Target

Target Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
False Promises and terrible management
Cashier (Current Employee), Welland, OntarioDecember 2, 2013
Pros: few: some good people, on top of breaks
Cons: lots: highshcool drama, bad management, poor management choices, breach of worker laws with no repercussions, unfair hr distribution, favouritism, more... lots more
Loved working here at first, then it slowly got bad... really bad to a point where it is now #2 on my list of worst jobs ever, and ive worked on farm shovelling manure, roofing in the summer, landscaping... this tops it. It was grade 9 all over again people spreading bogus rumours and gossip of people personal business that isnt needed at work.

Heres a perfect example of how poor there choices in promotion is, i have past manager experience and know how to run a crew properly, i was good at guest services desk and angry customers always have been, i applied for the new GSTL (Guest Service Team Leader) position and was over passed for a ditzy girl who couldnt manage a break schedule properly never mind a whole crew off cashiers, dont get me wrong she was a nice girl but not TL material, she one more then one occasion sent almost all the cashiers on break at mid day rush leaving everyone short and backroom people (who were not trained on the registers) to do cash.

Same situations when it comes to hours; i gave full availability 7-12 and shifts past those hrs by request, a fellow co worker who lived beside a TL and was all buddy buddy with her, had only 9-1030 cause she didnt like waking up early or getting home to late (she also always consistently complained about not getting enough hours which she averaged 23, great in target terms infront of majority people who were getting 13) she got 23-33 hrs a week and had no bills and lived at home, were as im struggling to pay my rent and have a maxed out card due to my insurance and gas for a 3.5 hr shift. Everytime you asked for hrs – more... you be assured there trying there best to help you get more, then youd get 3-6 extra the next week but a person from a completely different department (Brand for ex) would get 22. They also said everyone would get hrs in other departments to compensate for slow times, absentees, more hr requests.... never once was i given a cross shift while others who Kissed .... rear... (choice word) would get 35 hrs a week and id be struggling with 16 that week.

They pretended to care about you and played it well, i caught on after a while, i have a pre-existing injury from the Army, i shattered my ankle which results in me having 2 lower back spasms; Well i was put at self checkouts after a while for months on end never once (even after requesting to go back up front) was put on regular cash for sometimes up to 6 wks, well were not allowed to sit at all on our 8 hr shifts or any for that matter, fair, but with them full well knowing about my medical issue i rested my back against a garbage disposal for all of 3 seconds to get the pressure off for even a second and someone (employee, who was buddy buddy with a TL) ran to big brother and brought it up on the security cameras, needless to say i got ripped a new one and in front of customers partly aswell. not only did i feel embarrassed a bit but was now angered that i was getting in trouble for a medical issue.. another time i forgot to put my phone in a locker ONCE and took it out to tell and elderly lady the time and was threatened with "termination" ..... where as other employees who are close with TL's have literally been no call no shows for 2 straight weeks and still got hrs on the sched.

after 6-8 months of the garbage i put up with I found a Manager Position with a different company which treats me very well. but knowing alot of the co workers and having such a good group that wasnt about drama i wanted to stay atleast 5-15 hrs a week not to mention its christmas season so i didnt want to leave them hanging, so i tried to be flexible and help them by saying ill take the night shifts no one wants, just dont schedule on the weekends, ..... they scheduled me 5.5 hrs on a sunday ...... on purpose, i did the proper process for filling a time availability sheet and they still decided to play immature games and sched me when i specifically said not to.

They also under appreciate there best employees, some of the nicest people ive ever worked with who are in there 60 and need a income and this employee in specific was one of the nicest and best employees there, knew the store inside and out.. majority of the time id radio her to find the harder known items in the store... well they dangled hrs in front of her just to take them away and at times give her enough that it wasnt enough for benefits... absolutely disgusting

now for the good. i rather did enjoy some employees... me being in my early to mid 20's i got along with the middle aged co workers very well there. i got along with a small group of us who just tried to ignore the rumours and gossip and drama that was ever present. they did let my shift swap alot which help the hrs if only minimally and temporarily. they were very good for breaks, even though one time i missed a 15 mins cause i was helping an elderly person and got yelled at..

