Target Employee Reviews

Poor work environment
Electronics Team Member (Former Employee) –  Fergus, ON11 September 2016
Though I had a lot of great coworkers that became fast friends from working there. Very little good to say about the actual employment there in general.
Store Mgr not professional. Negative (fake) environment/culture
ETL (Former Employee) –  ancaster8 December 2014
As ETL (Executive Team Leader) witnessed first hand the culture and motivation of Target Canada. Its no surprise that the canadian locations are failing miserably as the American culture Target has driven into the staff is not "fitting." This starts within the store at the Store Manager position but is easily seen in the DM, the Resources (from out of store) and the drone HR dept.
THE BIGGEST MISCONCEPTION is WORK/LIFE BALANCE. On the surface the company promotes work life balance but does not execute this theory into practice. In fact its quite the opposite that TARGET canada delivers the message. If you are not devoted to 60 hour work weeks then you are not going to be successful. The higher ups are not a resource. They bring in a passive aggressive style to make things even more cloudy for someone who is trying to do their best in this environment. If your manager's name is Hala better off to avoid this place unless you like be treated as an inferior.
Pros
salary
Cons
fake culture, no work life balance, store mgr
Fun in the beginning
Sales Associate /Cashier (Former Employee) –  North York, ON21 March 2016
Great place to work at to when i was looking to increase my skills of customer service and retail, but slowly changed and management started to shift away from the family ideals and move toward treating everyone as subordinates.
Fast Fun Friendly place of work
Executive Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Edmonton , AB29 January 2015
HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATION
 Part of the Leadership Team of 2 successfully opened Target stores in Alberta.
 Strong cognitive skills, including problem analysis, decision making, financial and quantitative analysis.
 Driven up to $20 million in sales by overseeing the guest service and merchandising of departments.
 10+ years of managerial work experience in Hospitality and Retail industries.
 Proven record of advancement due to organization skills and excellent customer service.
 Demonstrated ability to generate clientele loyalty through creative and innovative sales programs.
 Experience with various Retail and Hotel computerized systems that include Point-of-Sales, Inventory, Logistics, Customer Relationship Management applications and various Desktop applications including MS OFFICE and MS OUTLOOK.
Pros
Bonus, RRSP, Work life balance
Cons
Its closing down
Good place to work but short lived
Presentation Team Member (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 January 2015
I loved working here for almost 2 years but the company has decided that its to much of a loss in Canada to be here anymore.
The family style culture was a really nice change and the open door concept that the executives and store team leader had really made it a nice management to work under.
The management over all was good aside from a few egomaniacs. Its was very set out what we did on a daily bases with added things here and there to help out with store process.
The other team members were very easy to get along with and very helpful.
The whole jobs was a learning experience seeing as a was hairdresser for 5 year prior, I learned about plan-o-grams, pricing and labeling, backroom logistics and honed my guest experience abilities.
Pros
the company was very focused on looking after us and the guests
Cons
It was taking a long time to be ready for advancement
Great training , supportive and friendly culture
Executive Team Leader-Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Edmonton8 September 2015
Target provided a great environment to learn. The management was supportive. It was great to work in a team focussed store and the recognition culture was remarkable.
Pros
team focussed and culture
Cons
sometimes long hours
Awesome team, great job.
Backroom/Flow (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS16 December 2015
worked there from day one, until it closed. Truly the best Job I ever had. If they returned to Canada I would go back asap.

