Target Employee Reviews

Difficult place to work once Liquidation came. Lost Job at the end.
Electronic's Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON1 November 2015
Working at Target was Difficult. When we got our new Manager, he was a jerk and he didn't like the fact that I just finished high school and was promoted to a Electronics Team Leader. so he treated me very poorly. Liquidation then came and everything broke loose. everyone was upset and everyone was tired of getting yelled at by customers. honestly, we all wanted it to end at that point. be everything before that was fun to work at! enjoyed the team culture and meeting new people who made a big difference in my life! As much as I liked working there, i was quite happy to get my package and leave.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Liquidation and Loss of Job
It was okay
Flow Team Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 December 2015
I worked mornings, which was perfect for my schedule. I was very displeased with management, however, as they would schedule my team for four hours each shift, while expecting us to stay for eight, and come in on days that weren't scheduled at last-minute notice (sometimes 20-40 minutes before the start of a shift).
Productive and fun workplace
Brand Merchandiser and Sales Floor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, Ontario6 August 2014
A typical day at work is mostly routine, with the occasional mix up and add in to your schedule. I've definitely learnt to multi-task more effectively, and work in a fast paced environment when needed.
I've learnt and developed skills I've never had before, such as leadership, and solidified team work skills.
The work environment is great, with amazing co-workers that have the same interests, and common work goals. Easy to relate to, and are all fast, fun, friendly, which makes work enjoyable.
Hardest part of the job is finding a balance between the various tasks you may have to do, and prioritizing what is of the most importance, both to you, as well as to what management thinks/ agrees upon.
However, the employees, and even management try to enforce an open door culture and a fast, fun, friendly environment that does not let employees dread going to work, but rather, something they are excited about.
Pros
Employee Events, Contests, Fast, Fun, Friendly Culture
Cons
Long Hours, Over working
Love target!!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON8 March 2016
Best place ever !! Love the staff and management. No one will treat you better ! If you have the opportunity to apply do it! You won't regret it!
Pros
Staff, management
Cons
Not in canada anymore
fun place to work
Front Checkout Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON1 October 2015
Good company culture, employees treated with respect. Good customer service.Friendly co-workers.
Hardest part of the job was to come every day knowing that the company was closing.
Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing customers happy with the service.
Pros
Fun days with free food.
Cons
Not much opportunities for advancement
Productive team work
Flow Team Member (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON23 June 2016
It was a good environment, good team work on daily basis friendly associates to work with. I enjoyed working there it was great!!
first job, not a great company to work for
Front End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 February 2016
i did cashing and sales for target, management was OK, felt like they knew they were going to close their stores in Canada. co workers were OK, not driven, not motivated. Hardest part of the job was to attend a full shift.
poorly managed
Price Accuracy - (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON6 November 2015
promotions were based on who you knew, not who could do the job best. those with actual retail experience were pushed out by insecure management that came from backgrounds with no retail experience.
poorly run
Left with a bad taste
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 June 2016
Target Canada declared bankruptcy, and laid off all there staff with no warning. Most employees found out on social media.
Pros
close to home
Cons
retail
Was fun while it lasted....
Receiving/Grocery/Cashier (Former Employee) –  East York, ON7 June 2016
Not a bad place to work, however shifts were short, and there wasn't the number of hours promised. Sorry it had to close its operations in Canada.
Cons
Short shifts, not as many as promised...
Productive, Fun and Memorable place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with such amazing people, having such amazing managers and also working for such an amazing company..
Fast, fun and friendly environment with huge focus on teamwork
Store Team Leader (Store Manager) (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON1 May 2015
The focus was on guest experience and providing an excellent experience to every person that walked into the store. The team culture was the most important aspect of the job and it started from hiring the right team and building that team to be successful.
Pros
Great team culture, Advancement opportunities
Professional environment
Pharmacist Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 April 2016
It was a very professional environment and I learned something new everyday. My co-workers were very friendly and I enjoyed working with them. My manager was always willing to help and was very approachable.
Pros
I got to work with professionals
Fantastic job culture, management could of been better
Sales (Former Employee) –  Mississauga27 May 2015
The management at target was disorganized, often orders from leaders would conflict with each other (i.e clean an area... 5 mins later a different leader would tell you to leave it for the end of the night). The co-workers were superb as Target created a culture where it was always about one team, one dream. The hardest part of the job but the most enjoyable part as well, would be the Target Guests as you would have those certain bad ones but also the really good ones. (Guests is the term Target used for Customers)
Pros
free 30 min breaks
Cons
non flexible in swap shifts
Uncertain schedules and random shifts
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON18 January 2016
Enjoyed working in Target. It has a great cultures of working environment. However it had a random shifts and less hour per week which wasn't enough to survive.
Pros
Permanent full time
Cons
random shifts and less hours
poor hours. no commitment to employees only to customers, little job security, no communication, poor work/life balance
Back stock room attendant and receiver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 July 2013
With open availability, the company give poor hours. Given the (run of the house) hours (the shifts no one wants). Every single day I have different hours (no two days are the same shift). Working evenings and weekends, with very random day shifts, sometimes only 6-8 hours off between shifts.

Little job security with several job cuts and hours being cut substantially. Didn't have access to emails for a month and missed some paperwork for benefits - they told me tough luck.

they do help motivate employees to do better, but overall, expectations are unrealistic and difficult to finish duties. Most days there are only one or two people in each department.

expected to do the work of three or more people with no extra compensation. Often no communication between management and employees and fellow management. (every manager tells you to do something different)
Pros
occasionally given some food and treats.
Cons
lots of work, not enough people. high expectations with little or no help. poor pay.
A good company with decent compensation and benefits.
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  NIagara Falls ON27 January 2015
A good company to work for, decent compensation, and shift bonuses. The management was helpful and friendly, internal postings for career advancement. My co-workers were pretty much all okay. Driving to and from work was the most difficult part of the job. I enjoyed the work, primarily because I could set my own pace and was encouraged to problem solve any difficulties that may have come up while completing orders.
Productive, fast paced, enjoyable workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON6 December 2015
Target Canada was an incredible place to work. If it were still around I would highly recommend it to anybody searching for a job for many reasons. One of those reasons is the family aspect that is encouraged. Working there was like one big family and by embracing that mentality we were able to be highly productive and work hard in order to get tasks done in a timely, efficient manner.
Enjoyed the experience until the end
Flow team member (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC8 January 2016
Its was a disappointment when they closed us down. I was invited to learn every aspect of retail dealings as well as behind the scenes management to some extremes
Pros
Lots of free lunches but I don't eat on the job
Cons
I worked when they asked me to
friendly environment
Sales Representative / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON9 May 2016
I definitely enjoyed working for Target. It was an unforgettable experience. I learned a lot working here and there was always a friendly environment.