Inconclusion terrible company to work for unless you know a TL very well, shame really i liked the environment and people in the beginning – less
An experience like no other
Assets Protection - Support Services Specialist (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: volunteerism, good work enviroment, work / life balance
Cons: flawed career development planning, constant red tape
I started with Target previous to any stores being open, freight flowing and any trailers being in the yards of our DC's.

As someone that has great passion for logistics and the strategy, the people and problem solving behind it, opening Targets operations into Canada was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Seeing a massive supply chain stretching across the country rise up over a matter of months was exciting to be part of.

I had the chance to personally inspect hundreds of new trailers, schedule, plan and optimize back hauls and create processes that would be implemented country wide by store team members, fellow logistics staff, carriers and our third parties.

The main part of my role as a Logistics Coordinator was to coordinate freight movement between our 3 DC's, 133 stores and numerous back haul vendors. This was accomplished through direct partnership and constant communication with our 4 assigned carriers, DC staff and store team members.

Upon my promotion into the role of Support Services Specialist I shifted to being the lead point of contact for all of Canada's field AP (Loss Prevention) leadership. My main role was to ensure that our Investigators and store AP teams had access to the technology and accurate processes that they required. I also acted as a primary contact for Law Enforcement should they require access to private information or video as part of an investigation.

The added bonus of working at Target was the importance placed upon volunteerism and philanthropy. I participated in numerous food drives, blood banks and awareness campaigns. I also got – more... to assist several organizations hands on by landscaping care centres, unloading donation trucks, sorting Christmas toys and making breakfast for under privileged kids. – less
Overall, a really fun and great place to work. It was sad to have to leave in the end.
Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee), Orillia, ONOctober 17, 2015
Pros: Great Work Atmosphere, Flexible Hours, Understanding Management
Cons: Difficult to Address Issues at Times, Never Any Product that was Needed, Bankruptcy
Working at Target was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I was in school at the time which made it difficult but my supervisors were extremely helpful in making sure that I kept up with my schooling and also received enough hours to pay for living. I was a Sales Floor Team Member which means I was responsible for stocking shelves, making sure everything looked presentable for guests, and helping said guests with any problem they had that related to our store. I was also responsible for covering the electronics section when the team member would step off the floor for their break. This means there was a lot that needed to be learned in case someone had a question and watching over the keys that unlocked the cases to the high price items was very important. The hardest part of the job was making sure that guests were always happy. Sometimes it was easy to help out a guest but a lot of the time it was difficult. Some people would be angry or frustrated and it's difficult to keep that from effecting how you interact with the team members. A lot of us were yelled at and called names and it was difficult to not take it personally, but eventually, you learn to shrug it off. A lot of it came from being up as a cashier, which I also did from time to time. What I learned though is that everyone has a story. The man who came in looking for tampons may be buying them for his embarrassed daughter, so don't laugh. The woman who was frustrated and took her anger out on you because you were out of her type of shampoo may have just had a really long day at work and really – more... just wants to go home and have a nice, long bath, so don't take it personally. And even your fellow team members have a story, but no matter what it is, you must all look out for each other. – less
A Fast Growing Department Store Franchise in North America
Flow Merchandiser/Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 12, 2014
Pros: occassional free lunch, always recognizing team effort, great work benefits
Cons: not as large compared to its competitiors in canada, but is growing fast.
A company filled with great team culture, respect for environment, and humane management that constantly drives its workers to work up to their highest potential, to provide excellent customer service experience to guests.

Each day the company holds a short quick meeting, which starts by giving recognition to some of the members who revealed great guest service moments, and goes on to praise about team achievements with sales.

The company stands out among its competitors in a way that it encourages its employees to achieve the attainable goals set by managers, rather than expressing disappointments for not meeting up the expectations. This was a great learning experience for me, as now I know that people want to be encouraged rather than blamed, and want to be led than managed.

