Talisman Centre, the largest multi-sport complex of its kind in Canada, offers a unique, rewarding and inspiring work environment in Calgary’s downtown. Not many workplaces allow you to work alongside athletes from all walks of life including recreational, high performance and Olympians. It doesn’t get much more motivating that that!
As a key member of the Human Resources department, the Human Resource Advisor will be responsible for supporting their assigned client groups and consulting on a comprehensive range of Human Resource functions.
Reports to: Human Resource Director
What’s In It for You:
- An exciting & challenging 6 month term position providing coverage for a maternity leave, but could be extended depending on future circumstances and performance
- Work Schedule: 40 hours per week with flexible starting and ending times
- Free facility membership plus access to a variety of free and discounted programs & services
- Flexible & comprehensive benefits package including extended health, dental, short & long term disability, health spending account & RRSP matching program
- Professional development assistance and annual staff events such as corporate challenge, staff parties etc.
- Free parking and close to C-train!
What You’ll Do:
- Within your assigned client groups, consult with all frontline employees and people leaders on a variety of HR issues such as: recruiting, employee relations, benefits and compensation, learning & development, career development, succession planning and performance management.
- Participate in regular weekly/monthly meetings with assigned client group Team Leaders & Managers to stay current with their business units & provide HR support and direction into upcoming initiatives
- Provide information and advice to employees and managers on interpretation of policies and programs.
- Remain current on provincial employment standards legislation.
- Recommend changes to, or introduction of policies, procedures or programs to Human Resources Director on HR policies / practices and competitive practices.
- Assist with the research, planning and execution of various HR initiatives which includes coordination and tracking of a variety of HR metrics and paperwork to maintain processes
- Participate in special projects as assigned.
Recruitment & Selection
- Provide information, advice, direction and support to people leaders regarding recruiting issues and procedures.
- Develop and coordinate internal / external recruiting advertisements and liaise with external advertising sources on job posting items.
- Organize and participate on interview panels, assist with pre-screening and reference checks and ensure preparation of employment offers are conducted in a timely manner.
- Prepare offer letters, welcome packages and personnel files.
- Plan and conduct employee orientation sessions.
Compensation & Benefits
- Provide advice to people leaders on starting salaries, annual merit and promotional increases using Talisman Centre pay guidelines.
- Assist with the preparation and up-dating of job descriptions in conjunction with organization standards.
- Handle disability files, including liaising with carrier disability specialists, employees and people leaders on on-going claims, facilitating return-to work programs and monitoring potential LTD claims.
- Administer compensation surveys.
- Administer Employee Recognition Program, including validation process, distributing award points and award communication.
- Assist team leaders and managers with annual goal setting process for staff bonus program
Employee Relations and Performance Management
- Ensure compliance with Talisman Centre’s code of conduct, employment legislation and company human resources policies.
- Investigate any contentious or harassment issues and handles in accordance to Company policies and practices.
- Handle all legal employment issues in conjunction with the Human Resources Director.
- Guide and coach managers on the performance management program (probationary and annual reviews), performance problem management; make suggestions for progressive discipline measures and termination processes.
- Provide paperwork and act as HR representative in all termination meetings.
Learning & Development
- Assist HR Director with identifying training needs in conjunction with people leaders and recommend solutions and courses offered internally and by external sources.
- Facilitate training sessions/programs/lunch and learns.
- Coordinate/prepare for training events, including: employee communication, setting up registration in class system, booking rooms, room set-up, audio visual set-up, catering coordination and set up, and preparation of course training materials (including photocopying, printing and assembly).
- Provide input & material for the monthly HR Newsletter.
- Conduct exit interviews for all employee initiated departures.
- Administer annual employee perspective surveys.
- Prepare HR Metrics and reporting as required.
What You Need:
You are a high-energy individual who thrives in a dynamic environment. You have completed a Business degree/college diploma with a Human Resources specialization or equivalent combination of related education and experience. Your education is complemented by at least three years of progressive human resources experience. Preference will be given to those who have achieved the CHRP designation. Attention to detail, ability to prioritize multiple tasks, and dependability are required for this position. An appreciation of fun in the workplace and a sense of humor are essential.
Proficiency with Microsoft products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and ability to navigate the web are necessary. You must possess strong communication skills (verbal and written) that allow you to adapt to different customers. Your initiative to solve problems in a creative manner will allow you to excel in this position. Taking personal responsibility for delivering on commitments, ability to respond to changing circumstances and priorities; general knowledge of human programs and resources, and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality will ensure your success. Your proven track record in working independently and in a team environment is an asset to the work you will do.