Tangerine

Tangerine Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Tangerine is a dynamic company
Savings Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 8, 2015
Pros: Daily fresh fruit, lounge area with ping pong tables
Cons: Salary is low and incentive pay is low
My typical day at work would be to answer in bound calls for clients seeking transactions or financial advice for their Tangerine accounts. I have learned at Tangerine that I am able to acquire new skills and provide excellent customer service for our clients. My colleagues are very talented and creative people. The hardest part of the job is to not be able to provide a service or product that Tangeirne currently does not have. The most enjoyable part of my job is to be able to educate clients on how to save their money.
No longer has the Orange Spirit
N/A (Current Employee), North York, ONFebruary 26, 2015
As ING Direct, the management was amazing. Management were people builders and pushed their employees to excel. Everyday workers lived, breath, work, play and enjoy their environment all in the name Orange Spirit. Now that Scotia Bank has taken over, there has been a serious shift in the culture throughout the company. Tangerine now stands in the shadows of Scotia Bank.

I still enjoy working with my co-workers who remain from the original ING DIRECT employees who maintain the Orange Spirit. They all make my day go by much better.

I have learned so much from the formally known as ING DIRECT. I have learned how to be a people builder. I have learned how to positively motivate others. I have learned how to analyze situations from higher levels and lower levels to come to a educated decision. I would call this company the "University of Customer Service".
Horrible management
IT (Former Employee), TorontoFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: maybe free orange cup - hahaha!!
Cons: horrible place to work
I completely agree with the review about Terrible management in this horrid place. I've worked for many organizations and never had i seen such a terrible management. They don't know how to manage. They probably only got the role because it's a small organizations and somehow they were the last man/woman standing to get the promotion. The management here is in no way qualified to be a manager elsewhere. There's no sense of team in this place. Different teams make each other look bad just to save their own reputation with their own superiors. They also all talk bad behind each other's back. If you have options, take the other option. You're wasting your time at this place, it won't get you anywhere except working long hours and absolutely no overtime pay.
great place
Saving Associate (Former Employee), Toronto onFebruary 15, 2015
As mentioned before a great place to work but its a growing company and still has a lot to improve. When it come to their employess they have to listen to them and try to improve the place.
Terrible management, never-ending work, no morale
IT (Former Employee), TorontoJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: you might get a free stainless steel water bottle at some point.
Cons: everything imaginable
The only good thing about Tangerine was their culture, whatever that means anymore. All employees are now disgruntled that all of their counter-parts are leaving for jobs where companies treat them like actual human beings.

Specifically in IT, a typical day 8-4 was a non-stop, no break, work through your lunch, work large amounts of OT kind of day. Was pulling 60-80h a week and it came with absolutely no appreciation.

If you had personal engagements to attend after your already 8h shift (ie. go home to your family), you would be told that your work comes first and that you need to stay to finish whatever and then you MAY go home to your family when it's acceptable for your super/manager.

Projects were by the plenty and when the projects were assigned, they were already due 5 months ago. Once a project finished, the mentality was not to congratulate you on completing it, but to ask you to continue onto another one that was due 3 months ago. Timelines were extremely aggressive and never-ending.

Management was dog-eat-dog. A lot of the IT managers did not get along and tried competing against each other for respect from THEIR superiors, office morale at its absolutely LOW and it's not getting any better by any means.

If you like to be constantly reminded that your job was on the line because you arent loyal enough, then this job is for you. It was a very negative work environment. The only thing that made it fun were normal non-management employees who stuck together and trained through this soul-sucking workplace.

Having any IT certifications for non-networking positions – more... at Tangerine was frowned upon because those managers dont believe in schooling as a proper form of knowledge. They want experienced employees that know the practical work. If you ask about being sent for IT courses to receive a cert, expect to be denied because they feel it is useless and they FEAR that the only reason you get the cert is to leave and find a better job.

Lots of IT have quit, been let go, restructured, etc. It is no better in the rest of the company either from what I am hearing.

The pay is dismal. They do not compensate their employees well. The health benefits are expensive and you get barely any coverage.
Everyone that leaves finds something better that pays at least 25% more because Tangerine has very poor competitive pay rates. They do not comply at all with current job scales of IT positions.

IT contractors are payed almost 30-40% more than real hard-working employees who do 50% more work and are expected to out-perform contractors.

Forget about advancing or moving up in this company. If your Super/Team Lead isnt leaving to another team or job, you arent moving. It is a very very short ladder up to the CIO so expect to be stuck in your same mindless/soul-less position for years.

Tangerine IT is mainly used now as a stepping stone to get you better IT jobs elsewhere..

The only good thing I can say about Tangerine is because of their aggressive timelines and project implementations, they do have some of the latest and greatest technology running the bank. All computers are new and fast (i5/i7), laptops are top-of-the-line with SSDs, operating systems are up to date (No more XP, lots of people on Win 7, even Win 8.1), mostly all servers are Server 2012 with extremely fast networking switches and state-of-the-art infrastructure... Of course this all comes at the expense of draining out their employees of all of their life and bleeding their souls dry because every project implemented is to upgrade the one you just completed.

If you want to work in a very up-to-date IT environment with not as much ancient applications and infrastructure, Tangerine is the place for you, but it comes with a price, your soul. – less
Watch it - They've been bought by Scotiabank
Marketing Department (Former Employee), SteelesTechAugust 18, 2014
Pros: plenty of cheap parking. cafeteria.
Cons: marketing vps & directors are jerks. location is not easy by ttc
Before I left the marketing dept., employee engagement was rated at an all-time low. VPs, Directors and managers are trying to cover their butts to justify their jobs to Scotiabank owners. I found my inline bosses untrustworthy and disloyal. As a whole, my colleagues were nice; however, they're under big pressure too! As far as I'm aware, many employees are trying to get out of there!

Location at Steeles Ave. East and Hwy 404 is inconvenient. Luckily there is a cafeteria on premises. I would not work there again! If you're desperate for a job in the middle of nowhere - take it, even though the compensation may not be top notch. Overall, use a job here as a transition spot until something better comes along - likewise, your bosses will be also using you until you're no longer convenient to serve their needs.
Fun place to work!
Sales & Service Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 19, 2014
-Managing a team of 20 inbound associates
-Most enjoyable part of the job is working with individuals development plans and executing
-Great culture all departments have an open door policy