The customers are referred to as "guests", which is the greatest value of the company, and thus their priorities always come first. Depending on situations, the company offers a variety of feasible deals for guests who have reasonable complaints or feedback on products or services provided.

The company also values its employees as the greatest asset, in which unsafe practices in work environments are discouraged if they can physically harm the employeees, even if it can be unbenefitcial to the company. The company also strictly complies with its safety rules for its employees, giving immediate attention to any impolitical offence among the team members, to ensure the respectful work environment is maintained for everyone.

The hardest challenge is neither more, nor less than leaving the guests satisfied – more... and ensuring them to come back to the store, which contributes to increase in sales, eventually causing more benefits to employees and the company. It is also the most enjoyable part of the job, as there is nothing more pleasant about seeing the guests smiling when they leave. – less
Fast-Paced Workplace and Supportive Teams
Guest Service/Cashier (Former Employee), Bowmanville, ONJuly 13, 2015
Pros: Time Always Flew By
Cons: They Pulled Out of Canada
In the backroom I would start every morning by pulling product from their backroom locations and putting it on the sales floor. Once that was done I would put away the product we received in on the trucks. When working on grocery product I would constantly check for expiry dates and that it was properly organized.

On the in-stocks team I would check for discrepancies between our on-hand count for product in the system and compare it to what we actually had in the store. If the numbers were off, I would correct them.

With the fixture management team as we were closing up the store, I would keep the fixtures organized and tidy to make it easier for potential buyers. When buyers came in I would give them tours and work out pricing on the fixtures with them, set up pick up dates, phone potential buyers to give them any information they needed and occasionally carry out larger items if they were incapable of doing so. I developed better people skills while working there.

My immediate supervisors were very task driven and would jump in and work with us all the time to set an example. They were good at keeping us motivated and giving a morale boost when we needed it. They held team huddles where they would take everyone's opinion into consideration when asking how we could improve our system or daily routines.

For the most part, my co-workers were incredibly hard working and we loved our job. All of us would put a lot of effort into keeping our space in the backroom organized so we could work more efficiently.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with guests and – more... buyers when we were closing. A lot of the people who came in during our time of liquidation were very difficult to deal with. They were often unhappy, but I would do my best to rectify the situations. The most enjoyable part of my job was always knowing exactly what I needed to do and I very seldom needed to ask questions. This was the result of all the training I went through before actually starting. – less
It was fun
Logistics Team Member (Current Employee), Richmond, BCJanuary 14, 2015
Target has received very mixed reviews as it has tested the Canadian market.

I have found it to be a great company to work for however there are many things about how it is manged that I question. I do not think the store management to be a problem but the corporate management to be a problem. I think corporate has made many mistakes that has lead to Target's downfall in the Canadian market. As a current business student I think they overlooked many market research steps that could have forecasted this.

I have been at this Target location since it opened last October and overall has been a really educating experience. I have been involved with the construction of the sales floor, actually setting up the shelves and displays, until now.

Target is really effective in creating a positive employee culture.

The departments in the logistics umbrella I can say work the hardest in the store. The Merchandise Flow department I think is the largest and hardest working department in the entire store. Every truck unload is under a huge time crunch to get as much stuff done before the store opens at 8am. I know that at a place like Walmart they divide this department into two different ones, one will only take care of the truck unload and then another will take care of pushing the product to the sales floor.

I think the things that bug me about Target also echo true with all retail stores so I can not blame it all on Target's management. The structure for their entry level positions is setup in a way that promotes employee turnover and that is something that bugs me a lot. It creates – more... a two-face approach to running a company. The corporate culture is one that sounds like you are valued at the company and they want you to be there and then turn around and cut hours down to a level where anybody that has financial responsibilities or anybody that is not in high school is forced to leave and find more steady work. But like I said I don't think it is only Target that is like that but all retail stores but it is still frustrating. – less
Promised all sorts of thing and landed flat
Sales (Former Employee), LindsayOctober 16, 2013
Pros: lots of incentivatives like free food
Cons: bad mouthing and poor work ethic on tl parts that resulted in the rest of us all to suffer
I was recruited into this company to work full time hours and promised that I'd get a TL lead if I caught on to their training. Well that training never happened. Quickly realized that wasn't going to happen bc unless you are buddy buddy with management it's not going to ever happen.

