offs, recruiting as we progressed through the stages of development, creating progression reports and meeting with stakeholders, tracking production times and reporting them in morning meetings, implementing daily stretching program and conducting morale interviews with employees to ensure our leaders were developing and mentoring staff to working with the construction manager in aligning the functions for success in the manufacture of the units.
I learned about all that it takes to prepare for a multi million dollar project, the alignment of activites required before anything could be started, who all the stakeholders were and how each step affected the previous/next step on the planning stages.
Managers were not familiar with camps production and were very open to trying concepts that were brought to the table from those of us with relevant experience in the manufacture of camps.
My co-workers were excellent teachers, mentors and achievers. Not only do we learn from those who lead us, but we learn so much from those we lead. Very rewarding experience for me.
The hardest part of the job was not being able to be on the plant floor as often as I was used to as my job required alot of administrative duties daily. I came from a background of being on the floor 90% of the day and ensuring that all employee needs were being met to maxinize productivity in a safe, quality minded manner daily.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with all levels of management, design, human resources, sub contractors and employees as well as seeing the customer expectations being met and exceeded as we progressed.