The box tells me to say more but I have no idea where to start. Good people, good work, got to help people find what they wanted, and made sure they would not buy something that was expensive and useless to them, like keurig 2.0 needing specific kcups, or people who have never owned an apple product and convincing them that the cheaper android version was better for them, and more reliable.
Pros
Way too much to list
Cons
Fired 17, 000 people and left Canada, favorites were played.
So sad its gone
Service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC23 March 2016
This was by far the best place i have ever worked at, full benefits, good hours, good teamwork, great employees all around from all the levels, so much respect towards one another, this job is truly missed!
Productive and great environment of people
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 May 2016
I worked as sales at the athletic center of Target. Where daily activities would include helping out customers find the items they need.
Working here has helped me learn a lot on how to handle specific situations. Where the customer may have a short temper or strong opinions on certain things. This improved both my communications skills and being able to handle situations being on the spot
Awesome place to work, with really driven people
Cashier/ Cart Attendant (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON1 December 2015
I started at Target Canada when they first attempted to move into the Canadian market, I worked there until I was laid off when it was announced that stores would be closing. During the period of a year and 10 months where I was employed by Target Canada I was taught many skills such as proper use of item pda for store item stocking, proficient use of point of sale machine, as well as a cart mover for collecting shopping carts from the parking lot.
Pros
Awesome people, decent salary, and occasional free lunches.
Cons
Understaffed on some occasions, forced into multiple roles and responsibilities during a shift
It was a fun place to work. Lots of awesome people.
Cashier/returns, Truck unloader (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC30 June 2016
Target was a pretty good place to work, I was working on the truck unloading in the morning and set up of the departments. Everyone was nice and helpful if I needed something and training was straight forward.
Good pay
Merchandise flow team member (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 January 2016
The job was not described to us very well due to lack of timing we just had start off right away since Christmas was close and we had to deliver good customer service and fill the shelves on the floor and make store presentable to customers. The management was having hard time too with keeping up with the sales and by the end of the year we managed $1 million sales in the month of Christmas.
Sometimes fun place to work that suffered from some management issues.
Stockroom Worker (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON26 June 2015
Target was a relatively decent place to work. I learned a lot from there and genuinely enjoyed the people I worked with. The job itself wasn't very difficult but it was just hard enough to keep me from getting bored. Where the company suffered, however, was in it's management of staff. Several of the supervisors had a "do as I say, not as I do" policy of teaching and made many decision that didn't seem to be based in logic. That's not to say that all the higher ups were bad people. Many of them were great workers and viewed their teams as co-workers, rather than subordinates. People like them were great to work with and taught me quite a bit.
Pros
Great work place culture.
Cons
Several bad supervisors.
Low wage, no guaranteed hours, wacky management
Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON26 January 2015
Coworkers were the only thing that made this job fun. There really is a sense of culture and family at Target. I miss my coworkers dearly, but not Team Leaders or ETLs. They tended to micromanage, worrying about if someone's pants were the right shade of khaki, or if their shirt is burgundy not red.

Minimum wage, never any raises or benefits for sales floor employees. I would get 38 hours weekly, not 40, to avoid paying me benefits. They would only schedule me one shift per week, and call me in daily for the other days.
Pros
Team spirit, occasional free snacks or lunch
Cons
Disorganized, no job security, no benefits
Great Team Culture
Executive Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2015
Super work life balance ,well treated by upper management team leaders. Plenty of room to grow all the way from Team Member to leaders and lots of recognition for members doing their job. One of the most enjoyable part of the Job was that it was my second family.
Pros
Work life Balance
Cons
Closed Canada early, should have given it some more time
Great Team Environment. It's too bad the company wasn't able to succeed in Canada.
Cash Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 February 2016
Great team of cashiers and management staff. Everyone was very helpful and the work environment was friendly and family oriented.
Good overall workplace
Cashier and Flow Team Member (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC22 April 2015
Target had a good team culture that promoted safety and stability. The wages were fair but the pay promotions were small. Management was attentive and happy to help. Coworkers were close-nit and very supportive. I enjoyed having the ability to assist other departments and have the ability to cross-train. However morning truck unloads often were stressful and an absent tam member could easily leave us understaffed.
Pros
Very good amount of breaks
Cons
Quiet evenings
Family orientated
Store Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 November 2015
looks out for each other
always has fun working
great people
little supervision
always gives praises
has discounts
great customer values
great area very accessible by public transportation
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2015
fun work place with supportive management and great discount. I enjoyed working with the great staff as they we always willing to lend a hand when needed.
Pros
easy work system
Cons
A great company who invests in and takes care of its team members.
Back Room -Instock Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB22 January 2015
A typical day at work was to assign team members their duties and the stores expectations for the day and any communication that needed to be shared with the team. Check emails and status with my leader. Assist the team as necessary. Continuous follow up throughout the day with the team to ensure expectations are understood and deadlines will be met.

I learned more about leadership. I obtained skills in a warehouse setting that I had had no exposure to before.
Management was supportive and engaging and promoted a strong team culture in the store.
My coworkers were fantastic. Everyone there was supportive and made you feel like we were one big family.
Hardest part of my job is having to say goodbye to a great team and company.
Most enjoyable part was coming to work everyday and seeing the smiling faces and warm reception of my team mates as well as their willingness to support the individual and the team.
Pros
Team culture, wage, work life balance, fast fun and friendly events held daily
Cons
Early mornings