Moving on from that if I were to look at it like a job, it was hostile, there were a lot of disgruntled workers complaining of course bc they didn't get hours etc but they also bad mouthed everyone behind their back. Then there were the TL who dissed the workers behind their back, wasn't a great overall good feeling going in each morning altho I did just start to focus on going in to do ''the job'' .

Team Leads were the worst, just directed and didn't take time to teach you anything like they said they would. They took the butt kissers front and center, you know the ones bringing in cookies to the mngmt.

Good work ethic resulted in good hours (where I came in) but you get dumped more and more responsibility and pushed past what is deemed what they called work life family balance. For instance I had 2 weeks to move and relocate and I was told, never going to transfer to another company unless you work the full 2 weeks. Good luck with that when you have kids and a house to buy so I left to fulfill my family obligations.

No I wouldn't work their if you paid me better, even tho the benefits were great I found it really lacked in that customer focus they strived to preach in the first cycle resulted in ''stick your head in the box -stock '' and who cares about the guests.

Shame really.
Typical Shift
Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Workplace culture, realistic expectations, accountability
Cons: Different standards throughout the team
A typical shift at the store would be a shift that ranged from 4 hours to 8 hours, normally I worked closing shifts because of my availability with school. Because I mainly worked closing shifts my main task was 'recovery' of the department (I worked in the clothing department, also referred to as softlines),

As a closing team (typically 2 softlines sales floor team members and a fitting room attendant) would be tasked to zone areas of the department (Men's, Women's, Intimates, Shoes, Boys, Girls, and NIT) normally starting with the worst and working our way through all areas of the department and if time allowed it going over each department again. This was done to ensure that the morning crew walked into a well zoned store to make it easier to put out new product from shipments.

In any given shift although tasking was important, the guest was still the number one priority, asking them if "Can help them find something?", if my store was out of a particular item offering to call another location to see if it was available.

Because guests came first most sales floor team members were cash trained so if a 1 +1 was needed (extra cashiers called up to the front check lanes), meaning some nights I would be up on cash until the rush died down and I could return to tasking.

Through my experience at Target I learned how to work with many different personalities, and different departments. I've seen my team success, but I've also seen us fall short of our goals. But somehow we still manage to function like a well oiled machine.
Moderate satisfaction
Starbucks team member (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 16, 2013
Pros: most people are nice, its a new store - very clean, no bathroom cleaning
Cons: no weekly coffee/tea, no free drinks, pastries and sandwiches come frozen, don't get free drinks, no benefits for employees that a regular starbucks gives (30% discount, tuition reimbursement, etc), dishes (makes hands dry, and prone to cuts), some unpleasant team members
- A typical day at work would be coming in, figuring out where I am needed to help, set up the store so it will be easier to finish the closing tasks, do dishes, garbages, stock, milk count/getting milk from upstairs stock room, taking out pastries for the next morning, sweep/mop, manage markout pastries and sandwiches
- I have learned that there is a more variety of people with different lives and standards
- It has recently opened so the store isn't so organized in how its run. we're often understaffed for closing, some people are quite ignorant of their assigned tasks and insists on doing only what they like doing; basically the order isn't enforced too well.
- there is a bit of a drama about talking behind people's backs. most are very considerate, open, willing to learn and work people, but some people take too much advantage of others and try to be very bossy. Also have 2 co workers who loves to single someone out.
- Love majority of people who works there - easy to get along, is open to sharing tedious/unpleasant tasks, and be considerate of others' needs.
Exciting and high-paced workplace during seasonal positions.
Cashier Associate (Former Employee), Bridgewater, NJJune 5, 2014
Pros: employee lunch area with amenities. discount perks.
Cons: temporary position.
Seasonal positions in Target requires quite a more hours, even some late shifts, however there isn't ever a dull moment. Your day begins at your shift where you're assigned a register and given a precise time to take your breaks. The days never feel long since you're almost always busy ringing out a guest with their shopping carts filled with goodies and toys for the children.

