Tarpon Energy Services Employee Reviews

Fun work place
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB6 September 2017
Tarpon was a great place to work. They were very supportive and I felt with the journeyman I worked with I was trained in accuracy and execution of small assigned projects.
1st year electrical apprentice
First Year Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 August 2017
Consistent work at the time. tarpon wasn't to honest about end dates and layoffs though. wage was fair for in town work. Leadership was to a minimum do to the amount of guys they had working for them.
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 August 2017
I was hired on as a Project Admin in Calgary. I was only able to work for a short period because my family unexpectedly relocated out of province. This was disappointing because I loved working there. What a great group of people, it was fun and the work was challenging. They were always flexible and accommodating. I would work there again in a heartbeat if I had the chance.
great company
Electrical Manager (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, AB26 May 2017
this was as well a great company to work for. With trying to raise a family I thought it would be better in joining a company that would have more flexible hours and work better with the family i have
Typical Oilfield/industrial
Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB9 May 2017
mostly unorganized, massive hires and layoffs, cut rates, un motivated crews
few decent managers/foreman
no job security
wont pay for safety training
poor place to work
Electrician (Industrial) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 May 2017
terrible management, mass hires and layoffs. If youre looking to make a quick buck this is the place to work, if youre looking for longevity and organization this is not the place for you
Poor management culture in engineering group
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 February 2017
No planning ahead of time and everything had to be done yesterday
They have high expectations from you and you don't get any appreciation.
Every once in a while someone needs to remind the manager that this is not a classroom and you are not the teacher! really poor management culture...
In the engineering department I haven't seen anyone satisfied, everyone sticks around just because economy is down and there are not many opportunities out there.

However, I had good co-workers and friendly team members in our department (except the manager) and other departments.

The worst aspect of the job for an educated engineer is that you don't learn much ENGINEERING, you will learn however how things are assembled in a real shop and how things are run down in the chain...
Pros
fair job security
Cons
low pay, poor management, not the best place to learn
Big mod yard, lots of hours
Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 January 2017
The tarpon mod yard is a fast pace, high activity electrical yard. You can learn a lot due to the different types of buildings being built. Usual daily tasks include, fabricating strut, building tray, bending conduit, pulling wire, moving and installing MCC and switchgear and overall wiring and terminating gear.
Good company to begin an apprenticeship
Instrumentation Technician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Hinton, AB20 December 2016
Typical day at work involves driving to site, assessing the job. Getting everything ready and conducting safety permits. Out in the boonies so its quite nice. Conducting the work for the rest of the day with good spaced out breaks and lunch. Finish up and drive home!
Pros
Great energy, good team, overall goals are good!
not a bad place to work
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 December 2016
was the first industrial company that i worked for and enjoyed my time here. would definitely go back! close to home as well

Want to know more about Tarpon Energy Services?

Ask a question
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 November 2016
I really liked working there. From my interview till the day i left all was very good. The day went well and the money and benefits were great. And the workers and managment listen very well to each other.
Pros
Thoughtful of employees
Cons
Cant think of any
Good work standard and treated well as a worker
Lead hand Electrician (Former Employee) –  7020 81 street Southeast7 October 2016
I met lots of very nice people working here and enjoyed 3 years with this company. The work standards were high and I learned a lot from both management and other electricians
Pros
Job security
Cons
Not as much room to get promoted as i hoped
An OK company
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 September 2016
5/10
work days were sometimes slow or overly busy, poorly managed man power made some mediocre task take much longer than needed. The benefit was the experience gained, the mod yard was good place to get exposure to industrial gear and various equipment.
Management is why I left. My coworkers and direct managers were great and the job culture was there. The hardest part of my job was interacting with upper management and having no work to do.
The most enjoyable part of the job was some of the unique challenges that the type of construction posed, opportunity to work with some skilled and experienced workers.
Pros
safe work procedures, good compensation
Cons
poorly regarded as a worker
Tarpon was a very layed back employer, with a great office staff.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Taber, AB26 May 2016
I was in Taber for only three years and was hired as an Administrative Assistant for an Electrical and Instrumentation Company.

Because of my diverse skill set, I was able to assist with many computer issues as well as help build spreadsheets.
Pros
Tarpon was a fun place to work, we got along really well.
Cons
Once a year we conducted our inventory, that could take up to a week to enter counts.
Where you learn how to not treat PEOPLE
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 April 2016
foremans and supers are a joke who cannot communicate, threaten your job security at every opportunity and just all around bad people.
Some of the lead hands were alright but there certaintly were exceptions to that. surprised the company is still doing business. Businesses that embrace people as their greatest asset and reward and treat them well often succeed, and as you can see they have not and they lost the best of the core of their CS division to another company who is now getting lots of work and contracts, also they cannot get a single job in their mod yard it seems. I guess what goes around comes around.
Worst electrical contractor in North America
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2016
I have worked for many companies in several provinces in Canada and Tarpon are without a doubt the worst of the lot. Management and supervision are completely incompetent and many of them have no idea how to run a job or deal with co-workers.
There was daily threats from management to fire workers for staying a minute or two extra on coffee breaks, making minor mistakes in work, taking phone out of pocket while working etc. Career apprentices were given free reign to do as little as they wanted while giving orders to far more experienced workers. There was a large turnover of workers as many of the better guys quit them for better opportunities elsewhere.
And there was a very poor safety culture. Rarely saw the safety officer on site at all.
Pros
The office girls were friendly and good at their jobs.
Cons
Incompetent staff, regular threats to be fired, poor salary and no benefits, poor safety culture.
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2016
This company was going through lots of changes when I was there. Was bought up by another company and at the same time thing started to slow down so it was a little crazy. But the people are nice and helpful.
Great management team
Construction General Foreman (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2015
Tarpon is a fast growing company with great management and leaders. There's room to advance in your career and people are respected for their workmanship.
nice and bise place
Apprentice-electrician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 November 2015
Not bed, I just working 2 month,
Supportive management,
long hours, around 12,
4 days on and 4 days off,
but......short term
Productive - and interesting culture can do adittude
Project Management (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 June 2015
Tarpon is a PTW company - and is going through management changes and struggles which is not uncommon.

Work environment was very good, however workload weekend as the sector changed to 60 $ oil.
Pros
people are good
Cons
software issues

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tarpon Energy Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Tarpon Energy Services Reviews by Location