Management over in Target would be described as supportive. No matter how terrible of a day you might be having, you could count on a manager to bright it up. Co-workers had a playful and friendly vibe, creating a very friendly work environment.

The toughest part of a seasonal job can be simply put as a growing anxiety of possibly not getting a recurring position. Of course, all that fades away with the feeling of accomplishment after making a guest's day much better, which would be the highlight of the job.

It would have been nice to have had more experience at Target, however with the seasonal position, it has taught me more work/life balance skills due to the hectic hours.

This is another job I'd recommend to anyone who needs a little extra cash for the holidays and/or who just want a fast-paced job.
Friendly place to work
Receiver (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 18, 2015
A typical day at work would involve meeting the vendors that came to our back dock doors, and sign their shipments and take temp, on the food products. check for damage or expiry on all the shipments. we would get lots of DVDs and CDs in a day that i would have to check and count and put into our inventory system, then i would receive it into our system. i would have to bring the food shipments (milk, and starbucks shipments) to the coolers and or freezer depending on where it needed to go.
Keeping the backroom clean and organized, and taking pallets down from the high steel with our crown stackers.

I learned quickly how to use our Receiving system and how to use the power equipment. had to learn how to talk and deal with vendors, and have a good work place connection with them, so that they understood where things needed to be ect. good communication.

The management was very good, and helpful and was usually very clear on what needed to be done, and answered questions right away. they were very good people to work with.

my co-workers were very good workers, and i got along with most of them very well. they were very helpful and we worked well together.

The hardest part of the job was just the learning curve when i got promoted from backroom to the head receiver, just trying to figure out the processes and system, and just general keeping up with the shipments we got in. Once i got a hang of the change, it started to become a lot easier and i got it quite quickly.

the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing what my responsibilities were and having something – more... to work on the whole time. Being at work and not being constantly busy is quite boring and i do not enjoy that. – less
Productive, friendly, inclusive workplace
Flow Team Member (Former Employee), Ottawa, OntarioJune 20, 2015
Pros: Very social workplace, inclusive, friendly and easygoing
Cons: Inconsistent work hours
Target Canada, before it was shut down, was a joy to work with. The team was friendly, caring, struck a perfect balance between playing around and working, often socializing with customers and helping them as needed. Co-workers were just as friendly as managers, and were very willing to help out or casually talk during their jobs.

A typical day at work is usually very slow-paced, easygoing to both veterans and newcomers in the retail environment, talking to customers was a joy to do, especially when it came to helping them, though casual chatter with them was also fun to do.

The most enjoyable part of the job was socializing. When I spoke with customers and fellow team members, I felt like I was getting along and making new friends, as well as helping when I could. The harder part, however, was trying to help customers locate something I have not seen. As I usually worked around toys and electronics, I know nothing of sporting goods, furnishing, or health care products, which made me feel bad, but I could always direct them to a Target co-worker who knew the store better than I could.

The one thing I didn't exactly enjoy, however, was the fact that, for most of the job, hours were fairly inconsistant, and it was hard to keep on top of them, even if looking at the schedule, since I enjoy a consistant schedule instead of a constantly-changing schedule.
PLEASE FOR YOUR OWN GOOD DO NOT WORK HERE!
Cashier Team Member (Former Employee), Pickering, OntarioAugust 20, 2014
Pros: you make 10 cents more than minimum wage after 6 months of working there
Cons: everything. hours, management, unfriendly, horrible hr
I worked as a cashier team member at the pickering location. It's all great and friendly when you first start but once you start working with the TL's (your managers) it is absolutely TERRIBLE. They are rude, selfish, and are horrendous at their job. I had to report one of my TL's for literally making fun of me so much it got to the point where I had to call in sick so that he wouldn't bully me anymore and he was my MANAGER! They don't make enough money to give you hours, I wouldn't bother applying! You'll hate it and leave just like everyone else did.

They also give you 10 percent team member discount which literally nothing, and only you and your husband/wife can use it, not your mom, sister, father or child. If you're not married well you're out of luck.

A 16 year old girl who was rude and immature was in charge of all the cashiers and only got that position because one of the TL's loved her. A very known issue, if you apply and get this job, you'll hear about it sooner or later.
Target would either make you or break you
Senior Team Leader (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: recognition, cross training, open door policy, growing from within
Cons: broken supply chain, inexperienced management (hq and etl) accountability, pulled the plug too soon
Great team, great culture. Always FFF..it was a culture that we all lived and breathed. Target offered great training but not enough time for the team to practice it before they were thrown on the floor. You had to be flexible and adaptable, as Target constantly changed routines and practices. If you couldn't adapt and keep up, you would break.

This was the hardest part of the job. Not the constant changing but the fact that most of the changes were minor and would have no impact. Things that should have been done weren't implemented until 3 months before we closed. (Instant labels)

The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that the team truly believed "One Team, One Dream". We had the cream of the crop when it came to team members. Eager to learn, eager to cross train, eager to move ahead in this company.

But at the end of the day, all the hard work, all the changes and new procedures, all the Store Visits had absolutely no bearing on anything when ultimately you had a broken supply chain that was broken from Day 1 and was never fixed. The bandaid could only hold for so long and apparently that day was January 15 2015
down hill slope
Merchandising (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONMay 5, 2015
Pros: Team events, food events, ability to learn different systems of target
Cons: management, treatment, inflexability
at the beginning of target it was a fun fast paced experience being my first time in retail. I especially liked how they made you feel as a employee valued and appreciated. As time went on though the idea that you where valued became less and less apparent; as sales dipped the interactions between employee and management became bitter for those who did majority of the stock and unload posses. Hours that use to consist of almost full time came down to barely getting by and most of the original employees either found second jobs or left target entirely. I for one took the second job option but still tried to keep pushing my involvement in the company. the feeling of favoritism set in while I was continuing to work long hours at both jobs to get by; seeing many team members be able to change there hours of ability to fit around there other jobs and personally being denied the chance on quite a few occasions. going into the second year the conditions improved but it was really the team members and not the management that made the employment enjoyable. I personally would not change my decision on employment at target because of the people that I met and am still in contact with.
Amazing workplace full of enthusiastic workers and fun atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 2, 2015
Pros: fun, interesting, energetic atmosphere, great products, amazing co-workers, great management
Cons: the end of Target (when it closed)
Target was an amazing workplace full of fun and excitement, all done in a professional environment. Staff members were considered like an extended family and the overall experience was amazing, one of the best I ever had. A typical day would include friendly competition between employees based on who could sell and activate more credit cards and good vibes among other co-workers. Management was very understanding of my needs and if there were any problems, they were always ready to recommend a solution. Overall, an amazing experience. The hardest part of the job was leaving when it closed down and trying to gain new employment. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with such professional, caring and enthusiastic co-workers that made the day extra special. What I learned from Target was that everyone is given equal opportunity to learn new and great things and, it's all about how a person can use their skills to achieve greatness. All of the co-workers were great and the hours were fantastic as well. The job itself was fun too as, you get to encounter new and interesting people everyday. To conclude, my experience at Target was one of the best work experiences to this point of my life.
Fun high paced enviroment
Asset Protection Manager (Current Employee), Thunder Bay, ONMarch 4, 2015
Pros: positive team enviroment
Cons: target canada has closed all its stores
I have been successful in my current role as the driving force of promoting a prevention culture through educational awareness and collaboration with law enforcement. At Target I have been fortunate to have access to amazing resources like the National Investigation Centre, Asset Protection Business Partners, Field Investigators, and Special Investigation Units.
I have also been the lead investigator for many internal investigations that led to the restitution of thousands of dollars to Target Canada. Through my leadership role we have been able to create a preventative culture in a safe and a secure environment. This role as the Asset Protection Leader has been diverse, collecting loss and sales data, deployment of covert/cctv cameras, review of video evidence, conduct internal/ external investigations, loss mitigation, partnering with Mall Security, Thunder Bay Police and Crown Prosecutors, building successful external theft cases, promoting safety, assistant store manager and much more. I have forged strong collaborative relationships with Thunder Bay Police, public health organizations and community agencies, and the Target Asset Protection Team. I have had the opportunity over the last year to give back to my peers becoming the District Trainer for Target Video Solutions, Target Case Management report software and a lead mentor program for new Asset Protection Leaders.
Decent job, but very unorganized and terrible management!
Cashier & Team Member (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: food (sometimes) in break room, discounts (with restrictions, aka only with cash or redcard)
Cons: short shifts, unsteady hours, low pay, too high expectations.
Overall, Target was a good job. Made good friends, and essentially had a fun time working.

The management and HR were terrible. No one truly cared about the worker's well beings. If you were sick and hunched over in pain, they'd force you to come in. I got bullied for being one of the younger workers. Worst part was, the only people who truly cared, were people working way too hard for such little pay. Aka, my TL at Cash. But they both moved on to different jobs due to the fact they saw Target was not an enjoyable place. The atmosphere was always so negative and I dreaded going into work. I felt verbally abused, and also mentally because of how they overworked us. One time they also did not give me my mandated break, and I tried to bring it up to HR and they did not care. They said it was because I was the youngest, they "did not have the time to deal with it."

Then they wonder why the company went downhill after how terrible they treated their employees.
High Energy, Fast Paced, Great team
Presentation Team Leader (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 5, 2015
Pros: Great team, Great Team Leaders. Store took care of its staff by offering FFF days, they'd provide us with snacks, food, drinks and movies to watch in our lunch room.
Cons: Target entered Canada too quickly and the result speaks for itself, they were not profitable and 17, 000 people lost their job.
A typical day was completing planograms anywhere in the store. One week you could be in Ladies Wear, the next week your in Toys so it pays to plan your workload and talk to other Team Leaders so they know in advance that you will be entering their department, they may be able to provide help or guidance if necessary.

I learned that planning, organization and communication are vital for store like Target and how the departments were broken down. It's been the only retail environment that i have worked in where a Team Leader was in charge of 1 disclipine. For example, there was an Instock, Signing, Flow, Backstock Team Leader in most jobs I've had all that was assigned to 1 person. So communication amongst everyone was important to ensure that all of us knew the plans of the other.
Educational, Fun and Happy workplace
Cashier, Softlines & Customer Service (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: close to home, decent hours, fun work environment, respecting my availability
Cons: not having a consistent shift time everyday, not getting full time hours
Working at Target involves me to be alert at all times during my shift. Developing this skill was very beneficial. This is mainly because there is people who need answers to questions regarding products, people who need to be directed into different parts of the stores, and also being able to handle people who try to shoplift in a professional and calm manner.
While working at Target, I have learned and expanded a lot with the current skills I have. Not only have I further developed my communication skills, but I have also gained the ability to handle high risk situations and further develop my experience with clothes. Although working at Target has been very beneficial, the hardest part of working here was having to adapt to a new work environment and get used to working with a bigger team and it's team members. It was very difficult at first however, over time I grew close to my team and learned how to thrive in my environment despite the challenges I faced. In conclusion, despite many hardships, learning all these new skills, deepening the current skills I have, and getting close to my co- team members is the best part of my job. I look forward every shift going into work mainly because there is something new each time.
Headquarters